ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags classified information , donald trump , national security issues , Trump controversies

Old 15th May 2017, 02:33 PM   #1
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

Breaking: WaPo goes public with evidence of Trump disclosing classified information

This is like 20 minutes old as I type this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...em-much-worse/

The Usurper gave away code-word classified data to the Russians in their private WH meeting. Possibility of source exposure of allied assets.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 02:36 PM   #2
TraneWreck
Philosopher

But....But...those emails...
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 02:46 PM   #3
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
No, it's okay; he didn't email it to a private server.

And anyway, if the President does it, it's not a crime.

Originally Posted by Washington Post
In his meeting with Lavrov, Trump seemed to be boasting about his inside knowledge of the looming threat. “I get great intel. I have people brief me on great intel every day,” Trump said, according to an official with knowledge of the exchange.

Trump went on to discuss aspects of the threat that the United States only learned through the espionage capabilities of a key partner.
This could have gone in the thread about Trump's narcissistic personality disorder.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 02:48 PM   #4
madurobob
Philosopher

Boy, I guess he better hope there are no tapes of *that* conversation...
Old 15th May 2017, 02:49 PM   #5
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
Sometimes you just let it hang out.

Quote:
A story about President Trump’s bodyguard Keith Schiller, Redmond said, was accompanied by a photograph of the two of them walking on White House grounds. The bodyguard was holding a stack of papers, and, according to the caller, on the outside of those papers was a yellow sticky note that said “Jim, Mad Dog, Mattis” and had a phone number.

This of course sounds impossible. Way more care than that is taken around the president, right? The Secret Service is good at secrecy, generally. So I thanked the guy for the call and dubiously pulled up the photo in question. With the monitor turned 90 degrees and the photo blown up, indeed, I could make out a number and what might be “Jim, Mad Dog, Mattis,” if you have better eyesight than mine even when I squint.

I called. I got the voice mail. It was him.

Yes, of course, the president’s bodyguard — the guy famous for punching someone outside of Trump Tower, the guy who according to the story has the president’s complete trust — is employing the yellow sticky note system of information security. I got the tingly sensation that means someone important should know this and told my co-worker Anna and then my boss and one of the reporters who wrote the article.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 02:55 PM   #6
Tony Stark
Philosopher

If Hillary did this Republicans would demand that she be executed. But because it was Trump, they won't care.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 03:01 PM   #7
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
If Hillary did this Republicans would demand that she be executed. But because it was Trump, they won't care.
Can we just have him shoot someone on Fifth Avenue so we can watch them defend it? Republicans are essentially leveraging a treasonous president to get tax cuts and dismantle social safety net.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 03:07 PM   #8
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

If true, is this enough?

If not true, ouch.
Old 15th May 2017, 03:08 PM   #9
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.2ef4178d8b93

It was during that meeting, officials said, that Trump went off script and began describing details of an Islamic State terrorist threat related to the use of laptop computers on aircraft.

For almost anyone in government, discussing such matters with an adversary would be illegal. As president, Trump has broad authority to declassify government secrets, making it unlikely that his disclosures broke the law.

“The president and the foreign minister reviewed common threats from terrorist organizations to include threats to aviation,” said H.R. McMaster, the national security adviser, who participated in the meeting. “At no time were any intelligence sources or methods discussed, and no military operations were disclosed that were not already known publicly.”
Looks like it wasn't exactly the secret D-Day plans.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 03:08 PM   #10
Tony Stark
Philosopher

BuzzFeed confirms.

Quote:
Two US officials who were briefed on Trump’s disclosures last week confirmed to BuzzFeed News the veracity of the Post report, with one official noting that “it’s far worse than what has already been reported.”
https://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympl...JO#.rtMVMGmbAz
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 03:11 PM   #11
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Brenda Starr is on CNN now saying some of the disclosed information wasn't ours and the US had no right to pass it on.

There was more involved here than the information because it revealed techniques and sources.

The Republicans are stalling before condemning Trump, saying they don't know if the story was true yet.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 15th May 2017 at 03:13 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 03:12 PM   #12
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post

Did you have to quote Nixon?
Old 15th May 2017, 03:12 PM   #13
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
This is like 20 minutes old as I type this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...em-much-worse/

The Usurper gave away code-word classified data to the Russians in their private WH meeting. Possibility of source exposure of allied assets.
This is just Trump being smart. See how he's making the Leftists upset! Silly emotional leftists!

/s

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 03:13 PM   #14
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
This is just Trump being smart.
The Russians can't hack our secrets if we just tell them our secrets.
Old 15th May 2017, 03:16 PM   #15
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
The Russians can't hack our secrets if we just tell them our secrets.
This wasn't even our secret. It was given to the US by an ally.

This will make allies more wary about sharing intel with the US. Why tell the US if the president of the United States will blab about it to the Russians.
Old 15th May 2017, 03:20 PM   #16
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

This could have gone in the thread about Trump's narcissistic personality disorder.
I am surprised that argument hasn't already been posted in this thread! As noted in other threads in this regard: (1) intent can turn a legal function of the Presidency into an illegal one, and (2) even if it is legal doesn't mean that it is not a horrible, dangerous, stupid, and absolutely idiotic idea.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 03:20 PM   #17
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Uh, no. it was worse than that. Codeword classification is one of the highest most sensitive types of classification. This was stuff that was not even to be shared with some allies.

Quote:
This is information that current and former U.S. officials say could jeopardize a valuable source of intelligence in the fight against ISIS and give an adversarial Russia a strategic advantage in Syria, where its goals are different from ours. If there is something worse Trump could have done in that meeting, I'm not sure what it would be.
Quote:
according to the officials, Trump relayed information from an intelligence-sharing arrangement that is so sensitive that some details aren't even shared with U.S. allies or broadly within the U.S. government.

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I am surprised that argument hasn't already been posted in this thread! As noted in other threads in this regard: (1) intent can turn a legal function of the Presidency into an illegal one.
So can receiving party. Roosevelt could decide to share classified info with Churchill and be fine. Sharing it with Hitler...not so much, no matter what rationalization.

Last edited by ChristianProgressive; 15th May 2017 at 03:24 PM.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 03:21 PM   #18
Stacko
Philosopher

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

CNN: WaPo's Trump-Russia report
MSNBC: WaPo's Trump-Russia report
Fox News: "Trump's pledge to police"
Old 15th May 2017, 03:28 PM   #19
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

This could be one of those "where were you" moments.
Old 15th May 2017, 03:30 PM   #20
Stacko
Philosopher

NYT also confirms the story.
Old 15th May 2017, 03:31 PM   #21
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Had to check... they've switched over.

To Krauthammer downplaying the incident.
eta: Tillerson handwaves it away also.

Incredible... Trump burns an intelligence asset (a Gov't*, not a person, thankfully) and the GOPers say... "meh".

*though as mentioned above, this may have a chilling effect on any allied gov't sharing their intel with us.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 15th May 2017 at 03:39 PM.
Jim_MDP is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 03:33 PM   #22
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

I AGREE

nm..darn ninja
Old 15th May 2017, 03:37 PM   #23
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

The president has the power to declassify whatever he wants.

The very act of him sharing it declassifies it.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 15th May 2017 at 03:39 PM.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 03:38 PM   #24
Stacko
Philosopher

Reported fact-chain: 1) Comey requests more $ for Russia probe 2) Trump cans Comey 3) Trump invites Russians to Oval, divulges state secrets
Old 15th May 2017, 03:39 PM   #25
Stacko
Philosopher

The Republican party should apologize to ghosts of Alger Hiss and the Rosenbergs.
Old 15th May 2017, 03:40 PM   #26
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post

I was hoping otherwise but now my prediction is fulfilled.

Last edited by Giordano; 15th May 2017 at 03:41 PM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 03:41 PM   #27
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Oh silly- I can explain that all! How much are you willing to pay me to do so? And is there a convent shower for me to use after I do so?
Old 15th May 2017, 03:43 PM   #28
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

So can receiving party. Roosevelt could decide to share classified info with Churchill and be fine. Sharing it with Hitler...not so much, no matter what rationalization.
I don't think there is a legal issue in the case, either.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 03:43 PM   #29
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

"We have awesome nuclear launch codes in Russia. So much better than yours."

"Oh yeah! Get that football in here and we'll show him who has the best launch codes!"
Old 15th May 2017, 03:45 PM   #30
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

I am surprised that argument hasn't already been posted in this thread! As noted in other threads in this regard: (1) intent can turn a legal function of the Presidency into an illegal one, and (2) even if it is legal doesn't mean that it is not a horrible, dangerous, stupid, and absolutely idiotic idea.
I don't think that would apply in this case. While it would make him guilty of other crimes (bribery, etc) I don't think any action can make him guilty of violating classification laws.
Old 15th May 2017, 03:45 PM   #31
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

EEEENNNNHHHHH! Wrong, but thanks for playing. The rules regarding classified information have several requirements that have to be met. Type and grade of classification of material and level of clearance of intended recipient. Most importantly, Need to Know. Even if you are cleared for a certain level of access does not mean you can just access anything you want if you don't need to know.
Old 15th May 2017, 03:47 PM   #32
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

I don't think there is a legal issue in the case, either.
So the Russian Ambassador and their top US spy have both the clearance and Need to Know this information?
Old 15th May 2017, 03:48 PM   #33
Tony Stark
Philosopher

EEEENNNNHHHHH! Wrong, but thanks for playing. The rules regarding classified information have several requirements that have to be met. Type and grade of classification of material and level of clearance of intended recipient. Most importantly, Need to Know. Even if you are cleared for a certain level of access does not mean you can just access anything you want if you don't need to know.
The president is the ultimate authority regarding classified information. This probably wasn't illegal in and of itself.
Old 15th May 2017, 03:48 PM   #34
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Oh silly- I can explain that all! How much are you willing to pay me to do so? And is there a convent shower for me to use after I do so?
You want to take a shower in a convent? What kind of sick pervert are you, anyway?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 03:48 PM   #35
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

http://uchicagolaw.typepad.com/facul...ential_de.html

Quote:
It appears to be true that the President has the legal authority to declassify classified materials however he chooses. This conclusion is supported by dicta in Department of Navy v. Egan, 484 US 518 (1988), and it is consistent with the historical fact that classification and declassification decisions have been made by the President. (On the relevance of historical facts, see Justice Frankfurter's separate opinion in The Steel Seizure Case.) To be sure, Congress might have the power to limit the President's power to classify and declassify (though the President is likely to resist any such limitation on constitutional grounds) -- but no such limitation appears to be in place.
Old 15th May 2017, 03:49 PM   #36
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by madurobob View Post
Boy, I guess he better hope there are no tapes of *that* conversation...
You mean apart from the one the Russians made?
Old 15th May 2017, 03:49 PM   #37
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Well I'm sure that makes it all better with the ally who now has their spies and sources burned possibly to be tortured then executed.
Old 15th May 2017, 03:54 PM   #38
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
The president is the ultimate authority regarding classified information. This probably wasn't illegal in and of itself.
Trump's freaking motto.

"Probably wasn't illegal"
Old 15th May 2017, 03:56 PM   #39
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Well I'm sure that makes it all better with the ally who now has their spies and sources burned possibly to be tortured then executed.
People need to stop treating an argument of legal fact as endorsement.
Old 15th May 2017, 03:59 PM   #40
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

http://www.dhra.mil/perserec/osg/s1class/need.htm

No exception for President indicated

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics