IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags alex jones , lawsuits , Sandy Hook , shooting conspiracies

Old 17th November 2021, 02:45 PM   #521
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The first set of lawyers did.
So he fired them.

The second set of lawyers did.
So he fired them.

You see a pattern.

Yep, and we've seen it before, from others, haven't we?

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2021, 03:24 PM   #522
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
As my sister who is a praticing attoney says, the best lawyer in the world won't help you if you ignore his or her advice. Stupid clients rejecting advice is a major headache that almost all attorneys encounter many times in their career.
Yep.

An attorney's job is to win the court case or, if that's just not possible, to ensure the least bad of all possible losing outcomes for their client, in terms of things like money, personal freedom, reputation and future potential opportunity, etc. They are utilitarian rational actors, usually.

But their clients aren't always rational actors. People like Jones and a certain other famous person we can name, are perfectly willing to accept an objectively worse outcome if the acontextual fact that they refused to cooperate with the judicial process is met with cheers of approval from their audience.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2021, 03:27 PM   #523
catsmate
No longer the 1

I'm reminded of Ye Olde Days when those guilty of obscene libel were locked in the stocks for the public to demonstrate their odium.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2022, 04:33 PM   #524
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Judge Rules Alex Jones in Contempt of Court

... for failing to show up to two full days of depositions, and has now fined him $50,000 per day for every day he fails to show up. Judge Barbara Bellis has set an April 15 deadline for him to show up for depositions.

https://www.courant.com/news/connect...t5q-story.html
However, should Jones not comply with the April 15 deadline, Bellis said she would consider an order that would preclude Jones from presenting the jury any evidence in his favor, as well as instructing jurors that they should hold Jones’ refusal to be deposed against him. Finally, Bellis said she is inclined to order Jones to pay the victims’ lawyers $40,000 to cover costs associated with their trip to Texas last week for the deposition that did not take place.

Keep digging Alex!!

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2022, 04:53 PM   #525
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I expect his lawyers will get paid. Perhaps less than they billed, but more than they actually expected. The plaintiffs? They'll never see a dime. But they weren't in it for the money, unlike what Jones said about them.
They weren't in it for the money, but they should be dividing his net worth between them as we speak, if justice was the priority.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2022, 06:35 PM   #526
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
I'm reminded of Ye Olde Days when those guilty of obscene libel were locked in the stocks for the public to demonstrate their odium.
Isn't that now called "Infowars"?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 04:29 AM   #527
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
... for failing to show up to two full days of depositions, and has now fined him $50,000 per day for every day he fails to show up. Judge Barbara Bellis has set an April 15 deadline for him to show up for depositions.

https://www.courant.com/news/connect...t5q-story.html
However, should Jones not comply with the April 15 deadline, Bellis said she would consider an order that would preclude Jones from presenting the jury any evidence in his favor, as well as instructing jurors that they should hold Jones’ refusal to be deposed against him. Finally, Bellis said she is inclined to order Jones to pay the victims’ lawyers $40,000 to cover costs associated with their trip to Texas last week for the deposition that did not take place.

Keep digging Alex!!
I honestly suspect it might be better for Jones to just default out of this thing. Maybe this is the price he's willing to pay to not have his business practices publicly examined. Or maybe it is just an ego thing. It must be hard to get nailed down to the truth after spending a lifetime peddling lies.

Either way he's going to play the martyr and his audience is going to lap it up. So long as he has his audience, he'll always find a way to make money.

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
People like Jones and a certain other famous person we can name, are perfectly willing to accept an objectively worse outcome if the acontextual fact that they refused to cooperate with the judicial process is met with cheers of approval from their audience.
Alex Jones is already spinning his defaults as the courts refusing to let him speak. This kind of tactic definitely resonates with the conspiratorial right. It smacks of sov-cit tactics, refusing to participate in the system until finally the hammer comes down, then playing the victim.

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 31st March 2022 at 04:32 AM.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2022, 04:37 PM   #528
Lerxst
Muse

Looks like he finally showed up:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...wsuit-83910288

Quote:
Infowars host and conspiracy theorist Alex Jones has traveled to Connecticut to appear at a deposition in a lawsuit over his calling the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting a hoax
Lerxst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2022, 12:52 AM   #529
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
Pity, I'd have liked him to wait a week as it was starting at $25k per day increasing at $25k per day

I see he's still being vile - I hope this is considered contempt of court as well
Quote:
The families’ lawyer, Christopher Mattei, said Jones has declared his “entire deposition confidential even while he and his attorney conduct media interviews discussing the details.”

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2022, 04:49 AM   #530
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
can't wait for the knowledge fight podcast episode. They've been covering the depositions of InfoWars employees in some detail, including an interview with the attorney taking the deposition. They've been quite entertaining. It's really odd to see these conspiracy peddlers be put into a situation where they aren't in control and can get nailed down to explain themselves rather than rapid firing nonsense.

One guy cried during the deposition.
Old 7th April 2022, 08:03 AM   #531
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
One guy cried during the deposition.
If I was working for Alex Jones I bet I'd routinely cry.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2022, 01:34 PM   #532
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Pity, I'd have liked him to wait a week as it was starting at $25k per day increasing at $25k per day.
I was under the impression the fine would double each workday. 25K the first day, 50K the second, 100K the third, 200K the fourth and so on.
Old 7th April 2022, 04:23 PM   #533
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I was under the impression the fine would double each workday. 25K the first day, 50K the second, 100K the third, 200K the fourth and so on.
At that rate, it wouldn't be long before he owed all the money in the universe.

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2022, 09:49 PM   #534
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
It would increase with 25K each day.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events