IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th June 2022, 07:16 AM   #1
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Yellowstone Park is CLOSED

I've been seeing reports about the flooding in Yellowstone. My impression is that the highway coming in from the north (from Gardner) is partially washed away. When we were in Yellowstone last year, we stayed out in that area and so came in from that direction every day.

All visitors have been evacuated from the park and no one is being let in until at least Wednesday, but I suspect a lot of the park will still be off-limits.

I hope no one has vacation plans for Yellowstone any time soon.
Old 14th June 2022, 08:00 AM   #2
sackett
Philosopher

The West is often likened to a beautiful woman. She charms, enthralls, anguishes, bewitches, exhaults, hypnotizes, and heartlessly destroys you. You love her all the time.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2022, 09:28 AM   #3
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Yellowstone is my favorite place in all the world. We were to have been leaving for there a week from today but I cancelled last winter because Covid didn't seem to have been better.
My wife found a video from along the Yellowstone River, not sure which side of Gardiner. The road was out in half a dozen places just in a 30 second clip.
Old 14th June 2022, 10:39 AM   #4
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Yellowstone is my favorite place in all the world. We were to have been leaving for there a week from today but I cancelled last winter because Covid didn't seem to have been better.
My wife found a video from along the Yellowstone River, not sure which side of Gardiner. The road was out in half a dozen places just in a 30 second clip.
It's bad alright. The one article I read (haven't seen any vid yet) noted the river up thereabouts shattered the 104 year old high water mark... by about two and a half feet.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2022, 10:46 AM   #5
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

On the bright side, all that ground water should have some interesting effects on the geysers!

It would definitely suck if you had reservations at any of the hotels. They would be booked full so it's not like they could find you any make-up accommodations. What a mess for some people's plans. We went there then on to Burning Man a dozen years ago. Closing the park would have been more than annoying. And all those road washouts are not going to be quickly fixed.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2022, 10:50 AM   #6
stanfr
Graduate Poster

Ironic since we (in N AZ) are suffering from extreme drought and an idiot just started a fire which has incinerated a good chunk of the nearby mountains, a large chunk of beautiful forest. I remember Yellowstone pre 1988--even now it has not really recovered...with megafires the damage is often permanent.
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2022, 11:11 AM   #7
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe it's just a precursor to the Supervolcano. That's gonna be bad....
Old 14th June 2022, 01:30 PM   #8
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
On the bright side, all that ground water should have some interesting effects on the geysers!

It would definitely suck if you had reservations at any of the hotels. They would be booked full so it's not like they could find you any make-up accommodations. What a mess for some people's plans. We went there then on to Burning Man a dozen years ago. Closing the park would have been more than annoying. And all those road washouts are not going to be quickly fixed.
Yeah. I had trouble getting reservations when I booked a year ago. Glad I cancelled it.
Old 14th June 2022, 07:19 PM   #9
sarge
Philosopher

A former platoon mate from my Berlin days was to leave next week for his Yellowstone trip but the flooding and the $6/gal diesel prices (very large motor home) caused him to cancel as well.
Old 14th June 2022, 08:52 PM   #10
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

What I am hearing is that the north loop (which includes Mammoth Springs) is going to be closed for a very long time, including the north entrance (in Gardner). That's where the road along side the Yellowstone River has been washed out. Like, we are talking years before it can reopen.

They hope to have the south loop cleaned up in a couple of weeks. That will include the lake village, and maybe the Canyon Village.

The upper and lower geyser basins aren't affected all that much (they are not near the river). I saw footage from Old Faithful, and there was some standing water, but it wasn't flooded. And Old Faithful is still erupting right on schedule.
Old 14th June 2022, 08:58 PM   #11
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

That road out to Gardner is magical, but the water seemed to be kissing it in normal summer flow. I’m not at all surprised to see it so damaged. Sad, but not surprised.

When we stayed in Gardner at an RV park, our back window looked out over the rolling waters. It is a powerful river on average. How scary it must be at this level.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2022, 09:03 PM   #12
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It's dusk now but it looks like some or all of the webcams are still up.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/photo...ia/webcams.htm

Scroll down to the Old Faithful cam. It's due to go off in a couple minutes and you might be able to see it.

Not enough light to see anything.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 14th June 2022 at 09:21 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2022, 09:23 PM   #13
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
That road out to Gardner is magical, but the water seemed to be kissing it in normal summer flow. I’m not at all surprised to see it so damaged. Sad, but not surprised.

When we stayed in Gardner at an RV park, our back window looked out over the rolling waters. It is a powerful river on average. How scary it must be at this level.
The river is powerful and scary up close. We walked down that really long staircase (can't remember the name) and you are right there next to the water.
Old 14th June 2022, 10:04 PM   #14
BowlOfRed
Master Poster

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
What I am hearing is that the north loop (which includes Mammoth Springs) is going to be closed for a very long time, including the north entrance (in Gardner). That's where the road along side the Yellowstone River has been washed out. Like, we are talking years before it can reopen.
And that's the only road open in winter to let the Cooke City folks out. Wonder how that's going to work.
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2022, 10:48 PM   #15
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Yellowstone Park is CLOSED

A friend shared these photos from the park:

Last edited by Orphia Nay; 14th June 2022 at 10:49 PM.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2022, 11:37 PM   #16
welshdean
Michael McDonald 1967 - 2021

Here's a video of the damage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTVa...hannel=CBSNews
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2022, 12:37 PM   #17
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Remember folks, the unprecedented heat and rains are just weather. Ask any Republican.
Snow falling in Minnesota in February, on the other hand, is proof global warming is a hoax.
Old 15th June 2022, 12:59 PM   #18
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
The West is often likened to a beautiful woman. She charms, enthralls, anguishes, bewitches, exhaults, hypnotizes, and heartlessly destroys you. You love her all the time.
And the forces that made the beautiful scenary to begin with are the forces that destroy you.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2022, 01:13 PM   #19
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Remember folks, the unprecedented heat and rains are just weather. Ask any Republican.
Snow falling in Minnesota in February, on the other hand, is proof global warming is a hoax.
And the snow we had last month (true!), only doubly so.
Old 15th June 2022, 02:31 PM   #20
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Shoot, it was snowing in Yellowstone just yesterday!
Old 15th June 2022, 03:33 PM   #21
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Shoot, it was snowing in Yellowstone just yesterday!
It's snowed there on the fourth of July in the past. But not recently. The minimum altitude of the place is near 7000 feet.
Old 16th June 2022, 05:42 AM   #22
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Is any of the rain making it over the hill to the Colorado River basin? We need the water here in California.
Old 16th June 2022, 11:27 AM   #23
BowlOfRed
Master Poster

Probably a bit, but much of the Pacific portion of the Yellowstone area drains to the Snake and the Columbia rather than the Colorado.

I found one "weekly precipitation" map for the US and it doesn't show much total rain in that area, so I'm suspicious it's incorrect.

Last edited by BowlOfRed; 16th June 2022 at 11:28 AM.
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2022, 12:15 PM   #24
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

My birthplace of Billings Montana, downstream from Yellowstone, has had its water treatment facility inundated by floodwater. That's 100,000 people without drinking water.
Old 20th June 2022, 01:20 AM   #25
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Yellowstone National Park expected to reopen within next two weeks following floods

Quote:
Most of Yellowstone National Park should re-open within the next two weeks much faster than originally expected after record floods pounded the region last week and knocked out major roads, according to federal officials.

Yellowstone Superintendent Cam Sholly said the world-renowned park will accommodate fewer visitors for the time being, and it will take time to restore road connections with some southern Montana communities.

Park officials said on Sunday they will use $US50 million ($72 million) in federal highway money to speed up road and bridge repairs.

There's still no timetable for repairs to routes between the park and areas of Montana where the recovery is expected to stretch for months.

Yellowstone will partially reopen at 8am on Wednesday, more than a week after 10,000 visitors were forced out of the park when local rivers flooded, swollen by melting snow and several inches of rainfall.
Old 20th June 2022, 10:22 AM   #26
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

We were to have been there Wednesday. Would have been staying at Canyon.
Old 20th June 2022, 06:01 PM   #27
BowlOfRed
Master Poster

Yellowstone's facebook page announces that the northern loop is expected to open in two weeks or less.
Old 20th June 2022, 06:03 PM   #28
sarge
Philosopher

What happens to travelers that would have visited the past week? Just out of luck until they can get new visitor access?
Old 21st June 2022, 08:20 AM   #29
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BowlOfRed View Post
Yellowstone's facebook page announces that the northern loop is expected to open in two weeks or less.
That feels ambitious as hell given the washed out road footage I saw.
Long ass stretches where you need to repair one collapse to move up equipment to fix the next.

Or were most of those in/around the communities outside of the park?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 21st June 2022 at 08:23 AM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 01:37 PM   #30
BowlOfRed
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
That feels ambitious as hell given the washed out road footage I saw.
Long ass stretches where you need to repair one collapse to move up equipment to fix the next.

Or were most of those in/around the communities outside of the park?
I don't know where the damage was specifically, but I can well believe those dramatic pictures were on the segment of US-89 between Gardiner and Mammoth through the Gardiner canyon. If so, that stretch wouldn't impact the north loop.

Further, it looks like there's an older road between Mammoth and Gardiner to the west of the canyon. I don't know if it's paved, but it might be opened/graded to allow some access to the park from the north before the canyon is repaired..

That's consistent with the map on the update page: https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/news/220613.htm
Old 22nd June 2022, 03:17 AM   #31
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Is any of the rain making it over the hill to the Colorado River basin? We need the water here in California.
There seems to have been an inordinate number of Colorado lows in the last 6 months or so, though possibly they are just following a more northerly track. In any case they have been bringing lots of precipitation and flooding to North Dakota, Minnesota and Manitoba so I don't think much of the moisture is going to end up in the Colorado River.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events