IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th June 2022, 12:10 PM   #41
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sarge View Post
Is it possible that the ‘use of firearm” was concurrent with one of the burglary charges?

Surely 3 strikes laws do not apply when charges are ‘stacked’?
The text makes it unclear if the gun charge was part of one of the burglaries, so it is possible that there were only two incidents, despite the three convictions.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 02:58 PM   #42
ahhell
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Then surely a better and cheaper system would be to try and stop them from hitting that conveyor belt? Keep them out of jail, ensure they aren't in poverty and help with any medical issue I would have thought be a couple of ideas you could try?

I am sure there will still be many that wouldn't work for so not saying it would end the need for prisons and the like but surely the idea of locking someone up for life should only be reserved for the most heinous of crimes?
If any of that actually correlates with crime, especially violent crime, maybe, and of course, this isn't an either or sort of thing is it.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 03:18 PM   #43
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The strike zone is simply to broad. I can see it for violent Felony level crimes, but not for crap like what is going on in Mississippi.

Of course it is Mississippi; what can you expect?

As Tom Lehrer said in "I Want To Go Back To Dixie"?

"The land of the Boll Weevel,
Where the Laws are Medieval"...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 03:29 PM   #44
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Let me get this straight ... could 3 busts for marijuana possession see you in jail for life?
Old 21st June 2022, 05:40 PM   #45
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Let me get this straight ... could 3 busts for marijuana possession see you in jail for life?
Simple possession for personal use is not a felony, so no. And there appears to be no set limit, so the clear indication is that they got him on possession with intent to distribute; he probably had it it multiple baggies ready for sale.

Bingo.

Quote:
Russell was arrested in 2017 for possessing five bags of cannabis weighing a combined total of 79.5 grams (just over 2.5 ounces) that police discovered while executing a search warrant. Lab analysis of two of the bags determined they contained 43.71 grams (about 1.54 ounces) of cannabis, and Russell was indicted on one charge of possessing more than 30 grams but less than 250 grams of cannabis.
I'd love to hear what the other 36 grams was; Parsley? Oregano? Cutting his weed for resale apparently?
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 06:07 PM   #46
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Felony possession is a felony, so yes, if you commit three marijuana-related felonies, you'll go to jail for a very long time apparently.

Felony possession is typically calibrated to having enough drugs to be plausibly considered a dealer, rather than just a user. Presumably you agree that dealing illegal drugs should be a felony.
Old 22nd June 2022, 06:24 AM   #47
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I'd love to hear what the other 36 grams was; Parsley? Oregano? Cutting his weed for resale apparently?
Stems, sticks and seeds would be my guess. Though I'd also guess that he got some pretty terrible weed. If he was padding his weed bags then he deserves life in prison.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2022, 06:27 AM   #48
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Felony possession is a felony, so yes, if you commit three marijuana-related felonies, you'll go to jail for a very long time apparently.

Felony possession is typically calibrated to having enough drugs to be plausibly considered a dealer, rather than just a user. Presumably you agree that dealing illegal drugs should be a felony.
Depends on the drugs. As was debated in the rape case, lots of other states have no issues with people possessing weed. I can get up to 75 grams, and 4,000 mg of oil\resin\tincture\etc. every 30 days with my medical card in North Dakota. I think this was what they could get him on so that's what they got him on, but I don't think that's what they were looking for.

The irony is I keep all of my weed in different jars with labels on them so I don't forget which is which. I wonder if I'd get popped for a felony too.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2022, 02:23 PM   #49
lobosrul5
Illuminator

What great use of taxpayer funds. It costs something like 40k a year to imprison someone. Seems a fair cost for keeping someone from sitting on the couch in front of the TV and getting the munchies /s

A simple cost/benefit analysis would show how insanely stupid this is. Is the benefit to society worth spending $40,000 per annum? Yea or nay? Is there a victim of the crime to consider how they would feel about the accused being free (sense of justice and safety). Yea or nay? If the answer to both of those questions is nay then imprisonment makes no sense.

Thats before stating the obvious: its among the dumbest ******* **** in the world that alcohol is legal while THC isn't.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2022, 03:08 PM   #50
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
What great use of taxpayer funds. It costs something like 40k a year to imprison someone. Seems a fair cost for keeping someone from sitting on the couch in front of the TV and getting the munchies /s
And completely destroys his life, which bears mentioning.

Three strikes laws are insanely punitive for no good reason. In addition to not working particularly well as deterrence, they create perverse incentives. Introduction of three-strikes laws is correlated with sharp increases in assaults on police. Bad policy left over from the dumb-on-crime era.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events