IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th April 2013, 03:55 AM   #1
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Any archivists out there?

Quote:
ar·chive noun \ˈär-ˌkīv\
: a place in which public records or historical documents are preserved; also : the material preserved —often used in plural
: a repository or collection especially of information
I am the current owner of Hyperwar, a modest effort at collection documents related to WWII. Anybody else doing anything along those lines?
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2013, 04:52 AM   #2
MaGZ
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post
I am the current owner of Hyperwar, a modest effort at collection documents related to WWII. Anybody else doing anything along those lines?
Could you provide a history of how this site came about and some of the highlights?
MaGZ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2013, 04:58 AM   #3
Gawdzilla Sama

Originally Posted by MaGZ View Post
Could you provide a history of how this site came about and some of the highlights?
Simple enough, Patrick Clancey and I got started during Desert Shield, when I was at Purdue. People were citing various documents that they had obviously never read or even seen the whole of, so we started putting them online. From there it just got out of control.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2013, 01:19 AM   #4
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Probably not what you are thinking about, but I have been part of a group scanning in old comic books for archive purposes. It does not sound like much but probably somewhere close to 99% of all the comics published in the US have now been scanned. I personally have a collection of over 100,000 scanned comics and the only reason I don't have more is that I stopped when I realized I could never read all the ones I have in the lifetime I have remaining.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2013, 04:41 AM   #5
Gawdzilla Sama

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Probably not what you are thinking about, but I have been part of a group scanning in old comic books for archive purposes. It does not sound like much but probably somewhere close to 99% of all the comics published in the US have now been scanned. I personally have a collection of over 100,000 scanned comics and the only reason I don't have more is that I stopped when I realized I could never read all the ones I have in the lifetime I have remaining.
We're flexible. And if you extend that idea out to the vast amount of material available on WWII you'll get an idea what I feel like. I just installed two 3 terabyte drives as backups for Hyperwar.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts