IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th December 2020, 12:38 AM   #81
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Ya, then we can switch to having just a few people complain about the Republican-serving stuff that Biden does while the Biden defenders swarm and shriek about "but Bernie Bernie Bernie!" when the Biden critics hadn't even mentioned him at all.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2020, 01:14 AM   #82
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Think it more just fixation with one idiot tbh.

I mean the twat is gone in a few weeks. There is a time to stop bitching about one person.
a lot of current media is driven by Twitter.

A lot of current Twitter is driven by Trump.

I can't wait for him to get banned for life.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2020, 04:42 AM   #83
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Ya, then we can switch to having just a few people complain about the Republican-serving stuff that Biden does while the Biden defenders swarm and shriek about "but Bernie Bernie Bernie!" when the Biden critics hadn't even mentioned him at all.
Good job preemptively bringing up Bernie while saying you didn't! That's sure to tie up your opponents.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2020, 06:10 AM   #84
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
hard disagree.

those Nazi-adjacent folks will attack freelance reporters and people they don't like the look of.
Better to give them a target that can fight back and comes with medics and support than getting bystanders hurt.
Then let them fight with armed and trained riot cops.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2020, 06:15 AM   #85
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Then let them fight with armed and trained riot cops.
Turns out that plenty of cops are members of the Oathkeepers and such.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2020, 06:36 AM   #86
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Bernie lost many, many months ago in dem primaries. You still did not got over that? Lol.
Old 13th December 2020, 06:38 AM   #87
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Trump will never concede.
He'll pack up and move his personal "white house" to Florida where he'll continue to act like he's in charge, and persist in inviting everyone to wade through his shallow stream of consciousness in the twitterverse.
Whether or not anyone actually listens to him, or takes him seriously, remains to be seen.
Old 13th December 2020, 06:58 AM   #88
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Trump will never concede.
He'll pack up and move his personal "white house" to Florida where he'll continue to act like he's in charge, and persist in inviting everyone to wade through his shallow stream of consciousness in the twitterverse.
Whether or not anyone actually listens to him, or takes him seriously, remains to be seen.
I canít imagine how hard heíll get if he gets a foreign leader to visit Mar-A-Lago.
Old 13th December 2020, 09:20 AM   #89
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I agree that the most likely thing for him to do is get out of Washington ahead of schedule and simply stay out, rather than face being forced out like any other squatter/trespasser. But once he's not a government official using Twitter to talk about government stuff anymore, he loses his exemption from Twitter's rules. And those would have gotten anyone without such an exemption kicked off long ago.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2020, 11:54 AM   #90
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I canít imagine how hard heíll get if he gets a foreign leader to visit Mar-A-Lago.
Kim Jong Un wrote him such nice letters that they fell in love. So he may drop by Donny's crib later...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2020, 11:57 AM   #91
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I agree that the most likely thing for him to do is get out of Washington ahead of schedule and simply stay out, rather than face being forced out like any other squatter/trespasser. But once he's not a government official using Twitter to talk about government stuff anymore, he loses his exemption from Twitter's rules. And those would have gotten anyone without such an exemption kicked off long ago.
^This.

The moment he becomes citizen Trump again, a whole slew of protections no longer apply. Not just Twitter, which will be among the least of his worries. Life will be VERY different for Donny on Jan 21. He may even be having to learn a different language...possibly Russian.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2020, 12:02 PM   #92
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It is against the law to pretend to be an officer of the US Government and attempt to use the authorities of the government. I could see a scenario where Trump would issue an executive order "from exile" and threaten to fire government officers who didn't follow it.
I can't see it, at least not what you describe.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2020, 12:08 PM   #93
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump can offer them golf and the best slice of chocolate cake in the world.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2020, 12:09 PM   #94
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

He's planning a grand exit to try to steal Biden's inauguration thunder.
Old 13th December 2020, 12:18 PM   #95
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I can’t imagine how hard he’ll get if he gets a foreign leader to visit Mar-A-Lago.
Maybe he can get Kim Jong Un to visit him. I heard they may get back together. Old lovers sometimes seek each other out in hard times.

ETA: damn! ninja'd

Last edited by Stacyhs; 13th December 2020 at 12:19 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2020, 12:21 PM   #96
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Trump can offer them golf and the best slice of chocolate cake in the world.
But not two scoops of ice cream. Only he gets two scoops!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2020, 01:38 PM   #97
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
Bernie lost many, many months ago in dem primaries. You still did not got over that? Lol.
The Trump supporters and the die hard Bernie Bros have charestics in common. as much as they both will passionatly deny it.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2020, 01:41 PM   #98
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Any figures, or this is just more on the "Cops are Evil" atittude that is popular here>
And if that is true, then the Progressives should be out buying weapons by any logic.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2020, 01:48 PM   #99
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I can't speak to everywhere, but I promise you DC cops have no problem whatsoever putting the boot to white supremacists. It's sort of like a dream come true.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2020, 01:51 PM   #100
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Think it more just fixation with one idiot tbh.

I mean the twat is gone in a few weeks. There is a time to stop bitching about one person.
I know, right. Just like everyone should stop bitching about all the other nobodies in history people thought were surely down and out. Oh, like, say, that Austrian fellow who spent time in prison for orchestrating a putsch. Oh, crap! He did make a big splash after all, didn't he?

Last edited by Lurch; 13th December 2020 at 01:55 PM.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2020, 01:52 PM   #101
Jimbo07
Illuminator

There are some claims that seem hyperbolic...

... on the other hand, there seems to be little evidence yet for where the floor actually is on this thing. Every time somebody has said X or Y is the norm, and it will stop Trump or his base, things have blown right through it to Z. Anybody still claiming that norms are a protection should have learned better, by now.

Atoms in supernova explosion get huge business -- Pixie of key
Jimbo07 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2020, 01:53 PM   #102
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Absolutely. I think his goal is a split screen inauguration. If he can get Fox to show the "inauguration" of his presidency in exile in a split screen with Biden's real taking the oath of office it's a huge win for him. Newsmax and OAN will of course but they still don't have the reach of Fox. I still have some faith in the Fox News Division but I'm not sure they will win out over the prime time talking heads.
Old 13th December 2020, 06:24 PM   #103
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

And he will. At least 75% of republicans believe he is the real winner, and those people aren't going to watch Biden's inauguration - but they will watch Trump's. Trump may even get more people turning up to this one than the last one!
Old 13th December 2020, 07:06 PM   #104
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

At this point, I'm not sure that Biden should even want Trump at his inauguration. He has nothing to gain by it, since any "tradition" and "peaceful passing of the torch" points have long since been made moot by Trump's tantrums since the beginning of November. It might even be a negative to have Trump there- it's not necessary to Biden's legitimacy to have Trump concede in any form, and having Trump there might give Trump fans the idea that his presence was some sort of gracious and essential (to Biden) concession, even though he (Trump) really won.

And, no, it won't "heal the division in the country." Trump thrives on that division; his being at Biden's inauguration would be a momentary, meaningless nod at the idea of compromise for the good of all before going right back to the simple intransigence that feeds the only "all" he cares about or even thinks really exists, his base.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2020, 07:19 PM   #105
Venom
Illuminator

It is against the law to pretend to be an officer of the US Government and attempt to use the authorities of the government. I could see a scenario where Trump would issue an executive order "from exile" and threaten to fire government officers who didn't follow it.
I am a bit curious how far Trump could take this government-in-exile strategy if he goes that route.

The faith of his base is nearly unshakeable. He could, on a whim, declare a Republican candidate an unelectable RINO and to boycott his election and a good number of Republicans in the state may actually stay home.

How much political power does ex-president Trump really have? He can test it.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2020, 07:23 PM   #106
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
At this point, I'm not sure that Biden should even want Trump at his inauguration. He has nothing to gain by it, since any "tradition" and "peaceful passing of the torch" points have long since been made moot by Trump's tantrums since the beginning of November. It might even be a negative to have Trump there- it's not necessary to Biden's legitimacy to have Trump concede in any form, and having Trump there might give Trump fans the idea that his presence was some sort of gracious and essential (to Biden) concession, even though he (Trump) really won.

And, no, it won't "heal the division in the country." Trump thrives on that division; his being at Biden's inauguration would be a momentary, meaningless nod at the idea of compromise for the good of all before going right back to the simple intransigence that feeds the only "all" he cares about or even thinks really exists, his base.
Reading your post a thought hit me. I don't know why it never hit me before. It's so obvious.

No, Trump should not be there. Oh, of course, he will be allowed to be there and all that, but Biden shouldn't encourage it. The reason he ought to be there is for all the reasons you bring up. The peaceful transition of power is incredibly important to a functioning democracy. The presence of the outgoing president is an important part of that symbolism, so it's important to carry on that ceremony and tradition.

The thought that hit me is that that's only important to normal people who have some respect for the democratic tradition, and a comprehension of why those sorts of ceremonies are important. For Trump, he will attend the ceremony if and only if he decides it's in his best interest. If he deigns to go to the ceremony, it won't be a gracious and essential concession. It will be some trick that he is using to gain publicity for his next step, whether that is further political activity, or advertising for his TV network, or whatever that is.

So, Trump has earned the right to be there, and Biden will undoubtedly invite him and treat him graciously if he is there, but I hope Trump chooses not to exercise that right. Furthermore, that assumes that he, at some point, stops claiming he won., and ceases whatever attempted shenanigans that he is still doing now. If he doesn't respect the peaceful transition of power, then the symbolism doesn't really work anyway.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 13th December 2020 at 07:24 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2020, 07:32 PM   #107
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

He should be invited on the clear understanding that he stop throwing his tantrums, gets his ass up off the floor, wipes his snotty nose and comes out to play nice with all the rest of the birthday guests. Or else he can just stay in his room for the rest of the day and miss out on all the fun. Because it's not his party, it's someone else's.
Old 13th December 2020, 08:00 PM   #108
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Remember this?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

It's a pretty sad commentary on the president we currently have to admit to that it wouldn't be at all a surprise to see Trump do the exact same thing to Biden at Biden's inauguration, little strut and chest-puff and all. (Maybe even the "ok, now, you're who? Ok, whatever..." to the lady there at the end)

turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2020, 08:10 PM   #109
sackett
Philosopher

Drumpf 45's political power consists, mainly or even entirely, of several tens of millions of our very worst: rural and semi-rural proletarians,* increasingly unemployable, intransegently ignorant, superstitious, often indigent (how much of those contributions to his fightin' fund are in the form of sweaty ones and fives?), and all but incapable of changing their allegiance. That's only a power base because the US is still a democracy. If those yobs didn't possess the franchise, if their votes meant nothing, Benito would be no more than a fading tuft of the political fringe.

I think -- all right, goddammit, I believe -- that his horde can only diminish. He gives them nothing beyond encouragement in their dirtiest urges, and as time goes on and attention to him drifts away they'll lose interest. I don't call them impenetrable. He can only control them by giving them circuses and, y'know, bread tends to be a heavier consideration in the long run.

* My people. I know them. I've felt their pride and resentment and, especially, their very great conceit. How & hell I escaped the trailer court of Lower America baffles me. If I did; let's say so; not that I esteem the -- Jesus, I gotta guffaw! -- self-identifying elites who purse their lips over the poor yahoos.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.

Last edited by sackett; 13th December 2020 at 08:16 PM.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2020, 02:12 AM   #110
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

At this point, I'm not sure that Biden should even want Trump at his inauguration.
I suppose the best compromise would be to allow him to attend, but place him somewhere out of the way during the ceremony, where he can't try to steal the show.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2020, 02:33 AM   #111
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
I suppose the best compromise would be to allow him to attend, but place him somewhere out of the way during the ceremony, where he can't try to steal the show.
I would expect President Trump to try and make it all about him, demanding to make a long speech as outgoing President and using that speech to continue to make unsubstantiated claims of voter fraud and to insist that he is the rightful President.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2020, 02:35 AM   #112
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
I had a look at USA history. There was a Mormon fellow, in the late 1800s who declared himself King. I couldn't find any specific law, but the Wikipedia page suggested the numerous charges that could be made, including trespass on government land, treason and counterfeiting. I guess in the modern world, there would be financial laws against raising money possibly as simple as fraud.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Strang

It is an interesting area. Royal lineages do seem to arise to take power by force or conquest, so I can't really say my queen has some legal right for her family line to have become monarchs.
Well, my queen's family has a constitutional right to be monarchs. I'm pretty sure yours have, too.

Hans
Old 14th December 2020, 03:17 AM   #113
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Nah, have his position at the end of a long ramp..
Old 14th December 2020, 05:08 AM   #114
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
I know, right. Just like everyone should stop bitching about all the other nobodies in history people thought were surely down and out. Oh, like, say, that Austrian fellow who spent time in prison for orchestrating a putsch. Oh, crap! He did make a big splash after all, didn't he?
He lives in our heads rent free. It's as if he's the president of the United States or something.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2020, 05:09 AM   #115
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I would expect President Trump to try and make it all about him, demanding to make a long speech as outgoing President and using that speech to continue to make unsubstantiated claims of voter fraud and to insist that he is the rightful President.
During Biden's speech, Trump will roam around in the background, like he did at the debate with Hillary- everyone once in a while, he'll step up by Biden's shoulder and say things like "wrong" or "you'll be in jail."

Old 14th December 2020, 06:44 AM   #116
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

During Biden's speech, Trump will roam around in the background, like he did at the debate with Hillary- everyone once in a while, he'll step up by Biden's shoulder and say things like "wrong" or "you'll be in jail."
I'd die laughing if Biden was holding his speech and Trump kept making noise, and Biden answered with a "will you shut up, man?" before carrying on with his speech.
Old 14th December 2020, 06:48 AM   #117
Armitage72
Philosopher

If a foreign leader visits at that point, Trump won't be a peer (as if they ever saw him that way), he'll be an employee.

"Mr. Trump, you're in charge here, correct? I demand softer towels immediately. The ones in my room are completely unacceptable."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2020, 07:00 AM   #118
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
If a foreign leader visits at that point, Trump won't be a peer (as if they ever saw him that way), he'll be an employee.

"Mr. Trump, you're in charge here, correct? I demand softer towels immediately. The ones in my room are completely unacceptable."
Now I got an image in my head of a despondent Trump in a housekeeper outfit, complete with feather duster. Thank you for the chuckle .
Old 14th December 2020, 07:08 AM   #119
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Now I got an image in my head of a despondent Trump in a housekeeper outfit, complete with feather duster. Thank you for the chuckle .
And the image shifts, so now it's Trump in a sexy French maid outfit. "Can I...make you great again, m'sieur?" he giggles seductively, flirting his feather duster. His skirt is very short, exposing a huge expanse of orange thigh. "You can call me Covfifi."
Old 14th December 2020, 07:09 AM   #120
malbui
Beauf

I bet it wouldn't be the first time he's dressed up like that in the comfort of his own resort.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics