ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags flat earth , flat earthers

Old 5th May 2017, 09:59 PM   #41
EvilBiker
Muse

Urgh, flat earthers - had my fair share of run-ins with them.

The one guy I was "engaging" with seems to want to be convinced the earth is flat so that he can then justify his distrust in governments, or any other social authority. Admittedly, he has a history of alternative beliefs.

It's like arguing with a cross between a religious zealot and a 9/11 truther - facts don't feature.

I gave up after trying to debunk one of their popular assertions that the "horizon always rises to eye level", which supposedly proves a flat earth. Their method of measurement involves a spirit level and a cardboard tube. Considering that the angles we are talking about here are very small, this is not exactly the proper way of doing things.

So, I set out with a theodolite, calibrated, took measurements at sea level, and then hiked up a mountain carrying the damn thing, and again calibrated and took measurements. The horizon drop from horizontal is plain to see.

It took me ages to capture all my workings, with video references, calculations of what to expect and verification of same, etc. etc.

When I presented the results, I was asked one question: does the theodolite have a lens? Yes, I replied. Well, there's your problem, lenses distort the horizon, your results are invalid. WTF? Even after I had carefully explained how calibration negates any lens effects.

Ah well, at least I had fun

My take on flat earth theory? See my sig line.
Old 5th May 2017, 10:16 PM   #42
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

There must be an amazing number of people involved in selling the round-earth lie. Otherwise, I don't see how it could possibly be maintained.

Do the flat-earthers acknowledge this? Does it bother them that so many of their fellows are foisting a falsehood on the rest of us?

At first it sounds like a really stressful, tough way to live. But then I remember I don't believe in God and I manage.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2017, 10:35 PM   #43
Dabop
Critical Thinker

Theres been heaps on the various conspiracy sites, funny thing was that even the 9/1 hoaxers and Sandy Hookers think the flat earthers are nuts- They often comment that the flat earthers are `ebil gobernment psykops' that post the `silly flat earth' stuff to make the other conspiracy nutters look like- well- nutters

(what amuses me is one nutter, calling another nutter nuts and vise versa- when they are both actually correct in thinking the other one is nuts but they dont think they themselves as nuts....)

And if you can follow that bit of convoluted thinking.....

you probably arent nuts LOL
Old 5th May 2017, 10:38 PM   #44
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
If the Sun's light is supposed to be 'focused' in the manner of a flashlight, then why is it always the case that wherever and whenever on Earth we always see the Sun shining fully (when not attenuated by clouds, fog, volcanic ash, etc.) anytime it is above the horizon?
I think this gets into crowd management territory where you have a superficial answer for one problem, but have to evade the three other problems that crop up from your first bad answer. If you let people do follow-up questions and start drawing conclusions then you lose control.

The one's I've seen just have a script memorized and are over their heads quickly on technical points. So they urge people to let them get through the presentation and show intellectual prowess by holding onto a premise they disagree with in order to hear it out.

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
The point of view is from across part of the Lake in Indiana or even Michigan. They do have the right curvature & distance numbers, which can be obtained fairly easily from non-flat-Earth sources so they wouldn't need to do the math themselves. They just don't include the possibility of having the resulting range extended occasionally by a mirage-like effect set up by a certain kind of thermal layering over the Lake which, under the right conditions, bends the light path down.
Thanks for that.

It was suspicious that there are a tiny number of examples with special circumstances as "proof". If they are using the right formulas and their theory is correct, then it will be true in general. No reason it has to be the Chicago skyline from the water at certain times. Or a canal from 1853.

I've listened to them say things about what pilots see, and what pilots are allowed to do and it is incredible. There are public flights to the South Pole regularly, like this outfit for example:

http://www.polarcruises.com/antarcti...h-pole-flights

It's quite modest at $25K to $73K per person for these week-long adventures with planes, camps, penguins, and guides with tracked vehicles. Jesus, there better be good whiskey.

How can you not know this when posing yourself as an expert on what you can do at the South Pole? You can talk to pilots who circumnavigate and don't fall off the edge of the earth.

Last edited by AlaskaBushPilot; 5th May 2017 at 10:40 PM.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2017, 11:22 PM   #45
Dabop
Critical Thinker

Our local national airline (Qantas) also has joyflights over the south pole fairly regularly during the summer months, and another firm has flights booked on hired Qantas 747's as their entire business!
http://www.antarcticaflights.com.au/

One thing that gets me is that most flat earthers subscribe to the `U.N.' model of the map ie centralised north pole, the south pole being a circle around the outside edge
eg can be seen at https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...92058ba8cb.jpg
the problem is that either you guys in the states are wrong or people driving across oz are wrong, its about the same distance on a globe earth, but look at the difference across Oz its nearly3 times the distance on the flat earth model...

This causes obvious problems when you have people moving from one place on the earth to another, a kilometer (or mile depending on your country) has to be different lengths at different parts of the earth.... things like car speedos would have to be calibrated depending on your distance from the north pole- a car calibrated in Canadian miles (or km, not sure what they use there) when exported to Oz, would have to have a recalibration done, or its milometer would be undereading by a factor of about 3! - certainly very noticable....
planes and ships are worse, they would have to recalibrate while in the air/ocean- flying east to west would be 1 mile per mile, while flying north to south would result in 1 mile being from 0 to about 3 miles depending on distance from the north pole!

uggh
Old 6th May 2017, 04:02 AM   #46
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by EvilBiker View Post
Urgh, flat earthers - had my fair share of run-ins with them.

The one guy I was "engaging" with seems to want to be convinced the earth is flat so that he can then justify his distrust in governments, or any other social authority. Admittedly, he has a history of alternative beliefs.

It's like arguing with a cross between a religious zealot and a 9/11 truther - facts don't feature.

I gave up after trying to debunk one of their popular assertions that the "horizon always rises to eye level", which supposedly proves a flat earth. Their method of measurement involves a spirit level and a cardboard tube. Considering that the angles we are talking about here are very small, this is not exactly the proper way of doing things.

So, I set out with a theodolite, calibrated, took measurements at sea level, and then hiked up a mountain carrying the damn thing, and again calibrated and took measurements. The horizon drop from horizontal is plain to see.

It took me ages to capture all my workings, with video references, calculations of what to expect and verification of same, etc. etc.

When I presented the results, I was asked one question: does the theodolite have a lens? Yes, I replied. Well, there's your problem, lenses distort the horizon, your results are invalid. WTF? Even after I had carefully explained how calibration negates any lens effects.

Ah well, at least I had fun

My take on flat earth theory? See my sig line.
The next step might be a discussion of how lenses work and how distortions can be calculated, along side the character of your theodolite lens.
Old 6th May 2017, 04:24 AM   #47
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Here's a 2 part vid I stumbled upon experimentally attempting to demonstrate the flatness using a laser.
https://youtu.be/cNEUOnlcIAQ
https://youtu.be/GBhDFO4NMrw
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2017, 10:52 AM   #48
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dabop View Post
Our local national airline (Qantas) also has joyflights over the south pole fairly regularly during the summer months, and another firm has flights booked on hired Qantas 747's as their entire business!
http://www.antarcticaflights.com.au/
Thanks for that. It shows how little effort is involved in debunking the lynchpin of the whole conspiracy theory. There is no flotilla of ships poised to shoot down planes flying past the ice wall. Instead, you can lay down cash and fly over the pole yourself if you have any doubts.

We're supposed to dismiss all of NASA's work because we weren't on space ships ourselves but on the other hand we're supposed to believe they are shooting down planes defying the ban on polar flights.

It's why I am leaning towards Alternate Reality Gaming as an explanation for Flat Earthers.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2017, 11:29 AM   #49
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
It's why I am leaning towards Alternate Reality Gaming as an explanation for Flat Earthers.
Not everybody has access to good territory for big footing.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2017, 12:15 PM   #50
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Flat earth believers (or trolls--they're pretty difficult to tell apart) are good at coming up with individual explanations for individual cases, but these explanations don't stand up when looking at the broader picture.

For example, the "spotlight" sun idea works for explaining why we need time zones, but does it explain why the North Pole is in darkness 6 months of the year while the South Pole is in sunlight, and vice-versa for the other six months? (Same is true to a lesser extent of any other city north or south of 40 degrees latitude.) Does it explain why Canada and Australia have their summer and winter six months out of phase with each other? Does it explain hurricanes and eclipse paths? Does it explain why we see two transits of Mercury within a few years of each other, but these pairs are separated by over a hundred years? Does it explain the retrograde motion of Mars? Does it explain gravity boosts when getting an interplanetary probe to Saturn?

A globe shaped Earth in a heliocentric orbit very nicely explains all the above. Occam's razor and all that. Genuine flat earthers have to throw out all of the last 300 or so years of astronomy, counting from the publication of Galileo's Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2017, 01:17 PM   #51
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Sandy Hookers
I didn't know there was such a thing. What theory makes them what they are? That there was no Sandy Hook shooting? That it was done by government agents? That it was done by Monsanto agents? And what makes that shooting different from other shootings to them in this regard?

Do Australian flat-Earthers think the South Pole is in the middle and the North Pole is the rim around the outside?
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2017, 01:48 PM   #52
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Thanks for that. It shows how little effort is involved in debunking the lynchpin of the whole conspiracy theory. There is no flotilla of ships poised to shoot down planes flying past the ice wall. Instead, you can lay down cash and fly over the pole yourself if you have any doubts.

We're supposed to dismiss all of NASA's work because we weren't on space ships ourselves but on the other hand we're supposed to believe they are shooting down planes defying the ban on polar flights.
See my post 15. There's a link which I feel is a best example that answers your "why" folks not only believe the Earth is flat, but why they choose to reject reality and replace it with their own in other areas we critigue here.

Last edited by Steve001; 6th May 2017 at 01:52 PM.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2017, 02:15 PM   #53
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
See my post 15. There's a link which I feel is a best example that answers your "why" folks not only believe the Earth is flat, but why they choose to reject reality and replace it with their own in other areas we critigue here.
Jesus H. Christ on a stick, that guy was both stupid and rude. Thank you for the video, it's the best I've seen of the limited exposure I have because it had extensive questions by the other two dudes and you could really read the body language of el stupido.

He's being an actor. Toying with the other two, who are really working hard to be polite. The money quote:

"What's the big deal? It's entertaining to me..."

Well the big deal is all of your antisocial conduct, being an unreasonable ass while smirking about it. Doesn't he look like a spoiled child?

They have no compunction about calling us fools. Ridicule, shame, and lying too. You are lying that you really believe - that's where it all starts.

Thanks. I'm convinced now.
Old 6th May 2017, 03:30 PM   #54
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

I've never understood the motivation of these flat-earth brain-damage patients simpletons who portray themselves as refusing to accept overwhelming obviousness. That the earth and other celestial bodies are spherical is so obvious that it just can't be true? But since they can't go into space personally and really check it all out first hand - and because they can't trust anything they see (except what they'd have seen had they been able to go to space, I think) - they'll rely on the recitation of a bunch of simple minded rebuttals to "prove" their case instead, including questioning the reality of photography itself? Really? As a round Baller™ earther I'm the brain-washed one?!
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2017, 04:11 PM   #55
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Flat earth believers (or trolls--they're pretty difficult to tell apart) are good at coming up with individual explanations for individual cases, but these explanations don't stand up when looking at the broader picture.

For example, the "spotlight" sun idea works for explaining why we need time zones, but does it explain why the North Pole is in darkness 6 months of the year while the South Pole is in sunlight, and vice-versa for the other six months? (Same is true to a lesser extent of any other city north or south of 40 degrees latitude.) Does it explain why Canada and Australia have their summer and winter six months out of phase with each other? Does it explain hurricanes and eclipse paths? Does it explain why we see two transits of Mercury within a few years of each other, but these pairs are separated by over a hundred years? Does it explain the retrograde motion of Mars? Does it explain gravity boosts when getting an interplanetary probe to Saturn?

A globe shaped Earth in a heliocentric orbit very nicely explains all the above. Occam's razor and all that. Genuine flat earthers have to throw out all of the last 300 or so years of astronomy, counting from the publication of Galileo's Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems.
It occurs to me that some of the flat earth mythology might have come from someone trying to answer these questions as a purely intellectual exercise without actually believing it, and then other people taking the intellectual exercise seriously as a matter of doctrine.

After all, reading this thread I find myself trying to come up with plausible answers to these questions. If I wrote down in a blog my attempts to answer them, then some random person on the internet came across it, I can believe that they might believe my intellectual ramblings as something deep and meaningful.
Old 6th May 2017, 04:28 PM   #56
desmirelle
Thinker

Who is holding the 'Sun flashlight'?
desmirelle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2017, 08:11 PM   #57
Blue Mountain

Originally Posted by desmirelle View Post
Who is holding the 'Sun flashlight'?
If a turtle is holding up the disc of the earth, perhaps a rabbit is holding the sun?
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2017, 08:31 PM   #58
Dabop
Critical Thinker

Talking

I didn't know there was such a thing. What theory makes them what they are? That there was no Sandy Hook shooting? That it was done by government agents? That it was done by Monsanto agents? And what makes that shooting different from other shootings to them in this regard?
Practically everything is a false flag according to someone or other
Sandy hookers are well represented at the various conspiracy sites, London one slightly less so, Boston marathon never happened- literally EVERYTHING is a false flag with one group or another

Sandy Hook false flag

(just google Event here false flag and see the results)
Do Australian flat-Earthers think the South Pole is in the middle and the North Pole is the rim around the outside?
Well we don't fall off, so that means we are actually at the top, so you so called `northers' don't really exist or you would fall off the `bottom' of the world, which is actually upside down from everything we have ever been taught at school

Old 7th May 2017, 12:22 AM   #59
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
I've never understood the motivation of these flat-earth brain-damage patients simpletons who portray themselves as refusing to accept overwhelming obviousness. That the earth and other celestial bodies are spherical is so obvious that it just can't be true? But since they can't go into space personally and really check it all out first hand - and because they can't trust anything they see (except what they'd have seen had they been able to go to space, I think) - they'll rely on the recitation of a bunch of simple minded rebuttals to "prove" their case instead, including questioning the reality of photography itself? Really? As a round Baller™ earther I'm the brain-washed one?!
Audacity, yeah. No shame. An attempt at gaslighting or crazy-making, as some call it, I guess.

And insulting you relentlessly. The natural response to abuse, to being called "brainwashed" and stupid is anger.

"Ball Earth Theory" is a condescending label. In elementary school we called it a sphere or globe. Aristotle did not call it a ball. So they've made up their own derisive term about all of us.

Not an argument. That seems to be my general response to most of what they push.
Old 7th May 2017, 12:23 AM   #60
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

"Globe" is more accurate than "sphere", since the earth is not spherical.
Old 7th May 2017, 12:41 AM   #61
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

This is of interest to skeptics, the Conspiracy Theory:

https://wiki.tfes.org/Place_of_the_Conspiracy_in_FET

It's quite frank.

They believe all the evidence they see personally shows flat earth.

Therefore all evidence to the contrary is fabricated. Since it comes from multiple sources, all pointing to the same false ball earth -> Conspiracy.
Old 7th May 2017, 11:50 AM   #62
GT/CS
Illuminator

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
It occurs to me that some of the flat earth mythology might have come from someone trying to answer these questions as a purely intellectual exercise without actually believing it, and then other people taking the intellectual exercise seriously as a matter of doctrine.

After all, reading this thread I find myself trying to come up with plausible answers to these questions. If I wrote down in a blog my attempts to answer them, then some random person on the internet came across it, I can believe that they might believe my intellectual ramblings as something deep and meaningful.
Another possibility is that the Bible created flat earthers, since it describes a flat earth in numerous passages.
Old 7th May 2017, 12:38 PM   #63
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
Another possibility is that the Bible created flat earthers, since it describes a flat earth in numerous passages.
I see that some adherents are using the bible as a citation, and certainly some could come to flat earth from religious quarters.

This is the Flat Earth Society home page, not that they are the Vatican on this, but a great source for skeptics:

https://wiki.tfes.org/The_Flat_Earth_Wiki

They have a FAQ page and address religion there. Claims no association to religion. The page on flat earth figures gives some historical background.

It's fascinating, that's for sure.
Old 7th May 2017, 12:48 PM   #64
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

It's also a 'opinion camp' thing .. sure, flat Earth is a bit extreme .. but if you are into, let's say .. Reiki .. you have to believe, science is wrong. Or maybe even lying on purpose. Then anti-vaccination is ok too. Chemtrails, sure thing. Alies, probably. And so on .. you either with us, or against us. Nothing in between ..
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2017, 03:01 PM   #65
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I get the comment.

Seems like we got a whole variety of Alternate Reality games going on, and personal preferences are going to play a part along with personal circumstance.

These guys are really out there, that's for sure. More than bigfoot gamers.

No gravity. That's so *********** ballsy!
Old 7th May 2017, 03:25 PM   #66
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

I think this thread broke my brain... shoulda never opened it

Query...

In our reality, should a pilot circumnavigate Antarctica clockwise, he would have it on his right side and make a long radius right hand turn all the way around.

Oops... forgot those pesky NWO air patrols. Let's try on the water instead...

Do they accept that people have sailed around the entirety of Antarctica?

If it's, as they claim, actually a 150-200 foot high wall around the outer edge... how would the ship manage this circling right, if their flat pizza world would require a long circuit... to the left?

Come to think of it... that'd be a long damn cruise.

I bet it's those f'in magnets.

Yeah... that's the ticket.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 7th May 2017 at 03:28 PM.
Jim_MDP is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2017, 05:28 PM   #67
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Yes, but to a different purpose: to prove that the distance is vastly greater than the ball earth conspirators claim.

I forget which circumnavigation they referred to in a video I saw. But it supposedly took order of magnitude more time than it should have by ball earth computations.

They sailed around the outer rim, which is the greatest distance on their map, in contrast to the equator being the greatest distance in ball earth conspiracy propaganda.

Last edited by AlaskaBushPilot; 7th May 2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 7th May 2017, 05:36 PM   #68
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Query...

I've never done it, so it's pretty much "cool story bro" from where I'm sitting.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2017, 10:13 PM   #69
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

University of Leicester picture of curvature of the earth from weather balloon:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tcsv0h95m...&preview=1.jpg

Just so many faked photos and optical illusions.
Old 7th May 2017, 10:25 PM   #70
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

University of Leicester picture of curvature of the earth from weather balloon:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tcsv0h95m...&preview=1.jpg

Just so many faked photos and optical illusions.
I notice the rope in that picture is curved. For some reason, I expected it to be under tension and straight.

This isn't one of those pictures where the lens creates the curvature we see, is it?
Old 8th May 2017, 09:21 AM   #71
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I'm not sure about that. According to many footers, there's a family or two of bigfoots living in every 2 acre patch of woods in eastern and midwestern U.S.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2017, 02:09 PM   #72
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Practically everything is a false flag according to someone or other
Sandy hookers are well represented at the various conspiracy sites, London one slightly less so, Boston marathon never happened- literally EVERYTHING is a false flag with one group or another
Wait... I thought "false flag" meant one entity doing something while posing as another entity to direct the blame at that other entity... but the only specific thing you said in there other than "false flag" was a "never happened"... are you saying "false flag" means "never happened", or mixing references to two separate kinds of theory?
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2017, 02:12 PM   #73
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
I notice the rope in that picture is curved. For some reason, I expected it to be under tension and straight.

This isn't one of those pictures where the lens creates the curvature we see, is it?
Yes, I'd say it is a fisheye lens. The curvature is exaggerated.
Old 8th May 2017, 02:47 PM   #74
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Yes, I'd say it is a fisheye lens. The curvature is exaggerated.

OK, flat earthers: Explain time zones.

Hans
Old 8th May 2017, 04:13 PM   #75
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post

Hans
Take a look at the day/night cycle on the Flat Earth Society Frequently Asked Questions page:

https://wiki.tfes.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions

It's really important that the sun is orbiting above the flat earth but with a flashlight beam that only shines on part of the earth at any point in time. Look at the diagram there with the moving sun and it will show what they claim. The sun is vastly closer to earth in this theory.

The orbit of the sun is wider in the winter of the northern hemisphere. It is narrower in the summer of the northern hemisphere. That does explain the seasons if you have a sun that shines like a flashlight, has vastly less energy output, and tastes like cotton candy.

Someone above asked who was holding the flashlight in the sky, and that's essentially asking what forces are at work causing the sun to orbit the flat earth. Why would the sun orbit above earth?
Old 8th May 2017, 04:17 PM   #76
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Geez Louise, Pratchett's Discworld does better than that.
Old 8th May 2017, 04:39 PM   #77
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post

Hans
Spring forward, fall back?
Old 8th May 2017, 04:54 PM   #78
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

One thing flat eathers never seem to have an answer for is why the sun takes opposite arcs North and South of the equator on equinox, while at the equator it travels in a straight line.
Old 8th May 2017, 04:55 PM   #79
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Are we sure that flat earthers aren't trolling?
The vast majority of them just have to be, or just get into being contrarian. The intellectual deficient required to believe this would be almost crippling.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2017, 05:01 PM   #80
Blue Mountain

Take a look at the day/night cycle on the Flat Earth Society Frequently Asked Questions page:

https://wiki.tfes.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions

It's really important that the sun is orbiting above the flat earth but with a flashlight beam that only shines on part of the earth at any point in time. Look at the diagram there with the moving sun and it will show what they claim. The sun is vastly closer to earth in this theory.

The orbit of the sun is wider in the winter of the northern hemisphere. It is narrower in the summer of the northern hemisphere. That does explain the seasons if you have a sun that shines like a flashlight, has vastly less energy output, and tastes like cotton candy.

Someone above asked who was holding the flashlight in the sky, and that's essentially asking what forces are at work causing the sun to orbit the flat earth. Why would the sun orbit above earth?
And as I mentioned before, how well does that explain eclipses? Transits of Mercury? Phases of Venus?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal