IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Nathan Larson , pedophiles , Virginia elections , Virginia politics

Reply
Old 1st June 2018, 04:26 PM   #41
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,632
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I've not seen conclusive evidence that Trump is a rapist. He claims to have engaged in sexual assault and some have alleged such. His ex also alleged rape, but none of this has been proved.

Don't get me wrong. He's a bastard, but I won't call him a rapist without conclusive evidence.
What would count as "conclusive" evidence to you?
__________________
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 05:13 PM   #42
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 26,394
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
How do you know we hasn't always expressed his views
Because this article describing his previous political office run, in March of last year, indicates that he had kept his more pedophilic views from voters when he was seeking signatures for his candidacy petition at the time. Of his 2008 Congressional run, which was a year before his assassination threats, no articles remain quoting him or describing his positions that I could find; however the fact that he was the nominated Libertarian Party candidate in that election and the fact that he was officially endorsed by the Greens would seem to make it extremely unlikely that he was openly agitating for the legalization of child rape at that time. A wikipedia article about that race describes some extremist-capitalist positions, such as privatizing the military and the interstate highway system; but does not mention white nationalism, political correctness, eliminating spousal rape prohibitions, or any of the other signature alt-right positions he openly espouses lately. In the article I linked in the OP, there are screenshots of posts he made with his admin accounts to his pro-child-rape and pro-incel message boards, and the "joined" timestamps show that those boards were created in August of last year and February of this year respectively. All of this would seem to indicate that his open pedophilia and misogyny are comparatively recent developments that emerged last year and there isn't any evidence suggesting otherwise.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 05:26 PM   #43
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,720
Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
What would count as "conclusive" evidence to you?
Something more than unconfirmed accusations or braggadocio about grabbing pussies.

I'm not sure how to more clearly answer your question.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 06:08 PM   #44
fuelair
Banned
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 58,581
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Something more than unconfirmed accusations or braggadocio about grabbing pussies.

I'm not sure how to more clearly answer your question.
When it is a politician I am going to take them at their word for it on anything bad/wrong/immoral they have done or supported as completely true. Especially republickers!!!!!!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 07:01 PM   #45
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,720
Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
When it is a politician I am going to take them at their word for it on anything bad/wrong/immoral they have done or supported as completely true. Especially republickers!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, well, it's good you declare your standards. Mine are different. (ETA: One major difference is that political affiliation doesn't matter to me.)

In any case, grabbing pussies isn't rape, as rape is usually defined. It's disgusting, grossly immoral and a clear example of sexual assault, but not rape. So even if Trump was telling the truth (a rarity, but totally could be the case), he isn't accurately described as a rapist.

Bill Clinton was accused of rape. I don't call him a rapist because I haven't seen sufficient evidence that he is guilty of rape. Similarly, I won't call Trump a rapist until the evidence is quite clear. I'll call him other things, but not that.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 09:18 PM   #46
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Regnad Kcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 10,240
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Thirty seems a bit high. I bet he's looking for something in the lower teens. But even lower could be fine, apparently.
Snort.
__________________
My heros are Alex Zanardi and Evelyn Glennie.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 10:13 PM   #47
Lambchops
Graduate Poster
 
Lambchops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Norvegr
Posts: 1,384
Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Snort.
Indeed.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 11:10 PM   #48
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 41,468
Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Headline:



OMG see! All the Republicans are sick bastards!


Sentence in actual story:



Oh so it's just some idiot and he's not running as a Repunlican. But hey that headline will get people talking! Who reads the articles if they agree with how I feel?

This headline proves that conservatives are rapists - I mean it's a platform conservatives can get behind, or so I've read in this thread. Critical thinking has left the building.

Some quality journalism going on these days. Hey, I hear racism may still be going on. But that's okay because Starbucks made their employees watch videos of blacks being beaten by cops as part of the racial awareness training.

This is going so well.
Did you just read the OP. The very first response post pointed out that he's not a member of either party and that neither party claims him.

And the first partisan post is Brainster doing one of those fancy dancy "just sayin' " that he's renowned for, trying to create an affinity with the Democrats because, well, it's what partisans do.

