ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 19th May 2017, 09:33 AM   #1201
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
So the "deep state" boogeyman is a Fox thing as well now? I'd been hearing it on Infowars a lot, but I don't watch Fox much so I didn't know they were doing it.
The term is kept intentionally vague, so that everyone can project onto it whatever they want it to mean (like (((that kind of people))) for example).
Old 19th May 2017, 09:34 AM   #1202
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I'm no fan of Trump but I think that he'll be kept on a short rein (and his phone won't have international roaming for data so his capacity to tweet will be reduced significantly) and will keep to the script so his capacity for screwing up is limited.

Doubtless there will be some gaffes but I don't think they will stretch to a full "international incident". If we can agree on a reasonable distinction between gaffes and incidents, I'd be willing to make an avatar bet that President Trump will avoid causing an international incident while he's on his jaunt
If he just embarrasses himself and the people who voted for him, that's just a gaffe. I'd define "international incident" as any provocative or offensive comment that damages or potentially damages cooperative foreign relations.
WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 09:48 AM   #1203
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Trump is considered by ISIS (and Putin, btw.) as proof that Democracy as practiced in the West, doesn't work.
Unless he performs flawlessly, it's not going to be enough.

But actually, I do think Trump is going to be behaved because he's going to be awestruck by all the foreign leaders - he will be giddy being allowed to sit at the Big Table.
Old 19th May 2017, 09:59 AM   #1204
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I'm curious to see the non-disclosure agreements that Trump staff have been required to sign. I hope they work their way into the public domain.
Old 19th May 2017, 10:20 AM   #1205
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
I'm curious to see the non-disclosure agreements that Trump staff have been required to sign. I hope they work their way into the public domain.
I want to see it to. But I can't imagine it having any legal weight. It wasn't been passed by law. Or am I mistaken? Did the President issue an EO?
Old 19th May 2017, 10:42 AM   #1206
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Trump is considered by ISIS (and Putin, btw.) as proof that Democracy as practiced in the West, doesn't work.

But actually, I do think Trump is going to be behaved because he's going to be awestruck by all the foreign leaders - he will be giddy being allowed to sit at the Big Table.
Well, this would be a good time to "pivot to being presidential," but I simply don't think the Boy King has it in him. If his staff can keep his extemporaneous speaking and questions from the press to a minimum, we may make it through without an incident, but then we have to worry about what will be leaked later.
WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 10:46 AM   #1207
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Well, this would be a good time to "pivot to being presidential," but I simply don't think the Boy King has it in him. If his staff can keep his extemporaneous speaking and questions from the press to a minimum, we may make it through without an incident, but then we have to worry about what will be leaked later.
Since when is a 70 year old a boy?
Old 19th May 2017, 10:48 AM   #1208
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
If he just embarrasses himself and the people who voted for him, that's just a gaffe. I'd define "international incident" as any provocative or offensive comment that damages or potentially damages cooperative foreign relations.
OK sounds a reasonable distinction - I'll take that bet

If he causes an international incident I will wear an avatar of your choice for a week...
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 10:52 AM   #1209
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
When he doesn't act like an adult.
Spindrift is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 11:21 AM   #1210
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

But I'm not a Republican. I actually have feelings for the poor and disadvantaged.

If you voted for Trump then those feelings weren't enough.
Old 19th May 2017, 11:31 AM   #1211
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Pence, so Christian he can't sit at a dinner table if a woman not his wife is the only other person there, but he can lie lie lie about contacts with Russians during and just after the campaign.

New report indicates Trump officials lied repeatedly about campaign’s contacts with Russia

He's doing it in the service of his faith. Trying to Make America Christian Again. Lying for Jesus is okay.

Of course he has no alternative or selfish motives. That wouldn't be a Christian way to behave.
Old 19th May 2017, 11:38 AM   #1212
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
If you voted for Trump then those feelings weren't enough.
I didn't vote for the orange turd. But that doesn't mean I don't have feelings for the people who are and will be suffering as a result of the election no matter who they may have voted for.
Old 19th May 2017, 11:41 AM   #1213
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
OK sounds a reasonable distinction - I'll take that bet

If he causes an international incident I will wear an avatar of your choice for a week...
There are some people here I wouldn't take that bet from, but you're on.
Old 19th May 2017, 11:42 AM   #1214
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

The grown-ups' table?
Old 19th May 2017, 11:43 AM   #1215
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Emotionally, he never grew out of it.
Old 19th May 2017, 11:58 AM   #1216
Minoosh
Philosopher

In these cases who provides the translation? Both the U.S. and Saudi (e.g.) governments?

I wonder of he'll think there are no women is Saudi Arabia?

Time corrected the "minaret" thing. They meant onion domes.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 11:59 AM   #1217
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
When he doesn't act like an adult.
I saw an article the other day noting that he doesn't act like a child, he acts like a privileged adult. You know, the kind of person the republicans always complain about who are not held responsible for their actions.

Calling him a child or a boy is an insult to kids everywhere. He's a spoiled brat, which knows no age.
Old 19th May 2017, 12:12 PM   #1218
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I saw an article the other day noting that he doesn't act like a child, he acts like a privileged adult. You know, the kind of person the republicans always complain about who are not held responsible for their actions.

Calling him a child or a boy is an insult to kids everywhere. He's a spoiled brat, which knows no age.
I can't say I've ever encountered anyone. Man woman or child who is more spoiled and acts more childish. And the really sad thing about my statement is that it isn't hyperbole.
Old 19th May 2017, 12:13 PM   #1219
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
You have to wonder what Flynn has on Trump because long time friendship is not in evidence. It's possible that like Bannon, Trump and Flynn are birds of a feather. That might be supported by this Cosmo article. It suggests they have everything in common.
Quote:
Flynn and his son have been accused of being racist, sexist conspiracy theorists who love spreading fake news.
There is of course that "story to tell".

So, blackmail or birds of a feather? Or both?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 12:13 PM   #1220
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post

Good point.
Spindrift is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 12:23 PM   #1221
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
This post is being overlooked. Perhaps if Stacko had posted more info:
Quote:
$110 Billion Weapons Sale to Saudis Has Jared Kushner’s Personal Touch
They want weapons, Trump wants to make it look like the US is getting a good deal and if you own stock in Lockeed Martin you might agree. Of course a lot of it is for show, taking credit for deals made during the Obama administration.
Quote:
The Trump administration is expected to frame the deal, worth about $110 billion over 10 years, as a symbol of America’s renewed commitment to security in the Persian Gulf. But former officials pointed out that President Barack Obama, whose arms sales to Saudi Arabia totaled $115 billion, had already approved several of the weapons in the package.
The problem is, these kinds of very public arms deals will no doubt make Iran all the more anxious to build their nukes. We're potentially fueling a MidEast war of WWIII dimensions.

But who cares, right?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 01:39 PM   #1222
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

The term is kept intentionally vague, so that everyone can project onto it whatever they want it to mean (like (((that kind of people))) for example).
So it's "reptilians"?
Old 19th May 2017, 01:48 PM   #1223
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
So it's "reptilians"?
I always thought that David Icke was possibly talking in code when he described people as reptilians. I always mentally did a find and replace of Jew for reptilian.

His rants became far less amusing and somewhat familiar when I did that.

(Not that it matters, but I am unaware of any Jewish ancestry, so I fully expect to be pretty tone deaf compared to someone who has personally been sensitised to antisemitic dog-whistles due to being on the receiving end).
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 02:21 PM   #1224
Arcade22
Illuminator

Quote:
Mike Pence would like you to know that Mike Pence is not involved in any of this. At least that appears to be the message coming from Pence’s allies, and perhaps the vice president himself, as the Trump White House reels from a series of interlocking scandals that threaten all manner of political peril, even potentially an impeachment or resignation that could make Pence the president of the United States.

All of a sudden we’re seeing a wave of articles in which anonymous sources close to Pence tell reporters that he’s completely out of the loop, to use the phrase that then-Vice President George H.W. Bush uttered so memorably when claiming his innocence in the Iran-Contra scandal. But can we believe it? And even if it’s true, isn’t that nearly as much of an indictment of Pence?

Flynn was paid half a million dollars to lobby on behalf of Turkey while he was advising the Trump campaign, and in January, on the advice of his lawyer, he retroactively registered as the agent of a foreign government. Though Flynn informed the Trump transition’s legal team of this fact, Pence says that no one told him, despite the fact that he was in charge of the transition.

Pence claimed in March to have just found out about Flynn’s work for Turkey. Yet Rep. Elijah Cummings (Md.), the ranking Democrat on the House Oversight Committee, sent Pence a letter on Nov. 18 going into considerable detail about Flynn’s Turkey connection. As of yesterday, Pence was standing by his assertion that he only learned about it in March.

As leader of the transition, it was Pence’s job to make sure that things such as appointing a national security adviser with troubling ties to foreign governments didn’t happen. So his defense in the Flynn matter comes down to: I was doing a terrible job leading the transition and had no idea what was going on.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...t-dont-buy-it/

Since Pence is clearly trying to position himself as the next US President, should Trump resign or be impeached, he and his allies are trying their best to paint him the best possible light. Hell i suspect he simply signed on as VP simply for the possibility of taking over if Trump screwed up.

A nuanced overview of his actual conduct reveals that he has been or at least should have been aware of the dubious unethical and/or illegal things Trump and his administration has been doing. Failing to take responsibility for parroting lies coming from the President is not a sign of maturity or strong leadership.

What can you say about a vice-president whose president won't inform them that someone has lied to them, in order to prevent them from making a fool out of themselves by repeating that lie on television?
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 02:30 PM   #1225
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Quote:
... Even people not involved in the original scandal can find themselves caught up in the maelstrom and see their careers ruined. Legal costs soar. The investigations can veer off in wildly unexpected directions, so no White House nook or cranny is safe...
writes David Brooks in the NYTimes about

The Trump Administration Talent Vacuum

Quote:
I don’t say that because I think the Comey-Russia scandal will necessarily lead to impeachment. I have no idea where the investigations will go.

I say it because White Houses, like all organizations, run on talent, and the Trump White House has just become a Human Resources disaster area.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 02:35 PM   #1226
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
writes David Brooks in the NYTimes about

The Trump Administration Talent Vacuum
From that article.

Quote:
As the British say, the staff is jumping ship so fast they are leaving the rats gaping and applauding.
As Pterry would say, SQUEAK!
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 03:03 PM   #1227
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
I do agree with this though. It would take something major for him to really cause an 'international incident'. Not that I don't think he's capable of doing it, I just don't think he will.
Much more likely, I think, is something that has unwelcome domestic reverberations. His hosts aren't looking for trouble, but people back home are.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 03:33 PM   #1228
skyeagle409
Master Poster

If Trump continues with his immature and destructive ways and investigations reveal additional negative information against Trump in the coming months, he may very well come up short of a 4-year term.

Quote:
Sources: White House lawyers research impeachment

Washington (CNN)White House lawyers have begun researching impeachment procedures in an effort to prepare for what officials still believe is a distant possibility that President Donald Trump could have to fend off attempts to remove him from office, two people briefed on the discussions tell CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/19/politi...ent/index.html

Last edited by skyeagle409; 19th May 2017 at 03:35 PM.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 03:46 PM   #1229
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump apparently thinks the worst mistake he made so far as president was firing Flynn..
Apparently Trump has become obsessed with defending Flynn.
IMHO it is to mollify Flynn;because if Flynn spills the beans, it might be all over.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 04:17 PM   #1230
Babbylonian
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Trump apparently thinks the worst mistake he made so far as president was firing Flynn..
Apparently Trump has become obsessed with defending Flynn.
IMHO it is to mollify Flynn;because if Flynn spills the beans, it might be all over.
We'll know for sure if enough evidence is developed to prosecute Flynn. At that point, he'll be ripe for a deal.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 04:22 PM   #1231
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

I think there's a 5% chance he never returns to the US
Old 19th May 2017, 04:24 PM   #1232
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Turns out the Saudi's will provide him with his well-done steak and ketchup dinner:

Quote:
When President Donald Trump sits down for dinner in Saudi Arabia, caterers have ensured that his favorite meal — steak with a side of ketchup — will be offered alongside the traditional local cuisine.
That makes me think it's more like 11.3%.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 04:29 PM   #1233
Tony Stark
Philosopher

If the only thing you knew about Trump is that he likes well done steaks with ketchup, that would still be enough to know he shouldn't be president.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 04:45 PM   #1234
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
If the only thing you knew about Trump is that he likes well done steaks with ketchup, that would still be enough to know he shouldn't be president.
Or that he thinks sexual assault is something to brag about. A bit of a pre-election red flag there.
Old 19th May 2017, 04:46 PM   #1235
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
He runs away with AF1 to Moscow?
Old 19th May 2017, 04:53 PM   #1236
Babbylonian
Philosopher

Extracted by Spetsnatz operating out of Syria.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 05:00 PM   #1237
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Or that he thinks sexual assault is something to brag about. A bit of a pre-election red flag there.

Not to mention his response regarding his daughter on the Howard Stern radio show.

Quote:
What Trump said on Howard Stern's radio show

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...ce_of_ass.html

Last edited by skyeagle409; 19th May 2017 at 05:02 PM.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 05:01 PM   #1238
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

A la Viktor Belenko.
Old 19th May 2017, 05:33 PM   #1239
Tony Stark
Philosopher

What if Jared and Ivanka are the masterminds and Donald is too dumb to figure out what is going on?
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 05:39 PM   #1240
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Hilariously sums up a lot of blind Trump support:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 19th May 2017 at 05:41 PM.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics