IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , political speculation

Old 19th November 2016, 10:47 PM   #961
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
That's not what's being done.
I've done that. I know others who have. Others in this thread have articulated that perspective. Who ate you to make such a sweeping declaration of literally everyone?

Quote:
It can, but very rarely ever does. This election is quite a clear example of bigotry and ignorance badly overriding the voters' clearly atrophied sense of self-preservation.
For some, yes. I agree wholeheartedly. In other cases, voters saw a choice between someone who articulated their point of view against someone who promised to expand even further the very policies that caused their suffering and then taunted them with dismissive, pejorative labels.

I don't agree with that assessment, but I can see how someone might be blinded by desperation into that perspective.

Once again, these people voted for Democrats for decades. So either Democrats were happy to court bigoted voters previously or they suddenly became bigots in the last 4 years. Do any other options leap out at you?

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 19th November 2016 at 10:48 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 10:57 PM   #962
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
I've done that. I know others who have. Others in this thread have articulated that perspective. Who ate you to make such a sweeping declaration of literally everyone?

For some, yes. I agree wholeheartedly. In other cases, voters saw a choice between someone who articulated their point of view against someone who promised to expand even further the very policies that caused their suffering and then taunted them with dismissive, pejorative labels.

I don't agree with that assessment, but I can see how someone might be blinded by desperation into that perspective.

Once again, these people voted for Democrats for decades. So either Democrats were happy to court bigoted voters previously or they suddenly became bigots in the last 4 years. Do any other options leap out at you?
Since the popular vote fluctuates within polling margin of error most elections, and in fact Clinton won the popular vote, it may be simply new people voted this time, while others abstained from voting. This election was a dead heat, meaning little to a statistician. Like Brexit, that tiny margin of voters is cataclysmic. It is, in fact, pure chaos theory, a small change in input leading to huge change in output. There is thus an obvious structural flaw in systems that can allow this. Incremental improvements are ruled out.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 10:59 PM   #963
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Hiring them to write his policies.
No, but cite his cause. Go ahead. I'm waiting.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 11:02 PM   #964
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Think so? I afraid that they will be a cakewalk. I think the Republican congress will defer to Trump to an embarrassing extent.

I hope I'm completely wrong and that I've underestimated the Republicans. Honestly, until this year, there was nothing wrong with being a Republican. I disagreed with them on many issues, but they're decent folk, by and large.

Trump, however, is not decent or competent folk.
Sorry , but Republicans/Republican party was dead by the early 80's and replaced by republickers - thugs and slime beholden to right wing fundy churchthugs. There are no real Republicans now.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 12:43 AM   #965
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

They were the same bigots that voted Republican last time. It was the democrats that didn't turn out to vote.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 01:40 AM   #966
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Since the popular vote fluctuates within polling margin of error most elections, and in fact Clinton won the popular vote, it may be simply new people voted this time, while others abstained from voting. This election was a dead heat, meaning little to a statistician. Like Brexit, that tiny margin of voters is cataclysmic. It is, in fact, pure chaos theory, a small change in input leading to huge change in output. There is thus an obvious structural flaw in systems that can allow this. Incremental improvements are ruled out.
I linked some "union households" data from Penn/Ohio/Mich back a ways that showed a significant drop-off from previous years. This despite assurances from labor officials that all was well just weeks before election day. There are similar 'deltas' in the white/no degree/low-income demographics of various rust belt states. I wasn't particularly even meaning literal individual voters, given the 'broad brush' rhetoric I was responding to.

Though I do agree with the razor-thin margin. The combined number of votes that would have flipped this election is just a bit over 100,000. One county in Ohio, one county in Wisconsin, and 3 counties in Pennsylvania that skewed away from their historical baseline (others did as well, but these are the ones that alone could have made the difference).

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 20th November 2016 at 01:50 AM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 03:09 AM   #967
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

...A good non-cabinet post for him would be Press Secretary.

I would enthusiastically start watching daily briefings. I would schedule my life around them, in fact.
No, Press Secretary will be John Barron.
Old 20th November 2016, 06:20 AM   #968
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Like Brexit, that tiny margin of voters is cataclysmic.
Or, will bring about refreshing change.

Not saying I think it will, but assuming "cataclysmic" is at the very least premature.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 06:22 AM   #969
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Sorry , but Republicans/Republican party was dead by the early 80's and replaced by republickers...
...still far better than libtards!

Again, can you not see how immature name calling is? On a skeptic's site I would hope for a higher level of discourse.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 07:10 AM   #970
Arcade22
Philosopher

A headline in New Zealand probably not noticed in your going to be great again country.

Trump apocalypse - 13,000 Americans register interest in moving to NZ

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11750088
Why, of all places on earth, would you move to New Zealand? Seriously, besides the fact that people speak English, the country is very developed and rich it's really like moving to the moon.

It's in the middle of nowhere and there's nothing interesting going on there at all. Might as well move to Europe where at least something interesting happens (beyond natural disasters such as earth-quakes).

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 07:29 AM   #971
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Damn, man. I was with you right up to the Godwin. :\
Considering who Trump proposed for his cabinet, I consider my ending sentence good use of Godwin. It is pretty much hyperbolic way to say:

No, we will not "wait and see until it is too late".

Last edited by Mader Levap; 20th November 2016 at 07:38 AM.
Mader Levap is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 09:40 AM   #972
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
Considering who Trump proposed for his cabinet, I consider my ending sentence good use of Godwin. It is pretty much hyperbolic way to say:

No, we will not "wait and see until it is too late".
I'm pretty sure gas chambers aren't in the US' future.
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 11:38 AM   #973
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Once again, these people voted for Democrats for decades.

You keep saying that, yet there's no clear evidence of that. 45% of eligible voters did not vote. We know that certain conservative demographics voted in record numbers. We also know that voter suppression was at an all-time high. It's just as likely, if not moreso, that a lot of those voters simply didn't vote, or voted third party, or were prevented from voting by an establishment that has been working very hard for 8 years to disenfranchise them.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 11:40 AM   #974
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

However, a number of Trump staffers have spoken favourably of the WW2 interment camps in the context of "protecting" the US from Muslims.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 12:07 PM   #975
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Or, will bring about refreshing change.

Not saying I think it will, but assuming "cataclysmic" is at the very least premature.
In fact from here I was very glad to see Trump win. My view is that an American Russian alliance to keep China under control is the way forward. We have much to fear in New Zealand from a trade alliance guaranteeing unfettered access to New Zealand farms, houses and residential development land. They are already stripping the seashore of shell fish. The birds of the air will disappear next. Their purchasing power in a country our size is of course quite disproportionate.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 12:13 PM   #976
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
However, a number of Trump staffers have spoken favourably of the WW2 interment camps in the context of "protecting" the US from Muslims.
Reminds me of the plot summary of "The Siege" from 1998:

"After terrorists attack a bus in Brooklyn, a Broadway theater and FBI headquarters, FBI anti-terrorism expert Anthony Hubbard (Denzel Washington) teams up with CIA agent Elise Kraft (Annette Bening) to investigate. Soon, martial law is declared in New York City, and General William Devereaux (Bruce Willis), a sadistic racist, is put in command. When Devereaux begins rounding up Arab-Americans and forcing them into a detention camp, Hubbard and Kraft must fight back in the name of freedom."
Old 20th November 2016, 02:19 PM   #977
fuelair
Banned

As to the initializations, I no longer worry about it as I have no problem with other people's sexuality unless they want to force me to participate. This is, by the by, unlikely.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 02:20 PM   #978
fuelair
Banned

And all I remember is the original LGBT.
Old 20th November 2016, 08:37 PM   #979
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

No, but registration of people in the "wrong" religion is seriously being entertained by people in the Trump camp.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 10:46 PM   #980
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
No, but registration of people in the "wrong" religion is seriously being entertained by people in the Trump camp.
Cite one instance of someone in the Trump camp entertaining such a thing.

Actually, you should probably start by defining "in the Trump camp".
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 10:58 PM   #981
Noztradamus
Illuminator

They were the same bigots that voted Republican last time. It was the democrats that didn't turn out to vote.
Considering the candidate they had, they'll never turn out the vote again.

Quote:
Polls show Hillary Clinton most popular US politician

http://www.clintonhousemuseum.org/co...ularpolitician
Old 20th November 2016, 11:00 PM   #982
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/firs...s-to-register/

I'd say Donald Trump definitely belongs in the Trump camp.

Last edited by thaiboxerken; 20th November 2016 at 11:19 PM.
Old 20th November 2016, 11:00 PM   #983
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Why, of all places on earth, would you move to New Zealand? Seriously, besides the fact that people speak English, the country is very developed and rich it's really like moving to the moon.

It's in the middle of nowhere and there's nothing interesting going on there at all. Might as well move to Europe where at least something interesting happens (beyond natural disasters such as earth-quakes).
Good you got that off your chest.

Firstly, how many European countries are welcoming immigrants? The opposite it seems. Secondly, I'm not a Kiwi (heaven forbid), but if you think nothing interesting happens in NZ, you are badly mistaken. Actually I would put it above Sweden on the excitement stakes.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2016, 03:12 AM   #984
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Good you got that off your chest.

Firstly, how many European countries are welcoming immigrants? The opposite it seems. Secondly, I'm not a Kiwi (heaven forbid), but if you think nothing interesting happens in NZ, you are badly mistaken. Actually I would put it above Sweden on the excitement stakes.
Britain will always welcome a white immigrant.
As long as they are from one of the former Colonies.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2016, 03:16 AM   #985
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Britain will always welcome a white immigrant.
As long as they are from one of the former Colonies.
But wasn't I talking about Europe......

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2016, 03:18 AM   #986
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
But wasn't I talking about Europe......
Well, there's a couple of years left.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2016, 03:24 AM   #987
Belz...
Fiend God

Ah, but do you have any evidence that he is? Huh? Huh?
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2016, 08:10 AM   #988
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
Considering the candidate they had, they'll never turn out the vote again.
Ah, but do you have any evidence that he is? Huh? Huh?
For most politicians they have their minions say the nasty things they want to express but still want some deniability that they ever said it. Trump on the other hand seems to relish saying controversial and often despicable things. It's like he gets some kind of thrill when people say, "Oh, look what Trump said. Can you believe it?"
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2016, 08:26 AM   #989
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/firs...s-to-register/

Thanks! I agree.
Old 4th December 2016, 05:31 PM   #990
fuelair
Banned

...still far better than libtards!

Again, can you not see how immature name calling is? On a skeptic's site I would hope for a higher level of discourse.
I'll take a flyer that you do not remember that the republickers started this when one of their "experts" had them start calling us the Democrat Party instead of our correct for ages name the Democratic Party. We did not like it, now you don't like yours. You would like even less the one I really think of yours as for all the hate and evil they now aspire to.
Old 4th December 2016, 05:54 PM   #991
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
I'll take a flyer that you do not remember that the republickers started this...
No, you started it!

Say that in a Pee Wee Herman voice and that will be close to how that "argument" comes across.
Old 4th December 2016, 10:14 PM   #992
fuelair
Banned

No, you started it!

Say that in a Pee Wee Herman voice and that will be close to how that "argument" comes across.
I don't do impressions. However, it is quite true. I also do research before I start with things like that - so I know when a denier wants to claim I am misstating or just lying I know how to locate the reality.

This is the reality: https://www.quora.com/Why-have-Repub...Democrat-Party
Old 4th December 2016, 10:16 PM   #993
fuelair
Banned

Note, republickers are, in my estimation **** eating motherraping slime with no values and no honor. Republicans weren't, but those days were 34 years ago.
Old 5th December 2016, 05:28 AM   #994
Tero
Master Poster

Will be interesting how Trump's approval rating goes. I think about 50% for 2 years, because polls are answered like votes, the same group will be contacted and some 20-30% will never answer a poll.

End of 4 years, I say about 25% approval. Pence will run for the next term. With Trump campaigning for him and running more Trump rallies.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Tero; 5th December 2016 at 05:30 AM.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2016, 06:40 AM   #995
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Will be interesting how Trump's approval rating goes. I think about 50% for 2 years, because polls are answered like votes, the same group will be contacted and some 20-30% will never answer a poll.

End of 4 years, I say about 25% approval. Pence will run for the next term. With Trump campaigning for him and running more Trump rallies.
Don't think Trump would ever be a side-man
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2016, 09:24 AM   #996
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Don't think Trump would ever be a side-man
Trump will always be a back-door bandit.........
Old 6th December 2016, 06:37 AM   #997
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
What definition of "villain" would one use to exclude President Rapist?
"Not Republican".
Old 6th December 2016, 08:36 AM   #998
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
"Not Republican".
I don't want Trump to be our president. Now that he is, I hope that he'll do a decent job.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2016, 08:39 AM   #999
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I don't excuse this man who has somehow been elected. It's a stain on the Republic, but so it goes.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2016, 05:58 PM   #1000
Marcus
Illuminator

I like President Pussy Grabber, it's catchier.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics