ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags abortion , abortion issues , UK issues , uk politics

Old 5th March 2020, 02:22 AM   #1
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Changes to pattern of abortions in the UK

Abortion rate in England and Wales hits five-year high

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...five-year-high

The headline is the slight increase in overall numbers but I think the changing in patterns is the more interesting information. So older women and more women in a relationship and abortions happening earlier, I'd love to see some research into that.

The earlier I can understand, given how accurate and available pregnancy tests are a woman merely being late for a few days can now check whether they are pregnant and since at that stage the "abortion " is just taking a tablet I can see how it has increased very early abortions. By the way I put abortion in quotes for those very early termination as before having these incredible accurate tests it is likely that many of these would have been spontaneous miscarriages and the woman would never have known they were pregnant.

The increase in age I hope is one because of the early detection and two because they are comfortable enough with early abortions that it can be considered rationally and they probably already have the kids they wanted and planned for.

I'm also pleased to see more kids with detected serious medical problems being aborted, this is not because I think anything negative about people who have been born with congenital problems or I think such people can't have very happy and fulfilled lives. It's simply because all other things being equal why start a life with known problems.

ETA: For those sensitive souls I did say UK as similar changes have been reported in Scotland and obviously there were no legal abortions in NI.

Last edited by Darat; 5th March 2020 at 02:27 AM.
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 10:48 PM   #2
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Your article seems to be a bit dated. I found a more recent one, but unfortunately it was published in the Daily Mail.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tion-2018.html

Quote:
Women are having a record number of abortions, with almost a quarter of pregnancies resulting in a termination, new figures revealed today.

Some 24 per cent of expectant mothers had termination in England and Wales in 2018, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

At the same time, the conception rate tumbled to its lowest level since 2004 - with the only increase among women aged 40 and above.
I also found this:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...t-all-time-low
Old 6th March 2020, 04:09 AM   #3
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

That is really weird that showed up in my NEW stories!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events