ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Kentucky incidents , school shootings , shooting incidents

Old 4th June 2019, 12:59 AM   #961
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
That means there are 700 times the acid attacks in the UK. With less than 1/5 the population. The UK acid attack rate is more than 3,500 times that of the US. It's because UKians love acid more than their own citizens!
We UKians don't love acid more than our own citizens because we willingly accept severe constraints on our ability to acquire acid to protect our fellow citizens.

Yes, acid attacks are a problem in the UK but to put this into some kind of context, there were 700 acid attacks in the UK, the number of fatalities is small and around 20% have required some kind of hospital attention. By comparison, there were over 10,000 homicides by gun in the US.

The UK government recognises that acid attacks are an issue and in response announced that acid sales would be significantly restricted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41484909

Imagine if politicians in the US were to try to do something similar to address a problem which is several orders of magnitude worse.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 01:05 AM   #962
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

The rate of murders is not the same as the incidences of mass shootings.

Even if mass shootings decline one year compared to the next, that does not mean the US has done anything particular to tackle the problem.

If mass shootings decline year on year and that can be causally linked to a law or policy or social change, then you have shown the US can and has been able to tackle mass shootings.
Old 4th June 2019, 01:16 AM   #963
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

In 2017, UK had over 700 acid attacks. US had zero. And the US has 6 times the population as UK

It's because UKians love acid more than their fellow citizens!
There was a sudden rise in acid attacks, which was linked to scooter crime gangs in London who used it as their MO during robberies.

There were 228 acid attacks in 2012 and 601 in 2016.

Of the 2006 acid attacks in the UK between 2016 and 2018, 273 were in one London borough. 63% of attacks are accompanied by another crime such as robbery.

The speculation is that gangs have turned to acid because they cannot get guns and knife carrying is too risky.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/10...-police-London

No one in the UK defends acid attacks or claims we should all be armed with acid, because a good guy with acid can stop a bad guy with acid. There is no right to bear acid. There is no National Acid Association defending the rights of those who want to carry acid.

The UK does not love acid like the USA loves guns.
Old 4th June 2019, 03:07 AM   #964
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
The rate of murders is not the same as the incidences of mass shootings.

Even if mass shootings decline one year compared to the next, that does not mean the US has done anything particular to tackle the problem.

If mass shootings decline year on year and that can be causally linked to a law or policy or social change, then you have shown the US can and has been able to tackle mass shootings.
Reification fallacy
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 03:09 AM   #965
Baylor
Philosopher

There was a sudden rise in acid attacks, which was linked to scooter crime gangs in London who used it as their MO during robberies.

There were 228 acid attacks in 2012 and 601 in 2016.

Of the 2006 acid attacks in the UK between 2016 and 2018, 273 were in one London borough. 63% of attacks are accompanied by another crime such as robbery.

The speculation is that gangs have turned to acid because they cannot get guns and knife carrying is too risky.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/10...-police-London

No one in the UK defends acid attacks or claims we should all be armed with acid, because a good guy with acid can stop a bad guy with acid. There is no right to bear acid. There is no National Acid Association defending the rights of those who want to carry acid.

The UK does not love acid like the USA loves guns.
I disagree. UK is the acid attack capital of the world. In the UK, acid is held in high esteem. In the UK, the love of acid outweighs the love of citizens.

Last edited by Baylor; 4th June 2019 at 04:08 AM.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 03:12 AM   #966
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
We UKians don't love acid more than our own citizens because we willingly accept severe constraints on our ability to acquire acid to protect our fellow citizens.

Yes, acid attacks are a problem in the UK but to put this into some kind of context, there were 700 acid attacks in the UK, the number of fatalities is small and around 20% have required some kind of hospital attention. By comparison, there were over 10,000 homicides by gun in the US.

The UK government recognises that acid attacks are an issue and in response announced that acid sales would be significantly restricted:

Imagine if politicians in the US were to try to do something similar to address a problem which is several orders of magnitude worse.
There are many restrictions of guns. Just because you didn't read about in the Huffington Post doesn't mean the restrictions don't exist. I'm sick of telling you people this.
Old 4th June 2019, 03:49 AM   #967
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I disagree. UK is the acid attack capital of the world. In the UK, acid is held in high esteem. In the UK, the love of acid outweighs the love of citizens.
Simply untrue. We don't have groups of people dedicated to ensuring access for people to acid, there are no constitutional protections for people's access to acid and the government has been able to introduce stringent restrictions on access to acid with absolutely no complaints from the public at large.

OTOH any attempt to restrict access to guns in the US is met with howls of protest from the NRA and other pressure groups.

There are many restrictions of guns. Just because you didn't read about in the Huffington Post doesn't mean the restrictions don't exist. I'm sick of telling you people this.
There may be some restrictions but they're pretty minor compared to those in most developed countries and have been fought tooth and nail by the NRA. There has been no similar complaints for the introduction of far stricter restrictions on public access to acids in the UK.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 04:03 AM   #968
Baylor
Philosopher

Simply untrue. We don't have groups of people dedicated to ensuring access for people to acid, there are no constitutional protections for people's access to acid and the government has been able to introduce stringent restrictions on access to acid with absolutely no complaints from the public at large.

OTOH any attempt to restrict access to guns in the US is met with howls of protest from the NRA and other pressure groups.
Those "restrictions" have done no good because UK is the acid attack capital of the world and it's only getting worse.

There may be some restrictions but they're pretty minor compared to those in most developed countries and have been fought tooth and nail by the NRA. There has been no similar complaints for the introduction of far stricter restrictions on public access to acids in the UK.
So what? There doesn't need to be any "pressure groups" because UKians love acid and it's still legal and can easily be acquired despite UK being the acid attack capital of the world.

Last edited by Baylor; 4th June 2019 at 04:09 AM.
Old 4th June 2019, 06:02 AM   #969
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Those "restrictions" have done no good because UK is the acid attack capital of the world and it's only getting worse.
Your argument is that people in the UK are putting their love of acid ahead of the wellbeing of their fellow citizens. The adoption of restrictions on the acquisition of acid, the public outcry over the acid attacks and the lack of opposition to the restrictions shows that argument to be nonsense.

As regards the effectiveness or otherwise of the restrictions, they have only been recently introduced and we don't have a "control" to see what would have happened in the event that they hadn't been introduced.

So what? There doesn't need to be any "pressure groups" because UKians love acid and it's still legal and can easily be acquired despite UK being the acid attack capital of the world.
I think you need to show that people in the UK love acid, so far you have not. You have demonstrated that a handful of people have used acid as a weapon and that as a result nearly 150 people have required some kind of medical attention over the course of the year.

OTOH those in the US appear to love guns. A significant minority of people own one or more, restrictions on use and ownership are comparatively benign and 10,000 people a year are killed using them and yet any restrictions on the use and ownership of guns is fought tooth and nail.
Old 4th June 2019, 06:49 AM   #970
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

As a UKian, I'll tell you this. The gubmin is NEVER gonna get my acid. If they want my acid, they'll have to take it from my cold, dead (and probably melting) hand.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 08:12 AM   #971
eeyore1954
Philosopher

It seems to me this latest shooting went out of the headlines pretty fast.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 09:41 AM   #972
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
You are making a functional distinction, the issue being cited was legal not functional. Kind of like how the receiver is legally the gun in the US and many components are not regulated like barrels while in other countries like the UK it is pressure containing components that are legally regulated

What this means is that one must be able to legally make and sell NFA regulated firearms to make one and they must all be serialized. Unlike say a simple AR-15 that anyone can buy a 80% lower and finish it all nice and legal with out the need for serial numbers.

You may be overthinking my comments.

I was unfamiliar with the usage ranb applied. Now I'm not.

It's really that simple.
Old 4th June 2019, 09:51 AM   #973
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
It is, but it's like how ecigarette parts in Canada have a " contains nicotine " warning on them.

Must be a Canada thing. I have a couple of shelves full of boxes for coils, tanks, pen batteries and mod boxes, from an assortment of manufacturers and suppliers, and none of them have any warnings about containing nicotine.

This kind of goes to what I was trying to understand, why a local jurisdiction couldn't ban firearms, but could ban silencers.

Quote:
They obviously contain no nicotine but so people don't skirt rules they are considered a product containing nicotine. (To be clear, as an example. When I buy a coil,which is cotton and steel. It contains said warning, as 1 example)

Yeah, and I've gotten them without such a warning. Although I've been making my own coils for a while now (I mostly use RTA tanks), even for things like Kanger/Evod coils, but I don't think it's changed here in the U.S.
Old 4th June 2019, 11:02 AM   #974
Steve
Philosopher

In 2017, UK had over 700 acid attacks. US had zero. And the US has 6 times the population as UK

It's because UKians love acid more than their fellow citizens!
That means there are 700 times the acid attacks in the UK. With less than 1/5 the population. The UK acid attack rate is more than 3,500 times that of the US. It's because UKians love acid more than their own citizens!

Why are you so anxious to divert the discussion away from the thread topic? It couldn't be shame that so many Americans are shot to death, could it?
Old 4th June 2019, 11:07 AM   #975
Mojo
Mostly harmless

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 12:22 PM   #976
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The resignation letter gives no clues on motive. It doesn't indicate any anger or disappointment, so it might not have been accurate to say that he was disgruntled. Here is what it says...

Originally Posted by Daily Mail
"I want to officially put in my (2) weeks' notice to vacant my position of Engineer III with the City of Virginia Beach. It has been a pleasure to serve the City, but due to personal reasons I must relieve my position."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ng-attack.html
Old 4th June 2019, 12:55 PM   #977
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Must be a Canada thing. I have a couple of shelves full of boxes for coils, tanks, pen batteries and mod boxes, from an assortment of manufacturers and suppliers, and none of them have any warnings about containing nicotine.

This kind of goes to what I was trying to understand, why a local jurisdiction couldn't ban firearms, but could ban silencers.

Yeah, and I've gotten them without such a warning. Although I've been making my own coils for a while now (I mostly use RTA tanks), even for things like Kanger/Evod coils, but I don't think it's changed here in the U.S.
Yeah or laws here are strange. It most certainly a Canadian thing.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 01:09 PM   #978
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Why are you so anxious to divert the discussion away from the thread topic? It couldn't be shame that so many Americans are shot to death, could it?
Why are you so quick to ignore things in your own country?
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 01:46 PM   #979
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Why are you so quick to ignore things in your own country?
What have I ignored? Of course we have shootings in Canada. There have been a number that can be labelled as mass shootings. This number pales by comparison to the US even allowing for the population difference. And I am not trying to divert the discussion to avoid mass shootings in Canada. Feel free to raise this issue.

Given that my comment you quoted was directed toward Baylor and his attempted diversion, are you perhaps suggesting that acid attacks are an issue in Canada that I am ignoring?

Your post seems to have no context relevant to the thread or to my comment.
Old 4th June 2019, 01:56 PM   #980
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
That love is not shared elsewhere, where fellow citizens are loved more than guns.
Old 4th June 2019, 02:00 PM   #981
Baylor
Philosopher

OTOH those in the US appear to love guns. A significant minority of people own one or more, restrictions on use and ownership are comparatively benign and 10,000 people a year are killed using them and yet any restrictions on the use and ownership of guns is fought tooth and nail.
Every time you hear a European bugman mention "second amendment" or "The NRA" it's a red flag he has no idea what he's talking about. He knows he'll get hi-fives from other European bugmen but most Americans find it cringe.
Old 4th June 2019, 03:41 PM   #982
Samson
Philosopher

I am thinking this whole situation is ridiculous.
Specifically in Virginia/Virginia Beach.
This man purchased his guns legally.
He is allowed to carry them in public buildings except courtrooms and schools.

Of course from time to time people will shoot dead whoever they choose.
America is used to it and nothing needs to change in accordance with the constitution. Generally it is still more dangerous to drive a car, but not to fly in America.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 11:47 PM   #983
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Generally it is still more dangerous to drive a car, but not to fly in America.
That's because it's far more difficult to take a gun on a plane than it is to bring a gun with you in a car

I'd question that it's more dangerous to drive because comparing raw casualty and death numbers doesn't take account of usage. That's like saying that playing golf is more dangerous than climbing Everest because more people globally die each year doing the latter than the former.
Old 5th June 2019, 05:49 AM   #984
Lothian
should be banned

Every time you hear a European bugman mention "second amendment" or "The NRA" it's a red flag he has no idea what he's talking about. He knows he'll get hi-fives from other European bugmen but most Americans find it cringe.
I would love to give Don a high five unfortunately he didn't mention "second amendment" or "The NRA".

Please try to read the posts you quote and make sure your comments are relevant to the quote, as you are getting us bugmen excited for no reason.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 10:20 AM   #985
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Reification fallacy
Can you explain that claim?

Quote:
Can you evidence that claim?
Old 5th June 2019, 02:54 PM   #986
Baylor
Philosopher

Can you explain that claim?
Sure. That argument is a reification fallacy.

Can you evidence that claim?
Yes. UK is the acid attack capital of the world. UK has something like 3,000 times the acid attacks as the US. Therefore, in the UK, the love of acid outweighs the love of citizens.
Old 5th June 2019, 02:55 PM   #987
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
I would love to give Don a high five unfortunately he didn't mention "second amendment" or "The NRA".

Please try to read the posts you quote and make sure your comments are relevant to the quote, as you are getting us bugmen excited for no reason.
Hi five!

Old 5th June 2019, 03:03 PM   #988
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
The NRA is happy about this, it will drive up gun sales.
The NRA hates it when things like this happen but we live in the world that we do and schools need guards to protect them. Massacres happen in places where good guys are unarmed and the bad guys are.

Lunatics like this shooter usually say or do something to warn whoever is around them, not always but I bet the shooter gave warning of some kind and the school and the people who heard the warning should have acted accordingly. A mass shooting was averted because a student overheard two kids making plans and told the police.

As a gun owner myself and a NRA member I hate it when this happens.
Old 6th June 2019, 03:10 AM   #989
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
The NRA hates it when things like this happen but we live in the world that we do and schools need guards to protect them. Massacres happen in places where good guys are unarmed and the bad guys are.
Except of course when they do. Like when the armed school officer fleas for safety or the police shoot innocent armed citizens near a mass shooting. But never let facts get in the way.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 12:12 PM   #990
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Sure. That argument is a reification fallacy.
Please explain how.

Quote:
Yes. UK is the acid attack capital of the world. UK has something like 3,000 times the acid attacks as the US. Therefore, in the UK, the love of acid outweighs the love of citizens.
Non sequitur. A high instance of something happening does not mean there is approval of it happening.

Instead there is universal revulsion at the number of attacks and those caught and convicted are punished.
Old 6th June 2019, 02:33 PM   #991
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post

Lunatics like this shooter usually say or do something to warn whoever is around them, not always but I bet the shooter gave warning of some kind and the school and the people who heard the warning should have acted accordingly. A mass shooting was averted because a student overheard two kids making plans and told the police.
It's ok everyone. It's the victims fault. Again. The solution is, as always, more guns and more armed people.

Quote:

As a gun owner myself and a NRA member I hate it when this happens.
Not enough to try to ease up your addiction to your guns.
Hungry81 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 06:29 PM   #992
Ranb
Philosopher

....Instead there is universal revulsion at the number of attacks and those caught and convicted are punished.
Is that enough or is it working to reduce the attacks? I admit that I know next to nothing about acid attacks other than that I hear about them in the news from time to time. But there is universal revulsion over most forms of attacks on persons in civilized countries and the perpetrators are normally punished when caught.

So what are the authorities doing about acid attacks other than thoughts, prayers and punishment?
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 12:24 AM   #993
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I don't know if they have made it into law yet but the measures include outright ban of "acid" sales to under 18s and a new offence for carrying acid to be implemented in a similar way to the offence of carrying a knife. There was also suggestions to further reduce the public availability of sulphuric acid but again don't know if that has happened yet.

Old 7th June 2019, 01:49 AM   #994
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
Is that enough or is it working to reduce the attacks? I admit that I know next to nothing about acid attacks other than that I hear about them in the news from time to time. But there is universal revulsion over most forms of attacks on persons in civilized countries and the perpetrators are normally punished when caught.

So what are the authorities doing about acid attacks other than thoughts, prayers and punishment?
An example of action is making the purchase of corrosive substances harder;

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/r...e-acid-attacks

Lots of retailers have voluntarily agreed to assist.

I get your comment on thoughts and prayers, but not punishment;

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8233516.html

"Acid is to be defined as a “highly dangerous weapon” for the first time, allowing judges to impose harsher punishments on anyone found to be carrying it in public.
New guidelines published by the Sentencing Council are part of efforts to crackdown on a spate of attacks using corrosive substances, with more than 400 recorded in England and Wales in the six months to April last year."
Old 7th June 2019, 02:06 AM   #995
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I don't know if they have made it into law yet but the measures include outright ban of "acid" sales to under 18s and a new offence for carrying acid to be implemented in a similar way to the offence of carrying a knife. There was also suggestions to further reduce the public availability of sulphuric acid but again don't know if that has happened yet.

I doubt it got anywhere given the exalted status of acid in the UK. There are just too many activists (known as acidvists) who hold rallies, vote, and engage in letter writing campaigns. Their enthusiasm and political power is comparable to gun rights activists in the US. I mean, if it weren't, then a poster here wouldn't foolishly double-down on the analogy after it's already been picked apart (Don) and brutally mocked (Ian).

With SJWs, the Left has achieved self-parody. It's clear they just want to restrict our access to long cherished tools. It's gotten to the point where they'll even whine on behalf of "victims" who received FREE acid.
Old Yesterday, 01:14 AM   #996
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

It seems to me this so nearly came close to happening, that I'm going to put it in this thread anyway. A man holding a loaded pistol and carrying lots of extra ammunition was arrested outside a New Jersey elementary school.

Quote:
Officers found the suspect Thursday afternoon in the front seat of his SUV at Tamaques Elementary School in Westfield, according to the Union County prosecutor's office. He was holding a loaded .45-caliber handgun, it said in a statement Friday.

Classes had let out for the day, but the precautionary lockdown went into effect because after-school activities were still going on, CNN affiliate News12 reported.

The man, later identified as Thomas J. Wilkie, 46, of Bear, Delaware, had two additional loaded clips of ammunition on his person and 130 more rounds in his vehicle's trunk, the prosecutor's office said.

Police acted on a tip from the New Castle Police Department in Delaware that said Wilkie was on his way to the school and may be armed, according to the statement.
The last detail is important. This wasn't just a man with weaponry who happened to be caught in a school parking lot where he may have randomly decided to stop; the police received a tip that he was heading specifically to that school with a weapon.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events