IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags soccer

Old 17th August 2012, 12:34 PM   #1
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Why are soccer fields sacrosanct?

This morning, I found a petition in my e-mail to save an organic farm from being bulldozed to make way for soccer fields. This struck a chord in me because the city council of Pasadena, California, near where I live, wants to bulldoze and grade a natural area in Hahamongna Park to create three soccer fields where there is now a seasonal lake. To leave the natural area as is, an area where urban kids can easily get to that has a natural habitat, including frogs and tadpoles in the spring, costs nothing.

To create the three new soccer fields would require not only bulldozing and grading, but hauling in sediment to build up the areas to avoid flooding (remember the seasonal lake). However, this is only the beginning of the costs, fiscal and environmental. Not only will non-native grass have to be planted and regularly watered, insecticides will have to be sprayed in the area, along with herbicides to discourage weeds, and rodent poisons to keep out the gophers. Since the fields would be set up to be used at night as well as day, street lighting would also have to be installed, as well as paved parking areas. You can, effectively, kiss any wildlife in the area good-bye. Whatever isn't killed by toxins will be driven out. by the excess traffic, noise and nighttime lighting. Also, all this expense would be incurred by a city in a cash-strapped state.

At a public meeting held by the city council on the subject one of those supporting the building of soccer fields in the area was a weepy lady (the Pasadena city council specializes in bringing in weepy ladies to support its machinations) who, in a voice near to tears, bemoaned the fact that, "We're running out of soccer fields!" Well, yeah, lady, given that Southern California, like any other region, is finite, and given the relentless promotion of the sport by the American Soccer Association, you are running out of soccer fields and will do so whether these three are built or not.

It seems that the spin that was put on this push for the three soccer fields was that, if you oppose more soccer fields, you're an antisocial s.o.b., who's shortchanging our children. Given the comments made at that meeting, most of those in attendance were in that antisocial group. As readers can probably guess, Im dead set against the soccer fields. So, I was wondering:when and why did soccer fields become sacrosanct?
TimCallahan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2012, 12:42 PM   #2
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

I'd say bulldoze the "organic" farm and put the fields there. I believe that's option B, if I followed the story correctly.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2012, 12:50 PM   #3
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
I'd say bulldoze the "organic" farm and put the fields there. I believe that's option B, if I followed the story correctly.
And your reasoning for this opinion is? Also, does this go for Hahamongna as well?
TimCallahan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2012, 12:51 PM   #4
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by TimCallahan View Post
This morning, I found a petition in my e-mail to save an organic farm from being bulldozed to make way for soccer fields. This struck a chord in me because the city council of Pasadena, California, near where I live, wants to bulldoze and grade a natural area in Hahamongna Park to create three soccer fields where there is now a seasonal lake. To leave the natural area as is, an area where urban kids can easily get to that has a natural habitat, including frogs and tadpoles in the spring, costs nothing.

To create the three new soccer fields would require not only bulldozing and grading, but hauling in sediment to build up the areas to avoid flooding (remember the seasonal lake). However, this is only the beginning of the costs, fiscal and environmental. Not only will non-native grass have to be planted and regularly watered, insecticides will have to be sprayed in the area, along with herbicides to discourage weeds, and rodent poisons to keep out the gophers. Since the fields would be set up to be used at night as well as day, street lighting would also have to be installed, as well as paved parking areas. You can, effectively, kiss any wildlife in the area good-bye. Whatever isn't killed by toxins will be driven out. by the excess traffic, noise and nighttime lighting. Also, all this expense would be incurred by a city in a cash-strapped state.

At a public meeting held by the city council on the subject one of those supporting the building of soccer fields in the area was a weepy lady (the Pasadena city council specializes in bringing in weepy ladies to support its machinations) who, in a voice near to tears, bemoaned the fact that, "We're running out of soccer fields!" Well, yeah, lady, given that Southern California, like any other region, is finite, and given the relentless promotion of the sport by the American Soccer Association, you are running out of soccer fields and will do so whether these three are built or not.

It seems that the spin that was put on this push for the three soccer fields was that, if you oppose more soccer fields, you're an antisocial s.o.b., who's shortchanging our children. Given the comments made at that meeting, most of those in attendance were in that antisocial group. As readers can probably guess, Im dead set against the soccer fields. So, I was wondering:when and why did soccer fields become sacrosanct?
I would ask a few questions:
Is this the only place they can put the fields and/or the most convenient?
Are there any conservation easements on the land which building the fields would violate?
Is there any other place they could put the fields?

In my town they tried to put a baseball field on open space land. It was fought successfully.

BTW: I'm pro-sports fields, but I don't think a sports field is necessarily a better use that anything else.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2012, 12:52 PM   #5
Quietus
Scholar

It doesn't sound like soccer fields are sacrosanct, more like someone would benefit from the development and needs to push it.

Its pretty damn tough here to get permission to develop on a wetland, seasonal or otherwise. Is it the same in California? Might explain the hardsell via the weepy (old?) lady...

No idea what wildlife may be found there... House Mice and Rock Doves also constitute "wildlife...'
Quietus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2012, 01:03 PM   #6
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Why can't the kids just play soccer in the street?
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2012, 01:05 PM   #7
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Quietus View Post
It doesn't sound like soccer fields are sacrosanct, more like someone would benefit from the development and needs to push it.

Its pretty damn tough here to get permission to develop on a wetland, seasonal or otherwise. Is it the same in California? Might explain the hardsell via the weepy (old?) lady...

No idea what wildlife may be found there... House Mice and Rock Doves also constitute "wildlife...'
The wildlife consists of a considerable variety of birds, frogs, toads and tadpoles (in season), as well as raccoons skunks opossums and deer. The plant life includes willows, cottonwoods, sycamores and, most importantly California valley live-oaks. Here is a video on the place.
Old 17th August 2012, 01:05 PM   #8
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

And your reasoning for this opinion is? Also, does this go for Hahamongna as well?
Sounds like a lot less work, given that farms are generally flat already. Plus it will make hippies cry.

The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2012, 01:09 PM   #9
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Possibly, your question is meant as sarcasm. I'm not against soccer fields per se. However, there's a lot less accessible wild areas than there are soccer fields.
Old 17th August 2012, 01:11 PM   #10
Quietus
Scholar

The wildlife consists of a considerable variety of birds, frogs, toads and tadpoles (in season), as well as raccoons skunks opossums and deer. The plant life includes willows, cottonwoods, sycamores and, most importantly California valley live-oaks. Here is a video on the place.
Would the live-oak be this one? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_Oak

Endemic animals and plants tend to get in the way of development...
Quietus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2012, 01:12 PM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Enh. People get emotionally attached to different things. I know a guy who sometimes seems to believe his entire raison d'etre is tightly bound to whether or not California puts in a high-speed rail line...

Anyway, what happened at the meeting? Did you get to talk to the people who had such strong feelings for soccer fields? Did you get to express your own feelings on the matter?

Why are soccer fields profane, to you?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2012, 01:14 PM   #12
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Sounds like a lot less work, given that farms are generally flat already. Plus it will make hippies cry.
Ah, I see. So, if I advocate leaving a natural area alone rather than spending a lot of money to make it over into soccer fields, pavement and street lighting, when our state is so cash strapped that it's plundering motorists with excessive traffic fines, that makes me a hippie? Try reason rather than sarcasm next time.
Old 17th August 2012, 01:27 PM   #13
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Enh. People get emotionally attached to different things. I know a guy who sometimes seems to believe his entire raison d'etre is tightly bound to whether or not California puts in a high-speed rail line...

Anyway, what happened at the meeting? Did you get to talk to the people who had such strong feelings for soccer fields? Did you get to express your own feelings on the matter?

Why are soccer fields profane, to you?
The meeting was largely inconclusive. However, most of the speakers there, myself included, opposed the city's plan. For the most part, I think these meetings are inconsequential, just window dressing to make people think their opinion counts. The city council doesn't listen to anyone opposed to what they've already made up their minds to do. Legal action usually works better. I think our state and local governments' budgetary woes will hold off the city for a time.

While I'm not fond of team sports, I'm not necessarily against soccer fields. I just don't see any reason to build them - at great expense, I might add - in the midst of a wild area where the city wants these.
Old 17th August 2012, 01:27 PM   #14
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, I see. So, if I advocate leaving a natural area alone rather than spending a lot of money to make it over into soccer fields, pavement and street lighting, when our state is so cash strapped that it's plundering motorists with excessive traffic fines, that makes me a hippie? Try reason rather than sarcasm next time.
No. And no. In this case sarcasm is reason.

Old 17th August 2012, 01:37 PM   #15
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Quietus View Post
Would the live-oak be this one? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_Oak

Endemic animals and plants tend to get in the way of development...
Close, but that's Quercus lobata. It's more like this, Quercus agrifolia.

The whole point of this park is to be n area that doesn't get developed.
Old 17th August 2012, 01:42 PM   #16
TimCallahan
Philosopher

No. And no. In this case sarcasm is reason.
Are you talking about the organic farm or Hahamongna? If it's the latter, please explain.

If it's the former, we may not have that much of a quarrel. The e-mail I found today mainly got me thinking about the the Pasadena city council's plan.
Old 17th August 2012, 02:01 PM   #17
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Why can't they just play it in Europe and leave American kids to play American sports: Football, Baseball, Basketball, Mumblety-Peg, CornHole( ) and the like.

It's just what them furriners want - have us wreck our beautiful lands to muck about with their evil furriner games... Dammit get offa my lawn you pesky kids!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2012, 02:02 PM   #18
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Are you talking about the organic farm or Hahamongna? If it's the latter, please explain.

If it's the former, we may not have that much of a quarrel. The e-mail I found today mainly got me thinking about the the Pasadena city council's plan.
The "organic" farm.

Old 17th August 2012, 02:13 PM   #19
lopeyschools
Critical Thinker

People get passionate about sports. I'm not surprised old ladies (notorious for having excess free time to care about inconsquential things) are in tears about a soccer pitch.
lopeyschools is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2012, 02:32 PM   #20
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lopeyschools View Post
People get passionate about sports. I'm not surprised old ladies (notorious for having excess free time to care about inconsquential things) are in tears about a soccer pitch.
Actually, she was a middle-aged lady, and the meeting was at night. Previously, the Pasadena city council had a public meeting on their plan to cut down mature Indian ficus shade trees on Colorado Blvd. because they had a plan to replace them with alternating ginkos and Mexican fan palms. When, at a public meeting, most participants said it was a stupid idea to cut down well established shade trees, the council failed to come to any conclusion. Then they held another meeting, which the misrepresented as being on "tree planting." At that meeting they brought in a bunch of people to support their position - including a weepy lady who said she was afraid every time she went out of her shop at night because the dense foliage of the shade trees made it so dark. Yeah, lady, it gets dark at night. That's why cities have street lighting.

The upshot of this was that they cut down the mature shade trees so they could put forward their plan. Now, that section of Colorado Blvd. is hot and shadeless. Most of the ginkos are not doing well, and it will be decades before there's decent shade there again.
Old 17th August 2012, 02:44 PM   #21
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

A seasonal lake? Isn't that a "vernal pool" ? Talk about sacrosanct.
Old 17th August 2012, 02:51 PM   #22
IMST
If Charlie Parker Was a Gunslinger, There'd Be a Whole Lot of Dead Copycats

Kids are fat. Soccer players aren't. Soccer fields are a good public investment. Without being familiar with the area in question, I can't possibly weigh in on whether the location in question is an appropriate one or not.
Old 17th August 2012, 05:10 PM   #23
Sam.I.Am
Illuminator

Why are you against job creation? I'd also ask if the city is planning on charging fees to use the facilities (league play and such) if so then wouldn't that bring it closer to being either cost neutral or even a possible revenue source?

You also didn't address what it costs now to maintain that area. I find it highly unlikely that the city spends zero dollars per year on the land if for no other reason than seasonal lakes are breeding grounds for mosquitoes that need to be controlled, skunk and raccoon populations are a serious rabies hazard that need to be at least monitored and keeping the brush under control for fire safety reasons along with all sorts of other stuff that most people don't think of when they see "Empty" land. All of that can add up.

