ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM   #1
Major Major
Critical Thinker

Train Engineer Attempts to Crash the USNS Mercy

Eduardo Moreno, a Pacific Harbor Lines railroad engineer, attempted to drive his locomotive into the USNS Mercy, the hospital ship in the Port of Los Angeles. He did not strike the ship but did spill fuel which had to be cleaned up. He said he thought it was "suspicious" and did not believe "the ship is what they say it's for."

Source at:
https://abc7news.com/officials-engin...Mce_P6Xg6fXaog

I don't quite know what to say.

Major Major is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM   #2
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

If his thought process went like this:

I'm suspicious about what the ship is to be used for...

I know what do do!! I MUST go drive a train into it!

Then he has either impulse or drug issues.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM   #3
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

"..charged with one count of train wrecking."

This seems like an April Fool's charge.
Wrecking the train isn't exactly the big crime here.

"Whattaya in for?"

"Involved with a train wreck"

"Yeah, I know what you mean brotha."
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:46 PM   #4
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

They must be using the term engineer loosely. It stopped very far from the ship. It wasn't even close
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM   #5
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

How does one drive a train into a ship?

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM   #6
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
It's pretty clear from the story, you don't.
You could, I guess, but you'd really need a lot better plan than this guy had.
You know, like maybe starting with some tracks that get reasonably close enough to the ship that you might have a remote chance at success.

Last edited by Mike!; Yesterday at 08:03 PM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM   #7
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
"..charged with one count of train wrecking."

This seems like an April Fool's charge.
Wrecking the train isn't exactly the big crime here.

"Whattaya in for?"

"Involved with a train wreck"

"Yeah, I know what you mean brotha."

pfffft! This whole thread is a train wreck!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM   #8
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
pfffft! This whole thread is a train wreck!
People are trying to engineer it as that. But they went off the rails.

[next contestant, please!]
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM   #9
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
You know, like maybe starting with some tracks that get reasonably close enough to the ship that you might have a remote chance at success.
Still not getting it. Train tracks don't end at ships.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM   #10
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
They must be using the term engineer loosely. It stopped very far from the ship. It wasn't even close
Why is that a loose term for the person who was, according to the news report, driving the train? It's true that he did not get very close, because it seems his craziness and stupidity included his perception of how far the train would travel when derailed, but he still appears to have been the engineer.

I suppose that whatever his motive and his intention, since he did fail so spectacularly, "train wrecking" was probably the only thing he could be definitively charged with. He certainly did that.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM   #11
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yeah, I guess I should have read the article in the first place. I get what he was trying to do now.

- Randall Munroe
Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM   #12
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Why is that a loose term for the person who was, according to the news report, driving the train? It's true that he did not get very close, because it seems his craziness and stupidity included his perception of how far the train would travel when derailed, but he still appears to have been the engineer.

I suppose that whatever his motive and his intention, since he did fail so spectacularly, "train wrecking" was probably the only thing he could be definitively charged with. He certainly did that.
Engineer is a term I generally associate with those good at physics. This person seems to have poor understanding of friction.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM   #13
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Just another oils pill at the Exxon Valdez.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM   #14
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Haven't you watched Hollywood train crashes. They can go for well over a kilometre.

Last edited by a_unique_person; Yesterday at 10:06 PM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:48 PM   #15
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Engineer is a term I generally associate with those good at physics. This person seems to have poor understanding of friction.
In railroading the engineer is the person who drives the engine, and it has been for a very long time.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM   #16
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

In railroading the engineer is the person who drives the engine, and it has been for a very long time.
The engineer is the person who operates the engine.

Funny how it works like that.

- Randall Munroe
Old Yesterday, 10:43 PM   #17
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Good point I would also hope they had a better sense of how far a derailing train can go.
Old Yesterday, 11:02 PM   #18
Cheetah
Master Poster

Noting to do with trains or train drivers, but in my experience, if you meet someone who believes they have discovered an over-unity machine or idea for one, or they don't believe in GW or DM or DE or Relativity etc. and you should just listen to them if you are interested in how things actually work, they are probably an engineer.
Old Today, 12:21 AM   #19
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Noting to do with trains or train drivers, but in my experience, if you meet someone who believes they have discovered an over-unity machine or idea for one, or they don't believe in GW or DM or DE or Relativity etc. and you should just listen to them if you are interested in how things actually work, they are probably an engineer.
NM
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald

Last edited by EHocking; Today at 12:22 AM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:59 AM   #20
Mojo
Mostly harmless

You know, like maybe starting with some tracks that get reasonably close enough to the ship...

And then you could lay new track in front of the train as it is going along, like Gromit in The Wrong Trousers.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:04 AM   #21
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
People are trying to engineer it as that. But they went off the rails.

[next contestant, please!]
You’re right about going off the rails, but some posters made good points.

[ok, that’s obscure but someone will get it]

Last edited by Ladewig; Today at 01:06 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:15 AM   #22
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
If his thought process went like this:

I'm suspicious about what the ship is to be used for...

I know what do do!! I MUST go drive a train into it!

Then he has either impulse or drug issues.
I think it is easy to understand this guy; just imagine that Donald Trump’s father had been a fireman on a steam engine instead of a multi-millionaire.
Old Today, 02:07 AM   #23
catsmate
No longer the 1

Quote:
Moreno ran the train off the end of tracks, and crashed through a series of barriers before coming to rest more than 250 yards from the Mercy. No one was injured in the incident, and the Mercy was not harmed or damaged in any way. The incident did result in the train leaking a substantial amount of fuel oil, which required clean up by fire and other hazardous materials personnel.
An eyewitness described that he saw
Quote:
...the train smash into a concrete barrier at the end of the track, smash into a steel barrier, smash into a chain-link fence, slide through a parking lot, slide across another lot filled with gravel, and smash into a second chain-link fence
Moereo stated that
Quote:
...he was suspicious of the Mercy and believing it had an alternate purpose related to COVID-19 or a government takeover.
He made an attempt to ignite the spilled fuel with a flare.

Basically a conspiracy nut, and an idiotic one.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:56 AM   #24
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
The Salem Hypothesis
Guybrush Threepwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:29 AM   #25
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Still not getting it. Train tracks don't end at ships.
Details details.
Old Today, 05:51 AM   #26
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

In reality, "engineer" has a range of meanings, depending on context. In order to understand what is meant in a given context, you must make the associations appropriate to that context. Making a generic association without regard to context is a mistake.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:17 AM   #27
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

At the minimum this engineer should get a yellow card for deliberate derailment.
Old Today, 06:20 AM   #28
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
In reality, "engineer" has a range of meanings, depending on context. In order to understand what is meant in a given context, you must make the associations appropriate to that context. Making a generic association without regard to context is a mistake.
At this point I'm less bothered they employed a crazy person than the fact one of their train engineers thought the train would travel 750 feet farther than it actually did.
Old Today, 06:21 AM   #29
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
At the minimum this engineer should get a yellow card for deliberate derailment.
Begs the question that the mod on duty agrees with your perception of "deliberate", recognizes it when they see it, and has the spoons to do the needful.

Also, have you reported it?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:22 AM   #30
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

At this point I'm less bothered they employed a crazy person than the fact one of their train engineers thought the train would travel 750 feet farther than it actually did.
I have no opinion about that.
Old Today, 06:37 AM   #31
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I have no opinion about that.
It would be weird if you did. It is a novel thought and it would be strange if we went around forming opinions on every novel thought we heard.
Old Today, 07:15 AM   #32
plague311
Great minds think...

Begs the question that the mod on duty agrees with your perception of "deliberate", recognizes it when they see it, and has the spoons to do the needful.

Also, have you reported it?
What's the context?

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:30 AM   #33
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

Sorry to derail the thread (so to speak), but I really wish the US would adopt the UK and Commonwealth parlance and start referring to locomotive operators as "drivers," rather than "engineers." Of course, that will never happen.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:38 AM   #34
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
Sorry to derail the thread (so to speak), but I really wish the US would adopt the UK and Commonwealth parlance and start referring to locomotive operators as "drivers," rather than "engineers." Of course, that will never happen.
I agree as well. It's weird how many positions get called "engineers". I've been called a "Network Engineer" and I'll go out of my way to say, "I'm just technician, we don't really have Engineers. Mostly just architects."

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:40 AM   #35
ahhell
Illuminator

Its also traditionally used for folks who operate trains. Stems from the etymology, it originally meant a maker an operator of engines in the military sense. Then expanded to other uses.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:42 AM   #36
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Its also traditionally used for folks who operate trains. Stems from the etymology, it originally meant a maker an operator of engines in the military sense. Then expanded to other uses.
As people have corrected many times. Still, I would hope train pilots had a better sense of what happens when a train derails.
Old Today, 08:55 AM   #37
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I've long said I signed up for engineering at college because I thought I'd get to drive a train.
Old Today, 08:56 AM   #38
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
You’re right about going off the rails, but some posters made good points.

[ok, that’s obscure but someone will get it]
I got it, but had to switch my thinking a bit.
Old Today, 09:01 AM   #39
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

My feeling is that he may not be literally crazy, but may have bought into some sort of conspiracy theory out there. Does anybody know whether there's an existing story about the ship?

Meaning, he's as crazy as Edgar Maddison Welch, which is to say, not crazy just misinformed and kinda stupid. "The intel on this wasn’t 100 percent."
Old Today, 09:50 AM   #40
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
I associate "drivers" with computer peripheral devices. It doesn't really make sense for trains.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events