IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , joe biden , Kamala Harris

Old 16th January 2021, 01:44 PM   #801
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I had good feelings watching P-E Biden announcing his Science Team, and especially at the announcement below.

Biden elevates White House science post to Cabinet level

He talked about the five divisions he is looking to improve, like technology, medicine, economy, etc., using science as a focus. I am quite excited about that.
I am betting some GOPers will object to that, since Godless Science is the work of Satan...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 01:57 PM   #802
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

I'm curious how the Science agency would handle issues that other agencies are currently responsible for. For example, there's a Department of Energy, and what we do about energy is a pretty sciencey subject. How will they divide different parts of that task between them? Does the new one take over all of the research & development (and hopefully add a lot more) while the old DoE gets restricted to regulation?
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 02:11 PM   #803
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Do you have evidence for all those claims?
No evidence, but a realistic prediction, if a little pessimistic.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 02:19 PM   #804
Tero
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
I'm curious how the Science agency would handle issues that other agencies are currently responsible for. For example, there's a Department of Energy, and what we do about energy is a pretty sciencey subject. How will they divide different parts of that task between them? Does the new one take over all of the research & development (and hopefully add a lot more) while the old DoE gets restricted to regulation?
There are already large science agencies, but they operate rather independently. FDA and NIH plus NSF.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 07:34 PM   #805
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Unfortunate news. Looks like Katie Porter isn't going to be on the House Financial Services Committee this time.
Old 17th January 2021, 07:48 PM   #806
deaman
Penultimate Amazing

That lady puts up with no BS!!

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Unfortunate.

She is really something else. She'd make an awesome President.
deaman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 10:26 PM   #807
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And probably beginnng purging the agencies of all the "sleepers" that Trump has left behind.
The Deep Trump!
I've been thinking a bit about this; may start a thread.
Old 17th January 2021, 10:27 PM   #808
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Who? The story has been deleted.
Old 17th January 2021, 11:48 PM   #809
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Who? The story has been deleted.
California congressperson who is famous for skewering uncooperative executives and officials.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...-worse-off-it/
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020...-steve-mnuchin
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 12:14 AM   #810
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
California congressperson who is famous for skewering uncooperative executives and officials.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...-worse-off-it/
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020...-steve-mnuchin
Thank you for beating me to the response.
Old 18th January 2021, 03:56 AM   #811
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
NRA tweeted

@NRA
On Friday, Biden pledged to DEFEAT THE NRA.
Biden wants to ban our semi-auto rifles, tax our guns/mags & more. He knows the only thing standing in his way to DISMANTLE THE 2ND AMENDMENT is NRA.
Gun owners must stay vigilant & be engaged in elections and the legislative process.
The NRA's endemic and rampant corruption is doing a fine job of destroying the NRA.
Good.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 03:59 AM   #812
catsmate
No longer the 1

I was going to wait until after the inauguration to start commenting on Biden's Presidency (and that date would still make a good cutoff time to break off a new thread from this one even if this one isn't long enough by then, just because that'll be when his Presidency really starts), but, since he's already started getting involved, there's no point in waiting to respond to things he's already done.

Back when they were still debating & negotiating about the latest "stimulus", there were behind-the-scenes reports about Biden weighing in on the side that wanted to give people as little as they could get away with and had originally started at $0; when it looked like it could be $1200 or $2000, he was one of those who sank it back down to the $600 we got.

Then he went to Georgia and told them to elect Democrats if they want 2000. And now he's pushing to sink it to 1400, again trying to squeeze it down as low as he thinks he can get away with by pretending that's really 2000 because the 600 already happened.

So he's already not only fighting & striving to do us as little good as possible, but lying to us about intending to do any better and then looking for ways to weasel out of that while saying "Well, technically..." to us and "Did you like that? Did I do good?" to the Republican politicians. So clearly he knows what the people need & want, he knows what wins, and it's the opposite of what he intends to do, all for the great cause of kissing Republican butts and going down in history as the greatest conservative-collaborator ever.

Elect a Republican/conservative President, get a Republican/conservative Presidency
I assume you'll be producing evidence for these claims?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 07:08 AM   #813
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
I assume you'll be producing evidence for these claims?
Repubs don't need no steenking evidence!
Old 18th January 2021, 07:16 AM   #814
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
NRA tweeted

@NRA
On Friday, Biden pledged to DEFEAT THE NRA.
Biden wants to ban our semi-auto rifles, tax our guns/mags & more. He knows the only thing standing in his way to DISMANTLE THE 2ND AMENDMENT is NRA.
Gun owners must stay vigilant & be engaged in elections and the legislative process.
The NRA makes incredible money during Democratic administrations. Fear-mongering about gun-grabbing is their bread and butter for fundraising.

Even with the publicity of the NRA execs pilfering charitable donations, the money will pour in.
Old 18th January 2021, 08:53 AM   #815
TheSupermeerkat
Muse

Lots of jokes about the My Pillow guy but ask yourself this: does anyone know who Biden’s pillow guy is? we’re about to have a president who has no advisors from the pillow industry, let that sink in.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 09:09 AM   #816
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
Lots of jokes about the My Pillow guy but ask yourself this: does anyone know who Biden’s pillow guy is? we’re about to have a president who has no advisors from the pillow industry, let that sink in.
Joe Megibow, CEO of Purple Mattress and Pillows, is a registered Democrat. Biden could offer him a position on his cabinet.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 09:16 AM   #817
sackett
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
There are already large science agencies, but they operate rather independently. FDA and NIH plus NSF.
I hope the new boys will have a budget for research grants to universities. No government can spend its $$$$ better.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 02:21 PM   #818
Galaxie
Muse

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
The NRA makes incredible money during Democratic administrations. Fear-mongering about gun-grabbing is their bread and butter for fundraising.

Even with the publicity of the NRA execs pilfering charitable donations, the money will pour in.
Yep. I'll never forget an article I saw in the NRA's rag American Hunter. There were only a few months left to go in Obama's 2nd term and the article headline was something like: "Obama hasn't taken your guns yet, but he will soon!"
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 07:02 AM   #819
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Some things are difficult to predict, some less so.

The Wall Street Journal (Murdoch) yesterday:

wsj.jpg
Old 19th January 2021, 07:25 AM   #820
Tero
Master Poster

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
I hope the new boys will have a budget for research grants to universities. No government can spend its $$$$ better.
I have had a hard time, through the years, trying to explain to the libertarian end of folks the benefit of university research to libertarian types.

I will explain the funding and the results. Then they go "what about Harvard and Stanford, that is where the best research is done." Then I point out the federal funding those professors at those Us get. They refuse to believe it. End of discussion.

The concept of "enterpreneurial state" explains it more broadly in terms of other fields:

The Entrepreneurial State: Debunking Public vs. Private Sector Myths Paperback – Illustrated, October 27, 2015
by Mariana Mazzucato

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 08:23 AM   #821
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
Yep. I'll never forget an article I saw in the NRA's rag American Hunter. There were only a few months left to go in Obama's 2nd term and the article headline was something like: "Obama hasn't taken your guns yet, but he will soon!"
I saw this as well in person, and ammunition sales during the Obama presidency were through the roof. I think some people are probably will continue to fear that Obama will manage to reach out of the grave to grab their bullets. He should get a special medal from the gun industry for the stimulus.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 08:26 AM   #822
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
I'm sure Fox will be right on top of that, noting that Sleepy Joe has no visible plan to bolster the American way.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 11:29 AM   #823
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I am betting some GOPers will object to that, since Godless Science is the work of Satan...

Back during the 2008 campaign, I would sometimes listen to AM radio raving lunatic Michael Savage for a laugh/cringe. At one point he played a Bill Maher clip complaining about the lack of scientific knowledge in politicians. Savage's response was "You want scientists running the government? Hitler was a scientist. Is that the kind of person you want running things?"
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 01:45 PM   #824
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Back during the 2008 campaign, I would sometimes listen to AM radio raving lunatic Michael Savage for a laugh/cringe. At one point he played a Bill Maher clip complaining about the lack of scientific knowledge in politicians. Savage's response was "You want scientists running the government? Hitler was a scientist. Is that the kind of person you want running things?"
Scientists are evil. Hitler is evil. So Hitler is scientist. Perfectly logical!
Old 19th January 2021, 01:49 PM   #825
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

I watched the speech, and it's good to have a man who acts like a human being instead of a reptile. Biden is a man who has faced and come through family tragedies. Trump is a man who skipped a visit to his dying brother because it was a good day for golf.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 10:45 AM   #826
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

President Biden Tweets (from the @POTUS account)

"There is no time to waste when it comes to tackling the crises we face. That's why today, I am heading to the Oval Office to get right to work delivering bold action and immediate relief for American families."
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 10:53 AM   #827
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Yeeah, there is that whole COVID thing. Wait, wasn't that supposed to vanish after 20 Jan?
Old 20th January 2021, 10:57 AM   #828
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

What exactly is Biden's covid plans these days?

The stimulus is 100% the right thing to do. I hope he's able to get that done quickly, but I suppose that largely depends on the Republicans in Congress.

I also have very little hope that this will do much to move the needle unless it is only the first of many cash payments.

Across this country we've tried the half-measure approach. So long as people are still going out to work, to shop, to travel, and so on, the virus will continue to rip through the community.

It's time for people to stay home, and they need money to do so. Monthly payments that keep people's bills paid, and strict shutdown orders that only let truly essential businesses stay open, providing generous hazard pay for those classified as such.
Old 20th January 2021, 10:59 AM   #829
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
I watched the speech, and it's good to have a man who acts like a human being instead of a reptile. Biden is a man who has faced and come through family tragedies. Trump is a man who skipped a visit to his dying brother because it was a good day for golf.
I will be a huge relief to, once again, see a US President speaking in whole, coherent sentences, doing so presidentially and not like a self-serving, failed Mafia boss.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 11:27 AM   #830
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Back when they were still debating & negotiating about the latest "stimulus", there were behind-the-scenes reports about Biden weighing in on the side that wanted to give people as little as they could get away with...
You have supporting evidence for this?

...and had originally started at $0; when it looked like it could be $1200 or $2000, he was one of those who sank it back down to the $600 we got.
And this?

Then he went to Georgia and told them to elect Democrats if they want 2000. And now he's pushing to sink it to 1400, again trying to squeeze it down as low as he thinks he can get away with...
But the $600 check hadn't been passed by the Senate at that time, the House were still pushing for $2,000 - so what he said was absolutely correct. He effectively said 'If you want the $600 check the R-led Senate is proposing, to be a $2,000 check, vote Democrat'

... by pretending that's really 2000 because the 600 already happened.
Really? Do to remember what happened over the past few weeks as regard the second round of stimulus relief (I will try to keep it simple).

1. The D-led House wanted the second stimulus check to be $2000. Even Trump supported that!

2. After eight years of the R-led Senate approving tax cuts for the rich and spending money hand-over-fist, when it came to helping the average Joe and his family survive, they suddenly became all concerned about fiscal prudence and would only approve a second stimulus check of $600.

3. Biden supports an additional third stimulus check of $1,400 which effectively brings the second stimulus check up to $2,000.

Its simple math addition? $600 + $1,400 = $2,000. The call for the third check of $1,400 would not have even been necessary in the first place if the Senate had passed the $2000 check when they had the chance.

So he's already not only fighting & striving to do us as little good as possible, but lying to us about intending to do any better and then looking for ways to weasel out of that while saying "Well, technically..." to us and "Did you like that? Did I do good?" to the Republican politicians. So clearly he knows what the people need & want, he knows what wins, and it's the opposite of what he intends to do, all for the great cause of kissing Republican butts and going down in history as the greatest conservative-collaborator ever.
Again, lets see your evidence supporting this.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 20th January 2021 at 11:34 AM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 11:45 AM   #831
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
You have supporting evidence for this?

And this?

But the $600 check hadn't been passed by the Senate at that time, the House were still pushing for $2,000 - so what he said was absolutely correct. He effectively said 'If you want the $600 check the R-led Senate is proposing, to be a $2,000 check, vote Democrat'

Really? Do to remember what happened over the past few weeks as regard the second round of stimulus relief (I will try to keep it simple).

1. The D-led House wanted the second stimulus check to be $2000. Even Trump supported that!

2. After eight years of the R-led Senate approving tax cuts for the rich and spending money hand-over-fist, when it came to helping the average Joe and his family survive, they suddenly became all concerned about fiscal prudence and would only approve a second stimulus check of $600.

3. Biden supports an additional third stimulus check of $1,400 which effectively brings the second stimulus check up to $2,000.

Its simple math addition? $600 + $1,400 = $2,000. The call for the third check of $1,400 would not have even been necessary in the first place if the Senate had passed the $2000 check when they had the chance.

Again, lets see your evidence supporting this.
Republicans don't (can't?) do arithmetic.
Old 20th January 2021, 12:02 PM   #832
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Republicans don't (can't?) do arithmetic.
Delvo is not republican. Though that mistake is forgivable, because screeds of far-left guy butthurt over Bernie's loss in Dem primaries long ago can be hard to distinguish from republican drivel.

I always thought there is something to that whole horseshoe theory.
Old 20th January 2021, 12:04 PM   #833
sts60
Illuminator

Regardless of what one thinks of Biden’s policies, it’s hard to think of someone more qualified to be President: years and years as a Senator and two terms as Vice-President. He knows how things work and has personal relationships with many in Congress.

By contrast, I thought Obama started out unqualified (only two years as a Senator) but was certainly “qualified” by the end of his term of office. Biden’s immediate predecessor was not only unqualified, but somehow managed to be less qualified by the time he left.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 12:04 PM   #834
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
Delvo is not republican. Though that mistake is forgivable, because screeds of far-left guy butthurt over Bernie's loss in Dem primaries long ago can be hard to distinguish from republican drivel.

I always thought there is something to that whole horseshoe theory.
My mistake. Looks like a duck and quacks....... sometimes not a duck.
Old 20th January 2021, 12:09 PM   #835
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Trumpers actively impeded Pentagon transition:
Quote:
The Pentagon blocked members of President Joe Biden’s incoming administration from gaining access to critical information about current operations, including the troop drawdown in Afghanistan, upcoming special operations missions in Africa and the Covid-19 vaccine distribution program, according to new details provided by transition and defense officials.

The effort to obstruct the Biden team, led by senior White House appointees at the Pentagon, is unprecedented in modern presidential transitions and will hobble the new administration on key national security matters as it takes over positions in the Defense Department on Wednesday, the officials said.
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...nsition-460768

Maybe more evidence that they planned/expected a coup?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 12:19 PM   #836
Galaxie
Muse

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
President Biden Tweets (from the @POTUS account)

"There is no time to waste when it comes to tackling the crises we face. That's why today, I am heading to the Oval Office to get right to work delivering bold action and immediate relief for American families."
He's not going to go golfing first? Pfft, what a try-hard loser! /s
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 12:24 PM   #837
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I for one am going to be very happy never to hear "the China Virus" again. The other guy even got it into his last speech.
Old 20th January 2021, 12:36 PM   #838
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

The thread on the Trump Presidency reached part 27. I feel like the Biden Presidency will be twice as long and have half as many posts. Although, some of our conservatives seem to be coming out of hiding to talk about really important things now that Trump is gone. So, all bets are off if Biden wears a tan suit.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 12:37 PM   #839
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

I feel safer today.
Old 20th January 2021, 12:41 PM   #840
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Trumpers actively impeded Pentagon transition:

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...nsition-460768

Maybe more evidence that they planned/expected a coup?
Trump sycophants need to be rooted out from ALL positions of control and infleunce, and debrided. The infection must be cleansed.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics