IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th June 2022, 10:27 AM   #1
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Rape victim to pay child support to her rapist

Man, 30, rapes girl, 16, who gets pregnant and has a baby.

16 years later, man sues for custody of the child and is granted it. The mother (Abelseth) is forced to pay man's legal fees and contribute child support to him.

"He's well connected," Abelseth said. "He's threatened me multiple times, saying he has connections in the justice system, so I better be careful and he can take her away anytime he wants to. I didn't believe him until it happened."

Now child rapist has custody of child who is the same age as his last (known) victim. Something about this seems wrong, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

https://www.wbrz.com/news/investigat...child-support/
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2022, 11:02 AM   #2
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

This is in modern day Louisianna, USA? What in the ever loving ****!?!?!? There has got to be some seriously criminal complacency going on at various levels of government to pull this kind of travesty off. Who is this rapist?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2022, 11:03 AM   #3
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

There's a lot I don't understand about this (the writing is all over the place,) but the father was given full custody because of a cell phone? I feel we're missing about 90% of what that's about.

As far as ignoring the rape goes, it (horribly) seems par for the course nowadays. Unless a woman shows up beat to hell at the hospital, someone will find a way to "wahtabout" it to death.

Jesus I'm glad I don't live in that area of the country. I'm especially glad I don't have any female loved ones who do.

Last edited by TheGoldcountry; 14th June 2022 at 11:04 AM.
TheGoldcountry is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2022, 11:12 AM   #4
Warp12
King of Kings

From the article:

Quote:
This story dates back decades and involves a woman who was raped at the age of 16 by a man almost twice her age

Only, there is no proof she was raped, right? They keep claiming she was raped by this man, but was he ever charged and convicted? I know she filed something of a report 10 years later, but I don't see how they can call him a rapist? I would think that could land them in some hot water?

Also, how did he "find out" about the child? That seems odd, unless they had some sort of continuing relationship, or he was stalking her?

Yeah, a lot is missing in this story.

Last edited by Warp12; 14th June 2022 at 11:19 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2022, 11:13 AM   #5
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
There's a lot I don't understand about this (the writing is all over the place,) but the father was given full custody because of a cell phone? I feel we're missing about 90% of what that's about.
When I saw the OP, I thought that this must be some third world country, but no, it's freaking Louisiana! Now I'm less surprised.

I agree, there's got to be a lot missing here, but still, unless she's got a criminal record and has had lots of run-ins with the child services people, I find this hard to understand.
Old 14th June 2022, 11:20 AM   #6
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
From the article:

Only, there is no proof she was raped, right? They keep claiming she was raped by this man, but was he ever charged and convicted? I know she filed something of a report 10 years later, but I don't see how they can call him a rapist?
The story says that as she was 16 when the baby was conceived, then the sex was illegal. I am unfamiliar with the age of consent in Louisiana - perhaps someone who is can chime in? If that's the case then it was rape by definition, as someone under the age of consent cannot consent to sex.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2022, 11:24 AM   #7
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
The story says that as she was 16 when the baby was conceived, then the sex was illegal. I am unfamiliar with the age of consent in Louisiana - perhaps someone who is can chime in? If that's the case then it was rape by definition, as someone under the age of consent cannot consent to sex.

Her claim isn't statutory rape, though. Neither is that what the article is saying occurred. So, I am saying, he hasn't been charged, and he hasn't been convicted of any crime, but they are labeling him a rapist in the most egregious manner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statutory_rape

No doubt they need to pursue the case. But even with him fathering the child, I suspect there are a lot of possible outcomes besides a rape conviction.

Last edited by Warp12; 14th June 2022 at 11:26 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2022, 11:26 AM   #8
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Only, there is no proof she was raped, right?
Yep just the word of a "Split Tail." Women are always lying about that.
Old 14th June 2022, 11:34 AM   #9
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Her claim isn't statutory rape, though. Neither is that what the article is saying occurred. So, I am saying, he hasn't been charged, and he hasn't been convicted of any crime, but they are labeling him a rapist in the most egregious manner.

No doubt they need to pursue the case. But even with him fathering the child, I suspect there are a lot of possible outcomes besides a rape conviction.
Hardly seems to matter, does it? 30 yr old bangs a tennybopper at that time, yeah that's a rape, statutory or no. She says it was rape pretty deadpan, with no further description, so it could have been consensual on her part at the time. But it doesn't matter. Bang a little girl when you're a full grown man, that's the dice you rolled. If he doesn't like the label, he could have stuck with grown-ups.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2022, 11:41 AM   #10
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Hardly seems to matter, does it? 30 yr old bangs a tennybopper at that time, yeah that's a rape, statutory or no. She says it was rape pretty deadpan, with no further description, so it could have been consensual on her part at the time. But it doesn't matter. Bang a little girl when you're a full grown man, that's the dice you rolled. If he doesn't like the label, he could have stuck with grown-ups.

There are other possibilities.

First, she may have represented that she was older. What if, and who knows, he took her home from an establishment that didn't allow those under 18? Did she commonly use an illegitimate ID? And then, on top of that, it could have been consensual.

So, yeah, I'd say the fact that the report was submitted 10 years after-the-fact, and that there are no pending charges or conviction, probably influences whether we can justifiably call this man a rapist at this point.

Last edited by Warp12; 14th June 2022 at 11:43 AM.
Old 14th June 2022, 11:47 AM   #11
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yes it's a decade long con game to pay *checks notes* be the one that has to pay child support. Surely a criminal mastermind.

CIVIL DEBATE everyone.
Old 14th June 2022, 11:54 AM   #12
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

First, she may have represented that she was older. What if, and who knows, he took her home from an establishment that didn't allow those under 18? Did she commonly use an illegitimate ID? And then, on top of that, it could have been consensual.

So, yeah, I'd say the fact that the report was submitted 10 years after-the-fact, and that there are no pending charges or conviction, probably influences whether we can justifiably call this man a rapist at this point.
When I was in my teens and early 20's, age was like a serious consideration at any meeting with a new lass. Like, not a trivial concern, and I was no genius. Any 30 yr old has no excuse when sniffing on a teen except that he doesn't give a ****.

But he did give a **** anyway, and an unprotected one at that. The rapist label fits fine.

Old 14th June 2022, 11:55 AM   #13
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Got to wonder what kind of mother the 32 year old mom has been.

And/or, at 16 courts give credence to the child's choice.
Old 14th June 2022, 11:57 AM   #14
Warp12
King of Kings

When I was in my teens and early 20's, age was like a serious consideration at any meeting with a new lass. Like, not a trivial concern, and I was no genius. Any 30 yr old has no excuse when sniffing on a teen except that he doesn't give a ****.

But he did give a **** anyway, and an unprotected one at that. The rapist label fits fine.

It's not against the law to have sex with 18-year olds, is it? This is the sort of thing that could reasonably be expected to happen in exactly the scenario I described. And I seriously doubt you would see a rape conviction.

On top of that, yeah, we can't go around labeling people as criminals when they actually haven't been proven as such.

Last edited by Warp12; 14th June 2022 at 11:59 AM.
Old 14th June 2022, 11:59 AM   #15
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
16 is legal in Alabama.
https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.co...-rape-laws.htm
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2022, 12:27 PM   #16
TomB
Graduate Poster

Assuming the article is correct in her age when it happened, which should be obvious from the date of the child's birth, then by definition this was statutory rape. I'll assume that the age of consent has been stable in Louisiana for the past 17 years:
Quote:
Louisiana

The age of consent in Louisiana is 17.

§ 80. Felony carnal knowledge of a juvenile

A. Felony carnal knowledge of a juvenile is committed when: (1) A person who is seventeen years of age or older has sexual intercourse, with consent, with a person who is thirteen years of age or older but less than seventeen years of age, when the victim is not the spouse of the offender and when the difference between the age of the victim and the age of the offender is four years or greater; or ...[172]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_o...ates#Louisiana

Given the empirical evidence, I don't think anyone is taking a risk in calling him a rapist. Now, she states that it was not consensual sex, and therefore forced or coerced rape. But that is immaterial. Even is she is lying about that, he is still guilty of (felony) statutory rape. The child is empirical proof of that fact.

The problems with this case have nothing to do with the use of the term "rapist." Other than the POS himself, the police taking no action on an open and shut case in seven years. And, yes, it is open and shut, at least on the stautory part of it. Louisiana does not allow the Mistake of Age Defense:
Quote:
Mistake as to the Child's Age

In Louisiana, as in most states, it is not a defense to a charge of carnal knowledge of a juvenile, aggravated rape, indecent behavior with a juvenile, or sexual battery that the defendant did not know that the child was underage. This is so even if the child lied about his or her age or looked older. (La. Rev. Stat. Ann. §§ 14:42, 14:43.1, 14:80, 14:80.1 14:81 (2018).)

Now, does that mean that she is a good mother? No. But it does mean that it is a factual statement that custody was given to a rapist of a child that was conceived during that rape.
TomB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2022, 12:31 PM   #17
TomB
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
This happened in Louisiana. Hammond, Louisiana.

The age of consent in Alabama is irrelevant.
TomB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2022, 12:33 PM   #18
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by TomB View Post
Assuming the article is correct in her age when it happened, which should be obvious from the date of the child's birth, then by definition this was statutory rape. I'll assume that the age of consent has been stable in Louisiana for the past 17 years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_o...ates#Louisiana

Given the empirical evidence, I don't think anyone is taking a risk in calling him a rapist. Now, she states that it was not consensual sex, and therefore forced or coerced rape. But that is immaterial. Even is she is lying about that, he is still guilty of (felony) statutory rape. The child is empirical proof of that fact.

The problems with this case have nothing to do with the use of the term "rapist." Other than the POS himself, the police taking no action on an open and shut case in seven years. And, yes, it is open and shut, at least on the stautory part of it. Louisiana does not allow the Mistake of Age Defense:

Now, does that mean that she is a good mother? No. But it does mean that it is a factual statement that custody was given to a rapist of a child that was conceived during that rape.

As stated previously:

It's not against the law to have sex with 18-year olds, is it? This is the sort of thing that could reasonably be expected to happen in exactly the scenario I described. And I seriously doubt you would see a rape conviction.

On top of that, yeah, we can't go around labeling people as criminals when they actually haven't been proven as such.
Old 14th June 2022, 12:34 PM   #19
TomB
Graduate Poster

In most states, including Louisiana, it is still statutory rape even if you thought they were older. Even if they lied about their age.

Quote:

In this case, proof of paternity is proof of rape.
Old 14th June 2022, 12:35 PM   #20
TomB
Graduate Poster

As stated previously:
If you had read what I posted, you would know that your scenario is irrelevant.
She could have lied her ass off and provided fake ID. He would still be considered guilty of statutory rape in Louisiana.
Old 14th June 2022, 12:37 PM   #21
Warp12
King of Kings

If you had read what I posted, you would know that your scenario is irrelevant.
She could have lied her ass off and provided fake ID. He would still be considered guilty of statutory rape in Louisiana.

I read it and found it unconvincing.

Show me that outcome in court. Because if a man takes all reasonable precautions to verify age, including an ID check, and is deliberately misled, he should not be found guilty of rape.

If he is, that is the real crime.

Last edited by Warp12; 14th June 2022 at 12:52 PM.
Old 14th June 2022, 12:46 PM   #22
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

The story says that sometime around when her daughter was 5 years old the father pursued and won 50/50 custody. So presumably the daughter has been living with him half the time for something like 11 years. Really the only part that she seems unhappy with is having to pay child support.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2022, 12:47 PM   #23
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
The story says that sometime around when her daughter was 5 years old the father pursued and won 50/50 custody. So presumably the daughter has been living with him half the time for something like 11 years. Really the only part that she seems unhappy with is having to pay child support.
She filed charges seven years ago, which precedes the award of child support.
Old 14th June 2022, 12:47 PM   #24
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
She doesn't seem too thrilled about the rape, either.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2022, 01:29 PM   #25
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

In most states, including Louisiana, it is still statutory rape even if you thought they were older. Even if they lied about their age.
Statutory rape is one where your belief is irrelevant.

She could produce a birth certificate showing that she was 18 and a voter ID card, but if it shown later to be fake, you are still guilty.
Old 14th June 2022, 01:54 PM   #26
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Statutory rape is one where your belief is irrelevant.

She could produce a birth certificate showing that she was 18 and a voter ID card, but if it shown later to be fake, you are still guilty.

Not in every state. For example, CA:

Quote:
For example, if you reasonably believed that the victim was age 18 or older, you have a defense to the crime of statutory rape. Under CALCRIM 1072, the prosecution is tasked with the burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that you did not “reasonably and actually believe that the other person was at least 18 years old.” This means that if you can show evidence that the alleged victim claimed he or she was 18 or older or if the circumstances led you to believe that was true, you have a valid defense to statutory rape charges.

So, if witnesses can testify that the alleged victim showed a fake ID to get into a bar where you met him or her, that is evidence that would lead you to reasonably believe the other person was an adult.

Now, I read the LA law in question. It does say that not knowing the person's age is not a defense. But I would think that the way people are sentenced and penalized would take this into account, or perhaps even impact the charges brought forth. This case is right on the borderline of such charges as it is, with the age of consent being 17 (assuming it was the same as current law).

And as I said earlier, if a man does everything reasonable to verify age of consent before engaging in consensual sex, and is then convicted of rape, he is the victim...imo.

I don't know how any reasonable person could see it any other way.

Last edited by Warp12; 14th June 2022 at 01:56 PM.
Old 14th June 2022, 02:15 PM   #27
Warp12
King of Kings

Another point of interest is that the article says she was 16 "at the time of conception". Is this just a claim, or verified fact?

Did she give birth then, at 17? Is there any possibility that she was actually 17 (presumed age of consent) when the child was conceived? This could be cut and dry to prove, or it could be very questionable depending on her full age when she gave birth.

So again, plenty of questions in the case.
Old 14th June 2022, 02:17 PM   #28
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

If you guys could find it in your trolly hearts to stop trolling Warp12 (while complaining forum wide about getting rid of trolls), there is the little matter of a particularly horrendous series of travesties here?

This guy raped the girl. DNA and date of the child's birth date put this beyond dispute. So how does he gain custody? How unfit a mother could she possibly be for the court to award custody to a man under "active" investigation for raping her?

Is the smart money on him having major friends in high places? His line of work seems pretty pedestrian for that level of influence.

Old 14th June 2022, 02:26 PM   #29
Warp12
King of Kings

This guy raped the girl. DNA and date of the child's birth date put this beyond dispute.

Are we certain of this?

Another point of interest is that the article says she was 16 "at the time of conception". Is this just a claim, or verified fact?

Did she give birth then, at 17? Is there any possibility that she was actually 17 (presumed age of consent) when the child was conceived? This could be cut and dry to prove, or it could be very questionable depending on her full age when she gave birth.

So again, plenty of questions in the case.

So, while I'm all for investigating her claims, which should have been done long ago, I'm just saying there are a lot of unanswered questions.

Last edited by Warp12; 14th June 2022 at 02:29 PM.
Old 14th June 2022, 02:33 PM   #30
Warp12
King of Kings

Is the smart money on him having major friends in high places? His line of work seems pretty pedestrian for that level of influence.

I doubt that is the case. I bet it is something more mundane...like misrepresented facts in the article, general incompetence, or significant information that is not being conveyed.

The article is written in a manner to generate outrage, not seriously analyze the details of the case.
Old 14th June 2022, 02:33 PM   #31
johnny karate

Are we certain of this?

So, while I'm all for investigating her claims, I'm just saying there are a lot of unanswered questions.
That’s just one “unanswered question”.

And it’s actually not unanswered or a question.

You’re just choosing to not believe the information that’s been provided.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2022, 02:37 PM   #32
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Are we certain of this?
Unless there is a massive, game changing math error that somehow got by everyone involved, we should accept it as fact. Twould be a rather massive bald faced lie to hinge the main factor on an easily disproved calendar consultation.

Should it turn out to be "whoopsie, math error", I do so solemnly swear never to give benefit of the doubt to reporting again.

Quote:
So, while I'm all for investigating her claims, I'm just saying there are a lot of unanswered questions.
Agreed. The story is so off-the-wall that it's hard to believe it could possibly happen. I'm riding on this guy being some kind of incredible puppet master, or the woman having a violent or neglectful history that wasn't mentioned. Not victim blaming, but trying to figure out some plausible way this could have gone down.

Old 14th June 2022, 02:37 PM   #33
johnny karate

I doubt that is the case. I bet it is something more mundane...like misrepresented facts in the article, general incompetence, or significant information that is not being conveyed.

The article is written in a manner to generate outrage, not seriously analyze the details of the case.
Yes, the idea of the police not doing their jobs is so far-fetched.

There certainly haven’t been any catastrophic examples of police incompetence recently that I can think of…

Last edited by johnny karate; 14th June 2022 at 02:39 PM.
Old 14th June 2022, 02:40 PM   #34
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Ok, I'll agree that the story is presented to prompt sharpening pitchforks. But that makes it all the worse for the woman if she is found to be deceptive, no?

Old 14th June 2022, 02:41 PM   #35
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Yes, the idea of the police not doing their jobs is so far-fetched.

There certainly haven’t been any catastrophic examples of police incompetence recently that I can think of…
This is more than just police, though. Family court and ripping a child out of the care of her mother is no rubber stamp procedure.

Old 14th June 2022, 02:45 PM   #36
Warp12
King of Kings

This is more than just police, though. Family court and ripping a child out of the care of her mother is no rubber stamp procedure.

I'm saying, there have to be more details. And significant ones. And I bet they aren't related to the accused guy having massive sway in the justice system.
Old 14th June 2022, 02:45 PM   #37
johnny karate

Hard to believe that this is taking place in a society that has always placed such a high value on protecting women and victims of sexual violence.

Last edited by johnny karate; 14th June 2022 at 02:49 PM.
Old 14th June 2022, 02:52 PM   #38
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Hard to believe that this is taking place in a society that has always placed such a high value on protecting women and victims of sexual violence.
Yeah, I hear that. But taking a child from her custody after she raised her for 16 years? That's unicorn stuff, unless the woman had more than a nodding acquaintance with police and DYFS. And come on- to her demonstrable rapist???

Old 14th June 2022, 03:00 PM   #39
johnny karate

Yeah, I hear that. But taking a child from her custody after she raised her for 16 years? That's unicorn stuff, unless the woman had more than a nodding acquaintance with police and DYFS. And come on- to her demonstrable rapist???
It's a small, Southern town. He's a white dude with connections in law enforcement. Not only is it not outside of the realm of possibility, it isn't even surprising.

Do you remember a couple of years ago when a Black guy was murdered in Georgia and the local cops and DA weren't going to do anything about it?

How is this any more far-fetched than that?
Old 14th June 2022, 03:01 PM   #40
Warp12
King of Kings

Ok, I'll agree that the story is presented to prompt sharpening pitchforks. But that makes it all the worse for the woman if she is found to be deceptive, no?

Well, it could make it worse...or she just may be in a place in her life where she has nothing else to lose. We really don't know.

But seeing the number of gaps in the story, and the emotional way it is written, doesn't give me a lot of faith in any of the information presented.

Last edited by Warp12; 14th June 2022 at 03:05 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events