IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 23rd May 2020, 12:35 PM   #81
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Oh, and he's hitting the links today!
I don't fault him for taking a few hours on Memorial Day weekend to do a little golfing. I believe it's been weeks since he's done it, and this weekend is strongly traditional for starting summer activities.

Fault 90% of the other times? Sure.
Old 23rd May 2020, 01:01 PM   #82
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Retired Adm. William McRaven said Thursday that the US is under attack from President Donald Trump, who he believes is working to "destroy" the country from "within" and "without."

Quote:
"If you want to destroy an organization, any organization, you destroy it from within, you destroy it from without and then what you do is you convince everybody that you're doing the right thing," McRaven told CNN's Jake Tapper on "The Lead."
"So when you take a look at what the President has done, he's undermined the intelligence community, the law enforcement community, the Department of Justice, the State Department. He has called the press the enemy of the American people and I will tell you, I've fought a lot of America's enemies. The press is not the enemy of the American people."
Quote:
"He's obviously left our allies the Kurds on the battlefield. We feel like we've betrayed them. He's undermined our NATO allies, he's taken us out of the JCPOA and the TPP and really the international community has lost faith in America. And then throughout the course of all of this, he's convinced us he's doing it for all the right reasons, and I think that is really what is troubling."
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/10/17/p...ntv/index.html
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 01:09 PM   #83
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Retweeted
@thejtlewis
President Trump is beating Biden by 7+ points in the latest CNN poll. And you can add 10% just because it’s a CNN poll!
I understand with trumpettes it doesn't matter whether a statement is true or false, but take a gander at the latest from Fox News. If this is what Fox is showing, I'd say trump is in trouble. (And I hope so. We can't take four more years of this insanity.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fox Poll 05202020.jpg (72.0 KB, 15 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 01:27 PM   #84
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
I understand with trumpettes it doesn't matter whether a statement is true or false, but take a gander at the latest from Fox News. If this is what Fox is showing, I'd say trump is in trouble. (And I hope so. We can't take four more years of this insanity.)
And you can substract 10% just because it's a FOX news poll .
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 01:35 PM   #85
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The trouble with this is that it's a national poll vs state polls. As we learned in 2016, the majority of Americans may vote for Biden, but it's those swing states that decide who's elected.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 01:39 PM   #86
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
And you can substract 10% just because it's a FOX news poll .
To give a slightly serious response to this... IIRC, Fox's polling is actually pretty decent in general. The polling itself, at least. The cherry-picking from it, especially on the nonsense opinion shows, of course, tends to be extremely dishonest.
Old 23rd May 2020, 01:45 PM   #87
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
To give a slightly serious response to this... IIRC, Fox's polling is actually pretty decent in general. The polling itself, at least. The cherry-picking from it, especially on the nonsense opinion shows, of course, tends to be extremely dishonest.
Sure . Just in case it wasn't clear, it was a retort to the "add 10% because CNN" part of the tweet that was quoted in the post I quoted.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 01:55 PM   #88
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

USA will be bigger ... than ever before!

Bigger? Is he planning on annexing Canada?

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Quote:
"... but leave it to the media to find a shameful reason not to simply report the facts, focusing instead on whether the check is real or not.”

What an amazing way to spin being asked, "Are you lot really this incompetent?"
Old 23rd May 2020, 02:55 PM   #89
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Well, we sure know he has no interest in Mexico with all their rapists, thugs, and murderers!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 02:58 PM   #90
Cain
Straussian

Retired Adm. William McRaven said Thursday that the US is under attack from President Donald Trump, who he believes is working to "destroy" the country from "within" and "without."

This guy sounds so naive, it's little wonder he got played by Putin.

Now with Trump at the helm, Putin says we have leadership he respects.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 03:39 PM   #91
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Nitpick: He didn't say it on Thursday; that article is dated October 17, 2019.

However, I agree with him completely.

