ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags flat earth , flat earthers

Old 8th May 2017, 05:23 PM   #81
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
The vast majority of them just have to be, or just get into being contrarian. The intellectual deficient required to believe this would be almost crippling.
Most of the ones I have encountered in FB and Twitter are fundy Christians who interpret "firmament" literally, from their favorite translation of the Bible. Their own wall posts for the FB ones often reinforce their public posts.
Old 8th May 2017, 06:55 PM   #82
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
And as I mentioned before, how well does that explain eclipses? Transits of Mercury? Phases of Venus?
There you go again with these illusions.

I think it's pretty clear this is a woo medalist for absurdity. I couldn't believe there even existed such a Society, but here we are!
AlaskaBushPilot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2017, 08:58 PM   #83
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
The vast majority of them just have to be, or just get into being contrarian. The intellectual deficient required to believe this would be almost crippling.
I agree. And yet it doesn't appear every "theoretical idiot" who supports the absurdity is that deficient. Heck their website is better than many and a lot better than many more. I'm sure you've seen that Time Cube clown's website? He was truly intellectually deficient.

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
There you go again with these illusions.

I think it's pretty clear this is a woo medalist for absurdity. I couldn't believe there even existed such a Society, but here we are!
Crystal clear and that's somehow the key to it. I've heard comedians say a fascination with the absurd has been their singular motivation. Steve Martin has said it in interviews before and I've heard others use the word to describe the underlying basis of their job including Seth MacFarlane. Could the utter absurdity of a present-day "belief" in a flat earth be the reason it's a desirable cause for some otherwise mostly normal knucklehead? Shaq?

Last edited by HarryHenderson; 8th May 2017 at 08:59 PM.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2017, 09:20 PM   #84
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
I'm sure you've seen that Time Cube clown's website? He was truly intellectually deficient.
Thanks, I'm still laughing even though I knew the site. Time Cube is a standard for all time, I think.

My impression was that the guy was off his rocker of course. But now, years later, I guess I have to wonder if he's an Andy Kaufman, putting us on. I'm leaning towards bonkers.
AlaskaBushPilot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 12:30 AM   #85
TheGoldcountry
Illuminator

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
I agree. And yet it doesn't appear every "theoretical idiot" who supports the absurdity is that deficient. Heck their website is better than many and a lot better than many more. I'm sure you've seen that [URL="http://timecube.2enp.com/"]Time Cube[/url] clown's website? He was truly intellectually deficient.
Wow. You owe me some ibuprofen, I got a headache reading that.
Old 9th May 2017, 07:31 PM   #86
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Thanks, I'm still laughing even though I knew the site. Time Cube is a standard for all time, I think.

My impression was that the guy was off his rocker of course. But now, years later, I guess I have to wonder if he's an Andy Kaufman, putting us on. I'm leaning towards bonkers.
Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
Wow. You owe me some ibuprofen, I got a headache reading that.
That guy was beyond nuts. Dropped on his head as a baby?

"...The ONEist educated with their flawed 1 eye
perspective (opposite eyes overlay) Cyclops
mentality, inflicts static non pulsating logos
as a fictitious queer same sex transformation...
"

I seriously doubt he made any money off TimeCube™, but I bet he cleaned up as the Internet's preferred random word generator.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 10:27 PM   #87
Roboramma
Philosopher

Here's a map of the supposed flat earth. Given that it's flat, there should be no distortion, so sizes and distances should be proportionally correct:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....17nAsDfXNL.jpg

It looks like the distance from coast to coast in Australia is about twice the distance from coast to coast in the US.

But, the distance from Perth to Brisbane, which is close to the east-west axis of Australia, is 3606 km. Don't believe it? Ask a friend to take the flight, or ask one of the many many people who have taken that flight how long it takes.
https://www.distancecalculator.net/f...th-to-brisbane
Maybe airplanes actually can travel much faster than "they" say. Okay, drive on the roads. Or ask a friend who has. The driving distance is 4312 km.

The distance from Seattle to New York, which again seems to be pretty much the east-west axis, is 3870 km by air and 4589 km by car.

Not only is Australia not twice as long from one side to the other as the US, it's actually shorter. Any flat earther can actually go and test this himself if he wants to uncover the conspiracy.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 10:39 PM   #88
TheGoldcountry
Illuminator

https://www.metabunk.org/flat-earth-...america.t6483/
Old 10th May 2017, 04:51 AM   #89
Dabop
Thinker

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Wait... I thought "false flag" meant one entity doing something while posing as another entity to direct the blame at that other entity... but the only specific thing you said in there other than "false flag" was a "never happened"... are you saying "false flag" means "never happened", or mixing references to two separate kinds of theory?
Dont blame me, I was just describing what they claim, trying to make sense of it only gives you a headache...

Some claim that the various events simply didnt happen at all, its all just made up media stories, others claim they `happened' but there were no real victims, they were all `crisis actors', yet others usually claim that the event happened with real victims, but the perp/perps weren't the ones that actually did it/ were controlled while doing by mind control/hypnosis/microwaves/alternate personas by the cia/aliens/illuminati/reptilians...

ya takes ya pick
Old 10th May 2017, 05:18 AM   #90
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Here's a map of the supposed flat earth. Given that it's flat, there should be no distortion, so sizes and distances should be proportionally correct:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....17nAsDfXNL.jpg

It looks like the distance from coast to coast in Australia is about twice the distance from coast to coast in the US.

But, the distance from Perth to Brisbane, which is close to the east-west axis of Australia, is 3606 km. Don't believe it? Ask a friend to take the flight, or ask one of the many many people who have taken that flight how long it takes.
https://www.distancecalculator.net/f...th-to-brisbane
Maybe airplanes actually can travel much faster than "they" say. Okay, drive on the roads. Or ask a friend who has. The driving distance is 4312 km.

The distance from Seattle to New York, which again seems to be pretty much the east-west axis, is 3870 km by air and 4589 km by car.

Not only is Australia not twice as long from one side to the other as the US, it's actually shorter. Any flat earther can actually go and test this himself if he wants to uncover the conspiracy.
Yes , my discussion with the few flat earther always goes like this:
[me] so earth is a disk /ellipsoide or similar ?
[flat earther] yes a disk with the north pole as center
[me] so travelling 45° north lattitude from east to west should be much shorter than travelling 45° south... How comes this is not the case ? The travel has been done by airplane and ship.
[flat earther] .... (waffle about conspiracy or never answer)....
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 08:44 AM   #91
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Take a look at the day/night cycle on the Flat Earth Society Frequently Asked Questions page:

https://wiki.tfes.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions

It's really important that the sun is orbiting above the flat earth but with a flashlight beam that only shines on part of the earth at any point in time. Look at the diagram there with the moving sun and it will show what they claim. The sun is vastly closer to earth in this theory.

The orbit of the sun is wider in the winter of the northern hemisphere. It is narrower in the summer of the northern hemisphere. That does explain the seasons if you have a sun that shines like a flashlight, has vastly less energy output, and tastes like cotton candy.

Someone above asked who was holding the flashlight in the sky, and that's essentially asking what forces are at work causing the sun to orbit the flat earth. Why would the sun orbit above earth?
(sorry, late reply)

The flashlight explanation does not fit simple observation:

We can SEE the sun rising above the horizon, coming gradually into view as a disk. This disk moves across the sky, not changing in size and sinks below the horizon, still as a disk.

This is true no matter where we are on Earth, but the time shifts. How can the "flashlight sun" rise across the horizon at one time in one place and at another time in another place?

How can the "flashlight sun" travel across the skies at a low altitude without changing apparent size?

Hans
Old 10th May 2017, 10:42 AM   #92
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

We shouldn't get too down on the idiocy of flat earthing, MENSA really does mean "foolish, stupid" in Spanish.
Old 10th May 2017, 11:18 AM   #93
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

What I love most about flat-earthism is that for almost everyone, almost all of the time, there is literally no functional advantage from believing in a round Earth. Technically it's round, but for all practical purposes? It might as well be flat.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 11:39 AM   #94
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post

The flashlight explanation does not fit simple observation:

Hans
Here again you are using illusions to support ball earth.
Old 10th May 2017, 12:34 PM   #95
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Here again you are using illusions to support ball earth.
Ya. Like the illusion that I can show the sun at the horizon at the same time as it is at Zenith in some other place. Flat Earthers, calculate the distance of the sun from a flat Earth from that information.

Hans
Old 10th May 2017, 06:03 PM   #96
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
What I love most about flat-earthism is that for almost everyone, almost all of the time, there is literally no functional advantage from believing in a round Earth. Technically it's round, but for all practical purposes? It might as well be flat.
It's a convenient operational shortcut, to treat the surface of the planet as though it were a Euclidian flat surface. It only works because it's so big. But that's all it is - a fiction to make things like distances easier to calculate.

Flat Earthers take their local, parochial view and - without acknowledging that all it is is an operational shortcut - assume that it applies to the entire planet.

Only Zuul.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 06:47 PM   #97
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
It's a convenient operational shortcut, to treat the surface of the planet as though it were a Euclidian flat surface. It only works because it's so big. But that's all it is - a fiction to make things like distances easier to calculate.

Flat Earthers take their local, parochial view and - without acknowledging that all it is is an operational shortcut - assume that it applies to the entire planet.
Don't know if this true for all flat Earthers. Flat Earthers do not think Earth is a planet, really.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 06:52 PM   #98
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Don't know if this true for all flat Earthers. Flat Earthers do not think Earth is a planet, really.
Obviously. I used the term "planet" because I know I'm not talking to flat-earthers.

Only Zuul.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 08:33 PM   #99
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's a convenient operational shortcut, to treat the surface of the planet as though it were a Euclidian flat surface.
It's not an operational short cut, though. For almost all of human history, it's been a practical reality. Even today for almost everyone, almost all of the time, it's still a practical reality.

When people treat the earth as flat, they're not taking a "shortcut". They're operating in the most natural, intuitive way. And it's effective, too.

Very few people in the history of mankind have ever been in a position where they were required to add any operational complexity to the equation. And even they could dispense with the complexity, almost all of the time.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 11:43 PM   #100
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

It's not an operational short cut, though. For almost all of human history, it's been a practical reality. Even today for almost everyone, almost all of the time, it's still a practical reality.

When people treat the earth as flat, they're not taking a "shortcut". They're operating in the most natural, intuitive way. And it's effective, too.

Very few people in the history of mankind have ever been in a position where they were required to add any operational complexity to the equation. And even they could dispense with the complexity, almost all of the time.
Did you perhaps miss the part where I was agreeing with you? It's okay, I had trouble with it as well.

Only Zuul.
Old 11th May 2017, 12:41 AM   #101
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Well, if you don't get outdoors much, never travel, and never communicate with people elsewhere in the world, then perhaps yes.

But if you want to understand why the sun rises and sets, why there are tides and seasons, and have an idea of what to expect from weather systems, then you need to know that Earth is round.

And if you travel by sea or air, even long distances over land, or if you want to communicate across time-zones, it is absolutely essential to know.

Hans
Old 11th May 2017, 12:54 AM   #102
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Except they already did by extrapolating to "earth." In other than man-made structures, I find the near-me to be other than flat - it's actually quite bumpy on small scales. I only get "flat" if I expend some effort to create it.
marplots is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 01:04 PM   #103
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

If the Earth was flat, cats would push everything off by now. QED.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 01:44 PM   #104
p0lka
Muse

yeah, well how come all the maps of the earth don't show the correct size of things?
/sarcasm
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 02:13 PM   #105
The Greater Fool
Master Poster

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
If the Earth was flat, cats would push everything off by now. QED.
Checkmate, Flat Earthers.
Old 15th May 2017, 02:25 PM   #106
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

I don't know if anyone has mentioned him yet, but the guy with the long, red hair and the headband is engaging in parody. His channel is called AwakenWithJP, and he's got some pretty funny stuff. Here's one of my favorites about being "gluten intolerant".
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.

Last edited by Foster Zygote; 15th May 2017 at 02:27 PM.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 05:14 PM   #107
deadrose
Master Poster

Darn, I read through this whole thread so I could use the cat joke, only to find I'd been ninja'ed by 4 hours.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2017, 05:18 AM   #108
Tomtomkent
Philosopher

My favorite trend is for flat earth advocates to argue big things, like railways, don't curve around the Earth because they are the same height above sea level at either end. Apparently the idea of the sea curving around a sphere makes no sense.

This lead to at least one video of a guy complaining rivers should not flow North, as water can not flow uphill.

Never look up an E-book because this signature line told you. Especially not Dead Lament (ASIN: B00JEN1MWY). Or A Little Trouble (ASIN: B00GQFZZQW).
Tomtomkent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2017, 06:10 AM   #109
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Tomtomkent View Post
My favorite trend is for flat earth advocates to argue big things, like railways, don't curve around the Earth because they are the same height above sea level at either end. Apparently the idea of the sea curving around a sphere makes no sense.

This lead to at least one video of a guy complaining rivers should not flow North, as water can not flow uphill.
I saw a guy claim that the Mississippi River would have to flow thousands oof feet uphill before going back down. It demonstrates such a profound ignorance of physics that it took me a little while to unpack what he even meant.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2017, 09:48 PM   #110
fibbermcgee
Scholar

How do they explain radar loss at about 200 miles?
fibbermcgee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2017, 08:43 AM   #111
JesseCuster
Muse

Originally Posted by Tomtomkent View Post
On more than one occasion I've read Flat Earthers say "It's called sea level, not sea curve, for a reason!"
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2017, 08:58 AM   #112
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by fibbermcgee View Post
Well considering emg in atmosphere goes anything but straight, I think this is least of their worries ..
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2017, 01:09 PM   #113
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by fibbermcgee View Post
They explain it as voodoo. Unflatearthly evil spirits lurk beyond the Two Hundred Mile Zone™ and no wise man has dared go see where all others have only perished. Either that or the earth is round.

Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
On more than one occasion I've read Flat Earthers say "It's called sea level, not sea curve, for a reason!"
"It is anchorman, not anchorlady! And that is a scientific fact!"
Old 17th May 2017, 10:11 PM   #114
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I see a lot of non-flat-earthers here asking other non-flat-earthers what flat-earthers believe. Seems to me that if you want a real answer to your questions about what flat-earthers believe, non-flat-earthers possibly aren't the best people to be asking.

I know that Marsh has had at least one flat-earther on the Be Reasonable podcast. You might want to try that out if you want a real answer.

Only Zuul.
Old 17th May 2017, 11:49 PM   #115
Roboramma
Philosopher

I see a lot of non-flat-earthers here asking other non-flat-earthers what flat-earthers believe. Seems to me that if you want a real answer to your questions about what flat-earthers believe, non-flat-earthers possibly aren't the best people to be asking.

I know that Marsh has had at least one flat-earther on the Be Reasonable podcast. You might want to try that out if you want a real answer.
Are you suggesting that any specific answers given here are wrong? Because it's not necessarily true that asking someone who believes something to explain his beliefs is preferable to asking someone else who has looked into those beliefs but doesn't believe them.

I'd even suggest that someone from the outside often has more clarity about a set of beliefs than those on the inside, though certainly that's not always the case. There's also the issue of honesty. For instance if you want to understand the Intelligent Design movement, you are actually better of talking to their critics than those who espouse it, because they are deliberately deceitful about the nature of their beliefs.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 12:48 AM   #116
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Are you suggesting that any specific answers given here are wrong?
I'm really not sure how you got to there from anything I said.

Only Zuul.
Old 18th May 2017, 01:31 AM   #117
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

I think most of us have some idea about that they believe, but I agree that it is not very interesting to discuss what we all think they think.

And it seems the flat-earthers visiting this forum (and there are some) do at least have enough common sense to stay low.

Hans
Old 18th May 2017, 01:51 AM   #118
Roboramma
Philosopher

I'm really not sure how you got to there from anything I said.
I didn't, that's why I asked.

What I did get was that you suggested that we'd be better to ask flat earthers what they believe than asking non-flat earthers what flat-earthers believe. But if the non-flat earthers aren't actually wrong about anything they are saying, I'm not seeing why you think it's a bad idea.

The relevant quality isn't who believes what, but instead what they know about others' beliefs.
Isaac Asimov
Old 18th May 2017, 03:22 PM   #119
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I didn't, that's why I asked.

What I did get was that you suggested that we'd be better to ask flat earthers what they believe than asking non-flat earthers what flat-earthers believe. But if the non-flat earthers aren't actually wrong about anything they are saying, I'm not seeing why you think it's a bad idea.

The relevant quality isn't who believes what, but instead what they know about others' beliefs.
The point isn't that the non-flat-earthers are actually wrong, it's that we don't know whether they're wrong or not.

Only Zuul.
Old 18th May 2017, 03:28 PM   #120
p0lka
Muse

good point,
creating an echo chamber is never a good idea.

its not flat though.

Last edited by p0lka; 18th May 2017 at 03:30 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal