IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags alex jones , lawsuits , Sandy Hook , shooting conspiracies

Old 18th April 2018, 05:13 AM   #1
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Sandy Hook parents sue Alex Jones for defamation

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43799449

I hope the bastard gets taken to the cleaners

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2018, 10:55 AM   #2
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

Same here - with a sauce of sandpapering on the sides and back and front until he verbally admits his foulness.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2018, 02:58 PM   #3
Tinfoil Hater
Graduate Poster

Alex Jones is a absolute scumbag. If he believes the conspiracy, he's mentally ill. If its just for ratings he's callously using people who are suffering and causing them more suffering
Old 18th April 2018, 03:17 PM   #4
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

I would love to see it, but defamation is hard to prove in a US Courtroom,and Jones could probably wriggle out of it legally. Even if a jury awards damages, Jones could probably find some freedom of speech gimmick to cause the verdict to be overturned on appeal.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2018, 03:17 PM   #5
tinribmancer
Hasbarian NWO Templar Cattle

Could this finally be the beginning of the end for him and his lame-o-wars?

"And belief in conspiracy theories is not the function of a higher intellect." - BStrong
tinribmancer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2018, 10:56 AM   #6
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Sandy Hook parents sue Alex Jones

Parents of Sandy Hook victims, fed up with Alex Jones' lying about them, have filed suit for $1,000,000+.
Quote:
Three parents whose children were killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012 filed a defamation lawsuit on Tuesday against Alex Jones, the right-wing conspiracy theorist who has long claimed the shooting was “completely fake” and a “giant hoax” perpetrated by opponents of the Second Amendment.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/17/b...andy-hook.html

Sounds like they're letting him off cheap. Maybe start at $100 million and negotiate down?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2018, 11:18 AM   #7
baron

Can you sue someone for being a moronic lunatic?
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2018, 11:38 AM   #8
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Originally Posted by baron View Post
If they defame you, why not?
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2018, 11:50 AM   #9
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Please tell me you don't honestly think that's what this.
Old 19th April 2018, 11:51 AM   #10
Mumbles
Philosopher

Good.

Seriously, Jones' false conspiracy crap was a large part of his idiot listeners hounding these people, sending them death threats, and other real-world nightmares. I'd be perfectly happy if they put him out of business for good.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2018, 12:05 PM   #11
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Good. Hope it works for the parents.
Old 19th April 2018, 12:09 PM   #12
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

I thought 'free speech' was enshrined in the US constitution, so they might find it difficult to win on the grounds of defamation. It sounds more like stalking and harassment.

~ Danzig

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2018, 12:11 PM   #13
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

Best of luck to them.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2018, 12:13 PM   #14
TJM
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Blinky hasn’t anything to worry about. All he has to do is prove the hoax. Should be a slam dunk, right?
Old 19th April 2018, 12:24 PM   #15
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I thought 'free speech' was enshrined in the US constitution, so they might find it difficult to win on the grounds of defamation. It sounds more like stalking and harassment.
And I thought defamation was still a legal tort and that, if proven in court, the 1st amendment has nothing to do with it (it is).

Like the other rights "enshrined" in the [amended] Constitution, freedom of speech is not absolute.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2018, 12:27 PM   #16
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

You hold a common misperception of the concept of "free speech." The First Amendment means that the government can't prevent you from expressing your beliefs or punish you for it afterward. It doesn't mean you can say anything you want without consequences. It does not prevent prosecution for crimes when speech leads to action, like inciting to riot or obstruction of justice, nor does it prevent civil action when speech injures someone. In this case, the plaintiffs claim they were injured by the defendant's speech, and now they get to take it to a jury.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2018, 12:45 PM   #17
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
Blinky hasn’t anything to worry about. All he has to do is prove the hoax. Should be a slam dunk, right?
I thought that they would have to demonstrate that Jones knew his allegations were false in order to claim damages. At the very least, it would have to be demonstrated that Jones had no foundation for these allegations or had no "reasonable" belief.

