IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th January 2021, 02:18 PM   #1
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

How bad it will get next week?

Pretty damn bad. I think the impeachment will inflame the TRumpers even more.
More people will die, sadly.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 02:22 PM   #2
Cavemonster
Philosopher

I think there have been people planning violence.
When it happens, Republicans will blame the impeachment.

And I find that pretty much in line with the attempts to shift responsibility we've seen from the GOP for a long long time. It's just another variation of the abuser's "Look what you made me do"
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 02:23 PM   #3
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Bad. It will be very bad.

I hope I am wrong.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 02:31 PM   #4
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Bad. It will be very bad.

I hope I am wrong.
I live in Sacramento and am goind to stay in my House as much as possible.
My Wife works downtown..though mainly at home because of the COvid..., near Capitol Park, and she goes in twice a week to get some stuff done she cannot do from home not next week.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 02:36 PM   #5
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

I am hoping it is a lot of sound and fury, but with the National Guards in place in many hotspots hope the insurrection-prone types will wander off muttering.

But I also expect something dumb to happen in a place where nobody expects, like North Dakota has a full seizing of the state legislature by Proud Boys and Oathkeepers, where the Republican lean had them feeling safe.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 02:38 PM   #6
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
My Wife works downtown..though mainly at home because of the COvid..., near Capitol Park, and she goes in twice a week to get some stuff done she cannot do from home not next week.
I'm working again, thus driving all over the Puget Sound. Including Olympia. I am.. concerned.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 02:40 PM   #7
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I had the feeling this morning that I should go out and stock up a bit.
Old 13th January 2021, 02:43 PM   #8
crescent
Illuminator

Devil's advocate:

1:Arrests of many of the Capitol rioters, however late, shows that such actions can have consequences adverse to the rioters. The social media name and shame campaign adds to that.

2: National Guard and Law Enforcement woke up and don't want to be embarrassed again. They seem to be much more alert now.

3: These people cry when the revolution is stopped by a can of mace. They need help getting down the steps. There are some pretty committed people in that movement, but the great majority will look at items #1 and #2 and wilt away.

They talk the talk but most of them are not brave enough to walk the walk, not if they know there will be consequences.

To add to that, most of them are just not terribly functional people. They don't really know how to take over the government, even if the government put up no resistance at all.

Now, if they could figure in advance how to blame it on Antifa....

Last edited by crescent; 13th January 2021 at 02:45 PM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 02:48 PM   #9
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
I am hoping it is a lot of sound and fury, but with the National Guards in place in many hotspots hope the insurrection-prone types will wander off muttering.

But I also expect something dumb to happen in a place where nobody expects, like North Dakota has a full seizing of the state legislature by Proud Boys and Oathkeepers, where the Republican lean had them feeling safe.
My concern is they will go after "Soft Targets" and create a big body count.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th January 2021, 02:56 PM   #10
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I expect that it will be the worst presidential transition since Lincoln.

I am sure that there will be at least several deaths, hundreds injured, and millions of dollars in damages around the country due to that POS Trump.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 02:58 PM   #11
Venom
Illuminator

I think will be a terrorist act somewhere or in a few places, possibly a car bomb or a shooting, a lot of chaos in others, maybe some destruction of property, most places just noise or too few to be a security threat.

I hope not.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 03:02 PM   #12
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

How not to name threads.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 03:07 PM   #13
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
I'm working again, thus driving all over the Puget Sound. Including Olympia. I am.. concerned.
That show of force in Olympia makes me feel much more comfortable.
Old 13th January 2021, 03:11 PM   #14
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
That show of force in Olympia makes me feel much more comfortable.
Danger is they might pick a softer targer like Democratic Headquarters in Washington.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th January 2021, 03:33 PM   #15
slyjoe
Master Poster

I think DC should be pretty safe. I do worry more about the idiots in the hinterland making some totally meaningless gesture causing injury or death.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 03:37 PM   #16
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
To add to that, most of them are just not terribly functional people. They don't really know how to take over the government, even if the government put up no resistance at all.
Along those lines, I suspect that they are not fundamentally interested in cooperating with each other, either.

It seems to me that every conspiracy theorist subscribes to a slightly different conspiracy theory.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 03:38 PM   #17
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Along those lines, I suspect that they are not fundamentally interested in cooperating with each other, either.

It seems to me that every conspiracy theorist subscribes to a slightly different conspiracy theory.
Kind of like religion.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 03:39 PM   #18
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Danger is they might pick a softer targer like Democratic Headquarters in Washington.
Always possible. Domestic terrorism is now by far the biggest threat to this country.
Old 13th January 2021, 03:54 PM   #19
angrysoba
Philosophile

Can she not make sure that those times she goes in are not on the 16th to 20th?

Weekend before the inauguration and the inauguration itself will be worth avoiding the capitol.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 03:58 PM   #20
dirtywick
Illuminator

maybe bad but I’m tired of coddling those snowflakes.

he ******* lost, time to stop entertaining their fantasies
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 04:00 PM   #21
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

If only there was some way to get these morans to go shoot at and then push over hundreds of miles of government-paid-for structures where it doesn't actually matter. So they can take out their anger in a more "constructive" way...

Here's an idea!

...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 04:01 PM   #22
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

The government should be doing three things:

1. Cut off their transportation and housing as much as possible. They should be canceling flights and buses, closing hotels, and setting up checkpoints on major roads and searching anyone suspicious.

2. A major show of force. If insurrectionists shoot, meet them with 100 times the force.

3. If any insurrectionists take over any buildings, cut off all power, heat, water and communications, and starve them out.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 04:02 PM   #23
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I predict mostly nothing. Lots of yapping. Not much else.

But I could be wrong, in which case that would totally suck.
Old 13th January 2021, 04:03 PM   #24
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

How would the PTB stop some drooling idiot buzzing the inauguration with a hobbyist drone they'd bought on Amazon? Obviously much worse things could happen - and well might - but minor but highly conspicuous 'demonstrations' seem highly likely to me. I wouldn't mind betting the ceremony is switched to indoors.
Old 13th January 2021, 04:04 PM   #25
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Devil's advocate:

1:Arrests of many of the Capitol rioters, however late, shows that such actions can have consequences adverse to the rioters. The social media name and shame campaign adds to that.

2: National Guard and Law Enforcement woke up and don't want to be embarrassed again. They seem to be much more alert now.

3: These people cry when the revolution is stopped by a can of mace. They need help getting down the steps. There are some pretty committed people in that movement, but the great majority will look at items #1 and #2 and wilt away.

They talk the talk but most of them are not brave enough to walk the walk, not if they know there will be consequences.

Now, if they could figure in advance how to blame it on Antifa....
Counterpoint:

These sound a bit like the rebuttals I've gotten online (I believe including this forum) when I expressed fear that Trump would activate his minions to violence to try to keep his position.

I've been hearing for two months that we'd never see a big crowd using violence for Trump because they would be too afraid or too weak or too geriatric to act violently when real consequences were on the line. That they were all bark.

That didn't turn out to be the case.

I would like to think some are discouraged, or disillusioned. But I know some are also enraged. I think more attempts at violence are pretty much certain. The question is whether their potential targets will be prepared enough to prevent more loss of life.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 04:10 PM   #26
Cain
Straussian

How GOOD will it get next week? The trees of liberty must be refreshed with the blood of patriots and tyrants. WE THE PEOPLE. Let's go!
Old 13th January 2021, 04:11 PM   #27
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
How would the PTB stop some drooling idiot buzzing the inauguration with a hobbyist drone they'd bought on Amazon? Obviously much worse things could happen - and well might - but minor but highly conspicuous 'demonstrations' seem highly likely to me. I wouldn't mind betting the ceremony is switched to indoors.
With a 2A shotgun wielded by a lawfully armed cop.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 04:16 PM   #28
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Devil's advocate:

To this point in particular, the D.C. National guard unit reports directly to the President.

Outside guard units can only assist in the capital given the authorization of the secretary of defense.

I don't know a whole lot about Christopher C. Miller, current acting secretary of defense, except that he was chosen by Trump after the election loss and he denied Maryland guard access until Pence stepped in.

I do not have great faith that the deployment of the DC guard or the cooperation with outside guard units will be managed in good faith, given they're in the hands of the same leader the violent insurectionists are trying to support.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Old 13th January 2021, 04:21 PM   #29
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Pull!
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 04:41 PM   #30
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
To this point in particular, the D.C. National guard unit reports directly to the President.

Outside guard units can only assist in the capital given the authorization of the secretary of defense.

I don't know a whole lot about Christopher C. Miller, current acting secretary of defense, except that he was chosen by Trump after the election loss and he denied Maryland guard access until Pence stepped in.

I do not have great faith that the deployment of the DC guard or the cooperation with outside guard units will be managed in good faith, given they're in the hands of the same leader the violent insurectionists are trying to support.
The Secret Service has taken over responsibility (and I think command authority) early.
Old 13th January 2021, 04:42 PM   #31
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

My prediction: pretty bad. Defined as a lot of riots and several deaths.
Old 13th January 2021, 04:49 PM   #32
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump just went bumpity bump then reversed and went bumpity bump again over his followers with the big red MAGA bus

https://nypost.com/2021/01/13/trump-...video-message/

Last edited by Stacyhs; 13th January 2021 at 04:50 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 04:52 PM   #33
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
The Secret Service has taken over responsibility (and I think command authority) early.
The same Secret service also headed by a very recent Trump appointee with reports of being riddled with Trump loyalists?

"Oh, but they're professionals, they're all about duty to country and peaceful transition"

Like the many off duty law enforcement who participated in the seige on democracy?

I'm not so sure my fears are entirely quelled.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Old 13th January 2021, 04:54 PM   #34
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think his rabid followers are already so worked up her himself can't call them off. That Trump was forced to make this statement is pretty clear.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th January 2021, 04:56 PM   #35
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Pull!
Old 13th January 2021, 04:57 PM   #36
AnonyMoose
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Trump just went bumpity bump then reversed and went bumpity bump again over his followers with the big red MAGA bus

https://nypost.com/2021/01/13/<span ...video-message/
Trump calling for peace and unity? Pfft. A day late and a dollar short, puddin'.... your snowball has already started to roll down the mountain.
Old 13th January 2021, 04:59 PM   #37
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

My youngest lives in Madison WI; she and her husband work from home and plan to stay far away from downtown.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 04:59 PM   #38
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post

https://nypost.com/2021/01/13/trump-...video-message/
Trump plans to make a number of these videos now that his socials have been strangled. All FAR too late because this won't make a whit of difference now. Some of the MAGAbeserkers have even left Trump behind in their push to catastrophe.

ETA: ninja'd by a moose. Oh the shame.
Old 13th January 2021, 05:01 PM   #39
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post

I'm with you.

It won't be terrible.

If they attack, they'll get repelled. Some might die. Most likely they won't have what it takes for that because they can see that there's no point.

I'm more concerned about what happens after the 20th. I think it will be bad (stochastic terrorism & political assassinations).
Old 13th January 2021, 05:10 PM   #40
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Out there on the balcony, in the middle of the inauguration ceremony? That would be a triumph for the drooling moron brigade and I don't think the PTB would want that even to be a possibility. Nah, I truly believe it will be switched to indoors.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics