IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 24th May 2020, 02:36 AM   #121
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
And it seems strange that Obama WASN'T in the While House during the 9/11 attacks.
or was he?
Old 24th May 2020, 02:51 AM   #122
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Oh, and he's hitting the links today!

Original Twitter link
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2020, 03:13 AM   #123
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Kayleigh McEnany claimed on TV that Obama rushed off to golf after Daniel Pearl was beheaded.

Pearl was killed in 2002. Obama was a state senator.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/846584836517179392 (video in link)

That’s not the important thing, what were her ratings?
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2020, 03:13 AM   #124
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I don't fault him for taking a few hours on Memorial Day weekend to do a little golfing. I believe it's been weeks since he's done it, and this weekend is strongly traditional for starting summer activities.
If he had been working diligently to fight the virus, I would have had no problem with giving him a few hours of rest and leisure time. Given he fills his timetable with "executive time" and has pretty much only be obstructing, lying, and pushing quack treatments, though, I wish his staff would take his toys away and send him to his room to think about his actions.

The problem is that it's hard to discipline the unruly child in the kindergarden when he has the power to fire you.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2020, 04:46 AM   #125
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Because they don't really believe it. The CT stuff is just fodder for demonizing the enemy.

See, we keep saying, "Oh, they don't really believe that ****...", but then they keep acting like they really do believe it. 44% of Republicans think Bill Gates is going to use the COVID vaccine to inject them with "microchips". How does that belief fit in with your "We just don't want the Democrats to win!" theory? The best thing that could happen for Trump right now is for someone, anyone, to find an effective vaccine, so he can go full steam ahead on getting the economy re-started. How does spreading CTs about vaccines help with that?

And then there's all these idiots running around during a pandemic. They're not just not following proper safety guidelines, lots of them are actively doing the exact opposite of what they should be doing. Why would they do that if they "really knew" the virus was real?

And then there's all the investigations into "voter fraud", which keep turning up zero evidence of voter fraud. If they knew the voter fraud claim was just a CT, they wouldn't keep investigating it. They'd find excuses why they couldn't investigate it* while continuing to promote the CT. But they act like they really do believe that this time, they'll find that smoking gun!

It's time to stop giving them the benefit of the doubt, and realize that for a lot of them, they're actually just this stupid, not evil. Well, still evil, but not for this reason.

*You know, just like they do with all of Trump's crimes
Old 24th May 2020, 05:10 AM   #126
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Kayleigh McEnany claimed on TV that Obama rushed off to golf after Daniel Pearl was beheaded.

I have a pretty firm memory of Obama golfing right after a beheading, and thinking the optics were horrible.

Perhaps someone other than Pearl? For my own mental health I really don’t want to google “beheadings”.

And I’ll stipulate in advance that my memory is at least as fallible as anyone else’s.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2020, 05:15 AM   #127
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
...I wish his staff would take his toys away and send him to his room to think about his actions.

The problem is that it's hard to discipline the unruly child in the kindergarden when he has the power to fire you.
This clip sums Trump up nicely:

https://youtu.be/MYr2XteXUB8
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2020, 05:34 AM   #128
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

And where was he when Pearl Harbor happened? CHECKMATE LIBTARDS!

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2020, 05:37 AM   #129
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I have a pretty firm memory of Obama golfing right after a beheading, and thinking the optics were horrible.

Perhaps someone other than Pearl? For my own mental health I really don’t want to google “beheadings”.

And I’ll stipulate in advance that my memory is at least as fallible as anyone else’s.
Mandela effect, possibly. I'm not going to look it up either, and either way it's a moot point, as we all know, just more "butbutblackman".
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2020, 06:09 AM   #130
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

I couldn't resist looking. Three things: 1. Kayleigh McEnany absolutely despises Barack Obama. 2. The clip is from 2017. 3. She used the wrong name. Oh, one more: 4. Kayleigh McEnany is despicable.

From the UK's Independent (from March 2017):
Quote:
Ms McEnany apologised for the blunder on Twitter on Tuesday morning and claimed she had used the wrong name. The surrogate suggested she had meant to refer to James Foley, a freelance photojournalist who was kidnapped in Syria and beheaded by Isis in 2014. "I apologise for using the wrong name. Both James Foley and Daniel Pearl lost their lives to terrorism & should be honoured by our leaders," she said. Link to Independent article
Quote:
Mr Obama was on holiday on Martha's Vineyard, an island in Massachusetts, when news of Foley's death emerged. He delivered remarks condemning Foley's killing from the Massachusetts island but made a trip to a golf course soon afterwards and was hounded by critics. He was later forced to admit that he should not have made the trip. “It is always a challenge when you're supposed to be on vacation,” he told Chuck Todd on NBC's Meet the Press a few weeks later. “There's no doubt that, after having talked to the families, where it was hard for me to hold back tears listening to the pain that they were going through, after the statement that I made, that you know, I should've anticipated the optics.”
Nothing to see here, folks, come on, move along.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2020, 06:11 AM   #131
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post

You remember correctly
Old 24th May 2020, 06:16 AM   #132
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I don't fault him for taking a few hours on Memorial Day weekend to do a little golfing. I believe it's been weeks since he's done it, and this weekend is strongly traditional for starting summer activities.

Fault 90% of the other times? Sure.
It's entirely unfair to attack Trump for playing golf at his club in Virginia. That's why I like the cartoon of him playing golf standing on dead bodies he swept under the rug so much.
Old 24th May 2020, 06:19 AM   #133
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Many physicians agree with you. Also, some very good studies! @SteveFDA @US_FDA
Quote Tweet

Dr. Marty Fox
@DrMartyFox
ATTN: @realDonaldTrump
HCQ Is Most Effective EARLY For #COVIDー19
Physician Petition To Issue Directives:
REMOVE Restrictions On EARLY Use By Governors & The FDA
Prohibit State Medical Boards From Threatening Doctors For EARLY Use
@SenRonJohnson
https://ronjohnson.senate.gov/public...6-9D1A979DDF59
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2020, 06:20 AM   #134
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I HOPE ALL AFRICAN AMERICANS WILL READ AND STUDY THIS. 100% CORRECT. SLEEPY JOE WILL NEVER GET YOU THERE. HE NEVER HAS IN THE PAST. I WILL & HAVE!!!
Quote Tweet

Ken Farnaso
@KLF
Under President @realDonaldTrump’s Administration: criminal justice reform, historic HBCU funding, Opportunity Zones, lowest black unemployment rate in American history. Under Joe? Mass incarceration, the crime bill, war on drugs. #YouAintBlack https://donaldjtrump.com/media/black...t-black-remark
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2020, 06:21 AM   #135
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

John K Stahl
@JohnKStahlUSA
When I see 1 of those polls that has Malarkey the Racist up 6-8 points everywhere, I’m thinking they must have called the same 1,000 people from 2016 that said HRC the Skank was up 6-8 %. #maga #tcot #kag

I like the way Kayleigh sets the agenda. She doesn’t take any crap off these pathetic, worthless, clueless DNC Shills. I love how she finishes by posing the questions they should be asking and then walks off. #maga #tcot #kag

What a great idea. DJT wants to start the “Shills in Space” concept. Excellent. #maga #kag #tcot
Old 24th May 2020, 06:22 AM   #136
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

John K Stahl
@JohnKStahlUSA
Is anyone buying that DimLib’s massive Vote-by-Mail plan is secure? I can confirm that voter rolls are 33% full of moved people/dead people. They will be sending 12 ballots to a home that has been sold 4 times. Old names are active. We can’t accept this fraud. #maga #tcot #kag

Kambree
@KamVTV
Well I’ll be...
South Carolina election ballots found in Maryland this week.
Old 24th May 2020, 06:24 AM   #137
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

John K Stahl
@JohnKStahlUSA
We just got a look at the official portrait for the self proclaimed Governor of Georgia. She fought a tough race, kissed a lot of babies and visited every buffet restaurant in the State. Joe will be a racist if he doesn’t pick her. #maga #tcot #kag

