IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th June 2022, 11:48 AM   #1
Mojo
Mostly harmless

‘Blasphemous’ film cancelled

UK cinema chain cancels screenings of ‘blasphemous’ film after protests

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2022, 01:10 PM   #2
BobTheCoward
Suspended

I went to find a statement from the article
Edited by jimbob:  Removed Pointless derail about BobTheCoward's personal lack of comprehension

Quote:
Signed by the chairman, Asif Patel, it stated: “You many well be aware of the recently released film ‘Lady of Heaven’ which has caused much distress to Muslims across the globe.

“It is underpinned with a sectarian ideology and is blasphemous in nature to the Muslim community.

“It grossly disrespects the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) in many ways and is deeply disturbing to every Muslim.

“It also misrepresents orthodox historical narratives and disrespects the most esteemed individuals of Islamic history.

“The storyline begs the question to what extent the producers had considered the huge impact of this film upon the Muslim community and notions of sacredness dearly held by them.”

It adds: “In Bolton, we are a very diverse community and are very respectful of each other’s culture and honour on community cohesion.
Edited by jimbob:  see above

Last edited by jimbob; 9th June 2022 at 01:47 AM.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2022, 02:12 PM   #3
Olmstead
Graduate Poster

Geeks can get pretty passionate about their favourite franchise. Like that time Mace Windu turned up with a purple lightsaber.
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2022, 12:40 PM   #4
KAJ
Student

Guardian
Quote:
Health secretary Sajid Javid has said he is “very concerned about cancel culture in the UK” after screenings of a “blasphemous” film about the daughter of the Prophet Muhammad were pulled from cinemas.
KAJ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2022, 01:19 PM   #5
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Someone drove a bus into the local indie theater that was showing The Last Temptation of Christ when I was a kid.

Amateurs.

Last edited by mumblethrax; 8th June 2022 at 01:21 PM.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2022, 04:26 PM   #6
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I went to find a statement from the article
Edited by jimbob:  moderated content removed
Presumably they don't want to be murdered or have their theater bombed.

Quote:
this is a Shia-aligned film
I'm certainly no expert on the topic, but I think what Shias believe is considered blasphemous, sacrilegious, and heretical by Sunni Muslims.

By the way, you can still see the film in the UK, just not at that particular theater chain.

Last edited by jimbob; 9th June 2022 at 01:48 AM.
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2022, 05:38 PM   #7
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Just for reference, since Bob didn't provide a link, the statement he quoted is from the Bolton Council of Mosques (BCoM), not the theater company.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...eaven-24174740

The statement is easy to understand, whether or not you agree with it. No mystery to me. Just as some Christians wanted to ban Life of Brian back in the day.
Old 8th June 2022, 06:00 PM   #8
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Just for reference, since Bob didn't provide a link, the statement he quoted is from the Bolton Council of Mosques (BCoM), not the theater company.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...eaven-24174740

The statement is easy to understand, whether or not you agree with it. No mystery to me. Just as some Christians wanted to ban Life of Brian back in the day.
"Just like" some Christians got Life of Brian dropped from theaters over totally reasonable and appropriate concerns about a massive wave of deadly terror attacks if they didn't immediately comply, you mean? "Just like" that?
Old 8th June 2022, 06:07 PM   #9
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
"Just like" some Christians got Life of Brian dropped from theaters over totally reasonable and appropriate concerns about a massive wave of deadly terror attacks if they didn't immediately comply, you mean? "Just like" that?
Christians literally carried out a terrorist attack and made death threats when The Last Temptation of Christ came out.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2022, 06:53 PM   #10
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

What does that have to do with the fact that it is a perfectly clear and understandable argument, whether one agrees with it or not?
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2022, 08:00 PM   #11
Warp12
King of Kings

Quote:
Cineworld said it took the decision to cancel all showings of The Lady of Heaven to “ensure the safety of our staff and customers”.

Well, I guess we have learned our lesson from the Charlie Hebdo thing. See, terrorism does work!
Old 8th June 2022, 08:19 PM   #12
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

If you go back far enough, Christians were burning people they considered heretics and blasphemers at the stake. I was just thinking of something more recent.
Old 8th June 2022, 09:32 PM   #13
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
Christians literally carried out a terrorist attack and made death threats when The Last Temptation of Christ came out.

Yes, but that doesn't count if you are a conservative. Back in the day, there were several terrorist attacks during a conflict between two Christian factions in Northern Ireland, but not due to movies. Nowadays, some people who call themselves skeptics distinguish carefully between our kind of religion and their kind of religion. It was almost as if they had been longing to make that distinction when the cartoon controversy made it kosher for them to do so.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2022, 10:01 PM   #14
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
What's the bet that the people wanting the movie banned haven't actually seen the movie?
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2022, 01:59 AM   #15
Carrot Flower King
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
What's the bet that the people wanting the movie banned haven't actually seen the movie?
I thought that was obligatory in any of these manufactroversies?
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2022, 04:29 AM   #16
SuburbanTurkey

The guardian provides useful context for an American who finds this kind of thing a bit odd. Apparently various British authorities have decent amount of leverage to make it difficult to screen "offensive" material, however they seem fit to define that.

I suppose if a bunch of prudes can censor a Cronenberg flick, then I don't see how this current censorious outrage is particularly unusual. ISF is useful in reminding an American that not every country has such a free-wheeling approach to speech and artistic expression, for better or worse.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 9th June 2022 at 04:33 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2022, 04:39 AM   #17
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

This is a decision by a private company, one that I suspect likes to make money and it isn't worried it's going to lose much revenue from cancelling the showing of this movie (oh no cancel culture!!) so it can say it's due to concerns about the safety of their staff and their customers. There isn't any information that I've seen that indicates the protests have been violent or threatened violence. I am certain that if this level of protest had been raised against say a Harry Potter movie they would have ignored the protests. It's money not fear at the back of this decision.

Should private companies not be allowed to make their own decisions? And be forced by (presumably) the state to put on movies they don't want to show because of "free speech"?

Last edited by Darat; 9th June 2022 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Corrected links
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2022, 04:44 AM   #18
SuburbanTurkey

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
This is a decision by a private company, one that I suspect likes to make money and it isn't worried it's going to lose much revenue from cancelling the showing of this movie (oh no cancel culture!!) so it can say it's due to concerns about the safety of their staff and their customers. There isn't any information that I've seen that indicates the protests have been violent or threatened violence. I am certain that if this level of protest had been raised against say a Harry Potter movie they would have ignored the protests. It's money not fear at the back of this decision.

Should private companies not be allowed to make their own decisions? And be forced by (presumably) the state to put on movies they don't want to show because of "free speech"?
That's a good point. This example is significantly less censorious than the examples given in the Guardian, which involved governments or councils* banning theatres from showing films.

*UK is weird. Are councils just like mega-HOAs? What a nightmare
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2022, 04:52 AM   #19
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
That's a good point. This example is significantly less censorious than the examples given in the Guardian, which involved governments or councils* banning theatres from showing films.

*UK is weird. Are councils just like mega-HOAs? What a nightmare
Local authorities aka councils are our local governments.

In the UK we tend to reserve the word "government" to indicate the national government/s.
Old 9th June 2022, 06:09 AM   #20
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
The guardian provides useful context for an American who finds this kind of thing a bit odd. Apparently various British authorities have decent amount of leverage to make it difficult to screen "offensive" material, however they seem fit to define that.

I suppose if a bunch of prudes can censor a Cronenberg flick, then I don't see how this current censorious outrage is particularly unusual. ISF is useful in reminding an American that not every country has such a free-wheeling approach to speech and artistic expression, for better or worse.

I remember back when AM radio raving lunatic Michael Savage was permanently barred from entering the UK for "seeking to provoke others to serious criminal acts and fostering hatred." He was constantly ranting about how they were violating his Constitutional rights, not really acknowledging that they're a different country with different laws and different rights.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2022, 11:28 AM   #21
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Nice defence of cowardice and giving in to extremists.
'i guess I will have lay it out to you: the existence of freedom often requires courage. Always had, always, will. Freedom is never free and never withour risk
ANd, yes, its' about fear.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2022, 12:13 PM   #22
Warp12
King of Kings

This is a decision by a private company, one that I suspect likes to make money and it isn't worried it's going to lose much revenue from cancelling the showing of this movie (oh no cancel culture!!) so it can say it's due to concerns about the safety of their staff and their customers.

I suspect it IS about a concern for safety...from a financial standpoint, at least. I don't know what litigation is like there, but in the US I can easily see a lawsuit against the company if someone is injured/killed at a showing if there have been any public threats (which you can almost be assured there are/will be, even if lightly taken).

Last edited by Warp12; 9th June 2022 at 12:14 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2022, 12:28 PM   #23
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
'i guess I will have lay it out to you: the existence of freedom often requires courage. Always had, always, will. Freedom is never free and never withour risk
A private company should show a movie that they don't feel is in the best interests for their employees or the businesses that they own and you're crowing about "MAH FREEDUMBZ"?

Seriously, get over it. No one is sacrificing freedoms here. There is no courage in showing this movie. It's just a ******* movie, and it really doesn't sound like all that great of one at that. It's got 20% on Rotten Tomatoes, 5.9\10 from IMDb. Certainly doesn't sound like a movie I'd want to even risk it over.

No need to go all Mel Gibson screaming "FFFFRRRREEEDDDOOOOMMMM" over a ****** movie.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2022, 12:29 PM   #24
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
A private company should show a movie that they don't feel is in the best interests for their employees or the businesses that they own and you're crowing about "MAH FREEDUMBZ"?

Seriously, get over it. No one is sacrificing freedoms here. There is no courage in showing this movie. It's just a ******* movie, and it really doesn't sound like all that great of one at that. It's got 20% on Rotten Tomatoes, 5.9\10 from IMDb. Certainly doesn't sound like a movie I'd want to even risk it over.

No need to go all Mel Gibson screaming "FFFFRRRREEEDDDOOOOMMMM" over a ****** movie.

I agree. Any time there is a perceived threat of terror/harm, we should play it safe. We don't want to get those extremists upset again. No matter what.

That's why those Charlie Hebdo cats took slugs to the brain, after all. To demonstrate that we should give in to threats and terror.

Last edited by Warp12; 9th June 2022 at 12:32 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2022, 12:36 PM   #25
Matthew Best
Philosopher

But it wouldn't be the bigwigs at the cinema company taking the risk, they'd be putting their minimum-wage earning staff on the frontline and letting them take the risk.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2022, 12:47 PM   #26
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Who was I defending?
Old 9th June 2022, 12:52 PM   #27
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
I suspect it IS about a concern for safety...from a financial standpoint, at least. I don't know what litigation is like there, but in the US I can easily see a lawsuit against the company if someone is injured/killed at a showing if there have been any public threats
But this wasn't in the USA. And as far as I know we have never had such lawsuits over here, even during our recent civil war..

(which you can almost be assured there are/will be, even if lightly taken).
I'm not.
Old 9th June 2022, 01:01 PM   #28
bignickel
Mad Mod Poet God

I do remember the time I saw "The Passion of St Tibulus" at the local art movie house... The only protesters I noticed were a pair of priests outside with signs saying "Down with this sort of thing" and "Careful now"...
"You can find that book everywhere and the risk is that many people who read it believe that those fairy tales are real. I think I have the responsibility to clear things up to unmask the cheap lies contained in books like that."
- Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone
bignickel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2022, 02:15 PM   #29
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Who was I defending?
Tread carefully. You are two moves away from being called a racist.
Old 9th June 2022, 02:22 PM   #30
Checkmite

The cinema chain has, in fact, explicitly stated that they've decided not to show the movie because of poor expected returns, not because of fears about violence.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2022, 02:28 PM   #31
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
The cinema chain has, in fact, explicitly stated that they've decided not to show the movie because of poor expected returns, not because of fears about violence.

Uhh...seems like conflicting messages:

Quote:
“Due to recent incidents related to screenings of ‘The Lady of Heaven,’ we have made the decision to cancel upcoming screenings of the film nationwide to ensure the safety of our staff and customers,” a spokesperson from Cineworld told Variety.
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/c...ed-1235287967/
Old 9th June 2022, 02:38 PM   #32
Checkmite

Uhh...seems like conflicting messages:
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/c...ed-1235287967/
Seems like a different chain. I was referring to a statement made by rival chain Vue which stated that some of its locations chose not to screen the movie "for a variety of commercial and operational factors". This statement is referenced at the end of that article; but it appears that Vue was not the company mainly being talked about in this thread, my mistake.
Old 9th June 2022, 09:58 PM   #33
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

This just in: press releases and public statements on controversial topics by government officials and corporate PR flacks may contain untrue or misleading statements. Stay tuned for further developments in this fast-moving story.

"Operational factors" isn't exactly an unknown obfuscation term for safety. I would also dare say a violent attack at a place of business might have some impact on customer volume and resulting revenues (and their insurance premiums).

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 9th June 2022 at 10:01 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2022, 11:05 PM   #34
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Has anybody here seen the film? I doesn't sound as if it's worth watching ... unless, of course, it makes you think of yourself as heroically courageous and brave unlike others who just don't give a **** about a ****** boring movie and have thus succumbed to their own cowardice:

Quote:
This wayward, occasionally handsome account of the story of Fatima is more interesting on paper than in practice.
(...)
And for a film that aims to promote religious diversity and freedom of thought, its metronomic alteration between time frames, narrative slavishness and laughable coda have. suffocating sense of orthodoxy.
The Lady of Heaven review - ambitious religious epic about Muhammad's daughter (The Guardian, May 30, 2022)

It sounds like the kind of film that would require a mob of armed Taliban warriors appearing outside the movie theatre for it to become slightly interesting.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2022, 03:25 AM   #35
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Of course they should be free to not show any movie.

But they should also be free to show it, without putting their safety at risk.

Quote:
Cineworld said it took the decision to cancel all showings of The Lady of Heaven to “ensure the safety of our staff and customers”.
I think it's the implied threat of violence that people are objecting to. They shouldn't have to cancel a movie to "ensure the safety of our staff and customers". If they want to cancel it for other reasons, fine.

Among other things that the Guardian reported:

Quote:
A video circulating online showed the manager of Sheffield Cineworld telling protesters that Sunday night’s screening had been cancelled, to cries of “Allahu Akbar” (God is great).
"Allahu Akbar" also happens to be a slogan that Islamic terrorists are fond of yelling as they carry out their attacks.

Whether they intended it or not, this is something that strikes fear in the hearts of many people due to its association with terrorism.
Old 10th June 2022, 04:52 AM   #36
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
...snip...

Among other things that the Guardian reported:

"Allahu Akbar" also happens to be a slogan that Islamic terrorists are fond of yelling as they carry out their attacks.

Whether they intended it or not, this is something that strikes fear in the hearts of many people due to its association with terrorism.
Allahu Akbar is a standard ejaculation for Muslims, the Christian equivalent ejaculation is "Hallelujah".
Old 10th June 2022, 06:52 AM   #37
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Allahu Akbar is a standard ejaculation for Muslims, the Christian equivalent ejaculation is "Hallelujah".
It's also pretty implausible that anyone is going to think people celebrating a victory that obviates the need for any further action are about to pull off an act of terrorism. Why would they? They got what they wanted.

Last edited by mumblethrax; 10th June 2022 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10th June 2022, 07:13 AM   #38
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
It's also pretty implausible that anyone is going to think people celebrating a victory that obviates the need for any further action are about to pull off an act of terrorism. Why would they? They got what they wanted.
Aggrieved Muslims have publicly beheaded people in Western countries over perceived religious slights like this in the recent past. I can understand people being nervous.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2022, 08:11 AM   #39
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
Aggrieved Muslims have publicly beheaded people in Western countries over perceived religious slights like this in the recent past. I can understand people being nervous.
I know you can.
Old 15th June 2022, 01:58 AM   #40
Jono
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Olmstead View Post
Geeks can get pretty passionate about their favourite franchise. Like that time Mace Windu turned up with a purple lightsaber.
We fixed that narrative quite well though.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events