ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th April 2019, 09:06 PM   #41
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I hope it doesn't come to whale warfare, the carnage would be ambergrisly.
A slight stretch but not a bad one!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 09:09 PM   #42
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
During WW2 the Soviets strapped mines to dogs that had been taught their meal could be found under German tanks. Why not weaponize a whale?
Second place I have "heard" this in the last three days. Here and on cable - WWII stuff!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 09:11 PM   #43
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
My understanding is that it didn't work so well for dogs. In real combat they were frightened by the German tanks and often tried to return to their Soviet trainers. No so good.
And that was pointed out also on the show I mention above!!!
Old 30th April 2019, 03:49 AM   #44
dann
Philosopher

Quote:
The strange behaviour of the whale, which was actively seeking out the vessels and trying to pull straps and ropes from the sides of the boats

So the whale wasn't "weaponized," as claimed in the title of this thread, and it appears to have been trained to harass fishing boats?!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 05:44 AM   #45
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by dann View Post
So the whale wasn't "weaponized," as claimed in the title of this thread, and it appears to have been trained to harass fishing boats?!
Perhaps it wasn't intentionally trained to harass boats, perhaps it chooses to harass boats as acts of revenge against humanity for trying to train it to do something else. 'I will not twerk for your amusement!' says the whale, overturning a boatfull of reality television producers. 'You tried to make a spectacle of me, therefore I will crush your bones between my mighty jaws and turn the oceans red with your blood or at least pull ropes off your boats. You like these ropes? They serve a purpose? Well, I just yanked them! How do like me now? Also you know how humans swim in the ocean? I've been pooping there! Even when I have diarrhea!'
Old 30th April 2019, 06:05 AM   #46
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
During WW2 the Soviets strapped mines to dogs that had been taught their meal could be found under German tanks. Why not weaponize a whale?
My understanding is that it didn't work so well for dogs. In real combat they were frightened by the German tanks and often tried to return to their Soviet trainers. No so good.
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I heard that they didn't train them to go under German tanks, they trained them to go under Soviet tanks, since they didn't have any German tanks to train them with.
God, I hope this is true. I mean, I love doggies as much as the next guy, but I can't stop laughing.

Go get 'em, comrade spot! Go get the goodie under the tank! Nyet, nyet, over there spot! OH SWEET JESUS GET ME THE **** OUT OF HERE!!!
Old 30th April 2019, 12:55 PM   #47
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps it wasn't intentionally trained to harass boats, perhaps it chooses to harass boats as acts of revenge against humanity for trying to train it to do something else. 'I will not twerk for your amusement!' says the whale, overturning a boatfull of reality television producers. 'You tried to make a spectacle of me, therefore I will crush your bones between my mighty jaws and turn the oceans red with your blood or at least pull ropes off your boats. You like these ropes? They serve a purpose? Well, I just yanked them! How do like me now? Also you know how humans swim in the ocean? I've been pooping there! Even when I have diarrhea!'
The video looked like it was accustomed to human attention and was looking for some. Not actually harassing. Wonder if the Russkies are out looking for it now? Not cheap training something like that.
Old 30th April 2019, 01:22 PM   #48
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
The video looked like it was accustomed to human attention and was looking for some. Not actually harassing.
That's exactly what murderwhale wants you to think! It was poisoning the ropes!!

Quote:
Wonder if the Russkies are out looking for it now? Not cheap training something like that.
Those Russian scientists and their armed guards and all the staff at the Paranormal Institute have been long since murdered by the deathwhale. It sliced them all to ribbons and then rolled around in the blood, laughing. Killing amuses it, it feasts upon our horror as much as it feasts upon our flesh. It's already the world's most perfect killing machine; once it assembles the amulet it will be utterly unstoppable.
Old 30th April 2019, 01:57 PM   #49
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
God, I hope this is true. I mean, I love doggies as much as the next guy, but I can't stop laughing.

Go get 'em, comrade spot! Go get the goodie under the tank! Nyet, nyet, over there spot! OH SWEET JESUS GET ME THE **** OUT OF HERE!!!

Is anybody else reminded of the scene in the movie Darwin Awards?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 02:02 PM   #50
Elagabalus
Illuminator

All these arguments are just poisoning the whale.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 04:23 PM   #51
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I disagree that the word is necessarily wrong. If the whale was trained for any military purpose whatsoever - even if just to capture video intelligence on Norwegian shipping, say - I think "weaponized" is still accurate. According to Oxford, one definition of weapon is "a means of gaining an advantage or defending oneself in a conflict or contest." Using whales - or any other ostensibly neutral thing - to conduct surveillance or gather intelligence certainly qualifies under that definition.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 09:57 PM   #52
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
If the whale was trained for any military purpose whatsoever -

That's a pretty big if!
And what would being "trained for any military purpose whatsoever" have to do with its "trying to pull straps and ropes" from the sides of fishing boats?
Old 30th April 2019, 10:16 PM   #53
dann
Philosopher

rt.com are having a field day with this story. They've even come up with a cartoon of the playful, weaponized whale: RT Norway News
And for some reason, my hometown is being dragged into this!

Quote:
More recently, a couple of trained belugas were deployed in Sochi harbor as part of the security protocol in the run-up to the 2014 Winter Olympic Games hosted by the southern Russian city. Or at least that’s what the urban legend claims – belugas were spotted near Sochi for several years after the games were over and may be from the local aquarium, according to some accounts.
However, that doesn’t mean that the “tame and safe” whale encountered by the Norwegians is not a trained assassin on a mission from the Kremlin to undermine the NATO-founding ally. This may have all been a trick to sneak the spy rig right into the heart of the Norwegian military or to study top-secret sources and methods. There is really no guarantee that ‘Comrade Belugov’ is still swimming joyfully around Ingoya, rather than reporting his success to his superiors somewhere on a mini-submarine near Copenhagen!
Well done, Comrade Belugov! Did ‘Russian Navy whale’ trick Norwegians into seizing spy harness? (RT, April 30, 2019)

I still think that trained crickets are the future in this game!
Old 1st May 2019, 12:51 AM   #54
Checkmite

That's a pretty big if!
And what would being "trained for any military purpose whatsoever" have to do with its "trying to pull straps and ropes" from the sides of fishing boats?
The original article (linked in the OP's article; it is in Norwegian, use the translation service of your choice) shows the scientists from the University of Tromso saying that the Russian navy is known to have some kind of whale-training program; and they specifically say that the harness that was found fastened around the whale is not something any known scientific research program would use for any reason. As this university is an oceanic research institute, they would be in more of a position to know that latter fact than you or I. If it is a navy training program, then it is de facto for a military purpose. I would consider somebody proposing that the Russian navy was training whales for some non-military function to be making an extraordinary claim - or at least the more extraordinary one.

The whale's specific behavior when it was first encountered, is of dubious relevance. What matters is the harness that was found strapped (too) tightly around it, and the evidence for the harness's origin.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2019, 12:53 AM   #55
Checkmite

rt.com are having a field day with this story.
As they had with the Skripal assassination attempt, and the Mueller investigation.
Old 1st May 2019, 12:53 AM   #56
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

if this is Atlantian Tech ...
... it sure is lame.
Old 1st May 2019, 02:24 AM   #57
dann
Philosopher

As they had with the Skripal assassination attempt, and the Mueller investigation.

... and the Cuban/Jamaican brain-damaging crickets!
Old 1st May 2019, 02:34 AM   #58
dann
Philosopher

The original article (linked in the OP's article; it is in Norwegian, use the translation service of your choice) shows the scientists from the University of Tromso saying that the Russian navy is known to have some kind of whale-training program; and they specifically say that the harness that was found fastened around the whale is not something any known scientific research program would use for any reason. As this university is an oceanic research institute, they would be in more of a position to know that latter fact than you or I. If it is a navy training program, then it is de facto for a military purpose. I would consider somebody proposing that the Russian navy was training whales for some non-military function to be making an extraordinary claim - or at least the more extraordinary one.

The whale's specific behavior when it was first encountered, is of dubious relevance. What matters is the harness that was found strapped (too) tightly around it, and the evidence for the harness's origin.

RT.com have many interesting things to tell us about Norwegian-Russian relations. Two weeks ago, for instance:

Quote:
A retired Norwegian border guard was sentenced to 14 years in a Russian prison for gathering data on Russian nuclear submarines. His lawyer says he was played by the Norwegian side.
Norwegian ex-border guard sentenced to 14 yrs in Russia for nuclear sub espionage

I still find it fascinating that the Russian navy would equip their trained killer whales with a home address - and in English! They must be as stupid as they're made out to be in the movies ...
Old 1st May 2019, 05:00 AM   #59
dann
Philosopher

The original article (linked in the OP's article; it is in Norwegian, use the translation service of your choice)

I don't need any translation service to read an article in Norwegian, but I can recommend another article from NRK, the Norwegian public service radio and TV company:

Quote:
– Vi er ikke idioter
Den russiske militæreksperten Viktor Baranets sier til den russiske TV-kanalen Govorit Moskva at hvalen kan ha tilhørt den russiske marinen, men at den ikke ble brukt til spionasje.

– Nordmennene skulle sikkert gjerne hatt et ID-nummer til en delfinoffiser også. Vi er ikke idioter. Hvis vi hadde drevet rekognosering med dette dyret, hvordan skulle vi gjort det? Skrevet et mobilnummer på den som man kunne ringe hvis noe skulle skje? sier Baranets.

Han sier samtidig at Russland har delfiner til militær bruk, og at det ikke er hemmelig i det hele tatt.
Forsvarsanalytiker: – Dresserte hvaler har ingen fremtid (NRK, May 1, 2019)

I don't know how much will be lost in translation since this was probably already translated from Russian into Norwegian.

Last edited by dann; 1st May 2019 at 06:01 AM.
Old 1st May 2019, 06:20 AM   #60
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Really it's just part of a device for studying whale behavior by slowing it down. It is of course, a cetacean brake.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2019, 07:30 AM   #61
dann
Philosopher

Interesting. I had only heard of Philippa.
Old 1st May 2019, 10:50 AM   #62
Checkmite

RT.com have many interesting things to tell us about Norwegian-Russian relations.
Are you even aware that Russia Today is a Russian government-funded propaganda arm? Any reporting they do that involves a claim or complaint against the Russian government is not objective and shouldn't be cited, let alone repeatedly as you insist on doing.

I still find it fascinating that the Russian navy would equip their trained killer whales with a home address - and in English!
The article does not say the words were in English.
Old 1st May 2019, 10:55 AM   #63
Checkmite

I don't need any translation service to read an article in Norwegian, but I can recommend another article from NRK, the Norwegian public service radio and TV company:
This seems to reiterate the scientists' opinions that the whale was most likely part of a Russian military program.
Old 1st May 2019, 12:22 PM   #64
dann
Philosopher

Meanwhale ...

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 1st May 2019, 12:28 PM   #65
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Why did they assume it was a Russian plot? When I see whales I suspect the Finns.
No, on whales they're called flippers.

Hans
Old 1st May 2019, 01:09 PM   #66
dann
Philosopher

Are you even aware that Russia Today is a Russian government-funded propaganda arm? Any reporting they do that involves a claim or complaint against the Russian government is not objective and shouldn't be cited, let alone repeatedly as you insist on doing.

Yes, I am fully aware "that Russia Today is a Russian government-funded propaganda arm". Are you aware that google hides it so well that there's practically no chance of ever discovering an article from rt.com unless you include rt.com as one of your search words? When I was most actively searching for news about the cricket-damaged U.S. American diplomats, I sometimes went beyond page 20 in my google searches, and that was the first time ever I stumbled upon an article from RT.
Are you aware how often people do a google search and go beyond page two or three?!
But the horrendously stupid U.S. American propaganda from for instance NBC usually appear on the very first page, and people read that garbage and believe it! And you are one of them!
Are you aware how much U.S. propaganda I've cited over the years?! And now you want to stop me from posting anything at all from RT!!! What are you so afraid of? A different point of view, maybe? One that might make you think twice about cricket attacks?! Or killer belugas?!
How many RT articles have I cited over the years? My own guess is max four or five. So you'd better watch out. You might have been brain washed by them already!

You are just as convincing as you were in the cricket thread where one of my favourite links was the one to the RT video where the TV host even put on a tinfoil hat if I remember correctly.

Quote:
The article does not say the words were in English.

You are so incredibly ill informed! I guess you don't read or watch enough Russian Times!!! So let me refer you to an RT video where you can see a photo of the actual thing for yourself - in English!

I AGREE

Last edited by dann; 1st May 2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 1st May 2019, 01:14 PM   #67
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Okay so even if we have a whale with Russian equipment on it... I mean Russia does have interest outside of war. They probably do scientific research as well.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2019, 02:02 PM   #68
dann
Philosopher

No, I don't think so. Apart from war, the only thing Russians are really interested in is tying vowels down with so many consonants that they can't breathe (Wikipedia).
Does anybody know if beluga whales make a good soup?!
Old 1st May 2019, 02:26 PM   #69
angrysoba
Philosophile

Narwhals are especially horny.
And as for sperm whales...
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2019, 02:45 PM   #70
sackett
Philosopher

So were the Norwegians injured by the whale? If not, why do they have to blubber?

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2019, 03:11 PM   #71
Checkmite

Yes, I am fully aware "that Russia Today is a Russian government-funded propaganda arm". Are you aware that google hides it so well that there's practically no chance of ever discovering an article from rt.com unless you include rt.com as one of your search words? When I was most actively searching for news about the cricket-damaged U.S. American diplomats, I sometimes went beyond page 20 in my google searches, and that was the first time ever I stumbled upon an article from RT.
Are you aware how often people do a google search and go beyond page two or three?!
But the horrendously stupid U.S. American propaganda from for instance NBC usually appear on the very first page, and people read that garbage and believe it! And you are one of them!
That does not justify you citing RT on this matter; and neither have any of the articles cited in this thread so far been American news outlets; so whether or not NBC or any other outlet that nobody has cited here is US government propaganda or not is off-topic. To quoque should be beneath us.

Are you aware how much U.S. propaganda I've cited over the years?! And now you want to stop me from posting anything at all from RT!!! What are you so afraid of? A different point of view, maybe?
I know you're not a white supremacist, but this argument comes directly from their playbook, as well as those of people who try to cite the likes of Alex Jones, David Icke, and various "ilk". Their rhetorical tactics should also be beneath us.

RT by design serves as a Russian government mouthpiece in topics which involve the Russian government. Feel free to cite them in some other topic that does NOT involve the Russian government; however on a topic such as this they have a direct conflict of interest that should exclude them from consideration by a conscientious seeker of fact.

Last edited by Checkmite; 1st May 2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old 1st May 2019, 03:19 PM   #72
Checkmite

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Okay so even if we have a whale with Russian equipment on it... I mean Russia does have interest outside of war. They probably do scientific research as well.
It is possible; the problem is, the Russian military is already known to have a whale training program, while there is no currently-known Russian scientific program undertaking research on whales, which means Occam's razor favors the navy based on what we know so far.

If it was some university or research institute's work, rather than the navy's, I'm sure that information would be appearing in dann's cited RT report alongside the flippant dismissal that is uniformly common to their reports on any international news story critical of Russia.
Old 1st May 2019, 04:09 PM   #73
Wolrab
Illuminator

Fifty sades of gray whales.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2019, 05:36 PM   #74
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

This proves that Putin has sinister porpoises!
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2019, 05:43 PM   #75
Checkmite

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
This proves that Putin has sinister porpoises!

[cetacean needed]
Old 1st May 2019, 07:11 PM   #76
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I hope we're dolphinished with the puns, they're not going over very whale.
Old 1st May 2019, 07:53 PM   #77
LongFuzzy
Thinker

The USA had an idea for attaching incendiaries to bats and releasing them over Japanese cities during WW 2 (where they would roust in and ignite the wooden buildings). Experiments in US failed; never actually used on Japan.
Actually the tests worked rather well. But you are correct, it was never used on Japan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_bomb

But did have some setbacks:

A series of tests to answer various operational questions were conducted. In one incident, the Carlsbad Army Airfield Auxiliary Air Base (32°15′39″N 104°13′45″W) near Carlsbad, New Mexico, was set on fire on May 15, 1943, when armed bats were accidentally released.[5] The bats roosted under a fuel tank and incinerated the test range.

The National Defense Research Committee (NDRC) observer stated: "It was concluded that X-Ray is an effective weapon." The Chief Chemist's report stated that, on a weight basis, X-Ray was more effective than the standard incendiary bombs in use at the time: "Expressed in another way, the regular bombs would give probably 167 to 400 fires per bomb load where X-Ray would give 3,625 to 4,748 fires.

Last edited by LongFuzzy; 1st May 2019 at 07:58 PM. Reason: fixed some stuff
LongFuzzy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2019, 09:38 PM   #78
dann
Philosopher

That does not justify you citing RT on this matter; and neither have any of the articles cited in this thread so far been American news outlets; so whether or not NBC or any other outlet that nobody has cited here is US government propaganda or not is off-topic. To quoque should be beneath us.

You don't seem to understand that I don't need to justify anything. Citing RT is not a crime, and Google is already doing its utmost, apart from outright banning them, to keep people from discovering anything online by RT. And it's a pretty disgusting trick that you're trying to play now. In most other threads, I haven't come across relevant RT articles. (Which may be Google's fault; I don't know.) In this thread, however, somebody definitely should look for what the Russians have to say about this, so deal with it!

Quote:
I know you're not a white supremacist, but this argument comes directly from their playbook, as well as those of people who try to cite the likes of Alex Jones, David Icke, and various "ilk". Their rhetorical tactics should also be beneath us.

No, their rhetoric has nothing whatsoever to do with white supremacism or Jones & Icke. The people who are making the conspiracy theories in this case are all in the western media, not in Russia. And you are lapping it up the same way you did when you heard the stories about the ultrasound, microwave, brain-smashing ... crickets.
You're freaking out! This is about whales. That beluga whales are called 'white whales' in Scandinavia, Hvidhval (Wikipedia), isn't racist. I haven't heard the Russians complain about blacks, people or whales. And David Icke thinks that some people are reptiles, not cetaceans.

Quote:
RT by design serves as a Russian government mouthpiece in topics which involve the Russian government. Feel free to cite them in some other topic that does NOT involve the Russian government; however on a topic such as this they have a direct conflict of interest that should exclude them from consideration by a conscientious seeker of fact.

So you have nothing specific to say about any of the contributions to this thread from RT? Then mind your own business or come up with a proper argument. And don't make the mistake to think that you decide what I'm free to do.
"conflict of interest" is a very poor argument. As if the western media were reporting the case of the 'weaponized whales' because they consider impartial news reporting sacrosanct. So far absolutely nothing supports the idea, but that also didn't stop them when they reported (and still report) that U.S. American diplomats in Havana and Guangzhou were attacked by out-of-this world weapons.

ETA: If you fear that the RT video contains mind-altering substances, you can also see the "Property St. Petersburg" photo in Colbert's Meanwhale video.

Last edited by dann; 1st May 2019 at 10:03 PM.
Old 1st May 2019, 09:48 PM   #79
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post

I hope that you find LongFuzzy's story about the bat bombs as funny as the story about the dog bombs:

Originally Posted by LongFuzzy View Post
A series of tests to answer various operational questions were conducted. In one incident, the Carlsbad Army Airfield Auxiliary Air Base (32°15′39″N 104°13′45″W) near Carlsbad, New Mexico, was set on fire on May 15, 1943, when armed bats were accidentally released.[5] The bats roosted under a fuel tank and incinerated the test range.
Old 1st May 2019, 10:11 PM   #80
Checkmite

Citing RT is not a crime, and Google is already doing its utmost, apart from outright banning them, to keep people from discovering anything online by RT.
For the same reason that Google is doing its utmost to prevent PrisonPlanet articles from coming up in casual searches about world events: they are known disinformation outlets, and Google, like social media platforms, have been taken to task in the years since Trump's election for allowing purveyors of disinformation to manipulate search result rankings and steer public discourse.

The people who are making the conspiracy theories in this case are all in the western media, not in Russia.
Reading the articles again, it seems to me the people "making the conspiracy theories in this case" are all in the University of Tromso.

So you have nothing specific to say about any of the contributions to this thread from RT?
Sigh. If you insist. Let's take a quote from the NRK article you linked:

Quote:
– Vi er ikke idioter
Den russiske militæreksperten Viktor Baranets sier til den russiske TV-kanalen Govorit Moskva at hvalen kan ha tilhørt den russiske marinen, men at den ikke ble brukt til spionasje.
– Nordmennene skulle sikkert gjerne hatt et ID-nummer til en delfinoffiser også. Vi er ikke idioter. Hvis vi hadde drevet rekognosering med dette dyret, hvordan skulle vi gjort det? Skrevet et mobilnummer på den som man kunne ringe hvis noe skulle skje? sier Baranets.
Han sier samtidig at Russland har delfiner til militær bruk, og at det ikke er hemmelig i det hele tatt.
– I Sevastopol har vi et senter for militærdelfiner. De er trent opp til å løse forskjellige oppgaver, som å analysere havbunnen, beskytte et havområde, drepe ukjente dykkere og feste miner på skrogene til utenlandske skip, sier han.
This quote has a "Russian military expert", talking to a Russian TV network, saying that Russia very much does have a cetacean-training program which teaches them to protect ports, including "killing unidentified divers and attaching mines to foreign ships". The only thing he seems to take issue with is the idea that the whale had an espionage function (which is just one of the hypothetical possibilities I mentioned, not a positive claim made by the scientists in Tromso).

So here is a Russian expert, acknowledging directly to Russian media that the whale quite possibly might be part of a Russian Navy program because such a program does exist and has trained animals to perform various functions, including some which even you couldn't credibly deny qualify for them for the term "weaponized". As far as I'm concerned, this article, that you posted, fully undermines every one of your objections thus far.

"conflict of interest" is a very poor argument.
It is not; the credibility of your source is fairly important.

Yes, perhaps I misspoke. You are certainly allowed to stamp your foot and cite RT if you want to, because I'm not the boss of you. There's no law against it or anything. However, it is a simple matter of fact that RT is as credible as PrisonPlanet or Brietbart, and there's nothing wrong with my pointing this out either.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events