The majority of the posts in the thread are people pointing out that he's not supporter by Republicans and isn't associated with the Republican Party nor does he claim to be. There are a couple of "let's extrapolate this to pin it on the other team" posts, but not many.

Your post amounts to one big straw man. You're arguing with a mythical public that is bound to be thinking he's a Republican, 'though no one's said that and if not for his unfortunate choice of mentioning his role model, wouldn't even come up. Even there, he says nothing about having any affinity for the GOP or Trump's policies, just his blustering "the man will say anything" personality.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 07:06 AM   #49
GrandMasterFox
Master Poster
 
GrandMasterFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,422
Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I'm not sure I'd consider "Quasi-neoreactionary libertarian" well defined. Add quasi to anything pretty much makes it ambiguous.
I think it means : I want to be defined as Libertarian, but I was kicked out of there, so I'm using the closet name I can come up with.

Of course I don't understand how can a libertarian be a white supremicist, the 2 seem to be contradicting.

If he's "pro free market" and thinks that it's reasonable for slaves to exist that's one horrible thing but at least it doesn't contradict.

But having specifically calling out whites to be in charge seems like it would require government interference.

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
Roy Moore was also a pedophile. Trump endorsed him.
Roy Moore before anything else was a republican. You know, the party that Trump leads at the moment?

Is there any republican nominee he wouldn't support?

This guy isn't a republican. The odds of Trump supporting him is 0.

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
Roy Moore got a lot of votes, and the pedophilia charges against him were very credible. So I'd say there's a significant portion of conservatives that don't see pedophilia as being a disqualifier.

ETA: He was also endorsed by Trump and I believe the RNC (after some initial misgivings).
As others have said, Moore denied everything. He didn't welcome it and stated what he did like this guy does.

The fact that they deined it means that it is something they have a hard time swallowing*

It's safe to assume there were people yelling "fake news fake news la la la la la we can't hear you" about it.
GrandMasterFox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 04:28 PM   #50
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 26,394
Originally Posted by GrandMasterFox View Post
As others have said, Moore denied everything. He didn't welcome it and stated what he did like this guy does.

The fact that they deined it means that it is something they have a hard time swallowing*

It's safe to assume there were people yelling "fake news fake news la la la la la we can't hear you" about it.
That is certainly true for many of those who voted for him. The fact that he denied the allegations allowed people to claim they were not supporting a pedophile by voting for him; and claims by alt-right media about his accusers being Democrat agents or Hillary Clinton employees or whatnot, provided the necessary "alternative facts" to satisfy them.

But there was a not-insignificant number of supporters who defended him not by calling the allegations "fake news", but by openly saying "so what if he did?" and "14 is not so bad for a man in his 30s". These included a few highly visible media personalities, as well as local religious leaders who described pedophilia as "godly" because "men married young girls a lot in biblical times".
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 04:51 PM   #51
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I live in a swamp
Posts: 22,599
I live in Virginia now and Trump has done nothing to distance himself from this candidate. After his comments to Miss Team USA, why would anyone think Trump isn't supporting this person by his silence? He obviously shares Trump values when it comes to women and girls.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 06:09 PM   #52
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 48,360
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
But that was still in the age of Trump. So why would Trump be the cause here?

Quote:
All of this would seem to indicate that his open pedophilia and misogyny are comparatively recent developments that emerged last year and there isn't any evidence suggesting otherwise.
Perhaps. But there's nothing that ties this development to Trump either. Crazy people have crazy motives. There's little point in trying to develop rational explanations for them. Remember the nut job who shot Giffords? People kept trying to find a way to blame Republicans for that, but his motives had nothing to do with politics, he was just completely insane.

Openly advocating child rape isn't quite that crazy, but it's crazy enough that there's likely nothing coherent behind it. The most coherent possible motive I can imagine is that he just wants to make people angry, and picked about the most offensive platform possible. Adding Trump to the mix might give that an extra boost, since Trump also upsets people, but there's really no point in looking for any meaning or significance in this.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 06:11 PM   #53
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 48,360
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I live in Virginia now and Trump has done nothing to distance himself from this candidate.
Why should Trump give this guy any attention at all? He would likely welcome attention, even a denunciation. He deserves to be ignored at the national level, anything else is probably a reward for him.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 06:18 PM   #54
logger
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 11,145
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Why should Trump give this guy any attention at all? He would likely welcome attention, even a denunciation. He deserves to be ignored at the national level, anything else is probably a reward for him.
This^


Of course there’s always..... But but but Trump!

Last edited by logger; 4th June 2018 at 06:19 PM.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 08:35 PM   #55
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 26,394
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
But that was still in the age of Trump. So why would Trump be the cause here?
Because at that point Trump hasn't endorsed Moore yet. He hadn't yet, in that manner, given the base his permission to support even accused pedophiles so long as they speak the right language.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 08:43 PM   #56
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 48,360
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Because at that point Trump hasn't endorsed Moore yet. He hadn't yet, in that manner, given the base his permission to support even accused pedophiles so long as they speak the right language.
That isn't evidence, it's speculation.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 09:44 PM   #57
batpuncher
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 61
Interview with Larson, not a pleasant person.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
batpuncher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 10:31 PM   #58
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 41,468
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Why should Trump give this guy any attention at all? He would likely welcome attention, even a denunciation. He deserves to be ignored at the national level, anything else is probably a reward for him.
I actually agree with this. Nothing wannabe degenerate claims an affinity with Trump. So what? The story's gone past its best by date, already. Stop giving him attention. He's not going to get any votes and he's not running as a usurper on the Republican ticket, so there's no reason, really, for Trump to even acknowledge him.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 11:44 PM   #59
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 13,505
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I actually agree with this. Nothing wannabe degenerate claims an affinity with Trump. So what? The story's gone past its best by date, already. Stop giving him attention. He's not going to get any votes and he's not running as a usurper on the Republican ticket, so there's no reason, really, for Trump to even acknowledge him.
Except that Trump is a scumbag attention whore who rarely fails to comment on **** that should be none of his damn business (e.g., the NFL). It would be great if once in a while that would include denouncing the worst right wingers, even when they claim common cause with him.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 11:48 PM   #60
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 41,468
Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Except that Trump is a scumbag attention whore who rarely fails to comment on **** that should be none of his damn business (e.g., the NFL). It would be great if once in a while that would include denouncing the worst right wingers, even when they claim common cause with him.
Sure it would be great, but he hasn't given a press conference since godonlyknows when and no one's going to be able to to hang it on him like they did by catching him unawares on the David Duke question.

The clamor (what little of it there is) is falling on deaf ears and it'll play out only having succeeded in putting this ass-wipe's name in the news for a week or two.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2018, 12:08 AM   #61
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I live in a swamp
Posts: 22,599
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Why should Trump give this guy any attention at all? He would likely welcome attention, even a denunciation. He deserves to be ignored at the national level, anything else is probably a reward for him.
If you can tie him to Trump, why wouldn't you?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2018, 12:22 AM   #62
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,321
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Did you just read the OP. The very first response post pointed out that he's not a member of either party and that neither party claims him.

And the first partisan post is Brainster doing one of those fancy dancy "just sayin' " that he's renowned for, trying to create an affinity with the Democrats because, well, it's what partisans do.
Just for the record, here is what I wrote:

Quote:
So I'm going to go with total kook with zero connection to Trump or the Republicans. Only connection to the Democrats is that this is the kind of guy they think should have his voting rights restored.
Slightly unfair, I'll admit; Terry McAwful didn't think about this guy at all before he restored his right to vote and run for office.
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2018, 12:59 AM   #63
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 13,505
The only crimes that should disqualify one from participating in the political process are those that directly threaten the political process: Bribery of public officials, voter fraud, etc. Period.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2018, 05:24 AM   #64
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 48,360
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
If you can tie him to Trump, why wouldn't you?
Not all of us are consumed with partisan rage.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2018, 06:30 AM   #65
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,432
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
If you can tie him to Trump, why wouldn't you?
Personally, still waiting to hear what the difference is. Well, possibly the more upfront pervs and white nationalists are more willing to aid the average straight cis white christian male, while Dolt 45 is really just for the wealthy.

Also, I recall people saying "Hey guys, these nazis are just internet trolls, they aren't anything important" right up until Dolt 45 won and they started shooting people and holding terrorist rallies. That approach doesn't seem to work so well. Maybe it's better to confront them immediately.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2018, 06:39 AM   #66
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14,181
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Personally, still waiting to hear what the difference is. Well, possibly the more upfront pervs and white nationalists are more willing to aid the average straight cis white christian male, while Dolt 45 is really just for the wealthy.

Also, I recall people saying "Hey guys, these nazis are just internet trolls, they aren't anything important" right up until Dolt 45 won and they started shooting people and holding terrorist rallies. That approach doesn't seem to work so well. Maybe it's better to confront them immediately.
No no, that makes you the fascist. I have that on good authority.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2018, 06:47 AM   #67
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 48,360
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
No no, that makes you the fascist. I have that on good authority.
Depends on what "confront" means here. If he means violence, ala Antifa and BAMN, then yes. If he means using speech to denounce him, then no. I suspect he means the latter, but he can correct me if I'm wrong.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2018, 02:51 PM   #68
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 26,394
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
That isn't evidence, it's speculation.
You did ask for my opinion.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2018, 04:57 PM   #69
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions
 
Beerina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 30,357
Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
The only crimes that should disqualify one from participating in the political process are those that directly threaten the political process: Bribery of public officials, voter fraud, etc. Period.

I support the right of felons to vote, not because they're such great people, but for the abstract reason I want it impossible for those in power to lodge themselves there, protected by massive numbers of laws making felons of, and thus disabling, many voters that might kick them from office.

Then I see crap like this guy and I start wtffing.
__________________
"Great innovations should not be forced [by way of] slender majorities." - Thomas Jefferson

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2018, 05:04 PM   #70
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 13,505
Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
I support the right of felons to vote, not because they're such great people, but for the abstract reason I want it impossible for those in power to lodge themselves there, protected by massive numbers of laws making felons of, and thus disabling, many voters that might kick them from office.

Then I see crap like this guy and I start wtffing.
I get the distaste some feel for horrible people being part of the political process, but on the other hand I don't see valid justification for disenfranchising them. Again, I think nobody should lose the vote for being convicted of crimes unrelated to politics. I even take the extreme view that ballots should be provided to criminals in prison.

It's not like this guy has any shot at making sex with minors legal, and even if everyone in prison voted "yay" they wouldn't be able to make their crimes legal. Like it or not, they remain citizens and I don't see a tangible benefit to disenfranchising them.

Last edited by Babbylonian; 5th June 2018 at 05:07 PM.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2018, 05:11 PM   #71
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 28,323
Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
I get the distaste some feel for horrible people being part of the political process, but on the other hand I don't see valid justification for disenfranchising them. Again, I think nobody should lose the vote for being convicted of crimes unrelated to politics. I even take the extreme view that ballots should be provided to criminals in prison.

I too am in favor of suffrage for all adults. Disenfranchisement for felons laws was more of the racist laws post emancipation.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2018, 12:25 AM   #72
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing
 
Puppycow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Posts: 25,767
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Being able to vote, or even being able to run for office, isn't the issue here. As Toontown said, it's the fact that he feels confident running and expressing his political views openly. While the pro-child-molestation stuff is less common, as a right-wing neo-nazi/white-supremacist/misogynist, this fellow is really just another part of the alt-right "bubble", wherein people with this ideology who used to have to keep these kinds of opinions closer to the vest, have now crawled out from under their various rocks and are attempting to become a cultural force, unburdened by the across-the-board condemnation and ridicule that open Nazis dealt even a decade or two ago. And whether or not they agree totally with Donald Trump, or whether they like to call themselves Republican or Democrat or libertarian or independent, like Nathan Larson they all recognize the crucial role Trump has played in empowering that emergence.
Having read (parts of) his manifesto, I would call him a creature of the "alt-right" although they might not want to claim him. He uses the word "cuck" which is pretty much a giveaway.

https://archive.fo/2gVvl

Originally Posted by Nathan Larson for Congress campaign manifesto
Hitler went to war against Poland because he was unwilling to let Germany get cucked out of its territory in Danzig and the Polish corridor.
. . .
The incels who have never slept with a woman at all, or even held a woman's hand, yet are forced to pay taxes for schools, welfare, and other support for other men's children, are arguably not receiving a benefit at all, because their genetic lines are coming to an end. (This is why they often refer to working for a living as "wagecucking".)
. . .
If only a few women were getting away with this, it might serve their feminine imperative; but since it's happening on a civilization-wide scale, it threatens the survival of the whole race because eventually, women will run out of cucks to exploit.
. . .
All feminism will do is change the order in the socio-sexual hierarchy to place women above betas. Alphas will remain at the top and gammas (aka cucks) and omegas (aka incels) will remain at the bottom.
etc.
__________________
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2018, 11:43 AM   #73
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 26,394
Yeah I agree; the lingo is fairly unmistakable.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2018, 05:20 PM   #74
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I live in a swamp
Posts: 22,599
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Not all of us are consumed with partisan rage.
My rage isn't partisan. Patriots of all political stripes loath Trump.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2018, 05:21 PM   #75
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I live in a swamp
Posts: 22,599
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
That isn't evidence, it's speculation.
It never needs to be evidence to tie him to Trump.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2018, 07:17 PM   #76
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 8,824
He probably needs to get laid...for the first time.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2018, 02:40 AM   #77
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I live in a swamp
Posts: 22,599
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
He probably needs to get laid...for the first time.
I imagine his benefactor in the Whitehouse could help him out with that.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2020, 11:44 AM   #78
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 26,394
Nathan Larson has been arrested for "misdemeanor harboring a minor" in Colorado, but is expected to be extradited to California on felony kidnapping and child pornography charges.

Larson allegedly began online communication with a 12-year-old girl in California, coaxing her to send him nude photographs of herself, and eventually convincing her to "run away" from her home to be with him. Larson flew to Fresno, waited and picked her up after she left her house in the middle of the night, then took her with him on an airline flight to Washington DC. He was arrested and the girl rescued during a layover in Denver; she was immediately returned to her family.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2020, 08:50 AM   #79
Arcade22
Philosopher
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,781
Didn't the Netherlands and/or Belgium have explicitly "pro-pedophilia" parties stand for election one or two decades ago? Embarrassing i guess but who cares.

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
And Terry McAuliffe restored his right to vote and to seek office, there is nothing ambiguous about that either. And why? I mean, who in their right mind would say this is a man who deserves a say in our political system?
Civilized countries don't strip their citizens of their democratic rights no matter how foul or otherwise terrible any crimes they may commit, except perhaps if said crime is directed against democracy. As soon as you start restricting democratic rights for one reason or another someone will demand that you expand those restrictions until only "acceptable" people are able to vote.

I mean this guy is hardly worse than any one of the millions of Americans who voted for Trump and supports his attacks against the entire democratic form of government.
__________________
We would be a lot safer if the Government would take its money out of science and put it into astrology and the reading of palms. Only in superstition is there hope. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann

Last edited by Arcade22; 21st December 2020 at 08:54 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2020, 08:51 AM   #80
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps
 
Mongrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: UK, suburbia. 20 minutes in the future
Posts: 2,037
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Didn't the Netherlands and/or Belgium have explicitly "pro-pedophilia" parties stand for election one or two decades ago? Embarrassing i guess but who cares.
Being sheltered by a party that touts "traditional family values" is vastly different from a one note party that condones it.

Quote:
Civilized countries don't strip their citizens of their democratic rights no matter how foul or otherwise terrible any crimes they may commit, except perhaps if said crime is directed against democracy. As soon as you start restricting democratic rights for one reason or another someone will demand that you expand those restrictions until only "acceptable" people are able to vote.
We could ask those Floridians who've served their time for far less morally repugnant crimes.
__________________
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:05 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.