IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th December 2020, 02:16 AM   #161
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Can you imagine the awkward position a Trump event held at the same time as the Biden inauguration would put the GOP Congress members in? To have to choose between attending the actual inauguration of the legal president, with whom they're going to have to work the next four years or the attention seeking event that the still influential over the GOP base voter and petty/vengeful Trump may hold wouldn't be easy for some.
Some may suddenly find that they have been diagnosed with Covid or that they suddenly need to spend time with their families so regrettably they have to skip both events
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2020, 02:54 AM   #162
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Can you imagine the awkward position a Trump event held at the same time as the Biden inauguration would put the GOP Congress members in? To have to choose between attending the actual inauguration of the legal president, with whom they're going to have to work the next four years or the attention seeking event that the still influential over the GOP base voter and petty/vengeful Trump may hold wouldn't be easy for some.
I thought it was going to be a very small event but still televised?
Old 17th December 2020, 03:07 AM   #163
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump would be sitting with the other ex-Presidents.
That won't be a comfy crowd to hang out with for him.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2020, 05:15 AM   #164
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Can you imagine the body language!
Old 17th December 2020, 06:55 AM   #165
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
It would surprise most of the world if Trump attended Biden's inauguration.

He should turn up if he wants to be a gracious winner at losing.
Perhaps he'll show up and be under the impression there will be a bit like in weddings where "if anyone has just cause", and he'll try to interrupt proceedings. Then he'll be felled by a taser, and roll around on the ground, kicking and screaming and weeping and pissing himself.

That would be a blow against the dignity of the nation, to be sure, but it would be fine entertainment! Especially if he breaks his nose on the way down. These are held outdoors, right, on pavement?
Old 17th December 2020, 07:03 AM   #166
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

//hit post too soon//

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 17th December 2020 at 07:10 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2020, 07:08 AM   #167
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
He is reported to be depressed and fluctuating between plans to leave and planning to have a competing event, taking Air Force 1 to FL and holding an event there in hopes the news media will give him more attention than they give to Biden.

And then endlessly complaining about the Fake News lying and saying that President Biden got better ratings.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2020, 07:09 AM   #168
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

The inauguration is mostly going to be an online affair. They can attend both!

The idea that the outgoing president might actually schedule an event at the same time as the inauguration is yet one more example of why it's an embarrassment that this man was ever President of the United States.
Old 17th December 2020, 07:18 AM   #169
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Or they could have two sections for ex-presidents, labeled "looser 1 term only" and "Winner 2 terms only"
Old 17th December 2020, 07:19 AM   #170
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Or they could have two sections for ex-presidents, labeled "looser 1 term only" and "Winner 2 terms only"
Forcing Jimmy Carter to sit alone with Donald Trump would be very cruel to Carter.
Old 17th December 2020, 07:22 AM   #171
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Forcing Jimmy Carter to sit alone with Donald Trump would be very cruel to Carter.
Unless Carter leaned over and whispered "Biden told me he'd pardon me on assault charges if I taser you right in the balls."
Old 17th December 2020, 07:27 AM   #172
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Unless Carter leaned over and whispered "Biden told me he'd pardon me on assault charges if I taser you right in the balls."
Old 17th December 2020, 07:28 AM   #173
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
He's a patriot, I'm sure he's happy to take one for the country.

(Didn't realise he was still alive!)
Old 17th December 2020, 07:46 AM   #174
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

A very, very tiny part of me has spent the last four years thinking Trump might, might actually be argued into the last possible Planck Corner and his defense would be some sort of hamfisted attempt at a "Ah shucks I guess I'm beat. Well good game everyone. Yeah I know I was a jerk but that was just me playing the game..." routine. Like he was legit going to try and play it off.

Like ever seen Rocky 3? Rocky is doing a charity match with the giant wrestler Thunderlips played by Hulk Hogan? And after Thunderlips throws him around the ring like a ragdoll for several minutes but plays it off after the fact as him just put on a good show?

But the sands are rapidly running out of the hourglass as to any timeframe that could happen.

He really is going to fight to the bitter end.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 17th December 2020 at 07:50 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2020, 08:40 AM   #175
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Given how obsessed he was with "more people came to my inauguration than went to Obama's," clearly he is still obsessed with the inauguration crowd size, like anyone else cares.
Due to the pandemic, Biden's inaguration likely won't have a big crowd to begin with. Most likely it will be mostly a digital event, for better and worse. It would've been amazing to see Trump irritated by the massive crowds, but not being able to make the comparison in the first place will possibly irritate him just as much.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2020, 08:51 AM   #176
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Imagine if a constitutional convention were convened today. The scenes of horror unfold in the imagination, making one thankful that, for all its faults, once upon a time there was an Age of Reason. At least, it is mildly comforting to think so.

I do not know what other times in history felt like first hand, but I imagine a late Roman or two felt similarly to how we might today. We are now tearing at the ragged edges of civilization, and the best gains to be had are ill-gotten. Time to see to the storeroom and keep.
Old 17th December 2020, 11:21 AM   #177
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

He's a patriot, I'm sure he's happy to take one for the country.

(Didn't realise he was still alive!)
At 96, he's the oldest ever ex-president.

Trump will probably be able to truthfully claim to have had a bigger inauguration than Biden due to Covid precautions. But he'll lie about why, of course.
Old 17th December 2020, 01:34 PM   #178
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Perhaps he'll show up and be under the impression there will be a bit like in weddings where "if anyone has just cause", and he'll try to interrupt proceedings. Then he'll be felled by a taser, and roll around on the ground, kicking and screaming and weeping and pissing himself.

That would be a blow against the dignity of the nation, to be sure, but it would be fine entertainment! Especially if he breaks his nose on the way down. These are held outdoors, right, on pavement?
He's going to go all Kanye on Biden with his best "I'mma let you finish" imitation.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2020, 06:53 PM   #179
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
A very, very tiny part of me has spent the last four years thinking Trump might, might actually be argued into the last possible Planck Corner and his defense would be some sort of hamfisted attempt at a "Ah shucks I guess I'm beat. Well good game everyone. Yeah I know I was a jerk but that was just me playing the game..." routine. Like he was legit going to try and play it off.

Like ever seen Rocky 3? Rocky is doing a charity match with the giant wrestler Thunderlips played by Hulk Hogan? And after Thunderlips throws him around the ring like a ragdoll for several minutes but plays it off after the fact as him just put on a good show?

But the sands are rapidly running out of the hourglass as to any timeframe that could happen.

He really is going to fight pout to the bitter end.
Trump doesn't do real fighting.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2020, 08:16 PM   #180
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Trump doesn't do real fighting.
Trump played soccer in school. You know, that game where you fall down, cry, and complain about how mean the other guy was if he gets within three feet of you. He's turned that into an art form
Old 17th December 2020, 08:23 PM   #181
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Trump played soccer in school. You know, that game where you fall down, cry, and complain about how mean the other guy was if he gets within three feet of you. He's turned that into an art form
Hey! I played soccer for 13 years when I was young. People regularly break their legs in that sport. No helmets or padding either. So it's pretty rough.

But you are correct about Trump. But he does the same playing tiddlywinks or Monopoly as well.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2020, 08:46 PM   #182
dirtywick
Illuminator

lol saw a guy's acl explode doing post modern interpretive dance once. pretty rough stuff
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2020, 01:18 AM   #183
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Pardon him, hell. He'd give him the Medal of Freedom. And the Swedes would give him a Nobel just for the hell of it.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2020, 04:22 AM   #184
Parsman
Muse

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
American Football. Everybody wearing so much body armour you'd think they were Medieval knights. Try rugby sometime, wimps!

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2020, 04:38 AM   #185
BazBear
Possible Suspect

Location: Slightly Over The Hill, Not Too Far Around The Bend
You just need a third section, "lost popular vote twice". No need to put poor old Jimmy Carter next to Trumpty.
BazBear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2020, 05:04 AM   #186
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by BazBear View Post
You just need a third section, "lost popular vote twice". No need to put poor old Jimmy Carter next to Trumpty.
It may not be over yet. Senator-Elect Tommy Turberville may be planning to join Rep. Mo Brooks in challenging the EC result in Congress, giving Trump the opportunity of losing one final time.

(Lifted from one of the CT threads where Captain Swoop posted it earlier today.)

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2020, 05:35 AM   #187
Ulf Nereng
Muse

Pardon him, hell. He'd give him the Medal of Freedom. And the Swedes would give him a Nobel just for the hell of it.
The prize for Physics, then? (It's Norway who gives out the Peace one.)
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2020, 05:46 AM   #188
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
It may not be over yet. Senator-Elect Tommy Turberville may be planning to join Rep. Mo Brooks in challenging the EC result in Congress, giving Trump the opportunity of losing one final time.

(Lifted from one of the CT threads where Captain Swoop posted it earlier today.)

Dave
Great way to start your first day on the job. He'll make so many friends.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2020, 05:47 AM   #189
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

It may not be over yet. Senator-Elect Tommy Turberville ...

Man, I still can't believe that's actually his name. It sounds like a cartoon name. I feel like that kid in The Last Action Hero who points out that one of the cops is actually a cartoon cat, and everyone else keeps missing the point, and insisting "That cat is one of the best men I've got!"
Old 18th December 2020, 05:48 AM   #190
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
All they have to do is tell him he'll be seated next to Obama, they'll be no chance of him showing up
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2020, 06:28 AM   #191
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
All they have to do is tell him he'll be seated next to behind Obama, they'll be no chance of him showing up

If we're going for humiliation, let's swing for the fences!
Old 18th December 2020, 07:10 AM   #192
eerok
Quixoticist

Senator-Elect Tommy Turberville
Isn't he related to Tess of the Turbervilles?
Old 18th December 2020, 07:22 AM   #193
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
If we're going for humiliation, let's swing for the fences!
All they have to do is tell him he'll be seated next to under Obama Rudy, after some burritos, they'll be no chance of him showing up
Old 18th December 2020, 07:32 AM   #194
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
All they have to do is tell him he'll be seated next to Obama, they'll be no chance of him showing up
And Obama will be telling jokes about past presidents to loosen up the crowd.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2020, 07:34 AM   #195
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
He should be invited on the clear understanding that he stop throwing his tantrums, gets his ass up off the floor, wipes his snotty nose and comes out to play nice with all the rest of the birthday guests. Or else he can just stay in his room for the rest of the day and miss out on all the fun. Because it's not his party, it's someone else's.
Asking Pres. Trump to do those things is akin to asking him to levitate; to discover a cure for cancer and refuse to take any money for it; and to shoot lasers from his eyes in order to write “Biden won the presidency” on the Washington Monument.
Old 18th December 2020, 09:12 AM   #196
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Well the pentagon is done working with the "incoming" administration.

https://www.businessinsider.com/acti...sition-2020-12

"President Donald Trump's newest Pentagon chief has ordered the Department of Defense to halt efforts to cooperate with President-elect Joe Biden's team on the transition, Axios reported Friday, citing senior administration officials.

Acting Defense Secretary Chris Miller sent the order instructing staff to cancel scheduled transition meetings Thursday night, stunning department officials, Axios reporter Jonathan Swan reported."
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2020, 09:18 AM   #197
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Well the pentagon is done working with the "incoming" administration.

https://www.businessinsider.com/acti...sition-2020-12

"President Donald Trump's newest Pentagon chief has ordered the Department of Defense to halt efforts to cooperate with President-elect Joe Biden's team on the transition, Axios reported Friday, citing senior administration officials.

Acting Defense Secretary Chris Miller sent the order instructing staff to cancel scheduled transition meetings Thursday night, stunning department officials, Axios reporter Jonathan Swan reported."
To be fair, this isn't because they refuse to admit that Biden is the President-Elect, but because Trump delayed the handover so long and fired so many of the people who knew what they were doing that they simply can't cope with the workload. In other words, it's Trump who's been crapping on the carpet, not the Pentagon.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2020, 09:19 AM   #198
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Hire a bunch of unprepared **** ups and then get all surprised when they can't handle it. I'm shocked I tell you.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2020, 09:20 AM   #199
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

That's actually the part that pisses me off the most.

I don't really care (within this context, I care lot in other context) how long Trump himself pouts. It's not like Biden really needs any type of actual turnover from him. As long as he leaves on time there's little prep-time needed. It's not like taking the job from a good or even "bad within normal parameters" President.

But our government as organization does need time to transfer stuff and Trump's shenanigans is hurting that. Badly.
Old 18th December 2020, 04:47 PM   #200
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

If we manage a peaceful transition of power even with all the sabotage Trump is attempting, will that say anything about the resilience of our system?

It's all on the saner Republicans at this point to control the damage over the next few weeks. They have of course been complicit in allowing things to get to this point, but isn't McConnell going to have to quietly cut Tuberville off at the knees for defying herd discipline? My hope is the Deep State can arrange reasonable continuity of military readiness, public health management and other critical functions. The Supreme Court has made a tentative stand and the Senate looks like it will accept reality. Joe Biden probably commands more personal loyalty than Trump could ever hope for, which may be cause for hope. The House is a different story, I have no handle on what could happen there.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics