ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th May 2017, 05:53 PM   #1
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Music player that shows artist w/song title (and hopefully album art) prominently?

Whacha got? Kinda like MS media player, which gets me by, but they show the album art relatively small in the middle (not a big) and the other stuff very tiny at the upper left (this sucks more)...basically it's for parties, I've had people wonder what this or that was I was playing and would like them to be able to glance at the PC (or maybe the TV if I hook it up) w/o having to strain their eyeballs.

Anything better in this regard than MS media player, which of course I can set up playlists and play randomly?
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2017, 06:38 PM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bigred View Post
Whacha got? Kinda like MS media player, which gets me by, but they show the album art relatively small in the middle (not a big) and the other stuff very tiny at the upper left (this sucks more)...basically it's for parties, I've had people wonder what this or that was I was playing and would like them to be able to glance at the PC (or maybe the TV if I hook it up) w/o having to strain their eyeballs.

Anything better in this regard than MS media player, which of course I can set up playlists and play randomly?
Amazon Music Player. Prominent album art, title, and artist.

It will play music files from non-Amazon sources. It will download and upload most music. I have playlists that include ripped MP3s, that I have uploaded and the player plays them back from anywhere - - phone app, web browser, etc.

The only flaw I see in it is that it doesn't do a great job of finding artist and album art for the non Amazon music you feed it. So you have to do some work on your side to include that data.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2017, 10:22 PM   #3
GodMark2
Graduate Poster

MediaMonkey.

It has a "Party" display mode specifically designed for exactly this: Shows the current (plus past and next few) song info on a password-locked screen. If you supply a playlist, it follows that, but also allows for 'semi-random' automatic song playing using criteria like "rated 4-star or higher in the Blues genre and not played in the past month". It keeps a list of everything played for that session, allowing you to send out full playlists to people that want one after the party is over. With some plugins, it can also send different audio streams to different outputs: e.g. the playlist to the speakers, and a single-play select to the headphones (to assist live playlist changes).

Someone a while back made a plugin to send the file data out to a USB-enabled LED dot-matrix sign, but that required some leet hax.

(Do the hip kids still say leet hax?).
Old 9th May 2017, 12:57 PM   #4
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Sounds familiar, I think came up in discussion before when I was looking for a media player in general......not sure why I didn't try offhand. Will check out, thx
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 02:21 AM   #5
Sceptic-PK
Illuminator

Sounds familiar, I think came up in discussion before when I was looking for a media player in general......not sure why I didn't try offhand. Will check out, thx
Yeah, I suggested it in your last media player thread. It took me far, far too long to work out how to stop MM doing what you're after, haha. So yes, it's another vote for Media Monkey from me. You can also click on the track that's playing and it will take you shopping.
Sceptic-PK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 05:48 PM   #6
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Tried it; this isn't really much different from MS Media Player....slightly inferior, actually. It shows the album art in an even smaller window in the lower right vs the (logical) center of the screen and has this huge gaping empty space in the middle for no reason I can fathom. Dunno what crack addict designed that logic for "party mode," but I'll pass on his parties. Thx for the suggestion all the same though.
Old 10th May 2017, 11:36 PM   #7
Pantaz
Muse

Been using foobar2000 (freeware) on Windows and Android. The Android version prominently displays the album art while playing. The Windows version can display the album art, but it wasn't visible with the default settings, (if I recall correctly.) It's just a couple of mouse clicks to select a different layout that does show the album art.

http://www.foobar2000.org/

My decision making skills closely resemble that of a squirrel when crossing the street.
- Bill Murray
Pantaz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2017, 03:01 AM   #8
Sceptic-PK
Illuminator

Tried it; this isn't really much different from MS Media Player....slightly inferior, actually. It shows the album art in an even smaller window in the lower right vs the (logical) center of the screen and has this huge gaping empty space in the middle for no reason I can fathom. Dunno what crack addict designed that logic for "party mode," but I'll pass on his parties. Thx for the suggestion all the same though.
I get that you want something quick and easy so MM is probably too complicated for you, but you can move that pop-up to anywhere on the screen. MM is extremely versatile but does take a bit of effort from the user.

You can add album art separately from that pop-up, which on my 42" TV is displayed at 10"x 10" and is easily read.

Or you can configure the default visualisations for parties to have the song details on-screen at all times (which I suspect just about every player does so you should be able to take this option with WMP).

That said, I have Windows at 175% size as I play from the couch, so I am unsure how easily read any player is under normal conditions.
Sceptic-PK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2017, 05:08 AM   #9
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sceptic-PK View Post
I get that you want something quick and easy so MM is probably too complicated for you, but you can move that pop-up to anywhere on the screen. MM is extremely versatile but does take a bit of effort from the user.
Apparently you're using a different version than me. There is no "pop up."

I also recall now why I dismissed it before. It's a POS. Looks OK on the surface, but when you actually go to use it....yeah, g/l with that.
Old 15th May 2017, 02:59 AM   #10
Sceptic-PK
Illuminator

Apparently you're using a different version than me. There is no "pop up."
Nah, it'd be the same version. I've just spent a bit of time configuring it and learning what the options do (as well as the aforementioned 175% W10 setting).

I also recall now why I dismissed it before. It's a POS. Looks OK on the surface, but when you actually go to use it....yeah, g/l with that.
Nope, it's an excellent, powerful piece of software but one that requires a little investment from the user to get the most from the experience. As I said, this might not suit your needs (which is fair enough), but don't criticise software just because you can't be bothered to learn how it works.

Probably lost on a small screen, but you get the point:

http://imgur.com/a/TIPmn

Last edited by Sceptic-PK; 15th May 2017 at 03:01 AM.
Old 15th May 2017, 03:30 AM   #11
Worm
Graduate Poster

Kodi?

Generally seen as a video player, but does good work with music too (in my experience)

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 04:56 PM   #12
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sceptic-PK View Post
Nah, it'd be the same version. I've just spent a bit of time configuring it and learning what the options do (as well as the aforementioned 175% W10 setting).
I spent as much time as should be required for such basic expectations if not more. Clearly they have some Microsoft UX people on staff.

Quote:
Nope, it's an excellent, powerful piece of software
Nope, it's a user-unfriendly POS. But believe otherwise if it makes you happy.

Quote:
don't criticise software just because you can't be bothered to learn how it works.
It's poorly designed and the criticism is therefore well merited. Don't criticize someone or make assumptions just because you disagree with their conclusions.

Quote:
you get the point
Since this isn't really much better than MS media player, you only backed my point, not yours.
Old 19th May 2017, 01:19 AM   #13
Sceptic-PK
Illuminator

You should have included 'suitable for a (blind) tech nuffie' in your OP.

Last edited by Sceptic-PK; 19th May 2017 at 01:28 AM.
Old 19th May 2017, 03:50 PM   #14
GodMark2
Graduate Poster

I spent as much time as should be required for such basic expectations if not more. Clearly they have some Microsoft UX people on staff.

Nope, it's a user-unfriendly POS. But believe otherwise if it makes you happy.

It's poorly designed and the criticism is therefore well merited. Don't criticize someone or make assumptions just because you disagree with their conclusions.

Since this isn't really much better than MS media player, you only backed my point, not yours.
It would be easier if you actually, you know, explained the data behind your conclusions. This post is a prime example of what the E' (see thread in SMMT) refers to as 'context free conclusions'.

We know you don't like it. We know you have some (vague, undefined) problem with the interface. It does meet the criteria listed in your OP. Without knowing more specifics, it's hard to give better suggestions.

Also, your acerbic and combative attitude makes it really hard to want to bother helping.

Last edited by GodMark2; 19th May 2017 at 03:51 PM.
GodMark2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet