ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th February 2020, 09:06 AM   #1
plague311
Great minds think...

Garth Brooks wears a Detroit Sanders #20 Jersey, Trump fans respond

Imagine the level of poutrage it takes to lash out a country music star because you don't know who one of the most famous running backs in the NFL is and assume it's pro-Bernie.

Quote:
Country music legend Garth Brooks posted a picture of himself in a "Sanders" jersey after his packed show Saturday night in Detroit, which created a bit of misguided outrage and confusion online.

Brooks wore the No. 20 jersey of former Detroit Lions running back Barry Sanders – a football legend in the city and NFL Hall of Famer – which caused some of his Instagram followers to mistakenly attack him for being a Bernie Sanders supporter.
To be fair, the Bernie boobs did the exact same thing. It sucks we live in a world where political blindness, and immediate knee jerk condemnation is the norm. Though I guess it's been that way for awhile.

I despise country music but I enjoy a few Garth Brooks songs, and some really old country from the 60's. Funny story though.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 09:20 AM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Seems like one of those "circle of friends"-type gaffes. A decent publicist could probably have reminded him that no matter how much he loves the game and the player and the city of Detroit, accidentally appearing to endorse a presidential candidate during primary season is an avoidable own goal.

Assuming it's a gaffe at all. "The player's name is just a coincidence!" is a little too disingenuous for my taste.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 09:22 AM   #3
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Football jerseys are what country singers wear now? I thought they dressed like cowboys, or at least a city-dweller's notion of what a cowboy would dress like.
Old 28th February 2020, 09:31 AM   #4
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

One screenshot taken of one internet comment doesn't count as an outrage.

"One random idiot (or one random person who thinks it's just oh so clever to role play as an idiot) exists somewhere online." Thanks, I think we all already knew that.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 10:01 AM   #5
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
One screenshot taken of one internet comment doesn't count as an outrage.

"One random idiot (or one random person who thinks it's just oh so clever to role play as an idiot) exists somewhere online." Thanks, I think we all already knew that.
Thanks for that. I'm always eager to find someone I can run my posts through and make sure they're up to standards. I'll be sure to check in with you in the future.

Since I did a bit more research than just posting this one article I also checked a few Twitter threads. It's not one ******* person. According to the article it was on both sides that people were making comments. Hell, the ******* article quotes 3 or 4 as examples (a few from each side). You want them to post every one?

Christ, this place sometimes.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 10:27 AM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Thanks for that. I'm always eager to find someone I can run my posts through and make sure they're up to standards. I'll be sure to check in with you in the future.

Since I did a bit more research than just posting this one article I also checked a few Twitter threads. It's not one ******* person. According to the article it was on both sides that people were making comments. Hell, the ******* article quotes 3 or 4 as examples (a few from each side). You want them to post every one?

Christ, this place sometimes.
I think I see the problem. All this happened on Twitter.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 10:40 AM   #7
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Technically it was on instagram. The initial backlash and the subsequent nonsense.

Old 28th February 2020, 10:53 AM   #8
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Seems like one of those "circle of friends"-type gaffes. A decent publicist could probably have reminded him that no matter how much he loves the game and the player and the city of Detroit, accidentally appearing to endorse a presidential candidate during primary season is an avoidable own goal.

Assuming it's a gaffe at all. "The player's name is just a coincidence!" is a little too disingenuous for my taste.
As much as I like some of his music, I don't believe he has a high intellectual capacity, or enough to ponder any deep thoughts. I very much doubt he weighed it out and based his decision on what shirt to wear on anything political or otherwise.

To me, it's a yawn. Another 'much ado about nothing'.
Old 28th February 2020, 10:59 AM   #9
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
As much as I like some of his music, I don't believe he has a high intellectual capacity, or enough to ponder any deep thoughts. I very much doubt he weighed it out and based his decision on what shirt to wear on anything political or otherwise.

Easily, but that doesn't make it funny. I didn't post this in politics because it wasn't really a one sided deal. Both sides were dumb, which is what I found funny. Garth Brooks was just swapping haters around.

I also think that when you're on tour you're probably not paying as much attention to the news as some others. Sure the buses are equipped to the teeth but I'd assume it's mostly travel, sleep, play, travel, sleep, play.

Old 28th February 2020, 11:09 AM   #10
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Ok, but what does Chris Gaines think?
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 11:26 AM   #11
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post

He's a pretty smart businessman with an MBA.

Wearing a local sports hero's jersey on stage or around town is kind of a no-brainer for a country or any other artist. I once saw an artist come out in an Urlacher jersey in Chicago and the place went nuts. There is an iconic photo of Carlos Santana in a Chicago Blackhawks jersey, playing a show at the old stadium. This is normal stuff.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 11:26 AM   #12
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Technically it was on instagram. The initial backlash and the subsequent nonsense.
Same problem, different color scheme.
Old 28th February 2020, 11:35 AM   #13
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Seriously?

Brooks, who by all accounts is not really a political animal other than supporting gay rights and a few charities, performs in Detroit, wearing the jersey of one of the city's most famous footballing sons, and its HIS fault that there are stupid people out there (and I'll bet, not one of them was from Detroit) who mistake this it for a political stunt?

For mine, this rates as a "some people are stupid shocker" story.

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Wearing a local sports hero's jersey on stage or around town is kind of a no-brainer for a country or any other artist. I once saw an artist come out in an Urlacher jersey in Chicago and the place went nuts. There is an iconic photo of Carlos Santana in a Chicago Blackhawks jersey, playing a show at the old stadium. This is normal stuff.
Exactly. Music stars do that sort of thing all the time on stage. It would not have even occurred to him that there would be anyone stupid enough to get outraged by it.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 28th February 2020 at 11:38 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 11:36 AM   #14
plague311
Great minds think...

Same problem, different color scheme.
If the problem is "it happened on social media" then we're going to have very few things to talk about around here.

Old 28th February 2020, 11:41 AM   #15
Disbelief
Master Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Seriously?

Brooks, who by all accounts is not really a political animal other than supporting gay rights and a few charities, performs in Detroit, wearing the jersey of one of the city's most famous footballing sons, and its HIS fault that there are stupid people out there (and I'll bet, not one of them was from Detroit) who mistake this it for a political stunt?

For mine, this rates as a "some people are stupid shocker" story.

Exactly. Music stars do that sort of thing all the time on stage. It would not have even occurred to him that there would be anyone stupid enough to get outraged by it.
And the jersey is Barry Sanders who graduated from Oklahoma State, the same university that Garth attended.

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 11:42 AM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

If the problem is "it happened on social media" then we're going to have very few things to talk about around here.
Would that be such a bad thing?
Old 28th February 2020, 11:54 AM   #17
plague311
Great minds think...

Would that be such a bad thing?
Being apart of a discussion board that doesn't have any discussion? It would be to me, YMMV

Old 28th February 2020, 11:56 AM   #18
CJW
Muse

Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
Ok, but what does Chris Gaines think?
I'm pretty sure Garth Brooks totally copied Chris Gaines....
Old 28th February 2020, 11:58 AM   #19
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Being apart of a discussion board that doesn't have any discussion? It would be to me, YMMV
If all that's left to discuss is pointless inanities emanating from the TwitterBookGram, then maybe it's time to pack it in.

MDC protocols aren't a topic. There's no real debunking going on. Politics is just an endless re-hash of the same topics and insults over and over again. Now you're fishing Instagram just to find something funny to talk about. Is this really all there is?
Old 28th February 2020, 12:05 PM   #20
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

as Jack Nicholson said, what if this is As Good As It Gets?
Old 28th February 2020, 12:08 PM   #21
plague311
Great minds think...

If all that's left to discuss is pointless inanities emanating from the TwitterBookGram, then maybe it's time to pack it in.

MDC protocols aren't a topic. There's no real debunking going on. Politics is just an endless re-hash of the same topics and insults over and over again. Now you're fishing Instagram just to find something funny to talk about. Is this really all there is?
I'm not fishing anything, for the record. It came up on my google news feed.

If you don't want to participate literally no one is making you. I posted it in a social events section because that's exactly what it is. I didn't post it in politics because both sides were doing it. I don't get what the complaining is about. If you don't like it just don't join the thread, it's seriously that easy.

Old 28th February 2020, 12:16 PM   #22
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You ever wonder if maybe the news media isn't your friend?

Quote:
If you don't want to participate literally no one is making you. I posted it in a social events section because that's exactly what it is. I didn't post it in politics because both sides were doing it. I don't get what the complaining is about. If you don't like it just don't join the thread, it's seriously that easy.
Oh, I do want to participate. I want to question the premise that this is actually a social event.

Do we have any reason to think this was a significant social event, outside the Instagrams and Twitter accounts where the slapfights occurred?
Old 28th February 2020, 12:34 PM   #23
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Could this be done by Russian trolls? I don't know how that stuff works.
Old 28th February 2020, 12:36 PM   #24
3point14
Pi

I ******* hate twitter journalism. Sorry, 'journalism'.

Lazy, easy, web based journalism for those that don't want the hassle of doing actual journalism but want to write articles.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 01:06 PM   #25
plague311
Great minds think...

You ever wonder if maybe the news media isn't your friend?
Frankly, I don't give a ****. I read it because I like to be up to date on all sorts of things.

Oh, I do want to participate. I want to question the premise that this is actually a social event.
Frankly, I don't give a ****. It was a social event enough to make it to my news feed. I don't understand why the need for this off topic nonsense, or why I'm feeding into it. I am completely baffled at why people don't just ignore threads they don't feel are relevant. I mean, it's not particularly complicated. I do it all of the time.

Do we have any reason to think this was a significant social event, outside the Instagrams and Twitter accounts where the slapfights occurred?
Frankly, I don't give a ****. "One man's trash is another man's treasure". No one is forcing participation, as was already mentioned. Perhaps you should start a thread and title it "I don't think people should post threads that aren't significant to me" and people can chime in and agree with you. Perhaps even I might join.

Last edited by plague311; 28th February 2020 at 01:08 PM.
Old 28th February 2020, 01:26 PM   #26
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Frankly, I don't give a ****. I read it because I like to be up to date on all sorts of things.

Frankly, I don't give a ****. It was a social event enough to make it to my news feed. I don't understand why the need for this off topic nonsense, or why I'm feeding into it. I am completely baffled at why people don't just ignore threads they don't feel are relevant. I mean, it's not particularly complicated. I do it all of the time.

Frankly, I don't give a ****. "One man's trash is another man's treasure". No one is forcing participation, as was already mentioned. Perhaps you should start a thread and title it "I don't think people should post threads that aren't significant to me" and people can chime in and agree with you. Perhaps even I might join.

In the same way that Paris Hilton is famous for being famous, perhaps theprestige is just complaining because he's complaining.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 28th February 2020 at 01:27 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 02:04 PM   #27
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

This is almost as bad as leaving your kids alone unsupervised with a known pediatrician.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th February 2020, 06:12 AM   #28
Doubt
Philosopher

https://twitter.com/Lions/status/123...ey-fiasco.html

Barry 2020.
Old 1st March 2020, 11:55 PM   #29
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

<snip>

Why does it have to be "significant"? Is that a mandate here, or just your own idiosyncratic demand?

It was good for a muted sort of chortle, in the "They made a silly mistake." class of 'things which get posted or aired on various media. vein of topics. It doesn't have to be deeply meaningful.

I don't think plague311 was doing anything but offering another example of over-excited political types over-reacting, which if nothing else offers a brief morsel of much needed comic relief amidst the constant drone of self-important political pundits framing everything as high drama.

You seem to be taking it it a mite too seriously yourself. Loosen up a bit.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2020, 02:01 AM   #30
Tolls
Philosopher

Yeah, bloody Barry Sanders using having the same surname...

Hell, I know who Barry Sanders is and his association with Detroit, and I'm not from the US let alone Detroit. Don't blame Brooks for some fools on the internet.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 01:52 PM   #31
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

Sanders explained pictorially

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
I wish I had thought of this:
https://twitter.com/johnedogg/status...404417/photo/1

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 5th March 2020 at 02:12 PM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events