ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Minneapolis incidents , police incidents , police misconduct charges , shooting incidents

Old 18th July 2017, 07:23 PM   #201
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Yeggster View Post
Just for clarity ... by "through the door" the report meant "Through the car doors open WINDOW" ... according to the most recent reports
Aw, why spoil the fun? I was enjoying all the ignorant speculation being posted in this thread as confident knowledge.

This signature is intended to irradiate people.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 07:26 PM   #202
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Not much to work with.
I guess a loud sound from somewhere "near" is going to become sufficient cause for a reasonable person to feel threatened and start shooting anyone in the vicinity. As long as they're a cop, of course.

I'm a little bit puzzled by this "declined to be interviewed", though.

At the end of the article there was a FAQ of sorts. It included this;

I can understand why their testimony cannot be compelled, but not why they can just decline to be interviewed,

I don't think a regular person gets that privilege. They might not have to actually answer any questions they are asked. They might have the right to bring their lawyer with them when they are interviewed, but I don't think the average guy on the street can just say "Nah. I'm not interested in talking to you.", and blow it all off.

They're still going to get to visit the station house and listen to the questions, whether they choose to answer them or not.
No, they're not. Not unless the investigating officers arrest them and drag them by force or threat of force.

Which they may yet do.

theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 07:26 PM   #203
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Yeggster View Post
If being "passionate" is a clue meaning she yells and panics a lot (someone mentioned that, I think seriously) , she may have ran up to the cruisers window pointing and yelling? just as a firework went off?

....l.
That was me, and yes to the seriously part.

Cripes, haven't you guys ever dealt with the insane? at all? Not even an insane pan handler? They do insane stuff, like commit suicide. They get shot, justifiably, quite regularly for doing insane stuff around cops.

I would have thunk an unbiased newsman would have interviewed the boyfriend to see what he meant by "passionate". But that would be "blaming the victim" if she was crazy, so not done in mainstream media.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 07:48 PM   #204
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

My guess -- they are going to find some terrifically remorseful 13-year-old kid who tossed a firecracker at the squad car.
Old 18th July 2017, 07:50 PM   #205
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
My guess -- they are going to find some terrifically remorseful 13-year-old kid who tossed a firecracker at the squad car.
My guess -- no they're not.

Old 18th July 2017, 08:09 PM   #206
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
I was waiting for something that stupid to be posted. I didn't think it would take that long.
The media isn't advertising the fact that the officer in question is an Islamic monkey who had no right to be in our country. That might cause racism or prejudice or inappropriate hate thoughts.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 08:29 PM   #207
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
The media isn't advertising the fact that the officer in question is an Islamic monkey who had no right to be in our country...
Because none of those things are true.
Old 18th July 2017, 09:36 PM   #208
Elagabalus
Illuminator

The media isn't advertising the fact that the officer in question is an Islamic monkey who had no right to be in our country. That might cause racism or prejudice or inappropriate hate thoughts.
He's from Canada?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 10:01 PM   #209
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
No, they're not. Not unless the investigating officers arrest them and drag them by force or threat of force.

Which they may yet do.

Which is what would happen if they were ordinary citizens.

That is the point I was making.

Why do they get to "decline" to be interviewed just because they are cops?

I would think that should make it even more of a responsibility for them.
Old 18th July 2017, 10:04 PM   #210
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post

I hope not. He'd be liable to get shot "evading arrest" or something.
Old 18th July 2017, 10:19 PM   #211
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by casebro View Post

Cripes, haven't you guys ever dealt with the insane? at all? Not even an insane pan handler? They do insane stuff, like commit suicide. They get shot, justifiably, quite regularly for doing insane stuff around cops.

I would have thunk an unbiased newsman would have interviewed the boyfriend to see what he meant by "passionate". But that would be "blaming the victim" if she was crazy, so not done in mainstream media.
You're pretty desperate to imagine that this woman could possibly have done anything to justify being killed. The TV reports are full of video of her friends talking about how wonderful she was and what a helpful "life coach" she had been. There is video of her speaking for herself about her work. And what do you think "passionate" might mean to the man who was going to marry her in three weeks?

And if she had displayed any weird behavior, the cops would have been responsible for getting out of their car and trying to do anything and everything else before they killed her.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 10:34 PM   #212
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
<snip>

And if she had displayed any weird behavior, the cops would have been responsible for getting out of their car and trying to do anything and everything else before they killed her.

But ... but ...

... she was making loud noises in the distance in a threatening manner while she was approaching them.

Armed with pajamas.
Old 18th July 2017, 11:27 PM   #213
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
I'm not certain that an officer responding to a complaint and subsequent interaction with the general public requires activation of the cameras.
Then literally what on earth does?
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 11:30 PM   #214
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

The police must shoot a lot of people around the 4th of July, what with all the fireworks going off as they meet complainants.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 11:45 PM   #215
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Maybe here pajamas were not buttoned up properly ?
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 12:40 AM   #216
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Body cams in long after I retired, but our agency was a early adopter of dash cams.

The cams activated any time the officer hit the emergency lights.

As far as body cams, every agency has their own sop.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 12:51 AM   #217
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

......... They get shot, justifiably, quite regularly for doing insane stuff around cops.........
After all these years on this forum, it's the sheer matter-of-factness of statements like this that still gets me. Only Americans could ever say stuff like this and think it normal. No other western culture that I am aware of has police shooting (unarmed) citizens in this ad hoc and gung-ho way, and I still find it astonishing that people here can think it defensible.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 01:16 AM   #218
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
I was waiting for something that stupid to be posted. I didn't think it would take that long.
You must have missed this previous one.

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
This cop treated this aussie woman marginally worse than most aussie men treat their women.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 01:24 AM   #219
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
After all these years on this forum, it's the sheer matter-of-factness of statements like this that still gets me. Only Americans could ever say stuff like this and think it normal. No other western culture that I am aware of has police shooting (unarmed) citizens in this ad hoc and gung-ho way, and I still find it astonishing that people here can think it defensible.
If the numbers are correct at the below link, more than 250 LEO's have been fatally shot since 1945 in the U.K.:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...d-line-of-duty

In the U.S., 579 officers have been murdered in the line of duty by various methods from 2007 - 2016.:

http://www.nleomf.org/facts/officer-...ta/causes.html

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 02:39 AM   #220
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I have seen that sort of statemnet on forums and public comment sections, but the mainstream madia have standards that preclude moronic hate speech.
Old 19th July 2017, 02:49 AM   #221
fagin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
If the numbers are correct at the below link, more than 250 LEO's have been fatally shot since 1945 in the U.K.:

In the U.S., 579 officers have been murdered in the line of duty by various methods from 2007 - 2016.:

http://www.nleomf.org/facts/officer-...ta/causes.html
Your point being?
Old 19th July 2017, 02:49 AM   #222
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post

More than 200 of which were in Northern Ireland, the vast majority shot by terrorists between 1969 and the late-1990s. NI comprises only 3% of the UK population.

England, Wales, and Scotland - the other 97% of the population - account for less than 50 fatal shootings of police officers since 1945, and some of those were terrorist-related, as well. At least two were shot by "visiting" Americans, and there is an over-lap between those two sub-sets.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 19th July 2017 at 03:28 AM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 03:01 AM   #223
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Death to all EDP's!
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 03:05 AM   #224
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I do wonder if they might have erased the footage, police seem to be not uncommonly recorded talking about destroying evidence. Nothing that would ever hurt their careers though.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 03:07 AM   #225
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
And remember you see someone acting strange and you don't want them to die, don't call the cops. They are totally incapable of dealing with emotionally disturbed people without shooting them.
Old 19th July 2017, 03:13 AM   #226
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Your point being?
I suppose the point is that it's futile to blame the cops. This is just the kind of policing you end up with in a heavily armed Western society.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 03:16 AM   #227
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
I suppose the point is that it's futile to blame the cops. This is just the kind of policing you end up with in a heavily armed Western society.
You have to understand that most cops are republican and as such like the president are totally incapable of accepting any personal responsibility for anything. You can't fire the clearly violent and sadistic ones, the police would never stand for it.
Old 19th July 2017, 03:29 AM   #228
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
You have to understand that most cops are republican and as such like the president are totally incapable of accepting any personal responsibility for anything. You can't fire the clearly violent and sadistic ones, the police would never stand for it.
I have cousins in the police, and they're distinctly not the lefty-liberal side of the family. The types of people who choose to become police officers are probably much the same all over the world. The consequences may be more severe in a society which to other countries looks a bit like a video game.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 03:36 AM   #229
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Which is what would happen if they were ordinary citizens.

That is the point I was making.

Why do they get to "decline" to be interviewed just because they are cops?

I would think that should make it even more of a responsibility for them.
What are you talking about? People decline to talk about to the police all the time.

Old 19th July 2017, 03:37 AM   #230
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I hope not. He'd be liable to get shot "evading arrest" or something.
Nice fantasy you guys have there.

Old 19th July 2017, 03:46 AM   #231
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Your point being?
First Point:
That so many police officers are killed that it's the most dangerous job in the world* and so police officers are in constant and permanent fear of their lives every moment of their professional lives. As a consequence, any action taken by any police officer at any time is entirely justified

Second Point:
The United States is unique in this regard - and cannot in any circumstances change - so anything that applies in other countries cannot apply in the United States which is absolutely perfect in any case

* - yes, I know it's not even in the top 10 in the U.S.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 03:51 AM   #232
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
What are you talking about? People decline to talk about to the police all the time.

Quite.

In England & Wales at least, unless the person in question is arrested, (s)he does not have to even listen to any police questioning, let alone answer it (unless, that is, the person in question has some pre-existing compulsion to listen to and answer police questions - e.g. the person is on licence or some other form of ongoing authorised police monitoring).

And on the OP issue itself, I would add my voice to the (relatively few, regrettably....) calls to wait for more - and more accurate/reliable if possible - information (possibly up to and including a criminal trial) before coming to any form of conclusion about what happened. As far as I can tell, based on the current information, one could postulate a hugely variable number of feasible/reasonable scenarios, all the way from:

1) Woman approaches police car screaming and shouting (e.g. "Why did it take so long for you to get here?! Oh my God!!" etc); police driver rolls down window, asks woman for her identity, and asks woman to calm down; woman screams louder and becomes near-hysterical; police driver draws weapon and orders woman to calm down; woman reaches in to grab police driver's weapon; police passenger immediately draws his own weapon and aims to the (limited) part of the woman that is in his sight line and firing line - her abdomen; woman drops immediately on first shot, making a second shot from the police passenger near-impossible even if he'd wanted to; both police officers exit vehicle and begin CPR.

......all the way up to......

2) Woman approaches police car calmly; police driver rolls down window and asks her to identify herself, which again she does calmly; police passenger - for reasons as yet unidentified - unilaterally draws his weapon without proper cause, and shoots woman once in abdomen.

.....and a whole host of other possible, feasible scenarios in between.

More facts please.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 04:39 AM   #233
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
1) Woman approaches police car screaming and shouting (e.g. "Why did it take so long for you to get here?! Oh my God!!" etc); police driver rolls down window, asks woman for her identity, and asks woman to calm down; woman screams louder and becomes near-hysterical; police driver draws weapon and orders woman to calm down; woman reaches in to grab police driver's weapon; police passenger immediately draws his own weapon and aims to the (limited) part of the woman that is in his sight line and firing line - her abdomen; woman drops immediately on first shot, making a second shot from the police passenger near-impossible even if he'd wanted to; both police officers exit vehicle and begin CPR.
You see, that's the point where I would go "eh?".
Because surely drawing a weapon is not really a good way to calm someone down.

So if that's the start point, ie your best case scenario, it's still pretty crap.

But yes, we're still short on information.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 04:50 AM   #234
Mark F
Graduate Poster

Anyone who acts distraught or upset after calling the cops to report a prowler in the middle of the night can be considered a credible threat and deserves to be gunned down on the spot?

Because there was a loud noise somewhere?
That seems to be the takeaway given what we know so far.
Old 19th July 2017, 04:55 AM   #235
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
You see, that's the point where I would go "eh?".
Because surely drawing a weapon is not really a good way to calm someone down.
Drawing weapon alone is useless .. shooting the disturbed person is quite effective in calming them down. Order restored. Nothing to see here.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 04:56 AM   #236
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
Is that near the police car as "in the same city"

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austra...YrC&ocid=wispr

The cops were told the sounds were probably fireworks
In the audio of the dispatch, I believe the fireworks were referenced AFTER the woman had been shot.

They are asking for EMS, other officers are arriving on the scene, the cops involved had referenced gunshots to the east, the dispatcher is clarifying with the secondary responding officers about gunshots, and they tell her it was aerial fireworks.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ea9_1500323077
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 04:58 AM   #237
Drewbot
Philosopher

If she reported , in her 911 call, "GUNSHOTS in the alley", and they rolled up with that in their head, and she runs up to the window, and a firework goes off in close proximity, his defense will be that he thought he or his partner were in danger.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 05:02 AM   #238
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
If she reported , in her 911 call, "GUNSHOTS in the alley", and they rolled up with that in their head, and she runs up to the window, and a firework goes off in close proximity, his defense will be that he thought he or his partner were in danger.
IIRC, she reported a possible sexual assault in the alley?

I believe she was shot immediately and never interacted with the officers.

I don't even think she got up to the car window.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 05:13 AM   #239
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

LAPD once fired over 100 rounds at some ladies delivering newspapers in a pickup truck because a newspaper hitting the ground made a loud noise...

One lady was shot and one was wounded by flying debris.

They didn't even manage to kill them with over 100 rounds fired from close range...

All of the officers kept their jobs.

There were bullet holes all over the truck and all over the neighborhood houses.

They were on a "manhunt" at the time, but neither the truck, nor the ladies bore any resemblance to the vehicle or person they were looking for.

They later proceeded to ram and shoot up another person/truck that also didn't resemble their quarry.

https://www.theatlantic.com/national...-fired/357771/

Old 19th July 2017, 05:16 AM   #240
Drewbot
Philosopher

With the more relaxed Fireworks regulations, it has become a two week Siege at Khe Sanh. I specifically counted 3 firework reports at my lake in the last 3 weeks that I thought were gunshots.

They were close, and startling. Sounded like 30-06 rifle fire.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events