ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Andrew Bolt , autism , environmental activists , Greta Thunberg

Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM   #1921
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Ah yes, another of your typically reasoned responses.
you are welcome!!!!!
Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM   #1922
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
Anybody seen any updates on Thunberg's itinerary ? She's got 6 weeks to make it to Santiago and at the rate she's going she's going to have a tough time making it.

My guess is that she's going to spend her time in the US and Canada, maybe a bit in Mexico City then book it straight through Central and South America to avoid having to tell all those poor brown people that they're doing it wrong.

Hope I'm wrong, seeing how this is a global problem.
Well it is going to affect the poorest first and more and indeed already is.

And the richest can have the biggest effect by changing their lifestyle.

India might be producing a lot of CO2 but it is still a bit harsh to suggest that the second largest country in the world in terms of population should make it harder to get fridges, when their per-capita emissions are far lower than the West.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM   #1923
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The irony is that for most Indians, their best hope for a better tomorrow is for India to ramp up their per capita emissions as soon as possible; but at the same time their best hope for the destruction of human civilization is exactly the same. Likewise in China.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM   #1924
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It also occurs to me that one way to resolve the per capita disparity would be to move lots of Indians and Chinese to the US (buying carbon credits to cover the transportation, of course). As long as the US doesn't build out any additional infrastructure, or develop any additional economic capacity to support these people, that would even out the per capita emissions across the globe quite nicely.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM   #1925
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
This sounds like normal protest dispute stuff. I wonder what the actual dispute is about, and if Greta knows what it is.
I imagine she's as capable as anyone, even you, of reading about it and finding out what it's about.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM   #1926
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
I imagine she's as capable as anyone, even you, of reading about it and finding out what it's about.
Probably. It's not my burden of proof, though.

ETA: I mean, do you want me to look into it? What if it turns out that Extinction Rebellion is in an ongoing fight with London police over their persistence in violating the city's rules for legal protests, and that Greta Thunberg is talking out her ass?

Last edited by theprestige; Yesterday at 12:20 PM.
Old Today, 12:58 AM   #1927
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Probably. It's not my burden of proof, though.

ETA: I mean, do you want me to look into it? What if it turns out that Extinction Rebellion is in an ongoing fight with London police over their persistence in violating the city's rules for legal protests, and that Greta Thunberg is talking out her ass?
Well, she is (ostensibly anyway) the subject of the thread.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events