ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th October 2018, 01:42 PM   #41
fagin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CptColumbo View Post
I thought I heard that they also had lip readers try to recreate what the men are saying in the films.
Somewhere up there...

Originally Posted by fagin View Post

They also used lip readers to work out what soldiers in the footage were saying.

Old 19th October 2018, 01:45 PM   #42
CptColumbo
Just One More Question

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Somewhere up there...
Sorry, just too lazy to read all the post completely.
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices to be only found in the minds of men. Prejudices and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own.--Rod Serling
CptColumbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2018, 04:47 PM   #43
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Intereseting.
But come on Peter, do that new version of "THe Dam Busters" you are always talking about doing,.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2018, 05:14 PM   #44
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Intereseting.
But come on Peter, do that new version of "THe Dam Busters" you are always talking about doing,.
Sadly the funding fell through and it looks like it's not going to happen, at least in the short term. They do have a lot of props and things for it, so perhaps if someone is willing to fund it, it might happen in the future.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2018, 01:55 AM   #45
ohms
Graduate Poster

For those in the UK, it's on BBC2 at 9:30pm on 11th November.
Old 1st November 2018, 02:31 AM   #46
Tolls
Illuminator

Hopefully it'll then be on iPlayer as 9.30 is a bit late on a Sunday.
Tolls is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2018, 03:37 AM   #47
ohms
Graduate Poster

It was co-commissioned by the BBC so you'd think it would be on iPlayer afterwards. There's also a behind the scenes documentary on the 12th on BBC4.
Old 1st November 2018, 03:55 AM   #48
Fizil
Muse

They have done an amazing job, but I have to say you can still tell it was colorized, rather than originally filmed in color. I don't know how to describe it, but there is just something slightly "off" when watching colorized films. I think the biggest giveaway with this colorization is the people. Something about the coloring of the skin tones just feels unreal somehow, like everyone is wearing makeup.
Fizil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2018, 04:34 AM   #49
Worm
Master Poster

iPlayer are pretty good about including films, but it often comes down to the copyright holders, and some can be awkward. I would have thought this would be ok though.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 10:37 PM   #50
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Cool

Been nominated for a BAFTA

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertain...ectid=12188091
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 08:44 PM   #51
dropzone
Master Poster

Acquired by alternative means. Wow. And the voices were "real," too. Wow.
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 08:55 PM   #52
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
...?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 09:28 PM   #53
dropzone
Master Poster

Decades ago the Beeb realized the Tommies were dying off so they had a big project recording their oral history.
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 10:23 PM   #54
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

AMAZING!!!!!
Old 21st January 2019, 09:22 AM   #55
kedo1981
Master Poster

Well played Mister Jackson, well played
Can't wait to see the Docu

I've been a digital video editor from the very beginnings of the concept, but I'm always in awe of how film will retain the information on it for so long, allowing it to be restored. Digital ain't gone-a be like that, DVDs and CDs do degrade.
kedo1981 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 06:22 AM   #56
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Saw it here in the US when it was screened again on a special one night only release. I found it very affecting. I have seen WWI footage in the past, but the quality issues, especially the frame rate issues, made it seem unreal. The corrected and restored footage was really something special.

I stuck around after the credits for Jackson's "making of" video that explain some of the technical work done. Seems that they have lots and lots of footage that they restored, but ultimately didn't use in order to keep the scope of the film focused (which seems a wise decision). I would hope that it is included in a home release.

To my American ear, some of the voices were a bit hard to make sense of. Given that many of them were elderly when recorded, and some had quite thick accents, this is to be expected. I imagine a brit wouldn't have this problem. If it were watching at home, I would probably opt for subtitles at some points.

I thought Jackson's solution to having no footage of actual intense hand-to-hand fighting pretty good, considering the lack of better options.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 22nd January 2019 at 06:23 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 06:46 AM   #57
Worm
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
...?
Some of the narration was interviews from archives. Not directly linked to the images, but picked to be relevant.

Some of the voices from the actual films were re-created. The original films didn't record sound, but they got lip-readers to create scripts and used actors to put voices to the images.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness

Last edited by Worm; 22nd January 2019 at 06:47 AM.
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 07:02 AM   #58
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Not just actors, but actors from the same region of the UK as the unit of the soldier speaking was recruited from (British/Commonwealth units being local in a lot of cases). It's likely as close as we're going to get to hearing the voices of these men speak.

It was fascinating watching this movie last night - my wife was struck by how young many of them were - I was struck by the utter familiarity of the routine of soldiering and the ways the men described it. And in another 100 years, someone's going to remark on how little soldiering has changed.
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:00 AM   #59
Drewbot
Philosopher

I saw it last night.
Amazing.

Most striking was the proximity of enemy lines (3d allowed some reference), and the makeup of the trenches. Not just a grey dirt, but a black, watery, mossy, debris laden disgusting trench.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2019, 01:07 PM   #60
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
I saw it last night.
Amazing.

Most striking was the proximity of enemy lines (3d allowed some reference), and the makeup of the trenches. Not just a grey dirt, but a black, watery, mossy, debris laden disgusting trench.
Goodbye to all That by Robert Graves rammed that home to me too.

He was an officer in two regiments, one, The Royal Welch was a first-class regiment and aimed to dominate no-man's land. The other was a bantam regiment and didn't.

He describes in the first sighting a rifle at a German who was washing and not being being able to shoot an oblivious person, so he gave the rifle to his sergeant.

Utterly horrific.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 03:36 AM   #61
Henri McPhee
Illuminator

I saw that documentary on BBC 2 a couple of evenings ago and found it very interesting. It seems to have been partly financed by something like the New Zealand Film Corporation. There were lots and lots of clips in colour of life at the front and trenches, and even battlefield, which I have never seen before.

The commentary was mainly taken from oral records of the soldiers themselves taken from the national archives when they were relatively young, which is a bit unusual nowadays. They seemed to think the war was something to do with the Balkans and then suddenly war was declared. Many of them were happy to join up to escape from boring jobs and join their local County regiments like the Buckinghamshire Regiment, or Worcestershire Regiment.

It could be that the horrors of that war have been censored in the past, and the emotional strain, and the soldiers themselves never talked about it. It ended with one soldier saying they felt that they had been made redundant when the war ended, and then they returned to mass unemployment where they were not welcomed by employers. The general population who were never in France or Belgium were out of touch with reality, which is a bit like now. They had to talk to mothers about their sons being killed who were very bitter about it. One soldier said he thinks war is horrible, which applies nowadays.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 11:07 AM   #62
Hubert Cumberdale
Graduate Poster

Decades ago the Beeb realized the Tommies were dying off so they had a big project recording their oral history.
I think that was actually the Imperial War Museum. Peter Hart made a career out of interviewing veterans and is probably the foremost oral historian of the war.

Highly recommend checking out his new book 'The Last Battle'
Hubert Cumberdale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 07:51 AM   #63
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
I saw that documentary on BBC 2 a couple of evenings ago and found it very interesting. It seems to have been partly financed by something like the New Zealand Film Corporation. There were lots and lots of clips in colour of life at the front and trenches, and even battlefield, which I have never seen before.
You are aware that these are the black and white footage which has been restored and coloured?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 08:09 AM   #64
Drewbot
Philosopher

Yes.
Supposedly his research team matched colors with fabric, paints etc... to get as close to what it would have looked like as possible.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 02:40 PM   #65
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Yes.
Supposedly his research team matched colors with fabric, paints etc... to get as close to what it would have looked like as possible.
There was a half hour "making of" feature at the end when I saw it.

They explained how they did the colour matching, using actual equipment from the era where possible to get the right sounds, getting actors from the same area in The UK where the troops filmed were raised to get the accents right.

It really was indicative of the level of effort that was put into this. I'm going to have to pick this up when it comes out
Old 6th February 2019, 07:09 AM   #66
Parsman
Muse

Out in the UK now, bought it on Blue Ray and it was well worth it.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 11:15 AM   #67
Henri McPhee
Illuminator

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
You are aware that these are the black and white footage which has been restored and coloured?
Yes. It has been discussed on this thread. In the old days much of the 1914-18 film clips were shown on TV like an old Charlie Chaplin comedy film or keystone cops with everybody rushing about as though they had ants in their pants. I think that is because the film was originally shot at 16 frames a second and shown on TV at 25 frames a second. In recent years there have been techniques to slow that film down and make it more compatible and realistic on TV. This adding of colour is a relatively new development though it was originally tried in the early days of film but never caught on for some reason. It works in my opinion and brings the whole thing to life. I would have thought it could be tried with much of the second world war footage, like in the North Africa battles and battles in Russia. It's of historical importance.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 03:12 AM   #68
Henri McPhee
Illuminator

There is a discussion about the varying film speeds as they apply to the 1914-18 war at this website:

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/questio...X&guccounter=1

Quote:
Best Answer: The original films were shot at all sorts of varying speeds. The earliest cameras were hand turned and that could lead to all sorts of effects. The more slowly you turned the camera when recording an image the more jerky it would look when projected at a standard speed. There is no reason that the film can't be "smoothed out ". In the series on the first world war an extra frame was inserted after every two, making 16 frames a second into 24 which is the standard sound projection speed. Speeded up the comical jerky effect would have ruined the seriousness of the subject.

Last edited by Henri McPhee; 7th February 2019 at 03:13 AM.
Old 7th February 2019, 08:23 AM   #69
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
Yes. It has been discussed on this thread.
Well, that was my point; the way you said it implied you thought it was new information.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 01:00 PM   #70
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Hopefully others will be able to take the techniques developed by Peter Jackson and his team, and apply it to some of the other footage out there. It doesn't have to be the whole hog (ie. getting voice actors with the correct accents for a given unit), but fixing the hand-cranked look of most footage from the era would go a very long way.

For starters, imagine if the technique was applied to the 1916 propaganda film "The Battle of the Somme". I recall seeing a documentary that delved a bit into it, including trying to find out who the Tommy carrying a wounded soldier through the trenches was.

Last edited by KDLarsen; 7th February 2019 at 01:02 PM.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 04:12 PM   #71
grmcdorman
Graduate Poster

If you watched the post-credits "making-of" mini documentary, Jackson comments that the speeds were all over the place, and they basically hand-tuned each segment. They show examples of sequences at +1, 0, and -1 FPS to illustrate how easy it is to tell when the speed is wrong.
Old 8th February 2019, 05:40 PM   #72
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
Hopefully others will be able to take the techniques developed by Peter Jackson and his team, and apply it to some of the other footage out there. It doesn't have to be the whole hog (ie. getting voice actors with the correct accents for a given unit), but fixing the hand-cranked look of most footage from the era would go a very long way.

For starters, imagine if the technique was applied to the 1916 propaganda film "The Battle of the Somme". I recall seeing a documentary that delved a bit into it, including trying to find out who the Tommy carrying a wounded soldier through the trenches was.
I can only see it being done worse. Very few will have the money and tech to do what Jackson did. I even see now a lot of the "Ken Burns" effect not done very well. There's also a new trend to separate the foreground from the background and give the characters a little bit of motion or 3D mapping. That's an alteration, not a restoration.
Old 10th February 2019, 11:45 AM   #73
Hans
Philosopher

Saw it last night very good treatment of the subject - to short as I would like to have seen the aerial material restored also. As an old artilleryman I enjoyed the piece were a BL 8-inch howitzer Mk VI is firing and knocking shingles off a nearby house.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 05:09 AM   #74
Tolls
Illuminator

I'm sure it's been said that they restored a lot more footage than appeared in the film.
Something on the order of 100 hours?
I get the impression he got a bit carried away.
Tolls is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 06:10 AM   #75
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I can only see it being done worse. Very few will have the money and tech to do what Jackson did. I even see now a lot of the "Ken Burns" effect not done very well. There's also a new trend to separate the foreground from the background and give the characters a little bit of motion or 3D mapping. That's an alteration, not a restoration.
Typically the first attempt at new film technology is the most expensive. they will sell the ideas, or people will hire the people from the original studio, and it will propogate and become less expensive.

This is why they can do things like WW2 In Color season after season.

30 years ago colorized videos were few and far between.
Old 12th February 2019, 08:04 AM   #76
Hans
Philosopher

Typically the first attempt at new film technology is the most expensive. they will sell the ideas, or people will hire the people from the original studio, and it will propogate and become less expensive.

This is why they can do things like WW2 In Color season after season.

30 years ago colorized videos were few and far between.
Yes hopefully in a generation or so all the old WWI film will be restored - perhaps not to the level Jackson did but colorized, speed and image corrected.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 10:20 AM   #77
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
I'm sure it's been said that they restored a lot more footage than appeared in the film.
Something on the order of 100 hours?
I get the impression he got a bit carried away.
Think the point of the preject was to restore a large amount for the war museum for historical record and the documentary followed this as a separate project idea. (Every school in the UK was given a copy as an educational tool).

Not the other way round.

Then when it became obvious a lot of people might want to see it outside visitors, students etc they did a small release in theaters, then it grew from there.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 06:42 AM   #78
Bob001
Philosopher

This is now in wide release in the U.S. The reviews are raves.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/31/m...ld-review.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/going...=.42f22e62fe11
https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/...review-783310/
https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/...y-astonishing/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 10:24 AM   #79
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
The end of the movie at the credits has an particularly good rendition of a WWI song - and as Jackson noted he wanted the song with British accents and being in NZ he had to ask the UK embassy to provide the assortment of accents needed to give the song that 'British tone' to non-professional singers singing.
Old 20th February 2019, 01:11 PM   #80
fagin
Philosopher

IMO it's success is due to a labour of love, well executed.

Simple but vital combination.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts