ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th May 2019, 04:34 PM   #1
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

"London is no longer an English City"

...Says actor and writer John Cleese, best known as Basil Fawlty and Monty Python stalwart.

Quote:
London Mayor Sadiq Khan has criticised John Cleese after the Fawlty Towers legend said the capital was "not really an English city any more".

The former Monty Python star tweeted: "Virtually all my friends from abroad have confirmed my observation. So there must be some truth in it..."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48451384

Is there such a thing as an 'English city' or is Cleese using code for , 'too many immigrants'. Or does he have a fair point and is being censored?
Old 29th May 2019, 04:39 PM   #2
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I guess Cleese is losing it in his old age...........

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 04:55 PM   #3
Giz
Philosopher

I suppose he means:

“At the 2011 census, 36.7% of London's population was foreign born (including 24.5% born outside of Europe). With 3,082,000 residents born abroad in 2014. London has the largest population number (not percentage) of foreign-born residents of any UK city.”

Or maybe (as Cleese probably is visiting the central areas):

“Statistics show London's inner boroughs have a far higher immigrant population than its outer boroughs and there is also a clear trend of people of certain nationalities moving to boroughs already heavily-populated by their fellow countrymen.

Brent and Haringey have the highest proportion of foreign-born residents at 53.3 per cent, followed by Kensington and Chelsea and Westminster, on 51.8 per cent and 50.9 per cent respectively, according to the Mayor of London's Data Store. “

So, while the comments could be motivated by racism, it could also be that large demographic changes can change neighborhood character (not necessarily good or bad, but different).

London reminds me of New York. Vibrant, entertaining, lively, good food ... not necessarily the most English of places.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 04:56 PM   #4
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Well he can't have been censored by definition, even in theory, since his comments haven't been deleted. Disagreement, even resounding vocal disagreement, is not censorship.

I find it entirely plausible that Cleese didn't intend to refer to race OR immigrants with his comment as he claims, and simply chose his words badly. Now Leavers are trying to hold him up as speaking truth to their cause and "making the libs mad" when as far as I'm aware, Cleese is fairly liberal and not by any means anti-immigrant.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 04:56 PM   #5
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Well, pining for the way things used to be is pretty common. However, I do find it amusing that he does it from his home on the island of Nevis.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 05:41 PM   #6
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Giz View Post

London reminds me of New York. Vibrant, entertaining, lively, good food ... not necessarily the most English of places.
Same here. My wife and I stayed in Shepherds Bush for several weeks are we were struck firstly about how massively diverse the population was and secondly about how well everybody seemed to get on. My local pub, The Green, also reflected the diversity of the place - there were a few non-QPR fans.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 05:49 PM   #7
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

"London is no longer an English City"

I heard they were thinking about moving it
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 05:50 PM   #8
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I guess it doesn't matter nowadays what you're actually saying, but what millions of clueless people think it means.

Which is why I don't waste my time with social media.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 05:56 PM   #9
Myles
Thinker

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post

I think it’s that irritating bouzouki music in all of the cheese shops now.
Myles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 11:25 PM   #10
Bob001
Philosopher

From the link:
Quote:
"I suspect I should apologise for my affection for the Englishness of my upbringing, but in some ways I found it calmer, more polite, more humorous, less tabloid, and less money-oriented than the one that is replacing it," he wrote.

The guy is 79. It doesn't sound like racism as much as pining for a lost age.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 11:28 PM   #11
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Is there such a thing as an 'English city' or is Cleese using code for , 'too many immigrants'. Or does he have a fair point and is being censored?
He moved to st.Kitts and Nevis due to the "awful Brexit debate", "lying right-wing governments" and such. The country is almost 99% black. He backed Leave, but he also backed electoral and press reform, which were shot down, in his own words "by right-wing governments".

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...l-brexit-vote/

“Relationships between the races is absolutely superb, the people there are really kind. The children and adults are extraordinarily well educated and the weather is good."

He backed Leave, because:
“I don’t want to be ruled by Brussels bureaucrats who want to create a super state. I was pro-Brexit for that reason.

https://www.screendaily.com/news/joh...120947.article

The Monty Python and Fawlty Towers star admitted that “it will be five years before we know if it was a good thing or a bad thing, or if it will be a hard of soft exit”, but added that he supported the possibility of the latter option.

Does that seem like someone greatly concerned about the evil immigrants to you? I think we're making judgments a bit too quickly about what the tweet is supposed to mean. I think he's not concerned about immigration in general but about Muslims in particular:

I think it's legitimate to prefer one culture to another

For example, I prefer cultures that do not tolerate female genital mutilation.

Will this will be considered racist by all those who hover, eagerly hoping that someone will offend them - on someone else's behalf, naturally

McHrozni

Last edited by McHrozni; 29th May 2019 at 11:34 PM.
McHrozni is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 11:29 PM   #12
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
From the link:

Yeah, agreed.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 12:22 AM   #13
dann
Philosopher

Not at all racist:

Quote:
Cleese, who moved to the island of Nevis in the Caribbean in November last year, said: "It might interest those people who seem to think my remarks about London are racist as opposed to culturalist, to consider that what I like about spending time in Nevis.
Nevis has excellent race relations, a very well educated population, no sign of political correctness ... no sign of Rupert Murdoch, conscientious lawyers, a relaxed and humorous life style, a deep love of cricket, and a complete lack of knife crime. And, of course, wonderful weather."
(Evening Standard, May 30, 2019)

The only foreigners he seems to be worried about are Russian money launderers.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 12:24 AM   #14
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Well, pining for the way things used to be is pretty common.
Pining for the fjords perhaps?
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 12:25 AM   #15
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
Does that seem like someone greatly concerned about the evil immigrants to you?

No, not at all.

Quote:
I think we're making judgments a bit too quickly about what the tweet is supposed to mean. I think he's not concerned about immigration in general but about Muslims in particular:

Why do you think so? The quotation doesn't say that he's concerned about Muslims or Muslim immigrants.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 12:53 AM   #16
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
From the link:

Isn’t the heart of all reactionary xenophobia? Is he even pining though or just commenting on the fact that a demographic and cultural change has occurred? The stereotype of English meaning white skinned and bland food is from his generation.
Old 30th May 2019, 01:03 AM   #17
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

“I think it's legitimate to prefer one culture to another

Will this will be considered racist by all those who hover, eagerly hoping that someone will offend them - on someone else's behalf, naturally“

https://twitter.com/johncleese/statu...533793282?s=21

Now that is just Islamophobic dog whistling. Disappointing.
Old 30th May 2019, 02:12 AM   #18
Hevneren
Thinker

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post

Will this will be considered racist by all those who hover, eagerly hoping that someone will offend them - on someone else's behalf, naturally“

Are you sure? Maybe he just thinks FGM is bad.
Hevneren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 02:26 AM   #19
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Hevneren View Post
Are you sure? Maybe he just thinks FGM is bad.
I like tea, crumpets football, stiff upper lip, politeness, royals, no sex culture.

I don’t like FGM culture.
Old 30th May 2019, 02:43 AM   #20
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

FGM is pre-Islamic and from wiki;

Quote:
A 2013 UNICEF report identified 17 African countries in which at least 10 percent of Christian women and girls aged 15 to 49 had undergone FGM; in Niger 55 percent of Christian women and girls had experienced it, compared with two percent of their Muslim counterparts. The only Jewish group known to have practised it are the Beta Israel of Ethiopia. Judaism requires male circumcision, but does not allow FGM. FGM is also practised by animist groups, particularly in Guinea and Mali
I think it's safe to say that these religions will be represented in the melting pot that is London, so what is it? Non tolerance of FGM or pre-Islamophobia or Islamophobia or Christophobia or Beth Isrealophobia or maybe animistophobia?

Last edited by bluesjnr; 30th May 2019 at 02:46 AM.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 02:47 AM   #21
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I guess it doesn't matter nowadays what you're actually saying, but what millions of clueless people think it means.

Assuming millions of clueless people read your posts ....

Hans
Old 30th May 2019, 03:05 AM   #22
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

London is like many "powerhouse" cities quite unlike the rest of the country they happen to be in.
Old 30th May 2019, 03:06 AM   #23
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
FGM is pre-Islamic and from wiki;

I think it's safe to say that these religions will be represented in the melting pot that is London, so what is it? Non tolerance of FGM or pre-Islamophobia or Islamophobia or Christophobia or Beth Isrealophobia or maybe animistophobia?
Agree but this perspective makes it all a bit random. But the stereotype is there and the reaction by some seems to obvious.
Old 30th May 2019, 03:13 AM   #24
Robin
Philosopher

I haven't lived there for about 35 years. I don't know that it was ever a particularly English city, but then which English city is or ever was for that matter? They are all pretty much unique.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"

Last edited by Robin; 30th May 2019 at 03:15 AM.
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 03:21 AM   #25
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Not at all racist:

The only foreigners he seems to be worried about are Russian money launderers.
And it is good to live somewhere that you can do black face with out any worry about the PC police.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 03:42 AM   #26
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

I think you're just proving he has a point. The link between FGB and Islam is contentious at best. A correlation of sorts exists, but may not be causal.

McHrozni

Last edited by McHrozni; 30th May 2019 at 03:44 AM.
McHrozni is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 03:43 AM   #27
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I think you're just proving he has a point.

McHrozni
What is the point as you see it?
Old 30th May 2019, 04:12 AM   #28
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by shemp View Post

BREAKING: Shemp believes that people on social media are idiots.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 04:23 AM   #29
Francesca R
Girl

It's OK by me I'm not English either.
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 04:48 AM   #30
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

What is the point as you see it?
That people who have a burning desire to be offended will see the comment "I like cultures that don't allow FGM as better to those that do" as offensive on behalf of others.

I have a nagging suspicion you're a shining example of that happening.

McHrozni
Old 30th May 2019, 05:12 AM   #31
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

That people who have a burning desire to be offended will see the comment "I like cultures that don't allow FGM as better to those that do" as offensive on behalf of others.

I have a nagging suspicion you're a shining example of that happening.

McHrozni
But it is a tradition in London culture! Seriously this is some really weird digression.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 05:22 AM   #32
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Isn't London the city founded by invading Italians, conquered by invading Germans, conquered again by invading Danes, conquered again by invading French, and after that the capital of rulers imported from Scotland, Holland, and Germany? The most English thing about the place is its lack of Englishness.
Old 30th May 2019, 06:05 AM   #33
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Cleese has been coming out with this sort of guff for years, and is nothing surprising coming from someone who hasn't actually lived in the city for decades. The fact that he can claim "the complete lack of knife crime" in Saint Kitts and Nevis, when they have 9th highest homicide rate in the world, suggests very rose-tinted sunglasses....
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 06:22 AM   #34
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Cleese has been coming out with this sort of guff for years, and is nothing surprising coming from someone who hasn't actually lived in the city for decades. The fact that he can claim "the complete lack of knife crime" in Saint Kitts and Nevis, when they have 9th highest homicide rate in the world, suggests very rose-tinted sunglasses....
But are they using knives for it or proper guns?
Old 30th May 2019, 07:41 AM   #35
IsThisTheLife
Thinker

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Well, pining for the way things used to be is pretty common. However, I do find it amusing that he does it from his home on the island of Nevis.
Which, as Paul Joseph Watson has pointed out, means Cleese is happy as part of a small (white) minority in someone else's country. This is a problem for leftists trying to paint him as racist for evincing a dislike of vibrant, multicultural 21st C. London; why would a racist want live in a majority black country?
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 07:44 AM   #36
Tolls
Illuminator

I assume he never lived in or visited the east end (and surrounds).
That's had various non-English groups landing there for centuries.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 07:51 AM   #37
IsThisTheLife
Thinker

Cleese is exactly the kind of "old, white person" leftists say they want to see die off as quickly as possible. Actually, he's just a 'classical' liberal from the days before the word was coopted by the obnoxious ****s who use it now. Is anyone really going to try and claim that he has form as a "nationalist" (or "nazi" as the locals call them). No, they settle for the next best thing and (with their usual charm) try and demean him as "senile" or some-such.
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 08:13 AM   #38
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
Which, as Paul Joseph Watson has pointed out, means Cleese is happy as part of a small (white) minority in someone else's country. This is a problem for leftists trying to paint him as racist for evincing a dislike of vibrant, multicultural 21st C. London; why would a racist want live in a majority black country?
I think he's more of a snob than a racist. He's happy to be a minority in someone else's country, but is irked by the thought of minorities in his own country of origin. It's the same hypocrisy as Brits who move to Spain because of "the immigrants" in the UK.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 08:39 AM   #39
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Cleese is exactly the kind of "old, white person" leftists say they want to see die off as quickly as possible.
No, I'm happy for him to take his time. I trust that he'll get around to it eventually.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 08:43 AM   #40
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

I don't know about black countries, but I know quite a few white men living in Thailand and spending their days ranting about immigrants and foreigners online.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events