IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cancel culture , fox news , Fox News Channel , Lou Dobbs , media criticism

Old 5th February 2021, 06:31 PM   #1
grunion
Philosopher

Adios Lou Dobbs

In what will certainly be decried by his supporters as the latest manifestation of cancel culture, Lou Dobbs’ Show was dumped by Fox Business News just a day after he was named in a multi-billion dollar defamation lawsuit by Smartmatic Corporation. He had perpetuated the fictional story developed by the former President’s attorneys that Hugo Chavez had built secret back doors that allowed manipulation of their election software.

I think he will have a hard time resurfacing for awhile. Who would touch him?
“Of all the offspring of Time, Error is the most ancient, and is so old and familiar an acquaintance, that Truth, when discovered, comes upon most of us like an intruder, and meets the intruder's welcome.”
― Charles Mackay, 1841 - Extraordinary Popular Delusions And The Madness Of Crowds

Last edited by grunion; 5th February 2021 at 07:25 PM.
grunion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 06:33 PM   #2
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by grunion View Post
In what will certainly be decried by his supporters as the latest outpost of cancel culture, Lou Dobbs’ Show was dumped by Fox Business News just a day after he was named in a multi-billion dollar defamation lawsuit by Smartmatic Corporation. He had perpetuated the fictional story developed by the former President’s attorneys that Hugo Chavez had built secret back doors that allowed manipulation of their election software.

I think he will have a hard time resurfacing for awhile. Who would touch him?
OANN perhaps.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 06:36 PM   #3
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Not advertisers which is the real problem.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 07:20 PM   #4
SezMe
post-pre-born

I never liked Dobbs but he did appear to be a hard but sane conservative. I didn't watch him very much but I could understand why some would.

Then he completely went off the rails for Trump. Why? What influenced him and what pushed him from very conservative to just plain nutball? Did anyone try to intervene? Did Fox tell him to go all in on Trumpism? How did his family handle his conversion?

And so on.... I suspect there might be a fascinating story behind all this, one that delved in depth into the process of a meme taking over a brain and consuming it.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 07:27 PM   #5
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
I never liked Dobbs but he did appear to be a hard but sane conservative. I didn't watch him very much but I could understand why some would.

Then he completely went off the rails for Trump. Why? What influenced him and what pushed him from very conservative to just plain nutball? Did anyone try to intervene? Did Fox tell him to go all in on Trumpism? How did his family handle his conversion?

And so on.... I suspect there might be a fascinating story behind all this, one that delved in depth into the process of a meme taking over a brain and consuming it.
Look him up. It was apparently there for a long time but CNN wouldn't give him free reign when he was there (he did get birtherism on to CNN a long time ago).

ETA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lou_Do..._controversies

Long time evolution, no conversion.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 5th February 2021 at 07:39 PM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 07:27 PM   #6
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I suspect it's more to do with staying on the air by reading his audience and giving them what they wanted than anything else. He was riding the wave. And now it's coming back to bite him in the ass.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 5th February 2021 at 07:28 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 07:28 PM   #7
grunion
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
OANN perhaps.
Not a chance. They are crawling all over themselves to shield from legal liability from the My Pillow guy’s utterances.
“Of all the offspring of Time, Error is the most ancient, and is so old and familiar an acquaintance, that Truth, when discovered, comes upon most of us like an intruder, and meets the intruder's welcome.”
― Charles Mackay, 1841 - Extraordinary Popular Delusions And The Madness Of Crowds
grunion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 07:29 PM   #8
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I suspect it's more to do with staying on the air by reading his audience and giving them what they wanted than anything else. He was riding the wave.
Nah. Check the link I just put in to my post. He was dishing it out on CNN when his audience and channel didn't want it.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 07:34 PM   #9
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Not a chance. They are crawling all over themselves to shield from legal liability from the My Pillow guy’s utterances.
That was Newsmax.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 07:41 PM   #10
grunion
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
That was Newsmax.
It was both.
Originally Posted by The New York Times
Even OANN, which has courted election truthers, seemed to realize that “Absolute Proof” (Mr Lindell’s paid “disinfomercial” claiming election fraud) was volatile content. A mammoth disclaimer before the broadcast emphasized that Mr. Lindell purchased the airtime and that “the statements and claims expressed in this program are presented at this time as opinions only.”

The message is not so much “Don’t try this at home” as “Don’t try us in court.”
Old 5th February 2021, 07:42 PM   #11
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

It was both.
Yeah, but OANN still ran Lindell's crap.
Old 5th February 2021, 07:44 PM   #12
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Nah. Check the link I just put in to my post. He was dishing it out on CNN when his audience and channel didn't want it.
Wow...I had no idea he was a birther that long ago on CNN. Learn something new everyday.

ETA: That's what I get for trying to give these guys any benefit of the doubt, I guess.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 5th February 2021 at 08:12 PM.
Old 5th February 2021, 07:52 PM   #13
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Who is this Lou Dobbs you speak of, your honor?

Quote:
The cancellation comes a day after voting software company Smartmatic filed a $2.7 billion defamation suit against Fox News and three of its hosts — Dobbs, Maria Bartiromo and Jeanine Pirro. The company claims the hosts perpetuated lies and disinformation about Smartmatic’s role in the election, damaging its business and reputation.

Last edited by trustbutverify; 5th February 2021 at 07:53 PM.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 08:06 PM   #14
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Many in the FOX family still feel tremendous loyalty to Ailes and his way of doing things, and in a way, Trump inherited that loyalty.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 08:15 PM   #15
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Then he completely went off the rails for Trump. Why? What influenced him and what pushed him from very conservative to just plain nutball?. Did anyone try to intervene? Did Fox tell him to go all in on Trumpism? How did his family handle his conversion?

He accidentally fell into a giant vat of Just For Men?
Old 5th February 2021, 08:45 PM   #16
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I used to think Dobbs was normal. But I don't recall what he used to be like. I was shocked to see he was off the rails after CNN fired him and Fox hired him.

He's been crazy for a lot longer than his Trump sycophant beginnings.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 09:16 PM   #17
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

There are probably hundreds of thousands, perhaps even millions of reasons... and every one of then will be a dollar!
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 09:29 PM   #18
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Quote:
What influenced him and what pushed him from very conservative to just plain nutball?
There are probably hundreds of thousands, perhaps even millions of reasons... and every one of then will be a dollar!
If Dobbs and Fox were pushing a pro-Trump narrative for money, it seems to have backfired.

Not only are both Dobbs and Fox being hit with a lawsuit, but advertisers weren't exactly eager to buy ad time on his show.

But his program was a loss leader for Fox Business Network as major advertisers steered clear of it, probably out of fear of consumer boycotts.

(That article also suggests that the network had been thinking of replacing Dobbs for weeks/months, before the legal problems over voting machines happened.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 09:55 PM   #19
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Money trumps politics every time.
Old 6th February 2021, 01:08 AM   #20
Venom
Illuminator

I'd love for Lou Dobbs and Mike Lindell to feature on OAN together for the election ******** so they could get sued to oblivion.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2021, 01:15 AM   #21
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
He accidentally fell into a giant vat of Just For Men?
I remember seeing LD after some time and thinking, "What the hell did he do to his hair?" I always think it's so ridiculous to see those politicians, usually (R)s, with their "Oh I'm still so young" hair color.

There's something to be said with a bit of distinguished gray, or even lack thereof.
Old 6th February 2021, 01:22 AM   #22
angrysoba
Philosophile

I remember watching Lou Dobbs on CNN and always thought he was an unhinged nationalist.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2021, 01:33 AM   #23
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I remember seeing LD after some time and thinking, "What the hell did he do to his hair?" I always think it's so ridiculous to see those politicians, usually (R)s, with their "Oh I'm still so young" hair color.

There's something to be said with a bit of distinguished gray, or even lack thereof.
Oh, sure. Next you'll be telling us that Trump isn't still naturally blond and that tan isn't from playing golf. Although I do wonder why my hard earned tans were never that orangey color.
Old 6th February 2021, 02:19 AM   #24
SteveAitch
Scholar

Dodgy political hair? Check out Michael Fabricant MP...

"Fellow MPs have frequently suggested that Fabricant's blond hair is a wig. Fabricant has stated he has undergone some "enhancement of the follicular area", but has denied sporting a wig."

Mind you, he does at least have an excuse.
Old 6th February 2021, 02:41 AM   #25
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SteveAitch View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michae..._Fabricant.jpg
"Fellow MPs have frequently suggested that Fabricant's blond hair is a wig. Fabricant has stated he has undergone some "enhancement of the follicular area", but has denied sporting a wig."

He looks like he is trying to ape BoJo....like some fan boy trying to look like his idol. I don't think that is his real hair colour.
Old 6th February 2021, 02:45 AM   #26
SteveAitch
Scholar

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
He looks like he is trying to ape BoJo....like some fan boy trying to look like his idol. I don't think that is his real hair colour.
No, Mike has been like that for years!
Old 6th February 2021, 02:46 AM   #27
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

I think he was "incredibly" off the rails for a long time.

Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 6th February 2021 at 02:48 AM.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2021, 06:14 AM   #28
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Dominion really became the nut mainstream media couldn't crack. I'm a fan of Ken Popehat White, and he was talking about why Rudy can get away with defaming groups like The Lincoln Project....they can't prove damages because no one listening to Rudy was going to donate to the project anyway.

But with Dominion, state legislators do listen to that garbage and then make decisions about the law. The mainstream media went one step too far this time.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2021, 10:34 AM   #29
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

new press release:

Quote:
The Fox Corporation wishes to deny rumors that it is going into liquidation. Mrs. Kelly, who owns the flat where they live, has said that they can stay on till the end of the month.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2021, 02:00 PM   #30
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

That is a wig.
Old 6th February 2021, 02:14 PM   #31
carrps
Thinker

Reminds me a bit of Jim Traficant ... even the names are similar.

I've heard people claim that Traficant's hair used to sneak out at night and knock over trash cans.
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2021, 02:38 PM   #32
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

It looks like he decided to go as an older Robert Redford for Halloween but only had $1 for a costume.
Old 6th February 2021, 03:36 PM   #33
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I remember watching Lou Dobbs on CNN and always thought he was an unhinged nationalist.
I wonder if it started as an act then became real. He was quoted as saying something very moderate about immigration which was at odds with his on-screen persona - something like a path to citizenship/legality for illegal immigrants would be OK to him. I doubt if I can find the reference anywhere because this was 15 years ago when I first started following (the lack of) immigration reform in Congress.

He did shut down Sidney Powell pretty damn quickly when she said illegal immigrants were bringing in a paralytic children's disease. "Now, that could have come from anywhere," he chided her. Someone linked to that clip in a recent thread. I always wonder when, say, nationalists break ranks. Accusing immigrants of bringing diseases was too far for him to endorse at that point, it seems,
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2021, 08:57 PM   #34
paiute
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
that tan isn't from playing golf.
That is only tan if you are watching on a 1955 Zenith.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/36568510/A...-of-Cadaverine
paiute is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2021, 09:55 PM   #35
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post

Long time evolution, no conversion.
I now think that is correct; thanks for the link. BTW, out of idle curiosity I went over to Conserapedia to see what their bio contained. I was shocked - SHOCKED, I tell you - to see that none of those events are included.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2021, 01:44 PM   #36
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Fox will not change until their profits start to really drop.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2021, 03:15 PM   #37
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Fox will not change until their profits start to really drop.
And on that note, on NPR this morning they said sponsors were not Fox's main source of revenue. Apparently the fees they get from the cable companies to carry their broadcast is the main source of revenue. So the more viewers want Fox the more the company makes.

Oddly, I wonder how Dobbs was singled out given he wasn't the only Fox anchor named in the lawsuit. Maybe Dobbs refused to backtrack on air or something.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2021, 06:58 PM   #38
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Oddly, I wonder how Dobbs was singled out given he wasn't the only Fox anchor named in the lawsuit. Maybe Dobbs refused to backtrack on air or something.
That is a bit odd.

It may be that Fox thinks they can defend Bartiromo and Pirro because they are only accused of allowing Powell and Giuliani to spread lies on their program, but Dobbs actually said things about Smartmatic himself.

Or it could be communications. Fox may know that there is documentation that they gave approval for Bartiromo and Pirro but not for Dobbs. That would mean Fox is stuck with defending Bartiromo and Pirro but can send Dobbs out on his own.

Or it could be the terms of the contracts. Maybe Dobbs's contract gives him exclusive control over the content of his program, in which case Fox would say that whatever he said was on him and not Fox. They could argue that Fox could not control his content so they took him off the air when they became aware of the defamation.

Or it could be Dobbs wants to use a different legal strategy, so Fox is divorcing themselves from him. Or they got into a finger pointing match and plan to throw each other under the bus. Or just some internal friction where somebody called somebody names and they decided they are done with him.

Hard to say at this point.
Old 9th February 2021, 06:25 AM   #39
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
That is a bit odd.

It may be that Fox thinks they can defend Bartiromo and Pirro because they are only accused of allowing Powell and Giuliani to spread lies on their program, but Dobbs actually said things about Smartmatic himself.

Or it could be communications. Fox may know that there is documentation that they gave approval for Bartiromo and Pirro but not for Dobbs. That would mean Fox is stuck with defending Bartiromo and Pirro but can send Dobbs out on his own.

Or it could be the terms of the contracts. Maybe Dobbs's contract gives him exclusive control over the content of his program, in which case Fox would say that whatever he said was on him and not Fox. They could argue that Fox could not control his content so they took him off the air when they became aware of the defamation.

Or it could be Dobbs wants to use a different legal strategy, so Fox is divorcing themselves from him. Or they got into a finger pointing match and plan to throw each other under the bus. Or just some internal friction where somebody called somebody names and they decided they are done with him.

Hard to say at this point.
Or it could be that Dobbs' program is on a (legally?) separate piece of Fox (Fox Business Network?). Not sure.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2021, 07:51 AM   #40
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lou Dobbs
have a great weekend. the president makes such a thing possible for us all
https://twitter.com/bad_takes/status...66409295470593

What a freak. Good riddance.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics