ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Boston incidents , Kyle Chapman , Mark Sahady , white nationalists

Old 7th June 2019, 05:05 AM   #121
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Sadly he hasn't, media portrayal is still very different from real life. Apart from some of the ghetto areas it will be very rare for say two men to walk holding hands like a heterosexual couple. Even today most gay folk know better than to scare the horses.
I think that very much depends where you are and who you're with. That which would pass without comment in, say, Brighton might cause comment in other parts of the country.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 05:06 AM   #122
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
After all this back and forward this is where you end up. Snug and smug in your privilege.
Lol
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayís Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 05:42 AM   #123
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Look

Forget I criticised parades.

They are ace and really do stuff
Many of the points you've raised were ones I've heard from gay friends. Pride parades are a contentions issue even withing various LGBTQ+ communities.

Pride parades are a complex issue. They have a historical context of acting as a defiant act of normalization. They can provide a safe space for public gathering, something that is still illegal in many parts of the world. For many of the friends I've talked to it's more about being in a safe community gathering than anything else. I've even heard it compared to things like Sci-Fi conventions for the social function.

I think a lot of the conflicting opinions about Pride and its value boil down to people having differing opinions about what it SHOULD mean and what it SHOULD achieve. Does a Pride parade in 2019 Boston have the same social significance as the 1970 NYC Pride March? No. Should Pride Parades come to an end because it won't? That's part of the debate.
Old 7th June 2019, 05:43 AM   #124
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I hope that momentum for this event doesn't get any legs. The mix of straight advocates and counter-protesters could be a real pressure cooker.
I think that's their plan. They WANT to start a riot. That's why they're having it on a day when thousands of college students are moving into their dorms.
Old 7th June 2019, 05:50 AM   #125
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
Many of the points you've raised were ones I've heard from gay friends. Pride parades are a contentions issue even withing various LGBTQ+ communities.

Pride parades are a complex issue. They have a historical context of acting as a defiant act of normalization. They can provide a safe space for public gathering, something that is still illegal in many parts of the world. For many of the friends I've talked to it's more about being in a safe community gathering than anything else. I've even heard it compared to things like Sci-Fi conventions for the social function.

I think a lot of the conflicting opinions about Pride and its value boil down to people having differing opinions about what it SHOULD mean and what it SHOULD achieve. Does a Pride parade in 2019 Boston have the same social significance as the 1970 NYC Pride March? No. Should Pride Parades come to an end because it won't? That's part of the debate.
Even though I do thoroughly hate parades, this is true. The gay pride parade in San Francisco, is pretty much pointless, in Boston, not so much, in Alabama, definitely not.

Also, one more for, this is largely a publicity stunt in which the "organizers" really hope there is some violence that they can claim was started by protestors. They are trolls IRL.

Organizers in scare quotes on account of their apparent lack of organizing ability.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 05:58 AM   #126
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

One problem I have with modern pride parades is that they present a false impression of triumph. We're here, we're queer, we can appear in public in short shorts sponsored by Coca Cola therefore equality is achieved! Except most of us can still be fired from our jobs for being gay. There are serious real-life inequalities still in force but they aren't as visible as dudes with great abs twerking on a dildo float so which makes the news?
Old 7th June 2019, 06:02 AM   #127
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I think that very much depends where you are and who you're with. That which would pass without comment in, say, Brighton might cause comment in other parts of the country.
That's why I said outside the ghettos, let's face it Brighton is a ghetto....
Old 7th June 2019, 06:29 AM   #128
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

I think that's their plan. They WANT to start a riot. That's why they're having it on a day when thousands of college students are moving into their dorms.
According to several reports, they donít actually have the parade permits, the organizing Neo Nazi is just bragging that he will have one because the city has to give him one. Which they donít, and they certainly donít have to give him one on move-in day.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 06:34 AM   #129
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That's why I said outside the ghettos, let's face it Brighton is a ghetto....

I didn't think Ghettos were supposed to be cripplingly expensive.

It's a very bijou ghetto.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]

Last edited by 3point14; 7th June 2019 at 06:35 AM.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 07:02 AM   #130
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
According to several reports, they donít actually have the parade permits, the organizing Neo Nazi is just bragging that he will have one because the city has to give him one. Which they donít, and they certainly donít have to give him one on move-in day.
It's a bit of a conundrum. Is he just being inept at planning, or is he hoping to get a bunch of people there to riot and then tell his supporters that the permit was yanked at the last second?

How important is a permit if your real intention is to get skinheads to gather to beat up college students?

Old 7th June 2019, 07:34 AM   #131
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Pgh Pride is this weekend. What's the feeling on straight people hanging out in the parade zone? I found a rainbow flag (clean) lying outside my place on the ground. I thought I might pop down to the parade route and wave it as they pass. I love waving flags!

Is this a good idea or a bad idea?

I don't want to misrepresent myself.

I've been downtown during Pride festival before, but I don't know the flag policy.

Last edited by isissxn; 7th June 2019 at 07:38 AM.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 07:50 AM   #132
halleyscomet
Philosopher

The organizers behind Boston’s Straight Pride Parade should concern you
Some of the organizers are close to neo-Nazis and other white supremacists.
Old 7th June 2019, 07:52 AM   #133
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
Pgh Pride is this weekend. What's the feeling on straight people hanging out in the parade zone? I found a rainbow flag (clean) lying outside my place on the ground. I thought I might pop down to the parade route and wave it as they pass. I love waving flags!

I've been downtown during Pride festival before, but I don't know the flag policy.
I saw something in Twitter the other day of advice for straight people attending pride parades, but didn't look at it so can't help. But there are suggestions in this regard
Old 7th June 2019, 07:59 AM   #134
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
...in the works.

This is basically an excuse for the latest Nazi wannabe parade. They'll be handled as is appropriate.

Please feel free to make that incredibly stupid mistake if you (or the people doing the "handling" you speak of) wish to.

Don't be deterred by the fact that Massachusetts was the first U.S. state to allow gay marriages, without weaselly half measures like "civil unions." That efforts to reverse that step (which was originally a state supreme court action) were opposed by a strong and vocal majority of the population. That the most recent polls on record indicate 75% to 80% support for gay marriage. (Not including the significant percentage of "no opinion" which is support by default, because tolerance doesn't have to mean active approval, just unwillingness to actively oppose.) That a recent statewide ballot initiative to roll back recently established trans rights was rejected by huge margins of the voting public. And that those statewide figures underestimate the level of support for LGBQ+ rights in Boston, which like most large urban centers is considerably more progressive than the state overall.

If you wanted to send the message that these protestors are Nazis and do not enjoy popular support in Boston, then you'd do nothing and let their action, if it happens at all, be pathetically minor and mocked by the Boston general public that happens to be around.

But if you want to send the message that straight people have no right to pride or identity, and that tolerance for different views only flows one way, by all means, "handle" it as you will. Everyone loves a good riot.
Old 7th June 2019, 08:00 AM   #135
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

pride parades goeth before the fall

It's warmer then
Old 7th June 2019, 08:04 AM   #136
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

The rainbow was never meant to be Hester's A. It's not solely an identifier of gay individuals, but an indication that the person or establishment is a LGBTQ friendly. For businesses, "a safe space". For individuals, "an ally". There are a whole lot of straight people marching in GP parades. Unless you're planning to do the dirty in the middle of Liberty Ave., how does one tell a gay person from a straight person in 2019 (or any other year)?

Pittsburgh Pride has a history of embracing outsiders, I believe. (I managed an office out in Coraopolis and one of my staff was involved in some of the organizing in the early years.)

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 08:17 AM   #137
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
The rainbow was never meant to be Hester's A. It's not solely an identifier of gay individuals, but an indication that the person or establishment is a LGBTQ friendly. For businesses, "a safe space". For individuals, "an ally". There are a whole lot of straight people marching in GP parades. Unless you're planning to do the dirty in the middle of Liberty Ave., how does one tell a gay person from a straight person in 2019 (or any other year)?

Pittsburgh Pride has a history of embracing outsiders, I believe. (I managed an office out in Coraopolis and one of my staff was involved in some of the organizing in the early years.)
I don't know why, but it trips me out to think of YOU in Coraopolis, because I've always thought of you as a guy in Thailand. The world is small sometimes (accounting for time, of course).

I suppose I was mostly concerned about offending any acquaintances of mine. I can't go anywhere in Pittsburgh without running into 2-3 people I know, and an event like Pride is guaranteed to be crawling with people I've partied with, lol.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 08:27 AM   #138
wareyin
Philosopher

I don't know why, but it trips me out to think of YOU in Coraopolis, because I've always thought of you as a guy in Thailand. The world is small sometimes (accounting for time, of course).

I suppose I was mostly concerned about offending any acquaintances of mine. I can't go anywhere in Pittsburgh without running into 2-3 people I know, and an event like Pride is guaranteed to be crawling with people I've partied with, lol.
Atlanta (which for some reason has their Pride festival/parade in October) usually has lots of people who aren't gay themselves waving flags. It's a show of support, not trying to co-opt an identity, I think.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 08:36 AM   #139
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

the counter protests signing show tunes and looking fabulous
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 08:38 AM   #140
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Atlanta (which for some reason has their Pride festival/parade in October) usually has lots of people who aren't gay themselves waving flags. It's a show of support, not trying to co-opt an identity, I think.
Well then, I'll be there waving my flag!
Old 7th June 2019, 08:39 AM   #141
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Perhaps Atlanta holds its pride parade in October to avoid the heat of summer. I've been in Atlanta in June when it was 102 degrees. Celsius.
Old 7th June 2019, 08:54 AM   #142
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post

I didn't think Ghettos were supposed to be cripplingly expensive.

It's a very bijou ghetto.
With no parking.
Old 7th June 2019, 08:55 AM   #143
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

The organizers behind Bostonís Straight Pride Parade should concern you
Some of the organizers are close to neo-Nazis and other white supremacists.
Maybe they'll follow Chapman's lead and be too busy dealing with felony charges to follow through on the plan.
Old 7th June 2019, 09:00 AM   #144
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Gay couple beaten up for refusing to kiss for men’s entertainment

Quote:
This horrifying picture shows a flight attendant and her girlfriend covered in blood after a gang of men attacked them when they refused to kiss for them. The apparently homophobic attack happened on a London bus as the couple returned home from an evening out last month.
When was the last time a straight couple was beaten and robbed for refusing to make out to entertain strangers?
Old 7th June 2019, 09:24 AM   #145
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Perhaps Atlanta holds its pride parade in October to avoid the heat of summer. I've been in Atlanta in June when it was 102 degrees. Celsius.
You have clearly been to Atlanta!

But, if they don't host them while it's hot, how can people purposely go see all the hot, sweaty, provocatively dressed performers in order to have an attack of the vapors?

Of course, it's still in the 80s in October, so nobody is in a parka...
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 10:39 AM   #146
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Question

It's not the heat, it's the humidity
Old 7th June 2019, 10:58 AM   #147
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
It's not the heat, it's the humidity
I used to live in Macon. It stops being humidity and counts as underwater once snakes can start swimming in the air.
Old 7th June 2019, 11:02 AM   #148
halleyscomet
Philosopher

I used to live in Macon. It stops being humidity and counts as underwater once snakes can start swimming in the air.
You talking about reptiles, or televangelists in private jets?
Old 7th June 2019, 11:33 AM   #149
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
You talking about reptiles, or televangelists in private jets?
To-may-to, to-mah-to
Old 7th June 2019, 12:14 PM   #150
sadhatter
Philosopher

And all they have to do is act like reasonable mature adults and the odors don't get what they want.

Has no one read the art of war? Simple stuff really.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 03:37 PM   #151
IsThisTheLife
Thinker

It's diabolical.
Old 7th June 2019, 03:54 PM   #152
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
No. Pointing and laughing would be better.
Agreed. I don't like the idea of using violence to surpress speech...even that of Alpha Hotels.
Which is why I don't like Antifa very much, they go over the line to try to shut their opponents down.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 04:01 PM   #153
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Please feel free to make that incredibly stupid mistake if you (or the people doing the "handling" you speak of) wish to.

Don't be deterred by the fact that Massachusetts was the first U.S. state to allow gay marriages, without weaselly half measures like "civil unions." That efforts to reverse that step (which was originally a state supreme court action) were opposed by a strong and vocal majority of the population. That the most recent polls on record indicate 75% to 80% support for gay marriage. (Not including the significant percentage of "no opinion" which is support by default, because tolerance doesn't have to mean active approval, just unwillingness to actively oppose.) That a recent statewide ballot initiative to roll back recently established trans rights was rejected by huge margins of the voting public. And that those statewide figures underestimate the level of support for LGBQ+ rights in Boston, which like most large urban centers is considerably more progressive than the state overall.

If you wanted to send the message that these protestors are Nazis and do not enjoy popular support in Boston, then you'd do nothing and let their action, if it happens at all, be pathetically minor and mocked by the Boston general public that happens to be around.

But if you want to send the message that straight people have no right to pride or identity, and that tolerance for different views only flows one way, by all means, "handle" it as you will. Everyone loves a good riot.
Boston: a history of standing up for liberty going back to the 1770's...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 04:12 PM   #154
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Boston: a history of standing up for liberty going back to the 1770's...

Well, it goes back that far, but of course there are some unfortunate gaps in that history too; a decade or two here, a century there...
Old 7th June 2019, 10:11 PM   #155
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Gay couple beaten up for refusing to kiss for menís entertainment

When was the last time a straight couple was beaten and robbed for refusing to make out to entertain strangers?
I've heard of guys that harass lesbians in bars trying to get them to make out for their own edification but this is just another step down into the sewer of awful.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 10:17 PM   #156
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Gay couple beaten up for refusing to kiss for menís entertainment

When was the last time a gay couple were?

It is a horrible act by a bunch of teenage thugs, but it is extremely rare if you are going by your criteria
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayís Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2019, 06:26 PM   #157
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
When was the last time a gay couple were?

It is a horrible act by a bunch of teenage thugs, but it is extremely rare if you are going by your criteria
How on earth would YOU know what's rare and not rare? Argument from assertion.

Meanwhile, after getting threatened with a lawsuit by Brad Pitt for using his image as the quintessential "straight guy", they've taken on the straightest spokesperson they could locate, Despicable Milo.

Let there be no doubt, this is a trolling operation.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2019, 06:32 PM   #158
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
Yer don't say? Duh, I never woulda thunk it. Jeenius!

FFS, that's implicitly understood by everyone who can tie their own shoelaces, has been for decades.
No, it isn't.

Quote:
What they are (pride marches) is a bunch of weirdos
'Weird' is pretty subjective. I've seen plenty of weirdness in pride parades (in photos, never actually been to one since, straight), but then plenty of weirdness outside of them, too.

Quote:
who now enjoy the complete protection of the state and law enforcement as they get in people's faces with extremely revealing and provocative clothing while simulating sex (once called 'obscene') acts in organised public events, which people can criticise or object to at their peril.
Lol, such terrible peril.

Quote:
They are a demonstration of political power.
All parades are.
Old 8th June 2019, 07:13 PM   #159
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
How on earth would YOU know what's rare and not rare? Argument from assertion.

Meanwhile, after getting threatened with a lawsuit by Brad Pitt for using his image as the quintessential "straight guy", they've taken on the straightest spokesperson they could locate, Despicable Milo.

Let there be no doubt, this is a trolling operation.
What?

How on earth does the other poster know no straight people have had it?

Or does your point only apply to me?

Old 8th June 2019, 07:16 PM   #160
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Reportedly, Milo has been chosen to be the marshal of the straight-pride parade, effectively confirming that it is just an alt-right parade pretending to be something else.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events