About my avatar.
Sam.I.Am is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2012, 06:17 PM   #24
lopeyschools
Critical Thinker

Actually, she was a middle-aged lady, and the meeting was at night. Previously, the Pasadena city council had a public meeting on their plan to cut down mature Indian ficus shade trees on Colorado Blvd. because they had a plan to replace them with alternating ginkos and Mexican fan palms. When, at a public meeting, most participants said it was a stupid idea to cut down well established shade trees, the council failed to come to any conclusion. Then they held another meeting, which the misrepresented as being on "tree planting." At that meeting they brought in a bunch of people to support their position - including a weepy lady who said she was afraid every time she went out of her shop at night because the dense foliage of the shade trees made it so dark. Yeah, lady, it gets dark at night. That's why cities have street lighting.

The upshot of this was that they cut down the mature shade trees so they could put forward their plan. Now, that section of Colorado Blvd. is hot and shadeless. Most of the ginkos are not doing well, and it will be decades before there's decent shade there again.
What exactly do you mean by middle-aged? I should warn you I am 24.
lopeyschools is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2012, 06:22 PM   #25
jj
Penultimate Amazing

Around here, we have a gazillion soccer fields. Most are on public land, and are rented to the soccer group that dominates the area, and plays nasty if anyone dares to complain.

They just ate the model glider airport with understandings that they have to provide access, there's a separate parking lot with "no soccer parking" and so on. Guess how well that works?
jj is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2012, 06:24 PM   #26
lopeyschools
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Sam.I.Am View Post
Why are you against job creation? I'd also ask if the city is planning on charging fees to use the facilities (league play and such) if so then wouldn't that bring it closer to being either cost neutral or even a possible revenue source?

You also didn't address what it costs now to maintain that area. I find it highly unlikely that the city spends zero dollars per year on the land if for no other reason than seasonal lakes are breeding grounds for mosquitoes that need to be controlled, skunk and raccoon populations are a serious rabies hazard that need to be at least monitored and keeping the brush under control for fire safety reasons along with all sorts of other stuff that most people don't think of when they see "Empty" land. All of that can add up.
Rabies? really?

http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/location/u...an_rabies.html
Old 17th August 2012, 07:33 PM   #27
Sam.I.Am
Illuminator

Yes really. California has very aggressive rabies control programs both at the state and local levels. So much so that certain animals (like ferrets, which are more difficult to inoculate due to their needing a different type of live vaccine) aren't even allowed to be brought into the state as pets even if they are spayed or neutered first. The infection rate is so low because of those programs but there are still outbreaks in wild animal populations from time to time and skunks and raccoons are some of the worst culprits for spreading the disease in those cases.

About my avatar.
Sam.I.Am is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2012, 08:17 PM   #28
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

Why not raze City Hall to build soccer fields? Think of the children!
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2012, 08:17 AM   #29
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
A seasonal lake? Isn't that a "vernal pool" ? Talk about sacrosanct.
Again, take a look at the video link. Consider how many trees have to be chopped down, how much sediment needs to be hauled onto the site, the expense of putting in a watering system to keep the field reasonably green, the amount of insecticide, herbicide and rodent poison required, the cost of paving an area for parking lots and the cost of putting in nighttime lighting.

Also, the seasonal lake does have frogs and tadpoles, which most of the kids who go there will have never seen in an urban setting.
Old 18th August 2012, 08:18 AM   #30
TimCallahan
Philosopher

What exactly do you mean by middle-aged? I should warn you I am 24.
She seemed to be in her 40s. The main point is that she wasn't an old woman.
Old 18th August 2012, 08:23 AM   #31
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by IMST View Post
Kids are fat. Soccer players aren't. Soccer fields are a good public investment. Without being familiar with the area in question, I can't possibly weigh in on whether the location in question is an appropriate one or not.
Hikers, cyclists and, for the most part, equestrians are also not fat. Again, my objection is where they are proposing to build these fields.
Old 18th August 2012, 08:34 AM   #32
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sam.I.Am View Post

Yeah, that's the usual attack mounted on anyone who opposes developing anything. I could as easily ask you what you have against peace and quiet.

As to mosquito populations, they don't seem to be that much of a problem in the area. I regularly hike on a trail that parallels a creek. In summer, when the creek bed is reduced to stagnant pools, the gnats can be really irritating. However, I have yet to be bit by mosquitos while hiking. I suspect the reason for this is two fold. First, the frogs tend to keep the mosquitos down. Second, mosquitos tend to be most active after dark.

As to skunks and raccoons, they, along with coyotes, have already penetrated deep into the city of Pasadena and are doing well there. Rabies doesn't seem to be a problem.
Old 18th August 2012, 08:38 AM   #33
swright777
Muse

Seconded!
swright777 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2012, 08:40 AM   #34
swright777
Muse

As to mosquito populations, they don't seem to be that much of a problem in the area.
Did you stop to think that maybe the mosquito control program (if there is one) is working?
swright777 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2012, 09:05 AM   #35
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by swright777 View Post
Did you stop to think that maybe the mosquito control program (if there is one) is working?
I haven't, as yet, been able to find anything out about mosquito abatement in Hahamongna Park. I'll try calling the San Gabriel Valley Mosquito Abatement District tomorrow to find out about their operations there and the cost. I was able to find that there are mosquito fish in the creek that runs through the area.

One thing I was able to find out was that one of the main sources of mosquitos in the San Gabriel Valley was poorly maintained swimming pools.

I have never seen any indication of mosquito abatement in the creek bed of the national forest are where I hike. That, of course, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

ETA: People have been enjoying the park for generations without any great complaint about either excess mosquitos or any excessive tax burden relating to the area.

Last edited by TimCallahan; 18th August 2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 18th August 2012, 09:31 AM   #36
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

I haven't, as yet, been able to find anything out about mosquito abatement in Hahamongna Park. I'll try calling the San Gabriel Valley Mosquito Abatement District tomorrow to find out about their operations there and the cost. I was able to find that there are mosquito fish in the creek that runs through the area.

One thing I was able to find out was that one of the main sources of mosquitos in the San Gabriel Valley was poorly maintained swimming pools.

I have never seen any indication of mosquito abatement in the creek bed of the national forest are where I hike. That, of course, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

ETA: People have been enjoying the park for generations without any great complaint about either excess mosquitos or any excessive tax burden relating to the area.
One common method of mosquito abatement is to drop some "mosquito eater" fish into any large puddles. Unless you happened to come across them while they were doing it, you wouldn't really notice anything out of the ordinary.
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2012, 09:32 AM   #37
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

The "weeping lady" has been a fixture in public hearings for the last thirty years at least - whatever the subject - and I suspect that there must be an acting school somewhere that turns out graduates to meet the demand.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2012, 09:47 AM   #38
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if she's a mom on one of those teams in AYSO that are taught to throw themselves on the ground and pretend agony if they lose the ball to another player?
Old 18th August 2012, 10:04 AM   #39
IMST
If Charlie Parker Was a Gunslinger, There'd Be a Whole Lot of Dead Copycats

Hikers, cyclists and, for the most part, equestrians are also not fat. Again, my objection is where they are proposing to build these fields.
Did I disagree with the location objection? I said I don't know the area and couldn't possibly comment.

Hiking (at least in nature) requires transportation, cycling requires a bike, equestrian requires a damn horse. Soccer requires an open space and one in 22 people having a ball. Soccer's a team sport, which gives peer pressure to work hard where hiking, cycling and equestrian often don't. I would love to see the reaction from a poor parent when you suggest that they have their kids take up equestrian instead of soccer.
Old 18th August 2012, 10:36 AM   #40
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TjW View Post
I wonder if she's a mom on one of those teams in AYSO that are taught to throw themselves on the ground and pretend agony if they lose the ball to another player?
I saw one of those on truTV... a Russian lady got a traffic ticket, and the **** fit she threw was worthy of the best 3 year old!
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events