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 04:47 PM   #92
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Greenland wasn't it?
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 04:50 PM   #93
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Thank you!
Quote Tweet

Extremely Stable Genius #ChinaLied
@MazurikL
I WILL NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING AN AMERICAN! We are the greatest nation in the world. @realDonaldTrump is the greatest President of all time. Thank you for bringing manufacturing back to the USA & supporting the will of the people! #AmericaFirst #Trump
Old 23rd May 2020, 04:52 PM   #94
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

GirlHeart suitBot
@AMErikaNGIRLLL
WATCHDownwards arrowNew Jersey Public School Teacher Tells Students Playing soccerHeavy minus sign’I hope you die!Heavy minus signI hope you both get the Corona virus and die a long painful death!’
https://twitter.com/AMErikaNGIRLLL/s...95872942120963 (video in link)

GirlHeart suitBot
@AMErikaNGIRLLL
The highest ranking members of the FBI , NSA and CIA were not only spying on Trump- They were trying to subvert his election win with #FakeIntelligence and a #FakeInvestigation Fire
Old 23rd May 2020, 04:53 PM   #95
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Trump War Room - Text TRUMP to 88022 & get the APP
@TrumpWarRoom
WATCH: @KatrinaPierson explains Joe Biden's long pattern of taking Black voters for granted.
"Joe Biden thinks that the Black vote is a joke. This is a pattern of Joe Biden and a pattern of white liberals in general."
Old 23rd May 2020, 04:54 PM   #96
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Greenland wasn't it?
If we can't get Greenland by buying it, we'll take it by force! Just like Hawaii!
Old 23rd May 2020, 04:55 PM   #97
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

TRANSITION TO GREATNESS!

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

Jeff, you had your chance & you blew it. Recused yourself ON DAY ONE (you never told me of a problem), and ran for the hills. You had no courage, & ruined many lives. The dirty cops, & others, got caught by better & stronger people than you. Hopefully this slime will pay a big...

....price. You should drop out of the race & pray that super liberal @DougJones, a weak & pathetic puppet for Crazy Nancy Pelosi & Cryin’ Chuck Schumer, gets beaten badly. He voted for impeachment based on “ZERO”. Disgraced Alabama. Coach @TTuberville will be a GREAT Senator!
Old 23rd May 2020, 05:00 PM   #98
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Thank you!
Quote Tweet

Extremely Stable Genius #ChinaLied
@MazurikL
I WILL NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING AN AMERICAN! We are the greatest nation in the world. @realDonaldTrump is the greatest President of all time. Thank you for bringing manufacturing back to the USA & supporting the will of the people! #AmericaFirst #Trump
Trump Retweeted

GirlHeart suitBot
@AMErikaNGIRLLL
WATCHDownwards arrowNew Jersey Public School Teacher Tells Students Playing soccerHeavy minus sign’I hope you die!Heavy minus signI hope you both get the Corona virus and die a long painful death!’
https://twitter.com/AMErikaNGIRLLL/s...95872942120963 (video in link)

GirlHeart suitBot
@AMErikaNGIRLLL
The highest ranking members of the FBI , NSA and CIA were not only spying on Trump- They were trying to subvert his election win with #FakeIntelligence and a #FakeInvestigation Fire
Trump Retweeted

Trump War Room - Text TRUMP to 88022 & get the APP
@TrumpWarRoom
WATCH: @KatrinaPierson explains Joe Biden's long pattern of taking Black voters for granted.
"Joe Biden thinks that the Black vote is a joke. This is a pattern of Joe Biden and a pattern of white liberals in general."
I wonder how many times Trump retweets Russian et al. bots.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 23rd May 2020 at 05:07 PM.
Old 23rd May 2020, 05:04 PM   #99
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I wonder how many of times Trump retweets Russian et al. bots.
He has no idea and doesn't care, as long as they say nice things he will thank and quote anyone. You could post using the tag Pol Pot or Hitler and he would thank you
Old 23rd May 2020, 05:06 PM   #100
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

A blow to her head? Body found under his desk? Left Congress suddenly? Big topic of discussion in Florida...and, he’s a Nut Job (with bad ratings). Keep digging, use forensic geniuses!
Quote Tweet

Matt Couch
@RealMattCouch
Trump Calls For Investigation Into Joe Scarborough For Murder of Staffer in 2001 https://thedcpatriot.com/trump-calls...affer-in-2001/
Old 23rd May 2020, 05:14 PM   #101
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

A blow to her head? Body found under his desk? Left Congress suddenly? Big topic of discussion in Florida...and, he’s a Nut Job (with bad ratings). Keep digging, use forensic geniuses!
Quote Tweet

Matt Couch
@RealMattCouch
Trump Calls For Investigation Into Joe Scarborough For Murder of Staffer in 2001 https://thedcpatriot.com/trump-calls...affer-in-2001/
We can expect him to JAQ about the Clintons and Vince Foster any time now.
Old 23rd May 2020, 05:22 PM   #102
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Is the president supposed to accuse people of murder?
Old 23rd May 2020, 05:31 PM   #103
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Average weight?
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 05:32 PM   #104
Aridas

Depends.

When it comes to Trump, though, it's well worth remembering that he has no problems pointedly defending people that he knows are murderers.
Old 23rd May 2020, 06:26 PM   #105
Lurch
Master Poster

This hugging, wearing, squatting upon and humping of the flag is one of a number of backward, even primitive aspects of America that baffle the world--or at least the civilized parts:

- "Mah gunz!"
- "Mah freedumb!"
- "No commie Metric system!"
- "No commie health care!"
- "No tax!"
- "No welfare!"

I know it's not a majority in all instances who decry progress. But enough do, and one of the two political parties is all to happy to pander to them. To the point of installing such a laughable clown to cry over as Trump to represent them on the world stage. How far has fallen a once great nation. I fear it will require at least a generation to get past this episode of depravity. The young must be the vanguard that holds at bay the nihilistic impulses of the older cohort that fears the diminution of whiteness. Keeps in check the hypocritical, anti-Christian "Christians" who would sell their souls for power to oppress the majority. Brings to heel the unfettered greed of the monied class, for whom lust after the almighty dollar eclipses every notion of contribution to the common good.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 06:29 PM   #106
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Not really, no. In fact, in a saner time (1970, and it's hard to imagine calling the year of Vietnam and Kent State "saner," but there ya go), Richard Nixon got lambasted for suggesting that Charles Manson, then on trial, was "guilty, directly or indirectly, of eight murders without reason." And now we have a President openly accusing a political foe of a murder, with no evidence and for no other reason than (IMO) as a distraction for his mouth-breather die-hard constituency.

The ironic thing is that Nixon's basic complaint, in context, was the way the media was portraying Manson as a "rather glamorous figure"- IOW, "fake news." And Trump, of course, while complaining endlessly about "fake news," is busily manufacturing some to keep the focus off of his own manifold (and manifest) failings.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King

Last edited by turingtest; 23rd May 2020 at 06:35 PM. Reason: grammar
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 06:33 PM   #107
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
This hugging, wearing, squatting upon and humping of the flag is one of a number of backward, even primitive aspects of America that baffle the world--or at least the civilized parts:

- "Mah gunz!"
- "Mah freedumb!"
- "No commie Metric system!"
- "No commie health care!"
- "No tax!"
- "No welfare!"

I know it's not a majority in all instances who decry progress. But enough do, and one of the two political parties is all to happy to pander to them. To the point of installing such a laughable clown to cry over as Trump to represent them on the world stage. How far has fallen a once great nation. I fear it will require at least a generation to get past this episode of depravity. The young must be the vanguard that holds at bay the nihilistic impulses of the older cohort that fears the diminution of whiteness. Keeps in check the hypocritical, anti-Christian "Christians" who would sell their souls for power to oppress the majority. Brings to heel the unfettered greed of the monied class, for whom lust after the almighty dollar eclipses every notion of contribution to the common good.

Trump wants to Make America Great Again but I find his entire presidency and those who support him (overwhelmingly GOP) are doing the exact opposite. I'm hoping that this is the extreme end of the swinging pendulum and it will now start to swing the other way.
Old 23rd May 2020, 06:35 PM   #108
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Not really, no. In fact, in a saner time (1970, and it's hard to imagine calling the year of Vietnam and Kent State "saner," but there ya go), Richard Nixon got lambasted for suggesting that Charles Manson, then on trial, was "guilty, directly or indirectly, of eight murders without reason." And now we have a President openly accusing a political foe of a murder, with no evidence and for no other reason than (IMO) as a distraction for his mouth-breather die-hard constituency.

And the ironic thing is that Nixon's basic complaint, in context, was the way the media was portraying Manson as a "rather glamorous figure"- IOW, "fake news." And Trump, of course, while complaining endlessly about "fake news," is busily manufacturing some to keep the focus off of his own manifold (and manifest) failings.

His base is a collective example of the Dunning-Kruger effect.
Old 23rd May 2020, 06:37 PM   #109
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

This is like a bad dream. Even for trump this is hard to believe. One of the accusers has written:
Quote:
"What might a young woman have heard in a Republican office 2 months before 9/11? What if she learned something she wasn’t supposed to?"
Almost impossible to believe even trump could go off the rails like this. Hillary belongs in jail. China developed the coronavirus. Which one of trump's sons says is a hoax that will disappear if Joe Biden gets elected. Obama committed the worst political crime in history. Joe Scarborough murdered a staffer. This whackjob might say anything. Where are the men in white coats when we need them? This has got to stop. We can't go on like this. Can we?
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 06:48 PM   #110
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

This is like a bad dream. Even for trump this is hard to believe. One of the accusers has written:

Almost impossible to believe even trump could go off the rails like this. Hillary belongs in jail. China developed the coronavirus. Which one of trump's sons says is a hoax that will disappear if Joe Biden gets elected. Obama committed the worst political crime in history. Joe Scarborough murdered a staffer. This whackjob might say anything. Where are the men in white coats when we need them? This has got to stop. We can't go on like this. Can we?
We have no choice but to. We have to hang on. We have to outlive this insanity.

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 07:18 PM   #111
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

It's basically everything we spent years warning about in the conspiracy theories forum. Widespread belief in CTs is corrosive to democracy. How can a CTist even conceive of voting for one side, when they really believe they're a bunch of murdering psychopaths who have kiddie sex dungeons in the basement of a pizza parlor? How can a non-CTist even conceive of voting for a party that actively promotes those kinds of nonsense beliefs? How do you debate with someone who turns around and spouts brand new nonsense every day? How do you debate with someone who thinks you're crazy and/or fatally stupid?

Politics is the art of compromise. How can there be a compromise when there's no middle ground between crazy and sane?
Old 23rd May 2020, 08:32 PM   #112
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I had a Silverado for a while. It had fuel lines, hydraulic lines, even some water lines. But I don't think it had any blood lines.

I've never owned a Ford, so I don't know about them.
A certain 1958 Plymouth Fury had bloodlines.
Christine!

Well sure, but ... you know ... Plymouth.

What can you expect?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 09:09 PM   #113
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

How can a CTist even conceive of voting for one side, when they really believe they're a bunch of murdering psychopaths who have kiddie sex dungeons in the basement of a pizza parlor?
Because they don't really believe it. The CT stuff is just fodder for demonizing the enemy.

What they really believe is that if Democrats get into power they will be forced to consider the needs of others, a fate far worse than being raped and murdered.

Quote:
Politics is the art of compromise. How can there be a compromise when there's no middle ground between crazy and sane?
It can be done, but first you have to understand the real issues. It's not the CTs, they are just a means to an end.
Old 23rd May 2020, 10:27 PM   #114
Cain
Straussian

How can all of you be so certain that there isn't a Deep State, pedophile network of Satan-worshipping cannibals?
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 10:30 PM   #115
StillSleepy
Muse

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
How can all of you be so certain that there isn't a Deep State, pedophile network of Satan-worshipping cannibals?
We're vegan.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~ Patrick F. McManus, “Never Sniff A Gift Fish”
StillSleepy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 11:04 PM   #116
Aridas

Originally Posted by StillSleepy View Post
We're vegan.
Try not to mark up the moon too much with your vegan powers, though.
Old 23rd May 2020, 11:55 PM   #117
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Frankly, that would be an improvement on who is running the USA currently.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2020, 01:25 AM   #118
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
The trouble with this is that it's a national poll vs state polls. As we learned in 2016, the majority of Americans may vote for Biden, but it's those swing states that decide who's elected.
Yup, but it would be very hard to make up a nationwide 8% deficit into an victory in the EC. Not impossible I guess, but the combination of narrow wins in swing states and a blodbath everywhere else is pretty unlikely.
Old 24th May 2020, 01:57 AM   #119
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Kayleigh McEnany claimed on TV that Obama rushed off to golf after Daniel Pearl was beheaded.

Pearl was killed in 2002. Obama was a state senator.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/846584836517179392 (video in link)
Old 24th May 2020, 01:58 AM   #120
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

And it seems strange that Obama WASN'T in the While House during the 9/11 attacks.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics