ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags jerry falwell jr , Liberty University

Old 9th September 2019, 11:02 PM   #1
Ranb
Philosopher

Interesting Article About Liberty University

Interesting article. I don't know if it is all true, but it does not seem that far fetched.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...y-loans-227914
Quote:
In interviews over the past eight months, they depicted how Falwell and his wife, Becki, consolidated power at Liberty University and how Falwell presides over a culture of self-dealing, directing university resources into projects and real estate deals in which his friends and family have stood to make personal financial gains. Among the previously unreported revelations are Falwell’s decision to hire his son Trey’s company to manage a shopping center owned by the university, Falwell’s advocacy for loans given by the university to his friends, and Falwell’s awarding university contracts to businesses owned by his friends.

“We’re not a school; we’re a real estate hedge fund,” said a senior university official with inside knowledge of Liberty’s finances. “We’re not educating; we’re buying real estate every year and taking students’ money to do it.”
Ranb
Ranb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 11:05 PM   #2
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I'm shocked, I tell you.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 11:28 PM   #3
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

All the big Universities are Investment Funds with a Campus attached.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 03:23 AM   #4
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
All the big Universities are Investment Funds with a Campus attached.
Liberty University is just more so. It is 100% investment fund with a single laser printer that spews out fee receipts and university degree certificates on demand.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 04:18 AM   #5
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Rich kids who inherited money and institutional power are bad enough. Jerry Falwell inherited money, institutional power, and status as a moral/religious authority.

Him turning out to be a corrupt scumbag is not surprising in the least.

Certain strains of evangelicalism have rejected the traditional Christian belief that money is corrupting and source of tremendous evil, despite repeated examples of why that is true within their own flocks.
Old 10th September 2019, 11:46 PM   #6
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

He's mad. And he's asking the FBI to investigate.

Liberty's Falwell says he's target of 'attempted coup'

Quote:
"I'm not going to dignify the lies that were reported yesterday with a response, but I am going to the authorities and I am going to civil court," Falwell said, referring to the reporter as a "little boy."

He added that Liberty has hired "the meanest lawyer in New York," whom he declined to identify, to pursue civil cases. Falwell also declined to identify the people he said were spreading the emails.
"The Meanest Lawyer in New York"!!!
How Christian!

He has some interesting legal ideas:
Quote:
Falwell said he contacted the FBI last week after he learned that reporters were reaching out to Liberty employees about the emails he insists were stolen.

"Liberty owns every single one of those emails. It's our property. They were working for us when they used our server. And our policies make it clear every email sent on our server is owned by Liberty and if anybody shares it with anybody outside Liberty, it is theft. And so that's the underlying crime," Falwell told AP in a phone interview.
I'm no lawyer, but I don't think that's how it works.
Old 11th September 2019, 01:13 AM   #7
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
He's mad. And he's asking the FBI to investigate.

Liberty's Falwell says he's target of 'attempted coup'

"The Meanest Lawyer in New York"!!!
How Christian!

He has some interesting legal ideas:

I'm no lawyer, but I don't think that's how it works.
Regarding emails, if they are company emails it is the norm that they are the property of the company and you as a private individual have no right to copy, use them for anything outside your immediate business needs and so on.
Old 11th September 2019, 03:34 AM   #8
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I've encountered a few of their graduates. I wasn't certain what they did at Liberty University but I did not get the feeling it was educating anyone.
Old 11th September 2019, 06:13 AM   #9
rockysmith76
Scholar

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Rich kids who inherited money and institutional power are bad enough. Jerry Falwell inherited money, institutional power, and status as a moral/religious authority.

Him turning out to be a corrupt scumbag is not surprising in the least.

Certain strains of evangelicalism have rejected the traditional Christian belief that money is corrupting and source of tremendous evil, despite repeated examples of why that is true within their own flocks.
The Mega-Church varieties have certainly done so, abandoned money as the root of all evil, that s
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 08:13 AM   #10
Elvis666
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
The Mega-Church varieties have certainly done so, abandoned money as the root of all evil, that s
It's actually love of money that is the root of all evil, but that change makes no difference in this context.
Old 11th September 2019, 01:19 PM   #11
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

As I read the sentiment that he isn't a good representative of Liberty University, I couldn't help but think maybe he is.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy