ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , assault incidents , Chicago incidents , Jussie Smollett

Closed Thread
Old 31st January 2019, 01:19 PM   #281
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
I'll jump in. What does he have to gain............
Wow, that's an awful lot of words for "nothing at all".
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 01:20 PM   #282
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
What on earth is extraordinary about a lone black man being mugged by white guys on the streets of urban America? His producer said "Just another ******* day in America".*

*And before some trigger happy mod jumps on that, that isn't an attempt to get around the censor. That is a quote.
Mod InfoPosters are reminded that they are responsible for all material they post here. Even in quoted material.
Posted By:kmortis
The noose, the bleach, and now the time frame, are what I find extraordinary.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?

Last edited by kmortis; 13th February 2019 at 09:29 AM.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 01:21 PM   #283
The Big Dog

What on earth is extraordinary about a lone black man being mugged by white guys on the streets of urban America? His producer said "Just another ******* day in America".*

*And before some trigger happy mod jumps on that, that isn't an attempt to get around the censor. That is a quote.
Mod InfoPosters are reminded that they are responsible for all material they post here. Even in quoted material.
Posted By:kmortis
probably because here 9 times out of 10 the people doing the mugging are black, and the rest of the time it is a hoax.

Just another day in ******* Chicago

Last edited by kmortis; 13th February 2019 at 09:29 AM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 01:22 PM   #284
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I think the cord hanging from the "redneck" clothing was probably the string you use to pull it tight around the waist.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 01:24 PM   #285
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I suspect this story will be quietly put on a shelf.

Old 31st January 2019, 01:24 PM   #286
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

They might exist in your culture, but not in mine. I don't take any interest in your culture, and most certainly don't follow its news stories. Why should I?
Not sure exactly what that means, or it's relevance. But in the shared culture that Smollett and I occupy, fake hate crimes are quite common.
Old 31st January 2019, 01:25 PM   #287
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I think the cord hanging from the "redneck" clothing was probably the string you use to pull it tight around the waist.
Yeah, they was hanging around outside of lower water on the third coldest night of the year wearing dress shoes, like rednecks usually do.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 01:33 PM   #288
The Big Dog

I suspect that there will be zero evidence, and then there will be no more cooperation, and he will tearfully announce it’s because he is afraid of the police. His fellow travelers will then hold tearful press conferences relating the fears of the police in the black and gay communities.

****, his supporters are already laying that mattress right here in this very thread: "it should be "OBVIOUS" why he didn't give the phone to the Chicago police."

Obvious.
Old 31st January 2019, 01:39 PM   #289
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

There's still something wonky with the time line reporting.

The attack was presumably right around 2:00.

The video stills are apparently from 15 to 30 minutes prior to 2:00 and the video ends with Smollett entering the apartment building.

https://dig.abclocal.go.com/wls/docu...lett-alert.pdf

Last edited by LTC8K6; 31st January 2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old 31st January 2019, 01:45 PM   #290
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
I can see the alleged location this took place at from my office window. the cops who are wasting their time chasing tape on this idiotic fable are the same ones who should be patrolling this neighborhood instead...
And maybe hiring a Graphic Designer. Yikes!

https://dig.abclocal.go.com/wls/docu...lett-alert.pdf
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 01:46 PM   #291
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

They should know two definite times.

When Smollett left the sub place, and when he entered the apartment building.

I think they only know the rough time of the video stills because none of the clocks are synchronized and there is wide variation of the time stamps.

Old 31st January 2019, 01:52 PM   #292
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Sent to the back of the bus.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 02:04 PM   #293
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

11:18 AM PT -- We're told cops recently visited a Target Department Store close to where the incident happened and obtained surveillance footage. Our source says the video shows one person -- presumably Jussie -- walking down the street. Officers also visited a nearby apartment building to ask for video.

That's from TMZ, and if accurate, and he's on his way home, it narrows the short time frame for an attack even more.

Old 31st January 2019, 02:07 PM   #294
Cavemonster
Philosopher

A lot of selective disbelief in this thread.

Yelling "MAGA Country" in a liberal city is too impossible a thing to be real but a person risking a successful performing career with a lie that seems to have little plausible benefit is likely?