Either way, it is another field day for the lawyers.
Old 19th April 2018, 12:59 PM   #18
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
I thought that they would have to demonstrate that Jones knew his allegations were false in order to claim damages. At the very least, it would have to be demonstrated that Jones had no foundation for these allegations or had no "reasonable" belief.

Given the demonstrable effects (ongoing harassment and threats) of these claims on the parents, the onus will be on him to show that he had a reasonable basis for them, a very difficult prospect. It seems to me that the more difficult part will be proving to the court that it was his claims that led to the harassment. It should be doable since AFAIK his was the loudest voice calling Sandy Hook a hoax, but I don't know if he originated the claim or just jumped into the driver's seat of an existing CT bandwagon.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2018, 01:05 PM   #19
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

You do understand, don't you, that the constraints imposed by the constitution are entirely on the government? In other words, the government won't pass any laws which constrain the citizens freedom of religion and expression (in terms). Free speech doesn't mean you aren't liable for the consequences of what you say, it just means that you're allowed to say it in the first place.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2018, 01:06 PM   #20
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

They are not public figures, like politicians or celebrities, and the standards are not as strict. Their claim is that they were injured by false allegations. His defense would be to prove that the allegations are true, or maybe to assert he thought they were true and had a basis for it. The plaintiffs don't have to prove that he knew they were false, which would usually be the case for a celebrity.
Old 19th April 2018, 01:47 PM   #21
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

His statement in hisETA divorce case custody battle that it is an act mightn't help him in that.

ETA:

Link

http://time.com/4743025/alex-jones-i...-donald-trump/

Quote:
But a lawyer for Jones recently said the conspiracy theorist is merely playing a character when he speaks via his InfoWars channels. “He’s playing a character,” attorney Randall Wilhite said during a recent pretrial hearing. “He is a performance artist.”

The Austin American-Statesman reports Jones is in the middle of a custody battle, and his ex-wife and mother of his three children, Kelly Jones, has said his fiery rants prove he is not a fit parent. “He’s not a stable person,” Kelly Jones has said, according to the Statesman. “He broadcasts from home. The children are there, watching him broadcast.”

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK

Last edited by jimbob; 19th April 2018 at 01:50 PM.
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2018, 01:50 PM   #22
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

During his divorce/child custody case, Jones once claimed (through his lawyer) that what he does on InfoWars is a "performance". If that can be entered into evidence, that would certainly weaken Jones' case.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/i...-a7687571.html

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2018, 02:01 PM   #23
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
His statement in hisETA divorce case custody battle that it is an act mightn't help him in that.

ETA:

Link

http://time.com/4743025/alex-jones-i...-donald-trump/
There are two edges to that sword, though. If his show is a performance, and also intended to be fictional, then calling anything he says defamation would be like calling an article in The Onion defamation.
Old 19th April 2018, 02:07 PM   #24
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
There are two edges to that sword, though. If his show is a performance, and also intended to be fictional, then calling anything he says defamation would be like calling an article in The Onion defamation.
But the difference is, The Onion is marketed as satire. Its audience is smart enough to recognize that the material is meant to be comical.

While one of the readers here may be smart enough to know that Jones is full of B.S., many/most of his viewers are not that smart, and will accept his statements as truthful. His "performance" cannot be interpreted as satire either by those who know he's full of B.S. (and just see him as a con artist rather than a satirist) or those who believe him. And there are a lot of those around. (The fact that his articles have lead to actual harassment of victims is proof of that.)

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2018, 02:31 PM   #25
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
But the difference is, The Onion is marketed as satire. Its audience is smart enough to recognize that the material is meant to be comical.

While one of the readers here may be smart enough to know that Jones is full of B.S., many/most of his viewers are not that smart, and will accept his statements as truthful. His "performance" cannot be interpreted as satire either by those who know he's full of B.S. (and just see him as a con artist rather than a satirist) or those who believe him. And there are a lot of those around. (The fact that his articles have lead to actual harassment of victims is proof of that.)
Oh, I agree. While I believe he's playing a role, his "bits" are intended to be taken seriously by his audience as well as his detractors (as they help to inflame his audience). I'm just saying that his acknowledgment in a public record that he's engaging in "performance" isn't a magic bullet for the plaintiffs.
Old 19th April 2018, 02:38 PM   #26
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yes. If we don't let the crazy nutjob criminally slander the parents of dead children and order assault strikes on pizza parlors with imaginary child sex dungeons today then tomorrow we're gonna be denied "Loved Ones Recall Local Man’s Cowardly Battle With Cancer" headlines in an obvious parody newspaper.
Old 19th April 2018, 02:46 PM   #27
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Yes. If we don't let the crazy nutjob criminally slander the parents of dead children and order assault strikes on pizza parlors with imaginary child sex dungeons today then tomorrow we're gonna be denied "Loved Ones Recall Local Man’s Cowardly Battle With Cancer" headlines in an obvious parody newspaper.
Again, I agree. Courtrooms, however, unfortunately, are their own little worlds. I hope against hope that a jury sees what's up and bankrupts Jones.

Last edited by Babbylonian; 19th April 2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 19th April 2018, 03:14 PM   #28
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

And I thought the constitution applied to the actions of the government.

Oh, another thread that will end up with us presenting evidence that runs into the "I don't buy it" wall.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2018, 03:51 PM   #29
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
And I thought the constitution applied to the actions of the government.

Oh, another thread that will end up with us presenting evidence that runs into the "I don't buy it" wall.

Amazing how many people just don't get that freedom of speech does not mean you are free from any consquences of what you say.......

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2018, 03:53 PM   #30
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Again, I agree. Courtrooms, however, unfortunately, are their own little worlds. I hope against hope that a jury sees what's up and bankrupts Jones.
I would love to see Jones go under, but, even if a Jury finds that Jones is guilty of defamation, Jones will probably hire some lawyer who will find a loophole that will make an appeals court either overturn or greatly reduce the judgement.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 19th April 2018, 03:54 PM   #31
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

Oh, I am sure that Jones will claim he was just doing satire when he made the comments.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 19th April 2018, 03:59 PM   #32
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
You do understand, don't you, that the constraints imposed by the constitution are entirely on the government? In other words, the government won't pass any laws which constrain the citizens freedom of religion and expression (in terms). Free speech doesn't mean you aren't liable for the consequences of what you say, it just means that you're allowed to say it in the first place.
AMazinf how many people don't get this.
Under the US COnstituion I have a perfect right to walk into my bosses office and call him a dirty son of a bitch to his face. The government can do nothing to stop me. But the Constituion won't keep my butt from being canned ...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 19th April 2018, 04:00 PM   #33
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

ANother thread about this in the social issues section.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 19th April 2018, 04:14 PM   #34
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
AMazinf how many people don't get this.
Oh I think most all of them get it just fine. But "DEFINE EXACTLY WHERE FREE SPEECH BEGINS AND ENDS!" is a nice rabbit hole to drag a discussion down.
Old 19th April 2018, 04:14 PM   #35
ddt
Mafia Penguin

I hope too but 1 million does not suffice to bankrupt him.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2018, 04:24 PM   #36
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
I hope too but 1 million does not suffice to bankrupt him.
A jury that finds him guilty of defamation might (depending on the court) be able to order a great deal more in punitive damages.
Old 19th April 2018, 04:45 PM   #37
ddt
Mafia Penguin

A jury that finds him guilty of defamation might (depending on the court) be able to order a great deal more in punitive damages.
OK. Let's hope they'll do.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2018, 06:34 PM   #38
KatieG
Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry

It's about damn time!

Basically, if the GOP doesn't want to be called the white supremacy party, they should stop acting like they are.
-Mumbles
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2018, 09:47 PM   #39
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
ANother thread about this in the social issues section.

I've contacted the mods and asked them to merge the two

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2018, 10:23 PM   #40
BobTheCoward
Banned

I hope he wins.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events