ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th June 2019, 06:56 AM   #41
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Mrs Don and I bought a new "Smart" TV which unfortunately cannot connect to our old Humax PVR (the issue appears to be with the Humax box which does not want to connect via HDMI to any display we own - just our old TV ) which means that we now watch "on demand" instead of recording on the PVR.

This means that we cannot fast forward though the recorded adverts on the few Channel 4 or ITV shows we have watched. What makes it even worse is that the number of advertisers is very restricted so we end up watching the same adverts several times in a single one hour show .
Don't know if it would work, but if enough people complained to the sponsors, noting specifically that due to such commercials they will not buy the sponsor's
product or service.
fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 07:05 AM   #42
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
I would have thought a factory reset and then a new setup would cure that.

We try to let the Tivo handle everything we want to watch, because I dislike on-demand generally due its temperamental nature. Channel 4's is particularly annoying if I want to record something to keep, as they invariably insist on enabling the copy-protection signal, which means I have to dig out and connect up the kit that strips it out.
If you have a recording camera, you can shoot right off a digital screen (you need to be very quiet re: the sound). I have a long career of capturing good video and audio from screens/speakers. Copy protection can eat me!!!!!

Oh, if you do it in theaters, it takes some finesse as some have IR detectors (focusing system is IR) -especially for very new and desired films.
fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 07:05 AM   #43
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Don't know if it would work, but if enough people complained to the sponsors, noting specifically that due to such commercials they will not buy the sponsor's
product or service.
It wouldn't work. If it worked and sponsors stopped advertising the demand would go down as would the advertisement fee. The channel's income as would their ability to buy programs. Fewer adverts would lead to worse programs.
Best thing is to use the break to do something useful. There is quite a lot you can do in the adverts if you are quick......
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 07:07 AM   #44
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

product or service.
Getting enough people to actively complain rather than just quietly grumble is the hard part, though these days it's easier.

It does remind me of when ITV got UK rights to Formula 1 from the BBC in the '90s and they decided they could slip in a couple of commercial breaks, much like a team slipping in a couple of pit stops. What could go wrong?

Inevitably they managed to miss critical overtakes, more than once. The furious backlash included much blaming of the advertised product and promises never to buy the stuff again. Can't even remember what it was now - maybe Budweiser?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 07:11 AM   #45
Information Analyst
Philosopher

If you have a recording camera, you can shoot right off a digital screen (you need to be very quiet re: the sound). I have a long career of capturing good video and audio from screens/speakers. Copy protection can eat me!!!!!

Oh, if you do it in theaters, it takes some finesse as some have IR detectors (focusing system is IR) -especially for very new and desired films.
Retro.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 07:12 AM   #46
fuelair
Banned

I suspect it's what most people are still doing. It's like people on media forums who say stuff like, "who buys DVDs these days?" when the fact that supermarkets are still selling them suggest lots are.
As long as there are working DVD players (and better: All region all system DVD/Blu-ray players) the DVDs/Blu Rays can be played as much as you wish!
If you own the discs and the players the pay up everytime slimes can eat weasel leavings and choke!!!
Old 12th June 2019, 07:34 AM   #47
Tolls
Illuminator

Can I just point out that Andrew bloody Neil is a BBC political pundit and presenter?
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 08:00 AM   #48
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Can I just point out that Andrew bloody Neil is a BBC political pundit and presenter?
Yes, yes you can!!!!!!
Old 12th June 2019, 08:31 AM   #49
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
What? Seriously, you still have television licences in the UK?
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
My thought as well.

To the OP, I have absolutely no problem with government support (like free licences) being means tested. We are used to this in Australia - people on government pensions get a lot of concessions, those who are well off, very little.
Yes, but in foreign countries they have way too many adverts and don’t have quality broadcasting such as Last of the Summer Wine and Countryfile.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 08:37 AM   #50
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

How about a compromise? Free TV for the elderly, but it only shows old programs.
Old 12th June 2019, 08:41 AM   #51
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
How about a compromise? Free TV for the elderly, but it only shows old programs.
"There is another theory which states that this has already happened."
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 11:25 AM   #52
Bob001
Philosopher

Compared to what?
Compared to free, as broadcast television is in most countries.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 01:16 PM   #53
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
Where an oldster or a relative has the wherewithall, they should cease using terrestrial broadcasts and use smart TV streaming services. Yes, I know this would be a tall order for many, but a surprising number are IT literate and already have an internet connection.
Not sure how that helps, since you still need a TV license for watching the BBC via the internet.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 01:16 PM   #54
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Only 'free' as in 'free lunch'.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 01:43 PM   #55
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Actually, you can have 60+ Oyster card - which has the functionality of a Freedom pass - from 60, subject to a small (£20) admin fee.

Yes, it can, "be worth a few thousand," the majority of users probably don't come anywhere close.
Indeed; there are limitations, you can only travel after 9:30 during the week. And I am rather annoyed because in England, outside London, you don't get free travel at 60, but actual pension age, which is another 7 years for me.

As for the free TV licence for over 75; I was a bit surprised by how much the total cost is, £750million, compared to the full amount. Saying the BBC will pay for the licenses is just another way of cutting its funding.

If I understand it correctly, if a household has one 75-year-old, then the license is free, regardless of combined income. Perhaps a change would be to only grant the free licence if everyone in the household were over 75. On the other hand, as already suggested, the admin costs of checking eligibility could outweigh the savings.
Old 12th June 2019, 01:59 PM   #56
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

They do that already. All the daytime tv shows (Homes under the Hammer, Bargain Hunt, Four in a Bed, Escape to the Country, Place in the Sun, Pointless, Undercover Boss, Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares, The Simpsons, Big Bang Theory) are all endless repeat loops going back as far as 2014.

I guess the early-Alzheimers will have forgotten they already saw it.
Old 12th June 2019, 02:04 PM   #57
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
They do that already. All the daytime tv shows (Homes under the Hammer, Bargain Hunt, Four in a Bed, Escape to the Country, Place in the Sun, Pointless, Undercover Boss, Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares, The Simpsons, Big Bang Theory) are all endless repeat loops going back as far as 2014.

I guess the early-Alzheimers will have forgotten they already saw it.
I mean old programs. Dad's Army. Are You Being Served. Original run Doctor Who only through the Third Doctor.
Old 12th June 2019, 02:42 PM   #58
Elagabalus
Illuminator

I mean old programs. Dad's Army. Are You Being Served. Original run Doctor Who only through the Third Doctor.
Never seen Dad's Army but those other two? God,no! Just make it stop!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 02:59 PM   #59
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Never seen Dad's Army but those other two? God,no! Just make it stop!
Some of us happen to like Are You Being Served. And I am unanimous in that!
Old 12th June 2019, 03:06 PM   #60
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Some of them are really going to want to be reliving their childhood, so it needs to be things like 'Bill and Ben, Flowerpot Men' or 'Z Cars', ;'Crackerjack!' or even 'The Lone Ranger', 'Bonanza' or 'Crossroads'.

Doctor Who will be too frightening. The poor dears will be crouching behind their sofas in terror as the Daleks descend. They might end up having a series of strokes.

The BBC won't want to be held responsible for that. Thousands would be complaining to Ofcom they found granny lying on the floor in state of rigor mortis after a cyberman attack.

No, 'twould be wise to stick to Blue Peter and Magic Roundabout. Hughie Green and Val Doonican might be a tad too much for the old ticker.
Old 12th June 2019, 03:08 PM   #61
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

I'm free!
Old 12th June 2019, 03:15 PM   #62
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
...Doctor Who will be too frightening. The poor dears will be crouching behind their sofas in terror as the Daleks descend. They might end up having a series of strokes...

Don't kid yourself. The craptastic Special Effects would speak for themselves. Filmed in beautiful Sepia-toned 2D. On video!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 03:31 PM   #63
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

If the Beeb is such a wonderful social good, why have a separate TV license at all? Why not just pay for it out of the general revenues?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 03:48 PM   #64
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
If the Beeb is such a wonderful social good, why have a separate TV license at all? Why not just pay for it out of the general revenues?
Like I said above, partly for legacy reasons which go right back to a time when it seemed reasonable that public service radio was a good thing which should be paid for, but only by the people who actually had a radio, and partly because it slightly insulates the BBC from political arm-twisting. The government gets to decide what the licence fee is going to be (assuming it grants the BBC a renewed charter at all) once per decade.
Old 12th June 2019, 04:02 PM   #65
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Are you wondering why the British keep an institution as it has traditionally been?
Old 13th June 2019, 12:27 AM   #66
Tolls
Illuminator

You only watch it for Mrs Slocum's pussy.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 01:24 AM   #67
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

You only watch it for Mrs Slocum's pussy.
Which IIRC, for matters of decorum, was oft talked about but never shown on screen
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 02:58 AM   #68
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Slocombe.
Old 13th June 2019, 03:06 AM   #69
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

It's paid for by adverts which are paid for by the people that buy the things being advertised.
It also means the advertisers get to decide what programs you see.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 03:08 AM   #70
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

You've all done very well.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 03:16 AM   #71
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Nothing is free. Viewers still pay for commercial TV, just indirectly.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 03:19 AM   #72
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Indeed; there are limitations, you can only travel after 9:30 during the week. And I am rather annoyed because in England, outside London, you don't get free travel at 60, but actual pension age, which is another 7 years for me.
Actually it's now free any time on all TfL services - the weekday/9:30 limit only applies to National Rail services in London.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 13th June 2019 at 03:23 AM.
Old 13th June 2019, 03:26 AM   #73
Information Analyst
Philosopher

If the Beeb is such a wonderful social good, why have a separate TV license at all?
You know literally no ordinary person says that in the UK?

Quote:
Why not just pay for it out of the general revenues?
Because then the government could exert pressure by threatening to cut funding more easily.
Old 13th June 2019, 04:26 AM   #74
3point14
Pi

You know literally no ordinary person says that in the UK?
Gotta tell you, that that's not entirely accurate. Sorry.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 04:47 AM   #75
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Gotta tell you, that that's not entirely accurate. Sorry.
OK, no normal person outside the media. In newspapers and on TV, sure, but in real life? Nah.
Old 13th June 2019, 08:22 AM   #76
Tolls
Illuminator

I use it all the time.

Not sure exactly what that tells us though...
Old 13th June 2019, 08:24 AM   #77
3point14
Pi

OK, no normal person outside the media. In newspapers and on TV, sure, but in real life? Nah.

I think you have to narrow that down to people you interact with.

Someone will use it within earshot of me within the next few days, I would guess.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 09:05 AM   #78
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Considering that a large part of the humour in that show revolved around the fact that one of the characters was gay, I would be surprised if that show was legal anymore.
Old 13th June 2019, 09:08 AM   #79
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I think you have to narrow that down to people you interact with.

Someone will use it within earshot of me within the next few days, I would guess.
Really? I can't even remember the last time I heard anyone say it in real life.
Old 13th June 2019, 09:10 AM   #80
3point14
Pi

Really? I can't even remember the last time I heard anyone say it in real life.
That's sort of my point.

I don't don't ever hear people calling total strangers "Luv", cos I live in Sussex.

If I lived in Northampton, I suspect I'd hear it all the time.

c.f. 'while' to mean 'until'

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events