IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Congressional hearings , donald trump , impeachment , Trump administration , Trump controversies , Trump impeachment

Old 12th January 2021, 08:37 AM   #441
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The critical reason why there needs to be an Impeachment:

we wouldn't have to call him President ever again.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 08:39 AM   #442
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Part of me hopes Trump does run in 2024 and splits the Republican ticket with Trump taking ~20, a mainstream Republican taking roughly ~20, and a Democrat winning in a landslide.

I also am fully aware of how badly that could backfire.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 08:40 AM   #443
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I wonder if the Republicans have already decided what they are going to try and impeach Biden over?

(You know they are going to try. No way the Democrats are getting two unchallenged impeachments, even against Trump.)
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 08:44 AM   #444
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I wonder if the Republicans have already decided what they are going to try and impeach Biden over?

(You know they are going to try. No way the Democrats are getting two unchallenged impeachments, even against Trump.)
having picked a VP of color, obviously.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 08:45 AM   #445
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Dunno, but I could hazard a guess as to what they want to impeach Harris over.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 08:46 AM   #446
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
having picked a VP of color, obviously.
Well obviously Kamala "Black Power Kill Whitey" Harris is a super-sekrit sleeper agent for the deep state white genocide cabal. That's just logical.
Old 12th January 2021, 08:48 AM   #447
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

I'm actually expecting a series of 25th amendment requests. A lot of right-wingers have been saying that Biden's senile for the last several months; I don't expect that to let up.
Old 12th January 2021, 08:48 AM   #448
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Part of me hopes Trump does run in 2024 and splits the Republican ticket with Trump taking ~20, a mainstream Republican taking roughly ~20, and a Democrat winning in a landslide.

I also am fully aware of how badly that could backfire.
Or we could all drink cyanide laced Kool-Aid and see what happens.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 08:49 AM   #449
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Trump relied on social media to get the nomination. He won't have that.
You think he won't be able to reach people because Twitter won't give him an account?

What the internet has enabled is cheap publication by anyone to anyone. There's no reason to have a corporation as gatekeeper to what gets onto the internet, and that won't happen. It's very easy to create alternatives.

I don't think Trump will be back as a political force, but that's not based on the ability of Mark Zuckerberg to keep him hidden from us. I think it's that enough of the American people have woken up to where his style of demagoguery leads.

In other words, I'm counting on the intelligence of the American people to keep him out. That's kind of a risky strategy.
Old 12th January 2021, 08:51 AM   #450
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
You think he won't be able to reach people because Twitter won't give him an account?

What the internet has enabled is cheap publication by anyone to anyone. There's no reason to have a corporation as gatekeeper to what gets onto the internet, and that won't happen. It's very easy to create alternatives.

I don't think Trump will be back as a political force, but that's not based on the ability of Mark Zuckerberg to keep him hidden from us. I think it's that enough of the American people have woken up to where his style of demagoguery leads.

In other words, I'm counting on the intelligence of the American people to keep him out. That's kind of a risky strategy.
That's a joke, right?
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 09:04 AM   #451
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Democrats can't heal the divide and call for unity, because Trump and his Republicans have taken away all their legitimacy to do so:
you will never accept that I give you half of my money as reconciliation if you are convinced that I stole all that money from you.

Before Biden and the rest of the Democrats can work on making the US less partisan, Republicans have to admit to their voters that they lied about the Election being rigged and that fully support Biden's win as unquestionably legitimate.
I think that it's a bit more basic, honestly. Democrats indeed can't heal the divide, because they're really, really not responsible for it. Democrats honestly have been trying to work with Republicans pretty much all along, for that matter. At the moment, there's quite a lot of Democrats who don't want to work with or trust Republicans, yes... as a direct result of the unending stream of false accusations, the constant bad faith they show, the party over country, the outright sedition they've riled up and engaged in, etc. If Republicans would act in good faith and act to actually do good things, Democrats in general would immediately be happy to make good things happen. The focus by Republicans (and conservatives in general) seems to be more about the people, and support is far more based on how friendly they are with the people. The Democrats (and liberals in general) seem to be far more focused on policy, on the other hand. Sorta a case in point can be seen with reactions to Obama and Trump. Obama supports a claimed Republican priority? Republicans attack Obama anyways and work to prevent it from happening. Trump supports a claimed Democratic priority? Democrats are immediately on board, regardless of how much they dislike Trump himself.

What "healing" even can the Democrats offer at all on their side when the fundamental problem is that Republicans are attacking Democrats in bad faith and have been for a very extended period of time?

Democrats can seek to directly help a heck of a lot of Republicans and it's guaranteed that they'll get attacked hard for trying to help. Republicans can seek to directly harm a heck of a lot of Republicans and it's pretty well guaranteed they'll be cheered on in their efforts.
Old 12th January 2021, 09:34 AM   #452
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1349018177624289282

Quote:
Trump on impeachment: "For Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer to continue on this path, I think it's causing tremendous danger to our county and it's causing tremendous anger. I want no violence."
Footage embedded in tweet.

Nice country you've got here. Be a shame if something were to...happen to it.
Old 12th January 2021, 09:38 AM   #453
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

*Hits the Democrats* When the cops show up you tell them you feel down the stairs do you hear me! *Hits them again*
Old 12th January 2021, 09:41 AM   #454
Tero
Master Poster

You have misunderstood the role of social media. You do not get the coverage from Parler Gab or even this forum. You have to have tens of millions read your message immediately. Otherwise it has no effect.

A Trump II, anyone, would need to tone down their populist message. But the Trumpsters by then have gone total conspiracy nut route, a toned down Trump will not work.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Tero; 12th January 2021 at 09:51 AM.
Tero is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 09:42 AM   #455
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1349018177624289282

Footage embedded in tweet.

Nice country you've got here. Be a shame if something were to...happen to it.
And looking at the crowded people in the background another superspreader party!
Old 12th January 2021, 11:28 AM   #456
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

In Rules Committee hearing, Jim Jordan opposes using 25A to remove Trump saying, "we should use this time to bring the nation together."
Chairman McGovern asks Jordan if he will say Biden "won fair and square."
Jordan refuses to say this.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 11:36 AM   #457
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
You have misunderstood the role of social media. You do not get the coverage from Parler Gab or even this forum. You have to have tens of millions read your message immediately. Otherwise it has no effect.

A Trump II, anyone, would need to tone down their populist message. But the Trumpsters by then have gone total conspiracy nut route, a toned down Trump will not work.
Two posts before yours, there's a post with Donald Trump talking, on Twitter.

Come to think of it, I don't use twitter. I don't have a twitter account. And yet, thanks to Captain Swoop, I have seen darned near every tweet Trump has made in the last year.

The next Trump will know how to get his message out, including his brief little tweet-like rants, to anyone who wants to see them, and a whole lot of people who don't want to see him. Don't count on private censorship to keep the message away from the public.
Old 12th January 2021, 11:46 AM   #458
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Brian Kilmeade on Fox again says Dems shouldn't pursue impeachment because Republicans are threatening mass violence

"We see what's happening around this country, how 50 state houses are being threatened on Inauguration Day, this is the last thing you want to do"
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 11:50 AM   #459
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Brian Kilmeade on Fox again says Dems shouldn't pursue impeachment because Republicans are threatening mass violence

"We see what's happening around this country, how 50 state houses are being threatened on Inauguration Day, this is the last thing you want to do"
I thought we didn't give in to terrorists.
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 11:53 AM   #460
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Exactly. As if letting him off the hook will stop violence.
Old 12th January 2021, 11:54 AM   #461
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
They were only joking about that.
Old 12th January 2021, 11:54 AM   #462
Jungle Jim
Graduate Poster

In Rules Committee hearing, Jim Jordan opposes using 25A to remove Trump saying, "we should use this time to bring the nation together."
Is that the same Jim Jordan who was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom?
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 12:00 PM   #463
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
Is that the same Jim Jordan who was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom?
By the way, is it to much to ask to not award the medal of freedom to pro golfers whose only qualification is their support of the president?
Old 12th January 2021, 12:10 PM   #464
Tero
Master Poster

Come to think of it, I don't use twitter. I don't have a twitter account. And yet, thanks to Captain Swoop, I have seen darned near every tweet Trump has made in the last year.

The next Trump will know how to get his message out, including his brief little tweet-like rants, to anyone who wants to see them, and a whole lot of people who don't want to see him. Don't count on private censorship to keep the message away from the public.
One little video. It's working spectacularly well at driving our Trump nuts.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Tero is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 12:18 PM   #465
wareyin
Philosopher

I don't tweet either, but my impression is that Captain Swoop wasn't even sharing 1/10th of Trump's tweets here.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 12:28 PM   #466
Paul2
Philosopher

That's the problem in a nutshell.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 12:39 PM   #467
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

If they can stay on that message every time a Trumper whines about divisiveness I think they may actually get something done.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 12:48 PM   #468
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
I don't tweet either, but my impression is that Captain Swoop wasn't even sharing 1/10th of Trump's tweets here.
Someday soon someone is going to publish a book with every single Trump Tweet during his Presidency in it. I expect it will be in a very small font.
Old 12th January 2021, 02:43 PM   #469
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

NEW: McConnell has told associates he believes Trump committed impeachable offenses and that he is pleased that Democrats are moving to impeach him!!! https://nytimes.com/2021/01/12/us/mc...-trump-mc.html
Old 12th January 2021, 02:44 PM   #470
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

McConnell backs the impeachment.

Quote:
Senator Mitch McConnell, the Republican leader, has told associates that he believes President Trump committed impeachable offenses and that he is pleased that Democrats are moving to impeach him, believing that it will make it easier to purge him from the party, according to people familiar with his thinking. The House is voting on Wednesday to formally charge Mr. Trump with inciting violence against the country.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 02:46 PM   #471
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Someday soon someone is going to publish a book with every single Trump Tweet during his Presidency in it. I expect it will be in a very small font.
"A" book?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 02:50 PM   #472
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
That means Trump is totally ******, right?

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 02:51 PM   #473
dasmiller

I saw that, too. I'm absolutely boggled.

I mean, I thought that McConnell had concluded that Trump was a liability and wanted him out, but I didn't think he'd actually let it be known that he felt that way.
Old 12th January 2021, 02:52 PM   #474
dasmiller

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
That means Trump is totally ******, right?

Dave
If McConnell openly takes a position like that, yes.
Old 12th January 2021, 02:52 PM   #475
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Quote:
Senator Mitch McConnell, the Republican leader, has told associates that he believes President Trump committed impeachable offenses and that he is pleased that Democrats are moving to impeach him, believing that it will make it easier to purge him from the party, according to people familiar with his thinking. The House is voting on Wednesday to formally charge Mr. Trump with inciting violence against the country.
McConnell backs the impeachment.
I'll believe it when I see him say it publicly.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 12th January 2021 at 03:04 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 02:56 PM   #476
dirtywick
Illuminator

i believe it, i think he lost a lot of the gop when he sent a mob of people in that wanted to kill half of them
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 03:07 PM   #477
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I think there have always been "half of them" who have hated him, but that hasn't stop them from enabling him and supporting him for the last 4 years including acquitting him in the last impeachment.
Old 12th January 2021, 03:13 PM   #478
dirtywick
Illuminator

I agree. they got a pretty visceral look at why that was a bad idea
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 03:31 PM   #479
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Re: Moscow Mitch backing impeachment...
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I'll believe it when I see him say it publicly.
I agree that some caution is warranted.

The referenced article only said that McConnell told "associates" he backs impeachment. Its possible that the information is wrong (maybe some misinterpretation going on). Or its also possible that McConnell agrees with impeachment from a philosophical point of view, but doesn't agree that Trump should be impeached at this point.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 03:35 PM   #480
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

LiZ Cheney will vote for impeachment

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics