IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th October 2020, 01:20 PM   #1
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Republican Retirements — The 2022 Edition

Quote:
Republican Senator Pat Toomey To Retire by Claudia Grisales

Pennsylvania Republican Sen. Pat Toomey jolted a new political fight for 2022,
announcing Monday that he'll retire from the Senate at the end of his current
term and won't mount a bid to become the state's next governor.
  • Senator Roy Blunt
  • Senator John Boozman
  • Senator Mike Crapo
  • Senator Chuck Grassley
  • Senator John Hoeven
  • Senator Ron Johnson
  • Senator John Kennedy
  • Senator James Lankford
  • Senator Mike Lee
  • Senator Jerry Moran
  • Senator Lisa Murkowski
  • Senator Rand Paul
  • Senator Rob Portman
  • Senator Marco Rubio
  • Senator Tim Scott
  • Senator Richard Shelby
  • Senator John Thune
  • Senator Pat Toomey
  • Senator Todd Young

Starting this one a little early.
Normally you wait till a year before the next election.

Oh, the list? Here’s the theory.

The Q Anonymous movement will change into a political wing of the
Republican Party and replace all the above conservative senators with
radical senators.

I’m not sure I believe it, but let's see what happens.

P. S. Rand Paul retire… Really?
Old 5th October 2020, 01:33 PM   #2
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

My early guesses:

Grassley will be 89 in 2022.
Burr (NC) faces some issues.

These two may well retire.

Murkowski could run as an independent and win.
Old 5th October 2020, 01:46 PM   #3
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
My early guesses:

Grassley will be 89 in 2022.
Burr (NC) faces some issues.

These two may well retire.

Murkowski could run as an independent and win.
Which is what she did in 2010.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2020, 02:14 PM   #4
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

If John Kennedy retired the overall IQ of the Senate will go up by several points.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2020, 12:53 AM   #5
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
If John Kennedy retired the overall IQ of the Senate will go up by several points.
And if he joined the White House Cabinet, both would go up by several points.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2020, 01:36 AM   #6
TheSupermeerkat
Muse

If Trump loses are any of that lot going to retire?
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2020, 06:25 AM   #7
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
If Trump loses are any of that lot going to retire?
Well as someone pointed out... Some are probably going to retire due to age. Others may have other political goals in mind (might someone like Murkowski have an interest in becoming gov of Alaska?) Some might think they have been tainted by their association with stubby Mcbonespurs (this putting reelection at risk) ant want to cash out, even if Trump is gone. (After all, if trump ends up defeated and then arrested, they may have to explain to their voters why they supported a con artist for 4 years)

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2020, 06:29 AM   #8
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Which is what she did in 2010.
Which makes that Sarah Palin video as funny as it is disturbing.
Old 6th October 2020, 06:36 AM   #9
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
[list]

Oh, the list? Here’s the theory.

The Q Anonymous movement will change into a political wing of the
Republican Party and replace all the above conservative senators with
radical senators.

I’m not sure I believe it, but let's see what happens.

P. S. Rand Paul retire… Really?
I can see maybe one seat going to a Qanon nut, maybe Thune's or Lankford's. At most, they will primary an unpopular Republican who is simply unpopular and was going to lose to a moderate Dem any way. Someone like Blunt. Qanon's "success" hinges on them turning most people away fro the Republicans. The problem for them is that they don't have the astroturfing the Tea Party did, so they won't be able to sell their movement to the American public in general.
Old 27th October 2020, 05:40 AM   #10
Firestone

Fun rumour I just read: Donald Trump Jr might primary Rubio in 2022.
Old 25th January 2021, 08:40 AM   #11
Firestone

Big news from Ohio: Ohio's Republican Senator Rob Portman won't run for re-election, cites 'partisan gridlock'.

https://eu.cincinnati.com/story/news...22/6696235002/
Old 26th January 2021, 11:01 PM   #12
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
How could he possibly share the name of one of our Greatest Presidents of any time?
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 12:50 PM   #13
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

The fun rumour that I heard is that it's actually Ivanka....

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 01:08 PM   #14
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

I am not sure if I should be happy or glad.

On the negative side... I'd hate to think of any of Trump's spawn anywhere within congress.

On the plus side... there is a certain poetic justice about seeing one of Trump's current boot-lickers get primaried by one of Trump's spawn. "Thanks for standing by Trump as he's facing charges related to terrorist activity... but your services are no longer required".

And hey, there is always a chance that it will cause republicans to lose... either Trump Jr. wins the primary and drives up the Anti-trump vote, or Rubio wins and causes some of the MAGAchud voters to skip the general election in protest, allowing the Democrats to win.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 01:27 PM   #15
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Here’s the theory.
The Q Anonymous movement will change into a political wing of the Republican Party and replace all the above conservative senators with radical senators.
Loony degeneracy into mainstream? Well, that surely won't end badly at all. It is not like there is any precedence of far-rightwing party full of nutty conspiracy theories getting into mainstream...
Old 27th January 2021, 01:27 PM   #16
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

CLear now the GOP has decided to go more or less full Trump;this iwll cost them in the end.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 01:41 PM   #17
Firestone

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
The fun rumour that I heard is that it's actually Ivanka....
Since I posted that in October the rumour has indeed shifted to Ivanka. The Kushners bought a property in Florida, so who knows.

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I am not sure if I should be happy or glad.

On the negative side... I'd hate to think of any of Trump's spawn anywhere within congress.

On the plus side... there is a certain poetic justice about seeing one of Trump's current boot-lickers get primaried by one of Trump's spawn. "Thanks for standing by Trump as he's facing charges related to terrorist activity... but your services are no longer required".

And hey, there is always a chance that it will cause republicans to lose... either Trump Jr. wins the primary and drives up the Anti-trump vote, or Rubio wins and causes some of the MAGAchud voters to skip the general election in protest, allowing the Democrats to win.
Rubio has been even more spineless lately than I thought physically possible.
Still, its Florida, not kind to Democrats these last years. Democrats winning that seat in the current climate would be a small miracle. But two years of Republican infighting (thanks to either of the Trumps), as you describe, maybe, just maybe could do it.
Old 27th January 2021, 02:04 PM   #18
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Re: Rubio being primaried by one of the Trump spawn...
Rubio has been even more spineless lately than I thought physically possible.
Still, its Florida, not kind to Democrats these last years. Democrats winning that seat in the current climate would be a small miracle. But two years of Republican infighting (thanks to either of the Trumps), as you describe, maybe, just maybe could do it.
Well, if it means anything, Rick Scott won his senate seat by less than 1% in the 2018 midterms, and the previous incumbent was a Democrat. So its not like Florida is a deep-red state like Alabama or Kentucky.... democrats can win there.

Rubio's margin of victory last time was a lot more comfortable (around 7%) though, so the Democrats would have a pretty steep hill to climb.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 8th February 2021, 10:10 AM   #19
Firestone

Alabama Senator Richard Shelby, who will be 88 in 2022, decides that 6 terms is enough, and won't run in 2022.

Gives Alabama the chance to elect a Senator even dumber than Tuberville, like say, Mo Brooks.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/08/p...ing/index.html

Last edited by Firestone; 8th February 2021 at 10:12 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2021, 12:23 PM   #20
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Now there's a rumor he'll primary Liz Cheney.

If he can find Wyoming on the map, that is.
Old 9th February 2021, 02:53 PM   #21
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Now there's a rumor he'll primary Liz Cheney.

If he can find Wyoming on the map, that is.
He knows where Wyoming is. It's where he can go to kill bison. It's probably on his Wish List.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 09:28 AM   #22
Firestone

Some news about the Florida race: Ivanka Trump apparently won't run, and has told so to Rubio (article from Maggie Haberman, the usual recipient for Kushner leaks).

Quote:
Ivanka Trump will not run for the U.S. Senate from Florida in 2022, according to people close to her as well as an aide to Senator Marco Rubio, who holds the seat.
“Marco did speak with Ivanka a few weeks ago,” said Nick Iacovella, a spokesman for Mr. Rubio. “Ivanka offered her support for Marco’s re-election. They had a great talk.”
The person, who spoke on condition of anonymity to disclose private discussions, said that Mr. Rubio’s office had asked Ms. Trump to hold off on making clear she was not running until April, when they hoped to hold a joint event with her.
Frankly, if I were Rubio, (the idea ), I would watch my back anyway.

In the same article, some news about the North Carolina race: Lara Trump won't run either.
Quote:
The discussion of whether Ms. Trump would seek the Senate seat in the battleground state came as her sister-in-law, Lara Trump, has let it be known that she was thinking of running for the U.S. Senate from her native state of North Carolina. But people briefed on the discussions said that Lara Trump is also unlikely to run.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/02...florida-senate

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics