IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump supporters

Old 16th January 2021, 07:22 PM   #1281
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Yes.
Iíve often wondered what ICBMs would look like if women ran the Pentagon.
Er, arenít they already pretty dildoey?
Old 17th January 2021, 12:51 AM   #1282
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Had to Google it...

ďA major new study by the Mayo Clinic found that a large portion of women experience hot flashes, night sweats and other symptoms not only in midlife but also into their 60s, 70s and 80s
Odd. I've never known anyone who did and I'm in my mid-60's. All my friends and family were over and done with that crap by 60. I hardly experienced it at all.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 01:16 AM   #1283
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Odd. I've never known anyone who did and I'm in my mid-60's. All my friends and family were over and done with that crap by 60. I hardly experienced it at all.
I had an early menopause, age 42. I'm 67 now and I still have hot flashes and less often, I'll have night sweats.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 02:12 AM   #1284
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I had an early menopause, age 42. I'm 67 now and I still have hot flashes and less often, I'll have night sweats.
Weird. Maybe I had an easier time because I had a baby at 39. I've heard that women who have children later in life do have an easier time with menopause.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 06:23 AM   #1285
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Yes.
They would look about same, since their form follows their function. Law of physics dictate their kinda-phallic shape.

If you ask if ICBMs would exists at all, then yes. MAD doctrine and all of that. Unless, of course, you suggest women are suicidal idiots or like to be commie russians.
Old 17th January 2021, 06:39 AM   #1286
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

But what about MIRVs?
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 07:07 AM   #1287
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Er, arenít they already pretty dildoey?
They would be pink with a lace collar
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 09:18 AM   #1288
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Yes.

Okay, sure, "Guys built rockets to look like dicks! Hahahahaha!"

But the same guys also built silos.

Old 17th January 2021, 09:22 AM   #1289
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
But what about MIRVs?
Multiple explosions from a single try?

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 09:24 AM   #1290
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Phallic and yonic imagery doesn't change the necessity of factoring in aerodynamics when making a rocket.

You can't get a vagina to fly as well as a penis just because women instead of men are in power.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 09:24 AM   #1291
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
You can't get a vagina to fly as well as a penis
First time in human history that sentence has been uttered.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 10:11 AM   #1292
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Phallic and yonic imagery doesn't change the necessity of factoring in aerodynamics when making a rocket.

You can't get a vagina to fly as well as a penis just because women instead of men are in power.

Oh, ye of little vaginal faith!

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=296459448030600
Old 17th January 2021, 10:31 AM   #1293
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
First time in human history that sentence has been uttered.
New to the Internet, are we?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 10:47 AM   #1294
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Okay, sure, "Guys built rockets to look like dicks! Hahahahaha!"

But the same guys also built silos.

And maybe also nuclear power plants!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 231DC329-7DE7-40E3-94AE-3F2E9A4828EE.jpg (67.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 17th January 2021, 10:52 AM   #1295
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Weird. Maybe I had an easier time because I had a baby at 39. I've heard that women who have children later in life do have an easier time with menopause.
Didn't work for my wife. The hot flashes lasted for years, and still come occasionally. She's not quite 60.
Old 17th January 2021, 11:13 AM   #1296
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Didn't work for my wife. The hot flashes lasted for years, and still come occasionally. She's not quite 60.
*glances at thread title*

US Pol is a silly place.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 11:24 AM   #1297
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
New to the Internet, are we?

Old 17th January 2021, 11:33 AM   #1298
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Grand Teton Nuclear Power Plant?
Old 17th January 2021, 11:35 AM   #1299
SteveAitch
Thinker

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
*glances at thread title*

US Pol is a silly place.
Yeah, mea culpa. Sorry.
Old 17th January 2021, 01:37 PM   #1300
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

NEw footage of the mob in the Senate Chamber. Includes mob members riffling therough Senator's desks.
and Qanon Shamnn in the President of the Senate's seat. Lots of four letter words.
The ones gong thorugh the dedks and taking docements are going to Club Fed.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 01:56 PM   #1301
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Here's the new footage of the mob in the Senate Chamber
.https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...wsroom-vpx.cnn

Sheer Anarchy, Right wing types often go back and forth between authoritariniam and anarchy.
Anarachy, left wing or right wing, is not cool. End of story.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 17th January 2021 at 01:57 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 02:13 PM   #1302
Cain
Straussian

More of the New Yorker's cringey video can be found on their site:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/video...-capitol-siege

Apart me would've like to see these mental giants form their own government.
Old 17th January 2021, 02:14 PM   #1303
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Here's the new footage of the mob in the Senate Chamber
.https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...wsroom-vpx.cnn

Sheer Anarchy, Right wing types often go back and forth between authoritariniam and anarchy.
Anarachy, left wing or right wing, is not cool. End of story.
I'm not worried about leftwing extremists.

Right-wing extremists appear to outnumber left-wingers by a very large margin. Vast majority of anti-government groups in particular are far-right.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 02:48 PM   #1304
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I'm not worried about leftwing extremists.

Right-wing extremists appear to outnumber left-wingers by a very large margin. Vast majority of anti-government groups in particular are far-right.
Right Wingers aare by far the greater danger, now, but don't think the Left is not also capable of violence and has an autoratian wing.
I give you the Weatherman,the SLA, the Black Liberation Army and the Puerto Rican terroirst groups of the early 70's as proof of that.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 17th January 2021, 02:51 PM   #1305
dirtywick
Illuminator

Right Wingers aare by far the greater danger, now, but don't think the Left is not also capable of violence and has an autoratian wing.
I give you the Weatherman,the SLA, the Black Liberation Army and the Puerto Rican terroirst groups of the early 70's as proof of that.
of course they're capable in theory, as is basically every human thought taken to it's extreme, but who cares? it's become a mainstream position for the right
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 03:01 PM   #1306
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

That's the 70s. This is now.
Old 17th January 2021, 03:10 PM   #1307
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
That's the 70s. This is now.
I agree. But that the left is incapable of evil is something too many people here seem to buy into.
And, never forget, one extreme always fuels the other extreme.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 17th January 2021, 03:11 PM   #1308
Cain
Straussian

Goodfellas meets Proud Boys: "As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a patriot."

https://twitter.com/carter_glascock/...27651586871298
Old 17th January 2021, 03:11 PM   #1309
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I agree. But that the left is incapable of evil is something too many people here seem to buy into.
Maybe, but the left in America is everyone who isn't Trump-party these days.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 03:11 PM   #1310
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

God, that looks the setting for the climax of the Jimmy Cagney Classic "White Heat".

"TOP OF THE WORLD MA,TOP OF THR WORLD".

Robert Heinlein.
Old 17th January 2021, 03:13 PM   #1311
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

60 Minutes this evening is planning a look at the riot, the signs it was coming ahead of time, and the preparations for the inauguration.

I suppose the new President might technically need to be inaugurated, but, if I were the next President, I'd skip at least the public aspect of the inauguration completely; just do it inside in some secure building away from the usual famous sites in WDC, and let a few cameras in for TV & web-streaming. Of course, even before the Republican Party made itself officially the party of terrorism, I would probably have cancelled the big public spectacle/party of inauguration anyway as just a self-aggrandizing waste of money, so it's not something I needed much convincing for.
Delvo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 03:20 PM   #1312
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Johnson was inaugurated on Air Force One, while flying JFK's still-warm body back to Washington.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 03:27 PM   #1313
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

There are always extremes. But the radical left of the Weathermen and the SLA was tiny even in their heyday of the 60s and 70s. Yes, we should always be vigilant against authoritarian movements whether they come from either extreme. There just is no reason to even mention an extreme left as a concern today.

Last edited by acbytesla; 17th January 2021 at 03:34 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 03:31 PM   #1314
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Johnson was inaugurated on Air Force One, while flying JFK's still-warm body back to Washington.
Small pedantic correction. The ceremony took place on the tarmac at Love Field. Not in the air. Ironically with Jackie observing while still wearing the dress that was splattered with her husband's blood.
Old 17th January 2021, 03:34 PM   #1315
Venom
Illuminator

At least far-left extremists groups of the 70s were inspired or supported by a foreign adversary.

The far-right extremism in this country today is for the most part homegrown. The fuel for much of the rightwing is the mere presence of non-white people, LGBT, and wackos on college campuses. Not to mention a misplaced fear of the perpetual enemy, Marxism.

The right-wing response to ostensible left-wing extremism is way overblown.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 03:42 PM   #1316
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post

Watching that tape, one word kept going through my head, over and over.

Stupid.

These guys are just dumb. They're morons. Their reading comprehension skills are, well, below grade level. They can repeat words, but can't really form coherent thoughts. They're idiots.
Old 17th January 2021, 03:48 PM   #1317
HHellpop
Reluctant Galactic Assassin

Originally Posted by Cain View Post

I have a feeling it would go something like this:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 17th January 2021, 03:51 PM   #1318
HHellpop
Reluctant Galactic Assassin

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Watching that tape, one word kept going through my head, over and over.

Stupid.

These guys are just dumb. They're morons. Their reading comprehension skills are, well, below grade level. They can repeat words, but can't really form coherent thoughts. They're idiots.
"FreeDumb! FreeDumb! FreeDumb!"
Old 17th January 2021, 03:59 PM   #1319
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
My understanding, wrong though I may be (never!), is that as soon as Kennedy was pronounced dead Johnson became president. The swearing in, such as the one to which you refer, with the oath of office specified in the constitution, is a ceremonial step into the history books.
Old 17th January 2021, 04:46 PM   #1320
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

My understanding, wrong though I may be (never!), is that as soon as Kennedy was pronounced dead Johnson became president. The swearing in, such as the one to which you refer, with the oath of office specified in the constitution, is a ceremonial step into the history books.
Yes and no. The 25th Amendment was a response to JFK's assassination.

So much was wrong with that swearing in ceremony. Jackie refused to leave Dallas without her husband's body and the coroner in Dallas was trying to refuse releasing the body as he was demanding that an autopsy be done in Dallas as it was a murder that took place in that city. LBJ just forced everything.

Last edited by acbytesla; 17th January 2021 at 04:48 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics