IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Congressional hearings , donald trump , impeachment , Trump administration , Trump controversies , Trump impeachment

Old 14th January 2021, 11:36 AM   #761
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
Huh. I just noticed that the votes for impeachment numbered 232. Same as Trump's Electoral votes, 232.
Something spooky is happening here . There must be a hidden meaning to that number.
Old 14th January 2021, 11:43 AM   #762
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Nancy Pelosi is a real christian, devout and thoughtful. She also prays a lot.

But clearly not the christians' favourite sky-daddy prayer:

"Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us."
Old 14th January 2021, 11:58 AM   #763
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Something spooky is happening here . There must be a hidden meaning to that number.
The atomic weight of Uranium?

The birth of Emperor Probus in the Roman Empire?

The area code for phones dialed from Sierra Leone?
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 12:04 PM   #764
Explorer
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post

Trump was quite careful not to trespass himself though. He allegedly incited the mob to do that.

....and he inadvertently missed the bit about "lead us not into temptation".

Last edited by Explorer; 14th January 2021 at 12:06 PM.
Explorer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 12:15 PM   #765
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post

The Bible says a lot of things.

Proverbs says "When justice is done, it brings joy to the righteous but terror to evildoers."

It also says "To do righteousness and justice is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice.

and

It is not good to be partial to the wicked or to deprive the righteous of justice

The Psalms say "Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne"

Isaiah say "Thus says the Lord: “Keep justice, and do righteousness"

it also says "For I the Lord love justice; I hate robbery and wrong;"

We could quote the sky daddy all day long.
Old 14th January 2021, 12:16 PM   #766
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Are you sure that is real?
Snopes says yes...

"This is a genuine fundraising email for the Trump campaign. The above-displayed image was originally shared on Twitter by Aaron Blake, a senior political reporter with The Washington Post. Blake forwarded a copy of this email to us so that we could verify that this message was truly sent by an email address (contact@action.gop.com) connected to Trump’s re-election bid.

The email featured a link to a WinRed URL, a fundraising platform endorsed by the Trump campaign and the Republican National Committee, which contained a similar message informing people that they could receive a “Camo Keep America Great” hat by joining the Trump Army. The WinRed site stated that all donations will benefit the “Trump Make America Great Again Committee,” one of the campaign’s fundraising committees:"

And provides as well...

https://www.snopes.com/tachyon/2020/...aign-email.jpg

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 14th January 2021 at 12:29 PM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 12:19 PM   #767
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
A number of companies have done that, trading on a past reputation, but surely people eventually realise you're now selling crap?
They do........eventually.
Old 14th January 2021, 12:26 PM   #768
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
The Bible says a lot of things.

Proverbs says "When justice is done, it brings joy to the righteous but terror to evildoers."

It also says "To do righteousness and justice is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice.

and

It is not good to be partial to the wicked or to deprive the righteous of justice

The Psalms say "Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne"

Isaiah say "Thus says the Lord: “Keep justice, and do righteousness"

it also says "For I the Lord love justice; I hate robbery and wrong;"

We could quote the sky daddy all day long.
Don't forget Ezekiel 25:17
Quote:
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother’s keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 12:27 PM   #769
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I do wonder how much stuff is going to wind up being named after Trump.

I mean even Nixon got his Presidential Library and a couple of schools named after him; although nowhere near the amount other Presidents did.

I don't see a USS Donald J Trump aircraft carrier or Trump International Airport in the cards.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 12:29 PM   #770
Steve
Philosopher

It's the bible. All true Christians realize that you are supposed to pick and choose the bits that support your position and ignore the rest. There is a little something for everyone.
Old 14th January 2021, 12:30 PM   #771
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

I mean even Nixon got his Presidential Library and a couple of schools named after him; although nowhere near the amount other Presidents did.

I don't see a USS Donald J Trump aircraft carrier or Trump International Airport in the cards.
Perhaps a new fed prison?
Old 14th January 2021, 12:31 PM   #772
Reformed Offlian
Critical Thinker

Maybe a landfill on Staten Island. The Trump Dump.
Reformed Offlian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 12:31 PM   #773
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

We're back to Uranium-1, then?
Old 14th January 2021, 12:34 PM   #774
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Re: 232 as the number of electoral votes and impeachment votes...
Quote:
And Trump was trying to start a war with Iran over their enrichment of uranium! It all fits!
Quote:
The area code for phones dialed from Sierra Leone?
And that would be a country that Trump probably would have considered a ****-hole country.

It all fits!

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 12:41 PM   #775
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

A number of companies have done that, trading on a past reputation, but surely people eventually realise you're now selling crap?
Normal practice at that point is to change the brand name. However, the new title they tried out last week, 'Donald Trump’s Republican Party,' isn't all that popular for some reason.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 12:50 PM   #776
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

The Navy should name a target ship after him and let the John McCain fill it with holes.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 12:56 PM   #777
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Its been said before....

HA HA!

President Donald Trump, on the eve of facing a historic second impeachment trial for inciting the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol last week, is having trouble finding a legal team to defend him.
...Lawyers who defended him in the previous impeachment trial, including Jay Sekulow and White House Counsel Pat Cipollone, have said no this time...Other lawyers who have defended Trump at times, including former Florida attorney general Pam Bondi, Eric Herschmann, Pat Philbin and Marc Kasowitz aren’t interested in joining a team this time, the people said....More broadly, a number of prominent law firms have refused to engage in any legal representation involving the president’s actions following the Nov. 3 election.

Granted...when it comes to impeachment, it doesn't really matter what defense Trump puts up... republican senators will vote what's in the best interest of the GOP.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 12:57 PM   #778
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Or, as it turns out, a complete absence of any logically possible pretext.

Dave
This is what happens when you believe in the Trump-Russia hoax, the COVID hoax and the perfect Ukraine call hoax.

You conclude Trump has been impeached for bogus reasons, ergo Biden can be impeached for any bogus reason.

IOW, they really don't get it.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 12:58 PM   #779
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I think lawyers are finally starting to realize that it doesn't matter what insane conspiracy nonsense Trump spouts off in public as his defense, they can't go in front of a Judge and make the claims without evidence because Judges don't like it when you waste their time lying to them.
Old 14th January 2021, 01:03 PM   #780
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

I think lawyers are finally starting to realize that it doesn't matter what insane conspiracy nonsense Trump spouts off in public as his defense, they can't go in front of a Judge and make the claims without evidence because Judges don't like it when you waste their time lying to them.
It also doesn't help when word gets out about Trump refusing to pay Rudy Guiliani for his "legal" work.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 14th January 2021, 01:04 PM   #781
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Don't forget Ezekiel 25:17
Quote:
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother’s keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.

Or

"Check out the big brain on Brad."
Old 14th January 2021, 01:07 PM   #782
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
So there's a precedent, but is there a point? Is seeking a conviction worth the effort?

For my part, I wish the Senate would convene this afternoon, rush through some rule changes to allow a vote on conviction without needing the usual trappings of a trial, and actually vote him out, even with only a week left in office. However, that isn't going to happen, so is there a point in convicting him after his term ends? Seems like posturing to me. That's not horrible. Posturing isn't always a bad thing. It's just not something, at least in this case, that I can get all that excited about.
First, a Senate 'trial' should reveal a lot. But that is going to happen anyway.

Second, Pelosi wants to then vote that Trump cannot run for or hold a federal office.

That has interesting implications. It probably means Trump can't run in the GOP Primary. Maybe Mitch has that in mind.

It doesn't mean Trump can't run his 'donate to my campaign' scam.

The second one also means Trump will split the vote if it gets that far which I don't believe it will.

Right now Trump is leading "our cause" according to him. That could be a nightmare, or it will fizzle like Trump's other endeavors.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 01:11 PM   #783
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Trump reportedly "moped alone in 'self-pity mode'" while the impeachment was going on

That article links to something that has no doubt already been discussed in this thread, but which I'll post anyway just in case: McConnell is reportedly seriously considering convicting Trump in the Senate
From that first link, he's in the blame everyone but himself mode.

And as for McConnell, he wants to make sure Trump can't run in the GOP Primary in 2024.
Old 14th January 2021, 01:11 PM   #784
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"When you're the President and you order an armed violent mob to march on the Capitol, you essentially admit to doing so, there is footage of you doing it, 5 people are dead because of it, all because of you've spend years building up a conspiracy theory about a shadowy deep stealing the election from you then THERE SHOULD BE CONSEQUENCES" is either something you accept as true or you're not worth talking to.
Old 14th January 2021, 01:15 PM   #785
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
From that first link, he's in the blame everyone but himself mode.
Does he have any other mode?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 01:21 PM   #786
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Does he have any other mode?
Yes. He has the 'I'm going to win this' mode until he can't keep that denial up.
Old 14th January 2021, 01:33 PM   #787
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
The Navy should name a target ship after him and let the John McCain fill it with holes.
You know, the Air Force is developing a target drone, and I'm sure it'll need a name. Historically, the target drones were often orange . . .
Old 14th January 2021, 01:33 PM   #788
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
It also doesn't help when word gets out about Trump refusing to pay Rudy Guiliani for his "legal" work.
I'm sure I commented at the time that whilst I admired the grift in Giuliani's billing of Trump at $20k/day, it was a bit wasted on someone with such a reputation for not paying his lawyers.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 01:51 PM   #789
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe a Garbage Scow running out of New York?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 02:33 PM   #790
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I've been trying to predict how T**** can spin this, and I suggest the following:

"Not many people know this, but impeachment is a core American value, and I've done more than any other president ever to maintain that most precious of American rights. I'm the most perfectly impeached president ever, everyone says so."

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 02:38 PM   #791
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
What do you have against such a necessary and useful vessel?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 02:39 PM   #792
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Hopefully, the maximum security wing of the federal prison where he’ll spend the rest of his life.

Edit: Dammit, beaten to the punchline by Steve.

Last edited by johnny karate; 14th January 2021 at 02:42 PM.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 02:42 PM   #793
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Duplicate
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 03:04 PM   #794
Garrison
Philosopher

Yeah I'd like to introduce you to a little company called Boeing..
Old 14th January 2021, 03:08 PM   #795
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Yeah I'd like to introduce you to a little company called Boeing..
Craftsman, Marantz are two that come to my mind.
Old 14th January 2021, 03:09 PM   #796
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if The PDJT will have to actually testify this time? I know he didn't the first time around. If he has to swear to tell the truth, he's done for.
Old 14th January 2021, 03:12 PM   #797
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I'm sure I commented at the time that whilst I admired the grift in Giuliani's billing of Trump at $20k/day, it was a bit wasted on someone with such a reputation for not paying his lawyers.
When you aren't going to pay your lawyer anyway, why not offer some outrageous amount to lure them in to work for you?
Old 14th January 2021, 03:14 PM   #798
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I wonder if The PDJT will have to actually testify this time? I know he didn't the first time around. If he has to swear to tell the truth, he's done for.
You expect him to say something other than, "I don't recall"?
Old 14th January 2021, 03:21 PM   #799
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

I wonder if The PDJT will have to actually testify this time?
I would assume that Trump could invoke the fifth amendment and choose not to appear or testify.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 03:33 PM   #800
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

He could. He could claim Executive Privilege. He could invoke the Fifth. The Executive Privilege claim seems to be on questionable grounds. But he could claim it. This would slow the process down. Not sure by how much. But see below as an example of how long it could maybe take below.

Nixon was subpoenaed by Judge Sirica and Nixon refused claiming Executive Privilege "The President wants me to argue that he is as powerful a monarch as Louis XIV, only four years at a time, and is not subject to the processes of any court in the land except the court of impeachment". Sirica and Nixon appealed to SCOTUS on May 31st. SCOTUS heard oral arguments on July 8th. SCOTUS ruled 8 to 0 against Nixon on July 24, 1974. Just under 2 months which is fast for the court.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics