ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING!

Old 24th February 2020, 03:11 AM   #1321
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Should point out the reason I ask is the two of the thtree most tedious nights of my life were going to a Billy Bragg concert going on about unions and a Jello Biafra speaking thing which I gave up on after 1 1/2 hours. Apparently he spoke for 4.

Both of which had loads of adoring fans and it was political and utterly done to an agenda
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000

Last edited by cullennz; 24th February 2020 at 03:14 AM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 06:49 AM   #1322
Red Baron Farms
Philosopher

Justified righteous anger is not a disorder, but it could be problematic if not accompanied by real proposed solutions. Symbolic riding of sail boats doesn't qualify as a serious solution, but this does:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 07:09 AM   #1323
8enotto
Graduate Poster

I tend to hold individuals to a practice what you preach standard. If said person lives far different than they preach the rest of us should, there is a problem. Miss Greta pushes that line a bit, but not to hypocrisy. The reality of travel for a activist to remain in the public eye has her causing the use of fuels more than if she remained in school.

The two extremes of hopeless miser to hopeless waster are not good. Preaching an end to all fossil fuel is an extreme as is the kid in a huge diesel truck as a commuter vehicle for school.

The sustainable answers are between them every time. One should see his fun is wasteful in multiple ways and the other that more careful use of fossil fuel isn't totally bad.

Last edited by 8enotto; 24th February 2020 at 07:17 AM.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 07:27 AM   #1324
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
My best friends daughter has Asbergers.
Asburgers?

It's Aspergers.

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
You have been inadvertently insulting someone without even realising it.
You can't insult someone without their knowledge.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 07:48 AM   #1325
Marcus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Asburgers?

It's Aspergers.

Yes I know, someone corrected me already. It sounds dirty that way doesn't it?

Ass burgers
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 08:12 AM   #1326
Arcade22
Philosopher

Ass burgers
It's more like Äsp-bergers.
Old 24th February 2020, 08:55 AM   #1327
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Why does me correcting your use of language annoy you so much?
That's a good question. I was about to take you to task for singling me out for a lecture, when you let real actual insults from the pro-Greta folks pass without comment. But now that you mention it, I guess I've been taking this a little too seriously.

Quote:
My deep concern in this particular part of the discussion is for you.
Way too seriously.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 08:58 AM   #1328
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Asperger's.
Asburgers?

It's Aspergers. : )

Ass burgers
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
It's more like Äsp-bergers.
That's more like it.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 04:34 PM   #1329
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I'm not saying that. I'm saying that you can insult someone without your knowledge. Without intending to. Your intent doesn't matter to whether your words are hurtful or not.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 04:36 PM   #1330
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
That's a good question. I was about to take you to task for singling me out for a lecture, when you let real actual insults from the pro-Greta folks pass without comment. But now that you mention it, I guess I've been taking this a little too seriously.
But you're still going to call Greta "disturbed", right? Because your choice to use that word is more important than whether it causes harm or distress.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 04:53 PM   #1331
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not saying that. I'm saying that you can insult someone without your knowledge. Without intending to. Your intent doesn't matter to whether your words are hurtful or not.
Good thing nobody here is flying to Scandinavia to tell Saint Greta "Brave Campaigner" Thunberg all the mean things we've been saying behind her back. Such news would probably disturb her.
Old 24th February 2020, 04:56 PM   #1332
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

But you're still going to call Greta "disturbed", right? Because your choice to use that word is more important than whether it causes harm or distress.
Way too seriously.
Old 24th February 2020, 04:57 PM   #1333
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Good thing nobody here is flying to Scandinavia to tell Saint Greta "Brave Campaigner" Thunberg all the mean things we've been saying behind her back. Such news would probably disturb her.
Even if they did they'd miss her. She's in the UK right now.

Anyway, like I said my concern is not for her any more. I doubt she'd be bothered by it.

- Randall Munroe
Old 24th February 2020, 05:32 PM   #1334
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Even if they did they'd miss her. She's in the UK right now.

Anyway, like I said my concern is not for her any more. I doubt she'd be bothered by it.
Like you said, you're personalizing this. The MA prohibits me from giving this argument the treatment it deserves. So I'm dismissing it out of hand. Find another one. Also try not to take things so seriously.
Old 24th February 2020, 05:35 PM   #1335
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Like you said, you're personalizing this. The MA prohibits me from giving this argument the treatment it deserves. So I'm dismissing it out of hand. Find another one. Also try not to take things so seriously.
I do not apologise for taking marginalisation and stigmatisation of non-neurotypicality seriously.

- Randall Munroe
Old 24th February 2020, 05:42 PM   #1336
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I do not apologise for taking marginalisation and stigmatisation of non-neurotypicality seriously.
Waaay too seriously.

The insults are flying fast and furious in this thread. Don't you have anybody else to lecture about their dickishness?
Old 24th February 2020, 05:43 PM   #1337
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Waaay too seriously.

The insults are flying fast and furious in this thread. Don't you have anybody else to lecture about their dickishness?
Not right now. Can you point out where I've insulted anyone other than Andrew Bolt?

- Randall Munroe
Old 24th February 2020, 05:46 PM   #1338
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Not right now. Can you point out where I've insulted anyone other than Andrew Bolt?
Jesus, dude. For the love of all you hold dear, please read for comprehension.
Old 24th February 2020, 05:53 PM   #1339
Steve
Philosopher

Waaay too seriously.

Yeah. To borrow from Arlington Guthrie at Woodstock 1969 “Lotta dicks!”
Old 24th February 2020, 05:56 PM   #1340
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Jesus, dude. For the love of all you hold dear, please read for comprehension.
Fair enough, I misread you. My apologies.

- Randall Munroe
Old 24th February 2020, 05:57 PM   #1341
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Waaay too seriously.

I was initially responding to someone else for using the word. You're the one who kept pushing back at it. If anyone else uses stigmatising language, you bet I'll say something.

- Randall Munroe
Old 24th February 2020, 06:01 PM   #1342
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I was initially responding to someone else for using the word. You're the one who kept pushing back at it. If anyone else uses stigmatising language, you bet I'll say something.
I bet you won't. There's plenty of stigmatizing language in this thread that you are tacitly approving.
Old 24th February 2020, 06:13 PM   #1343
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I bet you won't. There's plenty of stigmatizing language in this thread that you are tacitly approving.
Are you accusing me of pursuing a personal vendetta against you?

- Randall Munroe
Old 25th February 2020, 11:20 AM   #1344
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

yes
Old 25th February 2020, 11:45 AM   #1345
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Are you accusing me of pursuing a personal vendetta against you?
"Vendetta"? Oh god no. I'm not taking it that seriously at all.

But you have confessed to having a deep personal concern about me. And despite your protestations of even-handedness, you've been remarkably selective in your lecture on the virtues of not being a dick and not giving offense to people. I was going to go with "personalizing the debate" and "intentional derail".

Now that you mention it... "pursuing a personal vendetta". Why even bring it up? Do you want me to evaluate your posts in that context?

Last edited by theprestige; 25th February 2020 at 11:50 AM.
Old 25th February 2020, 11:48 AM   #1346
Belz...
Fiend God

Sure, but if you meant that he insulted ms Thunberg, you're wrong.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2020, 02:05 PM   #1347
Matthew Best
Philosopher

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-51632654

Greta Thunberg has met Malala Yousafzai during a visit to Oxford University. The climate change campaigner, 17, made the trip to Lady Margaret Hall where she met the human rights campaigner, 22, on Tuesday.

The student posted a picture of the two young activists on Instagram, saying simply: "Thank you @gretathunberg".

"She's the only friend I'd skip school for," she added on Twitter.

Also posting on social media, Ms Thunberg said: "So...today I met my role model. What else can I say?"
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2020, 02:10 PM   #1348
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I bet Malala could learn a lot from Greta "Brave Campaigner" Thunberg.
Old 25th February 2020, 02:12 PM   #1349
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Or perhaps she could learn from the anti-Greta, Naomi Seibt.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...limate-sceptic

A German teenager dubbed the “anti-Greta” – climate sceptics’ answer to the schoolgirl activist Greta Thunberg – is set to address the biggest annual gathering of US grassroots conservatives.

Naomi Seibt, 19, who styles herself as a “climate sceptic” or “climate realist”, will this week address the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) near Washington, joining speakers including Donald Trump and Vice-President Mike Pence.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2020, 02:37 PM   #1350
Red Baron Farms
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post

A German teenager dubbed the “anti-Greta” – climate sceptics’ answer to the schoolgirl activist Greta Thunberg – is set to address the biggest annual gathering of US grassroots conservatives.

Naomi Seibt, 19, who styles herself as a “climate sceptic” or “climate realist”, will this week address the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) near Washington, joining speakers including Donald Trump and Vice-President Mike Pence.
Very lame.
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2020, 03:10 PM   #1351
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

yes, this all is very lame
Old 25th February 2020, 04:03 PM   #1352
Steve
Philosopher

Why?
Old 25th February 2020, 05:04 PM   #1353
Arcade22
Philosopher

Quote:
In a sting operation carried out for German broadcaster ZDF and investigative outlet Correctiv, the*Heartland Institute strategist James Taylor*told journalists posing as potential donors his thinktank had signed up Seibt to record climate change sceptic videos for young people.

Seibt has admitted that she receives “an average monthly wage” from the institute. According to official figures, the average net monthly income in*Germanyis just under €1,900 (£1,590, $2,066).
It's not surprising that American so called "conservatives" find their ideological soulmates in far-right xenophobes, nazi sympathizers who dream of a illiberal authoritarian political regime akin to the one in Putin's Russia.
Old 25th February 2020, 05:08 PM   #1354
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Sure, but if you meant that he insulted ms Thunberg, you're wrong.
I'm not saying that. I'm saying that the language he uses carries the potential to cause unintended insult. My goal is to make him think a little more about the implications of his word choices.

Sorry for talking about you, theprestige. I know you're right there.

- Randall Munroe
Old 25th February 2020, 05:13 PM   #1355
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

"Vendetta"? Oh god no. I'm not taking it that seriously at all.

But you have confessed to having a deep personal concern about me. And despite your protestations of even-handedness, you've been remarkably selective in your lecture on the virtues of not being a dick and not giving offense to people. I was going to go with "personalizing the debate" and "intentional derail".
Perhaps you only notice it when I direct it at you. I can assure you, Thor2 will back me up when I say that I've told him not to be a dick several times. Ranb too, probably. I think Ranb still has me on ignore.

So you've reported the exchange then? Good.

Now that you mention it... "pursuing a personal vendetta". Why even bring it up? Do you want me to evaluate your posts in that context?
No, but you appear to get very prickly when I do happen to direct my attention to you so I was concerned that you think I'm singling you out. I'm not - you're just the one who pushes back hardest.

- Randall Munroe
Old 27th February 2020, 09:16 PM   #1356
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

My deep concern in this particular part of the discussion is for you. You have been inadvertently insulting someone without even realising it. I get that your intent is not to insult, but your word choice does it anyway. I want you to stop putting yourself in that position, but instead you deny, deny, deny, and furthermore in the most condescending of ways. How many other people have you accidentally insulted by your choice of words? And you wonder why nobody likes you.
Given your insistence on avoiding insults, how do you feel about the highlighted phrase?

Quote:
The correct response when someone points out that a word or phrase you use is a slur is to say "Oh, is it? I didn't know that. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll use other terms in the future."
Context matters, and in some cases that's not actually the correct response.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 09:20 PM   #1357
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Given your insistence on avoiding insults, how do you feel about the highlighted phrase?
I was pretty sure I'd edited that bit out before I hit post. I certainly intended to. That was my mistake.

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Context matters, and in some cases that's not actually the correct response.
I'd like to see an example of such a case.

- Randall Munroe
Old 28th February 2020, 12:25 AM   #1358
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

I was pretty sure I'd edited that bit out before I hit post. I certainly intended to. That was my mistake.
Cool, that I can definitely understand. I've written a lot of posts that I'm glad I edited before posting. Actually more often I just think to myself "Why are you making your life and that of the person you are responding to worse?" and don't even post at all.

Quote:
I'd like to see an example of such a case.
We may end up disagreeing about any such example, but one case that springs to mind is the way that my friends and I insult each other as a form of bonding. It's the very fact that we are deliberately offensive with our use of language that makes the closeness of the relationship more clear. Of course we also don't take offense. But that sort of insult is really only acceptable among close friends: an acquaintance saying the same things to me would not be welcome.

Every once in a while someone someone steps over the line and the other party does take offense. Generally an apology is enough at that point, and will definitely be offered.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 12:51 AM   #1359
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Greta Thunberg & The 1975 | Recording with music.

https://open.spotify.com/track/1E0WH...Rz29489_HyxDjw

It talks about you.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 02:40 AM   #1360
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The local police have tried to put parents off allowing their children to attend the rally in Bristol today because they cannot guarantee their safety:

Quote:
Avon and Somerset Police say they expect thousands of people at the Bristol Youth Strike 4 Climate on College Green on Friday to hear the 17-year-old climate activist speak.

The force said there was "potential for trips, slips, falls and crushing".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-51649275

The weather today is very poor indeed - rain all day - and I think the turnout will be much lower than expected as a result.

Mrs Don set off on the bus this morning....
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events