To protect PolyGrip during this pandemic, we have developed 2 options. With the DJT option, she will be able to tongue and adjust her dentures more easily. With duct tape, she won’t be able to drink booze on the job as much. Which do you think she will prefer? #maga #tcot #kag
Old 24th May 2020, 06:25 AM   #138
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Sean Hannity
@seanhannity
Clinton Aides Spent Millions to Push Russia Hoax AFTER Trump’s Inauguration

Anything I don't like is RACIST.
@JBaker31826004
I predict that @FLOTUS Melania will become the most popular FLOTUS since Jackie Kennedy. She is quietly working into the hearts of people.
Old 24th May 2020, 06:26 AM   #139
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Michael Moore Torches Biden: He Lacks ‘Necessary Enthusiasm‘ to Beat Trump https://breitbart.com/entertainment/...to-beat-trump/ via @BreitbartNews.
Well, he was right in 2016, and we do have great enthusiasm. Many say, done a fantastic job! DJT
Old 24th May 2020, 06:41 AM   #140
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
See, we keep saying, "Oh, they don't really believe that ****...", but then they keep acting like they really do believe it...
One of the few semi-intelligent trump supporter/right wingers that used to post here, regularly accused me of making things up, of being a liar. It became obvious that in his world, making something up to make a larger point seemed like a standard tactic. For him, I'm sure it was.

The two times that stand out were ridiculous. The first was when I wrote, the PR job on Hillary Clinton worked on me. I've always been a registered Democrat and gladly voted for Bill Clinton. But when Hillary ran for the senate in New York in 2000...I realized I just DID NOT LIKE HER. I wasn't really sure why. When I got in the voting booth on Election Day, I hesitated. I was writing this message fifteen years later and I remembered the Republican candidate was Rudy Giuliani but it wasn't. It was Rick somebody from Long Island. Giuliani lost in the primary. (Or maybe I'm making that up, too, but that's the way I remember it.) I wrote that I remembered standing in the voting booth, looking at the names and levers, and thinking, "I might vote for him. I don't know if I can vote for Hillary. I can't stand her." But then I thought, 'Hey I'm a registered Democrat, this is our candidate' and I voted for her. And she went on to be, in my opinion, an outstanding U.S. senator. I was making the point that the Republican smear job on Hillary Clinton had been VERY effective. But the trumpette said, "You made that up! You never considered voting for the Republican candidate."

The other time I recall -- and there were many other times -- was when I said I had seen Barack Obama on a news show back in the early 2000s. He was an Illinois state senator and it was a clip of him speaking to some group. I said I was very impressed and I filed that name away. The context of the show was, up-and-coming young Democrats.

This poster immediately fired back, 'You never saw him. You're making that up.'

That's what these people do. THEY make things up. Look at trump. Half of everything he says is made up. They tell themselves everybody else does it too and that is how they justify to themselves that it's okay for them to do it. I guess it's also a tactic, to avoid discussing something they don't want to discuss. Instead of making a counter-argument they just dismiss it. "You're making that up!"
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2020, 06:50 AM   #141
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Jeff Sessions Tweeted

Jeff Sessions
@jeffsessions
I will never apologize for following the law and serving faithfully and with honor. Neither of us knew about the phony investigation into our campaign until after I was sworn in. As you will recall, I recommended firing @Comey from the very beginning.
Old 24th May 2020, 07:47 AM   #142
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

A lot of interest in this story about Psycho Joe Scarborough. So a young marathon runner just happened to faint in his office, hit her head on his desk, & die? I would think there is a lot more to this story than that? An affair? What about the so-called investigator? Read story!
Quote Tweet

Thomas Paine
@Thomas1774Paine
Evidence Shows Foul Play Likely in Scarborough Aide’s Suspicious Death in His Congressional Office https://truepundit.com/flashback-evi...sional-office/
Old 24th May 2020, 07:48 AM   #143
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The United States cannot have all Mail In Ballots. It will be the greatest Rigged Election in history. People grab them from mailboxes, print thousands of forgeries and “force” people to sign. Also, forge names. Some absentee OK, when necessary. Trying to use Covid for this Scam!
Old 24th May 2020, 07:53 AM   #144
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Trump Retweeted

John K Stahl
@JohnKStahlUSA
We just got a look at the official portrait for the self proclaimed Governor of Georgia. She fought a tough race, kissed a lot of babies and visited every buffet restaurant in the State. Joe will be a racist if he doesn’t pick her. #maga #tcot #kag

To protect PolyGrip during this pandemic, we have developed 2 options. With the DJT option, she will be able to tongue and adjust her dentures more easily. With duct tape, she won’t be able to drink booze on the job as much. Which do you think she will prefer? #maga #tcot #kag
For anyone who (like me) was wondering just what in the actual **** Trump is (re)babbling about now...
The President of the United States Of America, everybody. Let's give him a round of applause, shall we? Such a classy guy...

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2020, 08:02 AM   #145
Paul2
Philosopher

See, we keep saying, "Oh, they don't really believe that ****...", but then they keep acting like they really do believe it. 44% of Republicans think Bill Gates is going to use the COVID vaccine to inject them with "microchips". How does that belief fit in with your "We just don't want the Democrats to win!" theory? The best thing that could happen for Trump right now is for someone, anyone, to find an effective vaccine, so he can go full steam ahead on getting the economy re-started. How does spreading CTs about vaccines help with that?

And then there's all these idiots running around during a pandemic. They're not just not following proper safety guidelines, lots of them are actively doing the exact opposite of what they should be doing. Why would they do that if they "really knew" the virus was real?

And then there's all the investigations into "voter fraud", which keep turning up zero evidence of voter fraud. If they knew the voter fraud claim was just a CT, they wouldn't keep investigating it. They'd find excuses why they couldn't investigate it* while continuing to promote the CT. But they act like they really do believe that this time, they'll find that smoking gun!

It's time to stop giving them the benefit of the doubt, and realize that for a lot of them, they're actually just this stupid, not evil. Well, still evil, but not for this reason.

These people will keep on voting, by the way, so we are in the position of being chained at the wrist with a crazy uncle, and we have to find a way to not let the crazy uncle make us both dead and to survive as best as possible.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2020, 08:16 AM   #146
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Trump Retweeted

John K Stahl
@JohnKStahlUSA
When I see 1 of those polls that has Malarkey the Racist up 6-8 points everywhere, I’m thinking they must have called the same 1,000 people from 2016 that said HRC the Skank was up 6-8 %. #maga #tcot #kag

I like the way Kayleigh sets the agenda. She doesn’t take any crap off these pathetic, worthless, clueless DNC Shills. I love how she finishes by posing the questions they should be asking and then walks off. #maga #tcot #kag

What a great idea. DJT wants to start the “Shills in Space” concept. Excellent. #maga #kag #tcot
The president of the United States just quoted someone who called the president’s last opponent a skank.

Yep. I’m sticking with my assessment. The Great Experiment is over.
Old 24th May 2020, 08:29 AM   #147
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
The president of the United States just quoted someone who called the president’s last opponent a skank.

Yep. I’m sticking with my assessment. The Great Experiment is over.
Between that, the re-tweeting of Stahl's fat-shaming of Abrams and "that's gold, Jerry! Gold, I tellya!"-level attempts at humor at Pelosi's expense, and the tweets accusing Joe Scarborough of murder, I'm inclined to agree- the lab has been well and truly blown up.

turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2020, 08:47 AM   #148
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

And it seems strange that Obama WASN'T in the While House during the 9/11 attacks.
He was piloting one of the planes, but being a demon was able to survive it.
Old 24th May 2020, 09:03 AM   #149
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder at what tipping point many (any?) Trump supporters are going to wake up and say "What was I thinking? How did I not see this before? This guy is absolutely ******* insane!"

It's like working on a jigsaw puzzle and finally finding the piece that's been sitting in front of you all the time.
Old 24th May 2020, 09:23 AM   #150
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder at what tipping point many (any?) Trump supporters are going to wake up and say "What was I thinking? How did I not see this before? This guy is absolutely ******* insane!"

It's like working on a jigsaw puzzle and finally finding the piece that's been sitting in front of you all the time.
I’ve wondered this myself so often. I’ve thought about other mindless followers of evil. Many of the German population who were Nazi supporters only began to become disillusioned when their world began collapsing on them, with the cities being bombed, intense food shortages, so many of their loved ones dead or wounded, widespread destruction, and the Allies advancing. Perhaps it will take personal suffering as a consequence of Trump’s actions for many of his fervent supporters to abandon him.

But some Nazi fanatics believed even after it all ended so horribly for them and their country, and even after the evils of the Nazi regime became evident. Trump’s supporters? Especially given their is an overlap between the two groups...
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2020, 09:30 AM   #151
Cain
Straussian

While Trump has an enthusiastic and ignorant following, I suspect most of his voters have reservations (as they did in 2016). They tell themselves Biden or Clinton would be even worse than Trump. Negative partisanship.

There's no abrupt revelation where everything falls into place. A change requires time and distance. Conservatives these days will concede Bill Clinton, a moderate Republican, "wasn't so bad." The pro-Bush fanaticism has completely evaporated.

In terms of policy, and not counting the Coronavirus response, I do not think Trump has been much different than other Republicans. The wealthy got their tax cut, and the deficit exploded. The trade war stuff is something Trump genuinely believed in, and nobody would have gone there, but almost everything else is the same ol' crap. Trump's different in that he's remarkably classless and narcissistic, more interested in attention than anything else (which includes grifting).
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2020, 09:36 AM   #152
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

I've been wondering how McConnell and the other Republican heavyweights feel every time Trump tweets (or re-tweets) some truly foul thing(s) like the above. Surely, any decent human being's reaction has got to be "oh, for chrissake! This is the President???!!?!?!?" And for those Republicans to realize that this guy is also the head of their party, the guy who represents them- that must, on some level, make them wonder just what the **** it is they're doing when they keep propping him up. Is it really too late for them to just cut their losses, admit out loud what a lot of them have to be thinking to themselves ("what a moron!"), and hope for a better figure-head the next time around? Surely just about any other Republican can get their policies passed, if the policies are that good? Or do they just shrug and say "well, it was a winning strategy before, so what the hell..."?

Well, those are mostly rhetorical questions, I guess, especially the last- they don't care about policy, they care about politics, and winning isn't everything, it's the only thing that counts in that.

Old 24th May 2020, 09:37 AM   #153
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I still get upset reading Trump’s tweets and I yell to myself, “But that isn’t true! It’s a vicious lie! It’s all made up!”

But that’s stupid of me. Of course they are lies! Of course they are vicious, amoral, lies made up of whole cloth and put forward expressly to smear innocent people! And focusing on them being lies is almost irrelevant. It is missing the point in that they are designed to feed his supporters, most of whom would believe white is black if Trump said it.

Sure, it is important to point out the truth to the people on the borderline of support and for whom the truth still has some relevance. But pointing out the truth to the more fervent Trump supporters has no purpose. Other events, perhaps personal damage from Trump’s policies, will be necessary to change their minds.

I do wonder if seeing Trump being the vicious evil petulant stupid deranged child he is on TV everyday might also help change so of his follower’s faith in him. His daily covid-19 show wasn’t helping him. But who knows?
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2020, 09:42 AM   #154
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
I've been wondering how McConnell and the other Republican heavyweights feel every time Trump tweets (or re-tweets) some truly foul thing(s) like the above. Surely, any decent human being's reaction has got to be "oh, for chrissake! This is the President???!!?!?!?" And for those Republicans to realize that this guy is also the head of their party, the guy who represents them- that must, on some level, make them wonder just what the **** it is they're doing when they keep propping him up. Is it really too late for them to just cut their losses, admit out loud what a lot of them have to be thinking to themselves ("what a moron!"), and hope for a better figure-head the next time around? Surely just about any other Republican can get their policies passed, if the policies are that good? Or do they just shrug and say "well, it was a winning strategy before, so what the hell..."?