Both behaviors would be odd, but the skepticism that attackers might act in an odd way juxtaposed with the credulity that Smollet would act in a far far stranger way is telling.

The comparisons to Cosby and other celebrities are downright bizarre. There's no mystery to what Cosby had to gain from his actions. He gained a lot of sex. He also wasn't taking much of a risk. He got away with it for decades, and he knew he could. In this case, the risk is obviously large and the benefit difficult to imagine.

This isn't to say that it's impossible that Smollet is lying. But the inconsistency in the way his story is being analyzed and the way alternative theories are is ridiculous.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 02:08 PM   #295
Elagabalus
Illuminator

11:18 AM PT -- We're told cops recently visited a Target Department Store close to where the incident happened and obtained surveillance footage. Our source says the video shows one person -- presumably Jussie -- walking down the street. Officers also visited a nearby apartment building to ask for video.

That's from TMZ, and if accurate, and he's on his way home, it narrows the short time frame for an attack even more.
I'm not sure if accurate and TMZ go together that well.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 02:10 PM   #296
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
A lot of selective disbelief in this thread.

Yelling "MAGA Country" in a liberal city is too impossible a thing to be real but a person risking a successful performing career with a lie that seems to have little plausible benefit is likely?

Both behaviors would be odd, but the skepticism that attackers might act in an odd way juxtaposed with the credulity that Smollet would act in a far far stranger way is telling.

The comparisons to Cosby and other celebrities are downright bizarre. There's no mystery to what Cosby had to gain from his actions. He gained a lot of sex. He also wasn't taking much of a risk. He got away with it for decades, and he knew he could. In this case, the risk is obviously large and the benefit difficult to imagine.

This isn't to say that it's impossible that Smollet is lying. But the inconsistency in the way his story is being analyzed and the way alternative theories are is ridiculous.
As stated, if it had not been for the MAGA country chant, we would not be having this discussion.
And it's not the first time a lot of crap is being promoted under the guise of "Critical Thinking".
And I am going to bell the cat. Most of the supporters here of the SMolett is faking it theory are on the political right.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 02:19 PM   #297
baron

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
As stated, if it had not been for the MAGA country chant, we would not be having this discussion.
As stated, that is blatantly not true.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 02:23 PM   #298
CORed
Philosopher

And it's not the first time a lot of crap is being promoted under the guise of "Critical Thinking".
And I am going to bell the cat. Most of the supporters here of the SMolett is faking it theory are on the political right.
It's not unprecedented for "hate crimes" to be hoaxed, but I don't really see any compelling evidence that this is the case for the incident being discussed.

Some people just seem to really want this to be a hoax. I'm seeing lots of argument from incredulity being offered, like, why would anybody be wearing a ski mask when it's ten below?

Last edited by CORed; 31st January 2019 at 02:25 PM.
CORed is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 02:24 PM   #299
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I'm not sure if accurate and TMZ go together that well.
There is a Target store right there and the whole area is known for it's abundance of surveillance cameras.

So it seems likely that Jussie is on camera walking by the Target store.

Old 31st January 2019, 02:25 PM   #300
The Big Dog

It is a bit more than that ain't it? It is not just that they allegedly yelled that ridiculous statement, but that they knew this guy was the "faggot" from Empire.

It is exactly the type of thing that someone would imagine their political boogeymen would yell out.

In the cold, at 2 am, in an area known for homeless and petty drug deals.

And the cops are wasting their time on this ********.
Old 31st January 2019, 02:27 PM   #301
Cavemonster
Philosopher

It is a bit more than that ain't it? It is not just that they allegedly yelled that ridiculous statement, but that they knew this guy was the "faggot" from Empire.

It is exactly the type of thing that someone would imagine their political boogeymen would yell out.

In the cold, at 2 am, in an area known for homeless and petty drug deals.

And the cops are wasting their time on this ********.
Recognizing celebrities is unbelievable now? Or following people?
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 02:28 PM   #302
Distracted1
Master Poster

Which one? He's made lots of comments above.

I don't live in a "crazy culture of identity politics". I don't live somewhere where it is "common for people to fake these kinds of incidents". So I haven't a clue as to any such person's motivation, or even if such people really exist. I live somewhere where the police gather evidence, the CPS decides whether to bring charges, and people are innocent until proven guilty.

Can you point me to any successful people in the public eye who have faked something of this nature? Someone with the same balance of what's to be gained against what's to be lost as this actor?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lochtegate
Old 31st January 2019, 02:29 PM   #303
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Not sure exactly what that means, or it's relevance. But in the shared culture that Smollett and I occupy, fake hate crimes are quite common.
You also occupy a culture where actual hate crimes are far more common than fake ones. A culture where people really mail bombs to the wrong addresses based on the bomber's political rage. A culture where white-supremacists march in the streets with tiki-torches chanting 'the Jews will not replace us'. A culture where cars are driven into crowds and people still justify it and want to make it legal to do so.

Any skepticism based on 'it sounds too much like a cartoon hate crime' is ridiculous. That remains true regardless of if this incident was really one or a hoax, because other things just as crazy really did happen.

In short, even in cases where skepticism is legitimately warranted, there remain arguments for skepticism which are abject ********.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 02:30 PM   #304
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

probably because here 9 times out of 10 the people doing the mugging are black, and the rest of the time it is a hoax.

Just another day in ******* Chicago
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 02:31 PM   #305
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Well, you would need the attackers to recognize Jussie, know that he would be walking that route early in the morning, and have brought bleach and a cord with them. The route is only about 5 minutes or so, so they have little time to run into Jussie.

They could have seen Jussie at the Subway, and they could know where he lives, so they could know where and how to intercept him.

So I don't find it unbelievable that some attackers were able to intercept him on his way home.

Old 31st January 2019, 02:32 PM   #306
The Big Dog

Recognizing celebrities is unbelievable now? Or following people?
calling this guy a celebrity is a bit rich, ain't it? He is a bit player.

But now we have some meat on the bones! You are claiming that he was "being followed"? The cops have looked at hundreds of hours of video and have not seen that at all.

Hmmm.

ITS MAGA COUNTRY!
Old 31st January 2019, 02:33 PM   #307
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
It's a celebrity's phone - usually full of the numbers of other celebrities, all of whom will assume that their numbers are now public (especially if given to some group like the Chicago PD), and that they have to get new numbers, find out what everyone else's new number is again, etc. - and who may blame him for the problem.

Thought that one would be obvious...
It was obvious when talking about Tom Brady's phone, but not now. Odd right?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 02:34 PM   #308
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Well, you would need the attackers to recognize Jussie, know that he would be walking that route early in the morning, and have brought bleach and a cord with them. The route is only about 5 minutes or so, so they have little time to run into Jussie.

They could have seen Jussie at the Subway, and they could know where he lives, so they could know where and how to intercept him.

So I don't find it unbelievable that some attackers were able to intercept him on his way home.
This keeps being said, and sorry if I've missed it in this thread of naysaying, but where are you getting that the liquid must have been bleach? As far as I've seen Smollett only claimed it was a liquid and the police claimed to have smelled bleach.
Old 31st January 2019, 02:35 PM   #309
Steve
Philosopher

It's peddling a conspiracy theory under the guise of critical thinking.

And why do I think a lot of "this was fake" talking points are coming off of right wing websites?
Why "conspiracy"? See below.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Last time I checked, actors have never been immune to the human activity of doing obviously stupid crap that could wreck their career.
Actors are also not immune from ingesting chemicals that could make them do stupid crap without even realizing it's stupid.

There was a time in the 70's where my friends and I would partake of Dr. Hoffman's discovery. Some of the things we did would have made no sense at all to any casual observer. There was no purpose or "why". They just happened. We were not celebrities, there was no social media, and no-one had cameras so there was no publicity. Times are different now but the effect of said illicit chemicals is still the same.
Old 31st January 2019, 02:35 PM   #310
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Well, MAGA is written on the letter sent earlier.

So I don't discount anything on that either.

If you believe the letter and the attack are connected, then MAGA fits.

Old 31st January 2019, 02:36 PM   #311
carlitos
"más divertido"

What on earth is extraordinary about a lone black man being mugged by white guys on the streets of urban America?

My unhelpful anecdote would be that 2 white guys mugging a black guy in Streeterville sounds pretty unusual. But I was wondering about this so I looked and found a summary of a study. Here's the link to the PDF of the original study.

Short version - the vast majority of violent crimes are committed by folks of the same race as the victim. White on black would be rare, as black on white would also be rare (just very slightly less rare).

Quote:
Some 57 percent of crimes involving white victims were committed by white perpetrators, while only 15 percent were committed by blacks, and 11 percent by Hispanics. Black crime victims fell along similar racial lines, with 63 percent of the crimes committed by black perpetrators, while 11 percent were committed by whites, and 6.6 percent by Hispanics.

Overall, the BJS reported, “the percentage of intraracial [that is, same-race] victimization was higher than the percentage of interracial victimization for all types of violent crime except robbery.”

Moreover, it explained, “the rate of white-on-white violent crime (12.0 per 1,000) was about four times higher than black-on-white violent crime (3.1 per 1,000). The rate of black-on-black crime (16.5 per 1,000) was more than five times higher than white-on-black violent crime (2.8 per 1,000). The rate of Hispanic-on-Hispanic crime (8.3 per 1,000) was about double the rate of white-on-Hispanic (4.1 per 1,000) and black-on-Hispanic (4.2 per 1,000) violent crime.”
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 02:37 PM   #312
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
This keeps being said, and sorry if I've missed it in this thread of naysaying, but where are you getting that the liquid must have been bleach? As far as I've seen Smollett only claimed it was a liquid and the police claimed to have smelled bleach.
Okay, they were carrying a container of liquid that smelled like bleach. It doesn't really matter.

Old 31st January 2019, 02:38 PM   #313
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Actually, it might have been a crime of opportunity i.e. they went for the guy walking down the street and recognized him from the show. Your police pdf says only that an unknown liquid substance was poured on him so they wouldn't necessarily be carrying bleach around with them either.
Old 31st January 2019, 02:40 PM   #314
Cavemonster
Philosopher

calling this guy a celebrity is a bit rich, ain't it? He is a bit player.

But now we have some meat on the bones! You are claiming that he was "being followed"? The cops have looked at hundreds of hours of video and have not seen that at all.

Hmmm.

ITS MAGA COUNTRY!
I'm making a claim now? Where?
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Old 31st January 2019, 02:40 PM   #315
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Actually, it might have been a crime of opportunity i.e. they went for the guy walking down the street and recognized him from the show. Your police pdf says only that an unknown liquid substance was poured on him so they wouldn't necessarily be carrying bleach around with them either.
Jesus, I'm agreeing that the story is not "unbelievable" and I'm getting flak...

Old 31st January 2019, 02:42 PM   #316
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

What is narrowing down the possibility that this attack occurred on the way back from Subway is the time frame and the video cameras.

There's nothing else that I would question as "impossible" in the story.

Old 31st January 2019, 02:42 PM   #317
The Big Dog

Well, MAGA is written on the letter sent earlier.

So I don't discount anything on that either.

If you believe the letter and the attack are connected, then MAGA fits.
Yeah, they are connected!

/right now, I think the letter is as fake as our hero's story about the MAGA COUNTRY tough boys staking out our hero to give him some bad words and a tiny cut on the cheek.
Old 31st January 2019, 02:43 PM   #318
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
This is the one fact abut the incident that you want to question?!
Old 31st January 2019, 02:45 PM   #319
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

If the police smelled bleach ~45 minutes after the attack, how strong would that smell have been at the time of the attack?

Assuming the police were indeed smelling the residue of what was thrown on Smollett.

Old 31st January 2019, 02:45 PM   #320
baron

Yeah, they are connected!

/right now, I think the letter is as fake as our hero's story about the MAGA COUNTRY tough boys staking out our hero to give him some bad words and a tiny cut on the cheek.
And what is that cut on his cheek anyway? That doesn't look like it came from a punch. Looks like a scratch from a nail to me. Not the kind of thing you'd get from being attacked by two guys, especially two guys wearing gloves.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events