IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags flat earth , science education , science education issues

Old 31st March 2018, 09:02 PM   #1
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Lightbulb One of the Most Common Flaws in All Earth Science Books

On a recent flight to Los Angeles, I was able to take the nice photo of the world outside the window, as attached. Notice that, even from this high up, the land does NOT appear to be curved? Well, I got to thinking that this OBVIOUS lack of curvature is a signature problem in all photos taken from the sky, and those with curvature of the atmosphere are often due more to lens distortion, than to the actual shape of the Earth.

Now, I am NOT suggesting that the Earth is entirely flat, of course. It could be a sort-of lumpy, semi-curved type of disc, because of all of its mountains and stuff. But, the mainstream idea that it is "almost perfectly spherical" is obviously seriously flawed!! And yet, even today, as we enter the second quarter of 2018, we still see plenty of books that try to explain the older view, from back in the Galilean era. Also attached is a photo of a small pile of such science books in my own collection.

This is probably one of the most common flaws found in a LOT of so-called "science" books about the planet Earth. Perhaps the authors are often sincere in wanted to portray this belief, and don't know any better: I DOUBT it is all a vast conspiracy from some central cabal of nefarious rulers, or anything like that. But, perhaps we can discuss ways to communicate alternative, better, and more obviously correct models of the planet, to more of these folks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AirPhoto-ForumPost.jpg (45.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg EarthBooks-ForumPost.jpg (84.3 KB, 16 views)

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2018, 10:50 PM   #2
Lukraak_Sisser
Philosopher

I'm not sure what you are getting at.
Most science books I've read acknowledge that the earth is an obloid shape.
As for it's lumpyness, the Radius of earth is about 6000 km, Mt everest is about 11km, which is a distortion of less than 1 precent for the highest mountain range. All others are therefore less. That's pretty smooth.
And yes, the curvature is hard to see because earth is quite big, so up close, even in an airplane, this is difficult. Not impossible though.

What model would you suggest in books then?
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2018, 10:56 PM   #3
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

From the moo, it looks darn round.
The molten iron core is almost perfectly round.
Who cares about the shape of the frothy stony bits on the thin top layer?

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 31st March 2018 at 10:58 PM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2018, 11:10 PM   #4
rdaneel
Illuminator

So if the Earth is a semi curved lumpy disk, does that mean it's spinning like a coin on it's edge?
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2018, 12:15 AM   #5
sphenisc
Philosopher

All proof I reckon would be difficult for you to provide. Is the lens distortion due to it being 1:4?
Old 1st April 2018, 12:21 AM   #6
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
............perhaps we can discuss ways to communicate alternative, better, and more obviously correct models of the planet, to more of these folks.
And what, pray tell, may those be?
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2018, 12:34 AM   #7
fagin
Philosopher

One of these?

Old 1st April 2018, 01:03 AM   #8
Lothian
should be banned

I think it is the specific nature of the Gregorian system that we see today that causes this strange effect to occur. I fail to see how others don't get it.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2018, 01:06 AM   #9
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I'm in my 60s.

I learned that the Earth was NOT perfectly spherical in science class; that its diameter is slightly greater at the equator than at the poles, i.e. an oblate spheroid.... we learned that at Intermediate School in Form 1 (what Americans would call 6th grade).

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2018, 01:20 AM   #10
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
Is the lens distortion due to it being 1:4?
I'm guessing our infinitely prolonged OP did have something like that in mind.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2018, 02:39 AM   #11
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
On a recent flight to Los Angeles, I was able to take the nice photo of the world outside the window, as attached. Notice that, even from this high up, the land does NOT appear to be curved? Well, I got to thinking that this OBVIOUS lack of curvature is a signature problem in all photos taken from the sky, and those with curvature of the atmosphere are often due more to lens distortion, than to the actual shape of the Earth.

Now, I am NOT suggesting that the Earth is entirely flat, of course. It could be a sort-of lumpy, semi-curved type of disc, because of all of its mountains and stuff. But, the mainstream idea that it is "almost perfectly spherical" is obviously seriously flawed!! And yet, even today, as we enter the second quarter of 2018, we still see plenty of books that try to explain the older view, from back in the Galilean era. Also attached is a photo of a small pile of such science books in my own collection.

This is probably one of the most common flaws found in a LOT of so-called "science" books about the planet Earth. Perhaps the authors are often sincere in wanted to portray this belief, and don't know any better: I DOUBT it is all a vast conspiracy from some central cabal of nefarious rulers, or anything like that. But, perhaps we can discuss ways to communicate alternative, better, and more obviously correct models of the planet, to more of these folks.
I will assume you are just joking/trolling, but on the shape of Earth:

If we must absolutely nitpick, Earth is a knobby oblate shape, but let's have some perspective:

If you were to construct a perfect scale model of Earth the size of a snooker ball, it would be both rounder and smoother than a competition-class snooker ball.

So apart from those inclined to compulsive hair-splitting, the rest of us can safely refer to the shape of the Earth as 'a sphere'.

Hans
Old 1st April 2018, 03:29 AM   #12
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Erm, check the date guys and gals!
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2018, 04:24 AM   #13
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Wowbagger bags another one.
Old 1st April 2018, 05:00 AM   #14
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
That's what the cow said.
Old 1st April 2018, 06:39 AM   #15
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
Most science books I've read acknowledge that the earth is an obloid shape.
They will say it is an "oblate spheroid", but that it is also very close to being a perfect sphere. The oblateness isn't very much.

And yes, the curvature is hard to see because earth is quite big, so up close, even in an airplane, this is difficult. Not impossible though.
You can see curvature in anything, if you try hard enough. Last night, I saw the matzos in a stack were slightly curved, even though we know they are supposed to be flat. That doesn't mean they are obolid!

...Unless they are matzoh balls, then they would be, I guess.

What model would you suggest in books then?
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
And what, pray tell, may those be?
I happen to like animals. Perhaps we should find out if the Earth is sitting on top of any of them, such as elephants and turtles. Or maybe rabbit rabbits!

Just kidding!

We should have the books be open to changing ideas about the nature of Earth, is all.

Did you mean "moon", or perhaps the cow that was jumping over it?

I think that is a bad attitude. Book authors SHOULD care!

I am TIRED of all of these people getting tricked by this!

Originally Posted by rdaneel View Post
So if the Earth is a semi curved lumpy disk, does that mean it's spinning like a coin on it's edge?
Could be spinning like that in space, yes. Perhaps God flipped the Earth like a coin, Himself. And, the planet is falling towards the Universal Floor*, which we will eventually hit. And, whichever side is on top determines which team will receive the kickoff in the Universal Super Bowl!

*There has to be one! If gravity is a Universal Force, and it is the force that pulls things to the ground, then that implies that there MUST be a Universal Ground that everything in the Universe is falling towards.

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
All proof I reckon would be difficult for you to provide. Is the lens distortion due to it being 1:4?
Ah, yes! That could be it! 1:4 or 4:1 (in the U.S.) distortion seems to effect a LOT of things, today! I think that if we look at the media through such a lens, a LOT of things tend to make much less sense.

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
I think it is the specific nature of the Gregorian system that we see today that causes this strange effect to occur. I fail to see how others don't get it.
The Gregorian calendar system was built with certain assumptions about the shape of the Earth, that might have changed a bit over time, but we still use it today. Though, we have added certain features to it, to accommodate certain cultural phenomena. So, yes, that could be it, as well!

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I learned that the Earth was NOT perfectly spherical in science class; that its diameter is slightly greater at the equator than at the poles, i.e. an oblate spheroid.... we learned that at Intermediate School in Form 1 (what Americans would call 6th grade).
Well, that's a start!

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
So apart from those inclined to compulsive hair-splitting, the rest of us can safely refer to the shape of the Earth as 'a sphere'.
You seem awfully confident about that one.

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Wowbagger bags another one.
All I want is to keep people skeptical!

Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2018, 08:46 AM   #16
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

No worries. We will always be skeptical of you.

Hans
Old 1st April 2018, 03:04 PM   #17
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

APRIL FOOLS!!

For the record, I do accept that the Earth is an oblate spheroid.

Did anyone spot the Dan Brown novel hidden among the science books? Because that was supposed to be part of the joke.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Wowbagger; 1st April 2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 1st April 2018, 03:10 PM   #18
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
That's what the cow said....
... as she jumped over it?

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2018, 04:46 PM   #19
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The Earth may not be a perfect sphere any more, but it's not her fault. It's middle aged spread. The metabolism slows down, you know. It's not that she isn't trying! And she's still pretty, right? As attractive as when you evolved? You're not answering! Why did you hesitate? OH MY GOD, THERE'S A SPACE PROGRAM! You're thinking of leaving Earth!!! Well, go ahead then, go! You'll never find as good out there, no way. No other planet would put up with you, you big jerks! Earth will be just fine without you!!
Old 2nd April 2018, 07:56 PM   #20
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Those of us who live there, mostly.
Old 2nd April 2018, 10:04 PM   #21
Dabop
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
The Earth may not be a perfect sphere any more, but it's not her fault. It's middle aged spread. The metabolism slows down, you know. It's not that she isn't trying! And she's still pretty, right? As attractive as when you evolved? You're not answering! Why did you hesitate? OH MY GOD, THERE'S A SPACE PROGRAM! You're thinking of leaving Earth!!! Well, go ahead then, go! You'll never find as good out there, no way. No other planet would put up with you, you big jerks! Earth will be just fine without you!!
Do my oceans look big in these jeans???

LOL that actually did make me LOL TragicMonkey

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2018, 10:17 PM   #22
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
So, the Earth is going through menopause, and climate change is just hot flashes? From experience, maybe we should leave her alone.
Old 6th April 2018, 08:20 AM   #23
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

I knew it was a joke because he didn't include a link to a 45-minute youtube power point slide video.
Old 6th April 2018, 01:50 PM   #24
acementhead
Thinker

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I'm in my 60s.

Wrong

But nice. 1st April 2018, 08:06 PM

I think that I inherited the auditor gene. On which note could people please stop rendering the singular possesive pronoun "its" as it's. It is very irritating(and makes the perp appear incurious*).

ETA * Or blindish, as am I.

Last edited by acementhead; 6th April 2018 at 01:54 PM.
acementhead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education