Well, those are mostly rhetorical questions, I guess, especially the last- they don't care about policy, they care about politics, and winning isn't everything, it's the only thing that counts in that.
Yet so many of them claim to be religious too! Well, apparently they, like me, are really atheists because otherwise they would be afraid of being struck by lightening any time they walked outside. Who could imagine we had so many cowardly hypocrites at the highest levels of our government?
Old 24th May 2020, 09:46 AM   #155
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

“Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain...”
Old 24th May 2020, 09:53 AM   #156
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

I think, and it is probably wishful thinking, that a fair number of Republicans, perhaps even a lot, are people of intelligence and integrity. They jumped on the Trump bandwagon, because there was no alternative, and he seemed to be a useful idiot. However, he has become a loose cannon, and they would dearly want to get rid of him. But they can't, without giving the WH to the Dems. And they don't want to be smeared as dissidents. So they hope he will either burn out or loose the the election. THEN they can wash their hands and put all the blame on Trump.

This just might make a lot of GOP voters, not vote the other way, but stay home. In this context, Joe Biden, who honestly deserves Trumps nickname, Sleepy Joe, could be a good thing: He is acceptably harmless and probably won't last more than one term. So Republicans fed up with Trump can bear having him in the WH for a term.

Then, I hope, the Dems will use the time to find a serious candidate.

.. Whazzit?! Oh, just woke up. ... What DID I dream?

Hans
Old 24th May 2020, 10:00 AM   #157
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I’ve wondered this myself so often. I’ve thought about other mindless followers of evil. Many of the German population who were Nazi supporters only began to become disillusioned when their world began collapsing on them, with the cities being bombed, intense food shortages, so many of their loved ones dead or wounded, widespread destruction, and the Allies advancing. Perhaps it will take personal suffering as a consequence of Trump’s actions for many of his fervent supporters to abandon him.

But some Nazi fanatics believed even after it all ended so horribly for them and their country, and even after the evils of the Nazi regime became evident. Trump’s supporters? Especially given their is an overlap between the two groups...
But if one looks at Germany in 1945, would it be hard to image that 30-44% of them said, “the Jews were responsible for our loss in the Great War, maybe they are the ones responsible for our loss in this war. Therefore we weren’t wrong to support Hitler.”

well maybe 20-30%.

And as Some observers of the human condition say, “it’s hard to get people to admit that they are wrong, but it is even harder to get them to admit (to themselves and others) that they were conned.”

I think a lot of Trump supporters are going to go to their graves saying “Trump was right and any death, destruction, hardship, or misfortune is 100% the fault of the Nazi, fascists, America-destroying, baby-killing, flag-hating socialists! If only they had supported the president, then we wouldn’t be suffering as we are now.“

Last edited by Ladewig; 24th May 2020 at 10:23 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2020, 10:11 AM   #158
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

What is really going to piss me off, and I'm sure it's going to happen, is that sometime next year after Trump is out, some Republican is going to be interviewed and say "Oh, we knew he was an idiot all the time! We just went along because he was the leader of the Party." I know, it's actually been said by some of the people he fired.
Old 24th May 2020, 10:15 AM   #159
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder how much the sunk cost fallacy plays in, especially now that the country is as polarized as it is.
Old 24th May 2020, 10:21 AM   #160
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Off the record, there are hundreds of Republican Congress-critters who say, “sure, I could speak out against Trump’s actions, but even if I critize one tiny part of his behavior, he will attack me with a scorched-earth fervor. And that means a Trump-backed loon will challenge me in the primary and win. And then in the election, the Trump-backed loon will lose to the Democrat. I do not believe turning my seat over to a Democrat helps me, my constituents, or my country. Therefore I am not going to be the first one to stop clapping at a Saddam Hussein rally.”

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics