IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags media criticism , police incidents , police issues , police misconduct charges

Old 19th October 2021, 02:01 PM   #1
SuburbanTurkey

Copaganda/Torturing the English language whenever a cop kills someone

AP style guide:

Quote:
“Avoid the vague ‘officer-involved’ for shootings and other cases involving police. Be specific about what happened. If police use the term, ask: How was the officer or officers involved? Who did the shooting? If the information is not available or not provided, spell that out.”

A fine tradition of American journalism is to absolutely abuse the human language when writing about how a cop caused someone's death. Seems like a fine place to collect them:

How many times do you have to read this to figure out what happened:

Originally Posted by ABC Action News (Tampa)
According to the Florida Highway Patrol, the trooper entered the path of the motorcyclist which led him to crash into the cruiser and become ejected. Troopers said the motorcyclist then fell into the road and was hit by a semi.
https://twitter.com/abcactionnews/st...02594418008064

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 19th October 2021 at 02:02 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2021, 02:39 PM   #2
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
AP style guide:

A fine tradition of American journalism is to absolutely abuse the human language when writing about how a cop caused someone's death. Seems like a fine place to collect them:

I'm sure it won't be difficult for them to find a way to charge the driver of the semi with vehicular homicide.
Old 19th October 2021, 02:51 PM   #3
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

AP style guide:

There's nothing wrong with the style guide. It basically says "Tell what happened; don't rely on police terminology." But that can't prevent plain bad writing.

It sounds like the sentence could be re-written something like this:
Quote:
According to the Florida Highway Patrol, a motorcyclist struck a police cruiser when the cruiser crossed the path of the motorcycle. The motorcyclist was thrown into the road and struck by a semi.
Does that cover it?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2021, 02:51 PM   #4
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I'm sure it won't be difficult for them to find a way to charge the driver of the semi with vehicular homicide.
The carrier has already booked an seven figure liability. And their insurer is thinking about dropping them.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2021, 02:56 PM   #5
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
The carrier has already booked an seven figure liability. And their insurer is thinking about dropping them.
Right, because no matter whose fault it really is, if you have money, a jury will give a chunk of it to a plaintiff.
Old 19th October 2021, 03:22 PM   #6
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Flying without landing permit.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2021, 03:35 PM   #7
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

It has a name: the past exonerative tense.

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/...iguous-grammar
Beelzebuddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2021, 04:17 PM   #8
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

A typical one from one of our more creative policemen from some time back: "The suspect threw his head on my boot with great force. About six or seven times."
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2021, 04:18 PM   #9
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Some of you might work out exactly what this video will be before you open it

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2021, 04:19 PM   #10
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
A typical one from one of our more creative policemen from some time back: "The suspect threw his head on my boot with great force. About six or seven times."
Was his name Jasper Carrot?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by smartcooky; 19th October 2021 at 04:23 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2021, 04:36 PM   #11
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Was his name Jasper Carrot?

I AGREE
Nope. The policeman one I think was from the Depression era. Looks like Carrot picked up that list from someone in a pub. They are almost traditional yarns, and have been around a VERY long time.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2021, 04:43 PM   #12
Distracted1
Philosopher

AP style guide:

Without checking the link, the sentence seems to be stating that the Trooper was not in the "cruiser" when entering the path of the motorcycle. Is that accurate?

If the Trooper was in the car when entering the path of the motorcycle, it would have been more illustrative to state that "The Troopers "cruiser" entered the path of the motorcycle, no?
Old 19th October 2021, 05:31 PM   #13
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

"Brave Trooper violently assaulted from behind by thug biker, who then vandalized a nearby semi's grill."

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2021, 06:10 PM   #14
Warp12
King of Kings

Quote:
Avoid the vague ‘officer-involved’ for shootings and other cases involving police. Be specific about what happened. If police use the term, ask: How was the officer or officers involved? Who did the shooting? If the information is not available or not provided, spell that out.”
Is this really controversial suggestion? Give me a break.
Old 19th October 2021, 06:14 PM   #15
SuburbanTurkey

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Is this really controversial suggestion? Give me a break.
Considering the frequency in which journalists parrot cop press release language in their own publications, it's obviously still a problem.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2021, 09:36 PM   #16
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post

That's actually pretty clever, well worth a minute to read.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2021, 03:18 AM   #17
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post

That's an excellent article.
Old 20th October 2021, 07:17 AM   #18
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That's an excellent article.
It is indeed, and it's clear the dog did not run fast enough.

bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2021, 09:48 AM   #19
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Oh, give the police a break. People who look like they're about to become violent are everywhere, and the officers need a free hand to protect the rest of us from them.
Old 20th October 2021, 09:53 AM   #20
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Oh, give the police a break. People who look like they're about to become violent are everywhere, and the officers need a free hand to protect the rest of us from them.
ITYM 'Officer involvement in anticipation and prevention of future criminal acts requires a broad mandate on the part of the Department, as well as the support and understanding of the general public. '

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2021, 11:05 AM   #21
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Oh, give the police a break. People who look like they're about to become violent are everywhere, and the officers need a free hand to protect the rest of us them from them us.
FTFY
Old 20th October 2021, 12:14 PM   #22
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, yeah! Shoot on sight! Right?
Old 20th October 2021, 03:47 PM   #23
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
There's nothing wrong with the style guide. It basically says "Tell what happened; don't rely on police terminology." But that can't prevent plain bad writing.

It sounds like the sentence could be re-written something like this:

Does that cover it?
How about... "Police develop Pit Maneuver technique for two wheel vehicles."

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2021, 06:58 PM   #24
Myriad

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Yeah, yeah! Shoot on sight! Right?

Well, not shoot, but grab and beat up and drag away is fine. Provided that...

The cops didn't grab this guy because he engaged in wrongthink, they grabbed him because it seemed like he was about to start a fight.
Old 3rd November 2021, 02:38 AM   #25
SuburbanTurkey

Quote:
Source: CPD Officer Hit in Chest After Gun Discharges During Argument With Wife
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...-wife/2668909/

Guns just be going off on their own during vague "arguments".
Old 3rd November 2021, 02:45 AM   #26
Myriad

I bet he seemed like he was about to start a fight.
Old 3rd November 2021, 02:58 AM   #27
erwinl
Illuminator

Was this a question of 'This is my rifle, this is my gun'? Because this is what I hear in my mind, if I read the title of the report.
Old 3rd November 2021, 03:01 AM   #28
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

How exactly, I wonder, does making the gun the actor in this sentence construction square with "Guns don't kill people, people kill people"?

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2021, 06:33 AM   #29
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Hey loud language is well know to make firearms just go off.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2021, 06:47 PM   #30
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Hey loud language is well know to make firearms just go off.
Guns can sometimes be startled by unexpected loud noises or movements and attack because they are frightened.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2021, 09:10 PM   #31
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Bah, nm.
Beelzebuddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 11:44 AM   #32
SuburbanTurkey

Quote:
Major Media Outlets Can’t Stop Describing Police Violence As ‘Officer-Involved’ Incidents
Following the murder of George Floyd, The Associated Press issued guidance that reporters should not describe instances where police shot someone with neutral language. It didn't work.

Usage of the phrase declined in 2020, but following Floyd’s murder — and, two months later, the new AP guidance — it began to climb back up in 2021. In August of last year, “officer-involved” appeared 56 times, and was used at least once in 8% of all articles about police violence in that month. This represents a return to the rates in the mid-2000s, after usage of “officer-involved” had begun to significantly increase.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/polic...b0a26702885448
Old 18th January 2022, 09:14 AM   #33
SuburbanTurkey

Local news keeping open the possibility that the dogs were killed by an unidentified shooter on the grassy knoll.

Quote:
Caught On Video: Miami-Dade Police Officer Discharges Weapon; Dog Shot, Killed
https://miami.cbslocal.com/2022/01/1...g-in-dead-dog/
Old 18th January 2022, 10:43 AM   #34
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

Is "dog shot" a term like "360 no scope"?
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2022, 06:30 PM   #35
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

I'm waiting for " Another idiot wearing a badge murdered someone today."
Old 18th January 2022, 06:59 PM   #36
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Considering the frequency in which journalists parrot cop press release language in their own publications, it's obviously still a problem.
Which is all they have to go on. Perhaps you would prefer the reporter got a little creative?

The motorcyclist was riding along at a reasonable and prudent speed when a cop, no doubt assuming the motorcyclist was Black, swerved intentionally into his lane, murdering him in cold blood.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2022, 07:15 PM   #37
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Which is all they have to go on. Perhaps you would prefer the reporter got a little creative?

The motorcyclist was riding along at a reasonable and prudent speed when a cop, no doubt assuming the motorcyclist was Black, swerved intentionally into his lane, murdering him in cold blood.
Yes, if only there was some alternative that has already been clearly stated in this thread, readily apparent to anyone arguing in good faith.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2022, 07:30 PM   #38
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I think the problem here is that somewhere along the line, an editorial decision has been made that it is better to equivocate in the initial reporting of an incident than to retract a definitive statement that was wrong. That's why you see the word "alleged" so often. Editors go to great lengths to avoid saying "this person did a thing" because even if they do have to print a retraction, people will remember the incorrect statement, not the subsequent retraction.
Old 19th January 2022, 12:59 AM   #39
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
because even if they do have to print a retraction, people will remember the incorrect statement, not the subsequent retraction.
Sometimes I get the impression certain media relies on this when they print their "news".
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2022, 08:16 AM   #40
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I think in the US at least the use of "alleged" is common because in criminal cases a person is presumed innocent until proven guilty, and even in the most obvious cases pre-conviction is at least bad form.

This is separate from the issue of passive voices and the like. You can still say something like "the cop is alleged to have pumped seventeen bullets into the motorist" without saying a motorist underwent bullet trauma or something.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events