IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , political speculation

Old 14th November 2016, 02:20 PM   #401
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
I agree, he'll be a disaster.

My point is that blistering criticism of wide swaths of people who's circumstances you seem unwilling to understand is not mitigated by a half-sentence qualifier at the end.
I hope that my explanation cleared that up. I agree that these folk believed they were making a vote in their interest. I find it extraordinarily unlikely that a Trump presidency will really improve their circumstances over a Clinton presidency. Rather, I believe that most of them made a clearly wrong choice.

The fact that you agree that Trump will likely be a disaster suggests that you agree with my claim. A disastrous presidency will not benefit most of the people who voted for Trump.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2016, 02:21 PM   #402
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I agree, he'll be a disaster.

My point is that blistering criticism of wide swaths of people who's circumstances you seem unwilling to understand is not mitigated by a half-sentence qualifier at the end.

ETA: Okay, now I see your intent was to indicate a few rich people might benefit. I was coming at it from the reasoning of people who believed voting for him to be in their benefit.
Sorry, I responded to your earlier post, without the ETA.

I obviously agree that most persons voting for Trump believed that this vote was in their interest.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2016, 02:22 PM   #403
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I hope that my explanation cleared that up. I agree that these folk believed they were making a vote in their interest. I find it extraordinarily unlikely that a Trump presidency will really improve their circumstances over a Clinton presidency. Rather, I believe that most of them made a clearly wrong choice.
But he is going to end gay marriage and abortion. That is a good reason to vote for the racist right?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2016, 02:23 PM   #404
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
The message that you (and many other democrats in this thread) are sending is that if people disagree with you, they're dumb, ignorant, deserving of scorn, and should be ignored.

That's a very short-sighted, exclusionary, and full-of-fail song to be singing.
The message should be that it is easy to disagree in no uncertain terms with unyielding ideology, stodgy dogma, magical thinking, faith-based reasoning, incessant model-gazing in economics and other social sciences, and so on... That way, one only heaps scorn when and where due.

Which, in today's world, has names like Farage, Trump, Le Pen, and Wilders. These are the kind of leaders who sing swan songs and mesmerize the... mesmerizable. I'd say fart cushions and popped paper bags without warning are in great need these days, just to do one's civic duty. It's unpleasant at first, but from time to time, people snap out of it. History does have its examples to learn from, and some of them are worth avoiding.

Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 14th November 2016 at 02:50 PM. Reason: ANOTHER HOMONYM FOR OLD MEN TO MESS UP
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2016, 02:32 PM   #405
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
As is Obama's class. I think very few would be as magnanimous with an idiot like Trump.
Obama, the first African American President, has to give Remedial Presidency lessons to a racist who called him an affirmative-action admit to Harvard. It's a fitting example of how minorities and African Americans in particular are treated in the US.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2016, 02:33 PM   #406
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
Yeah. That's why you don't go to a career doctor for your health, or a career mechanic for your car's.

And why you're clearly upset with career politicians like Mike Pence and Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell and...
I am. You might really want to stop making assumptions about me.

Seriously, this is a stupid argument. She's been a two-term U.S. Senator and Secretary of State. That's called "experience". Trump has no experience in national service and has repeatedly demonstrated he does not understand how the Federal government operates. But that's OK; after all, he didn't know anything about airlines and look how successful he was with Trump Shuttle.
I contend that it's experience at how to make back-room deals, how to lobby, how to make hand-shake agreements with big corporations so they'll help them get elected to a higher office next cycle, so they can climb that ladder and be the one who wins. It's not necessarily experience in actively working for the betterment of their constituents and the citizenry at large.

It's a whole host of "experienced politicians" letting the government get shut down so federal employees don't get paid... because that's a powerful bargaining chip. Not because it's actual real people who are being punished for their "experienced politician" pissing match or anything.

And now you're the judge of what people do in their marriages, and an expert on exactly what went on between the Clintons.

Personally, I'm more offended by people who go through spouses like Kleenex, like Groper-Elect Trump and senior advisers like Giuliani and Gingrich.

But you go right ahead and feel virtuous because you voted against the experienced, monogamous candidate.
I'm offended by people who cheat on their spouses. I'm even more offended by women who are expected to forgive those wandering spouses and stick by their men. I'm even more offended when one of those women is hypothetically supposed to represent strides forward for women's rights.
Old 14th November 2016, 02:35 PM   #407
Emily's Cat

By the way, Emily's Cat, did you criticize Obama for his lack of experience when he first ran for President?
No, I didn't. I had hope that he might not yet be a part of the machine.
Old 14th November 2016, 02:36 PM   #408
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
There is rather a big difference, one is categorizing people by their actions not their origin. I figure lots of them are nice people, they are just nice people who are comfortable voting for misogynistic racists.
I see the difference plain as day.

But it's a distinction without a difference in the mind of a person who is fairly certain they were just insulted and aren't listening to you any more.

ETA: Preemptive statement to say that if you think telling them that they deserved said insult is going to work, you might still not be getting the point. Reminder: the point is that if you are out of power, what good does it do?

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 14th November 2016 at 02:38 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2016, 02:38 PM   #409
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

The message that you (and many other democrats in this thread) are sending is that if people disagree with you, they're dumb, ignorant, deserving of scorn, and should be ignored.

That's a very short-sighted, exclusionary, and full-of-fail song to be singing.
When there are only 2 realistic options; and one of them is dumb, ignorant, and deserving of scorn; it should be ignored. Selection of the ignorant choice is short-sighted and will result in all kinds of embarrassing fail.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2016, 02:38 PM   #410
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
At the moment I am more feeling sorry for you - nothing I said was meant to start a fight with good people. Trump is not and never will be good people. His white house people will never be good people. The republicker senators and representatives that will work to ruin this country are not good people. And the people who are not simply misguided and mislead by the Trumpers but actually are racists, homophobes, anti-women, etc. are not good people. None of them should represent the US but now they will.

Thus I have no interest in their continued existence and will not care if same does not occur. They deserve the same that came to Hitler and his followers -and all their like.
I understand your emotion on this. It just seems like an awfully big brush you're using.

ETA: Why are you feeling sorry for me?

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
ETA. And to be very clear, I do not remotely dislike you and I am pretty sure you realize that. I do not in any way consider you a bad person and disagree vehemently with anyone who does!!!!!
Thank you.
Old 14th November 2016, 02:40 PM   #411
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fishbob View Post
When there are only 2 realistic options; and one of them is dumb, ignorant, and deserving of scorn; it should be ignored. Selection of the ignorant choice is short-sighted and will result in all kinds of embarrassing fail.
How did ignoring it work out for us?

We lost.

Yet here we are 'doubling down' on the strategy that resulted in a loss.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2016, 02:41 PM   #412
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
Ironically, I think Bernie Sanders would have beaten Trump if he had run instead of Clinton.

So do I. I would have voted for him, despite thinking that many of his policies were waaaayyy to far to the left for me.
Old 14th November 2016, 02:41 PM   #413
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Isn't he going to "open up" those libel laws to go after journalists and comedians?
That is not going to fly. I doubt we will hear anything more about it.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2016, 02:44 PM   #414
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Do you believe that 1/4 of the population is "deplorable" and "irredeemable"? Do you believe that it is in any way acceptable to treat people in that fashion regardless of what you might believe of them?
Yeah, that's about right.

The only good thing about Trump winning is that some of these **** bags are now a bit more public about it, making it easier to recognize and avoid them.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2016, 02:51 PM   #415
Emily's Cat

Yeah, that's about right.

The only good thing about Trump winning is that some of these **** bags are now a bit more public about it, making it easier to recognize and avoid them.
Speaking as someone who grew up in very culturally diverse places, with a mixed family, I just haven't seen that 1 out of every 4 people I meet is a bigot. It's just not there.

But hey, if it makes you feel better to pretend that a huge swath of your fellow citizens deserve no consideration, no respect, and are perfectly acceptable targets for mockery, derision, and hate... go right ahead. I'm sure it will help win the next election. People really like being insulted, after all.
Old 14th November 2016, 02:53 PM   #416
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Speaking as someone who grew up in very culturally diverse places, with a mixed family, I just haven't seen that 1 out of every 4 people I meet is a bigot. It's just not there.

But hey, if it makes you feel better to pretend that a huge swath of your fellow citizens deserve no consideration, no respect, and are perfectly acceptable targets for mockery, derision, and hate... go right ahead. I'm sure it will help win the next election. People really like being insulted, after all.
You're defending the people that do the insulting.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2016, 02:55 PM   #417
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I guess for some people it is more important for people to sneer at and feel superior to blue collar workers then to win elections.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2016, 02:56 PM   #418
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
That is not going to fly. I doubt we will hear anything more about it.
I wasn't being serious. He has a very low chance of success there, assuming he'd ever try it.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2016, 02:59 PM   #419
Belz...
Fiend God

Well, exit polling doesn't have a category for "labor" or for "regular joes" so I'm using the closest possible data within reach.

Do you have data to support your position?
That what? That poor, unskilled people with no jobs who rose up against the establishment DON'T make up the bulk of Trump's support?

I do actually.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2016, 03:00 PM   #420
Belz...
Fiend God

I guess for some people it is more important for people to sneer at and feel superior to blue collar workers then to win elections.
Haven't we had this conversation already?

Old 14th November 2016, 03:00 PM   #421
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

As someone who grew up in a non-culturally diverse place and has worked in oil-field and construction for a long time, I would not be surprised if the percentage were even higher.
Old 14th November 2016, 03:03 PM   #422
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

How does one win them over? Obviously one could spout the same racist, misogynistic, xenophobic crap that they seem to eat up because reason and logic does not seem to work.

Please explain what can be done? What should Democrats do in the future to garner the 'blue collar worker' vote?

Promise to open more coal mines? Promise free guns? Promise to bring back manufacturing jobs that left 30 years ago? Which lies will they believe next election?
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2016, 03:31 PM   #423
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I'm offended by people who cheat on their spouses.
Well good, that takes one candidate for president off the list.

Quote:
I'm even more offended by women who are expected to forgive those wandering spouses and stick by their men. I'm even more offended when one of those women is hypothetically supposed to represent strides forward for women's rights.
Huh, so a woman is not free to decide whether to continue in her marriage or not after her spouse cheats? That seems very odd. AS if she can't be trusted with such a big decision.

I know several women who caught their husbands cheating. It is about an even split between those who decided to work through it and those who didn't. I wouldn't presume to make that decision for any of them.

And you are more offended that a woman stuck with her husband, whether it be due to religious beliefs or genuine affection, than you are by a man who has cheated on two wives. You really don't expect much of men, do you?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2016, 03:36 PM   #424
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Do you believe that 1/4 of the population is "deplorable" and "irredeemable"? Do you believe that it is in any way acceptable to treat people in that fashion regardless of what you might believe of them?
Do you think most Mexican immigrants are rapists?

Do you think most Muslims are terrorist?

Do you think most blacks live is squalor?

Why did one candidate get to hide behind hyperbole while the other didn't? Because a lot of people actually believe these things.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2016, 03:37 PM   #425
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
How does one win them over? Obviously one could spout the same racist, misogynistic, xenophobic crap that they seem to eat up because reason and logic does not seem to work.

Please explain what can be done? What should Democrats do in the future to garner the 'blue collar worker' vote?

Promise to open more coal mines? Promise free guns? Promise to bring back manufacturing jobs that left 30 years ago? Which lies will they believe next election?
So without Blue Collar support in the Rust Belt how do the Democrats win?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th November 2016, 03:52 PM   #426
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
A likely-empty promise from one candidate still amounts to more attention than the outright derision offered by the other.

THIS.
What amazes me is how so many Liberals just refuse to admit the Democratic Party has a Blue Collar Worker problem.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th November 2016, 04:11 PM   #427
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I see the difference plain as day.

But it's a distinction without a difference in the mind of a person who is fairly certain they were just insulted and aren't listening to you any more.

ETA: Preemptive statement to say that if you think telling them that they deserved said insult is going to work, you might still not be getting the point. Reminder: the point is that if you are out of power, what good does it do?
Oh no I insulted people who are happy that white nationalists are going to be in the white house!

They got what they wanted, they should be happy. They shouldn't be ashamed of who they are. And that is either people to ignorant to know trump had massive ties to white nationists, people who liked that about him or people who didn't care.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2016, 04:12 PM   #428
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Hey being dumb and ignorant is the better option here, otherwise they are at best not bothered by supporting a racist.
Old 14th November 2016, 04:14 PM   #429
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

How did ignoring it work out for us?

We lost.

Yet here we are 'doubling down' on the strategy that resulted in a loss.
This is rural america they are supposed to be all about personal responsibility, then they should accept being held accountable for their votes.
Old 14th November 2016, 04:17 PM   #430
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

That is about the percentage of people who think 9/11 was done by the government. They might well not feel comfortable discussing things around you. It seems at least that high for say my coworkers.
Old 14th November 2016, 04:18 PM   #431
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I don't feel superior to them, just trump voters.
Old 14th November 2016, 04:21 PM   #432
NoahFence
Banned

No, I didn't. I had hope that he might not yet be a part of the machine.
What machine is that? There appear to be two. One that elects articulate and intelligent leaders, and one that.... Trump.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2016, 04:27 PM   #433
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

What is really sad is that this contempt for the Blue Collar Voter is just Playing into the Right's hand.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th November 2016, 04:36 PM   #434
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

What is really sad is that this contempt for the Blue Collar Voter is just Playing into the Right's hand.

And you're another one who isn't getting it. It's not blue-collar workers who are being sneered at. In fact, the blue-collar vote was fairly evenly split between Trump and Clinton. As they were, they were only a small part of Trump's overall support base.

The bulk of Trump's support came from middle- and upper-middle-class white voters. People who are generally better educated and should know better.

Unfortunately, that's also the demographic which tends to believe in conspiracy theories and alt.med; is most likely to be partially or entirely anti-science supporting client-change denialism, creationism, and abstinence-only sex education; and is more likely to be highly religious types involved with Charismatic corporate megachurches like the ones run by Peter Popoff, Benny Hinn, or the late Oral Roberts (rather than the more traditional Roman Catholic or liberal Methodist or Presbyterian churches).
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.

Last edited by luchog; 14th November 2016 at 04:38 PM.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2016, 04:41 PM   #435
luchog

As someone who grew up in a non-culturally diverse place and has worked in oil-field and construction for a long time, I would not be surprised if the percentage were even higher.

As someone who grew up in a moderately culturally-diverse place, I'd not be surprised if the ratio was actually reversed with regards to some forms of bigotry over another.

Hell, even in my current highly-culturally-diverse region, while racism is not as big a problem as it is elsewhere (although worse than many want to admit, as noted by an article I linked to earlier), homo/transphobia is very very common, especially on the east side of the region where I work.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2016, 04:44 PM   #436
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
And you're another one who isn't getting it. It's not blue-collar workers who are being sneered at. In fact, the blue-collar vote was fairly evenly split between Trump and Clinton. As they were, they were only a small part of Trump's overall support base.

The bulk of Trump's support came from middle- and upper-middle-class white voters. People who are generally better educated and should know better.

Unfortunately, that's also the demographic which tends to believe in conspiracy theories and alt.med; is most likely to be partially or entirely anti-science supporting client-change denialism, creationism, and abstinence-only sex education; and is more likely to be highly religious types involved with Charismatic corporate megachurches like the ones run by Peter Popoff, Benny Hinn, or the late Oral Roberts (rather than the more traditional Roman Catholic or liberal Methodist or Presbyterian churches).
Different people define these things in different ways. I saw numbers earlier that showed 200k+ earners (the 5%) and post-graduates went Clinton while high school diploma education level went Trump. On phone now, but it's your premise to prove, anyways.
Old 14th November 2016, 05:00 PM   #437
Belz...
Fiend God

This is at least the second time you drive-by post with something like this today. Could you do a bit more than just the quip, please? How about some evidence that this is a significant part of Trump's appeal?

Old 14th November 2016, 05:07 PM   #438
luchog

Different people define these things in different ways. I saw numbers earlier that showed 200k+ earners (the 5%) and post-graduates went Clinton while high school diploma education level went Trump. On phone now, but it's your premise to prove, anyways.

Already done, if you'd paid attention to the links that have been repeatedly posted by myself and Argumemnon in this thread.
Old 14th November 2016, 05:09 PM   #439
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
That what? That poor, unskilled people with no jobs who rose up against the establishment DON'T make up the bulk of Trump's support?

I do actually.
Are you aware that the charts you linked to are from 7 months ago? And that Trump was trailing Clinton at the time?
Old 14th November 2016, 05:10 PM   #440
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post

Maybe you could pretend to understand and sympathize with their plight. It might get you a little further than mocking them and treating them as if they don't count.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics