ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Iran incidents , Qasem Soleimani , Trump controversies , US-Iran relations

Old 27th January 2020, 01:53 AM   #1761
Planigale
Illuminator

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Discussions about freedom of press in Iran is ludicrous.
This from an article describing Iran using DNS spoofing to redirect the .com to the .ir site quoting Sajad Bonabi, a member of the Board of Directors of Telecommunications Infrastructures Company owned by the Telecommunication Ministry (my bolding).
"The infrastructure that exists in the National Information Network (NIN) resolves many such concerns about unfair sanctions," he said in his tweet.

Bonabi also reassured Iranian website owners that the problem only affected .com domains sold by American domain registrars and .com domains could also be purchased from none-American registrars or they could simply use domains names with the national .ir ending.

NIN is an intranet and relies on the Internet to function. It is the tool that the regime is planning to use to censor the Internet because it provides access only to selected content and bars VPNsfrom being used for accessing the sites that the Iranian authorities have blocked.
So if Iran has little press freedom this justifies the US acting to reduce press freedom for those outside of Iran (including in the US)? This does not restrict access to the news service within Iran only to those outside of Iran (including within the US).
Planigale is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 02:50 AM   #1762
Dipayan
Muse

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
You have that exactly wrong. Dictatorships require that you publicly align your views with them. You can keep private views separate, but publicly you have to support, or claim to support, the regime. They don't want video of people trampling over a flag. They want people to actually do it. Why do you think they painted the flag to cover an entire stairway?
Making people walk over a flag does not achieve anything for the government. When they make people walk over a flag, takes a video of that and releases it to the world then it works as propaganda to demonstrate that the common man in Iran is with the government and against the US
Dipayan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 03:08 AM   #1763
Dipayan
Muse

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Do you have an example of it ever happening before in Iran? Any video, or first hand accounts? Seems new to me, from what I've seen over the years.
No, I don't have an example of this specific type. But any research you do will show that the average Iranian has always been a huge supporter of all things American and the West. I am merely extending this feeling towards the US flag.

The Atlantic article from 2012
Iranian on Quora echoing my view
Dipayan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 05:02 AM   #1764
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/RanjAlaaldin/sta...407406086?s=20

Quote:
Rockets have struck the US Embassy in Baghdad - its dining facility has been hit but the extent of the injuries/damage still unclear. This is a significant escalation that has prompted immediate condemnation from the PM. It could very easily set off another round of conflict.
More in subsequent tweets.
Old 27th January 2020, 07:17 AM   #1765
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

And the censorship campaign continues: Facebook, Instagram Shut Down Pages of Famous Iranian Academic in Total Denial of Freedom of Expression

The details are especially ugly:

Originally Posted by FARS News
TEHRAN (FNA)- Social networking websites Facebook and Instagram both disabled the accounts of renowned Tehran University Professor and analyst Seyed Mohammad Marandi on Saturday in yet another low for the freedom of expression in the US that has already shut down social media pages of tens of Iranian analysts and officials.

“My accounts on Facebook and Instagram were both disabled today in total disregard for the freedom of speech,” Marandi, an Iran affairs expert regularly appearing on a wide range of world media, told FNA Saturday evening.

Asked if his posts covered any illegal or violent contents, he said both social medial outlets had suspended his pages after he released photos of ailing IRGC General Ali Fazli when he was under chemotherapy at a Tehran hospital.

Photos of Fazli in hospital suit at the intensive care unit of a Tehran hospital have been surfacing the social media in Iran very often in recent weeks. Gen. Fazli is one of the tens of thousands of Iranians, including Marandi himself, who sustained serious lung injuries and developed different types of cancers after they came under chemical attack by the army of the former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein who received the raw material and the technical assistance of several European countries to make chemically armed munitions. A large number of chemically wounded Iranians who are still alive and in pain have filed complaints against a number of European states at international courts for their assistance to Saddam’s chemical army. CIA’s Declassified documents released by the western media, including Foreign Policy, in recent years disclosed that the US also assisted Saddam with aerial and satellite images and data on the concentration points of the Iranian troops, including 25,000 Iranian soldiers who came under chemical spray on Faw Island in late 1980s. Marandi himself is still suffering from the wartime wounds he sustained in two chemical attacks in those days. [...]
Old 27th January 2020, 08:26 AM   #1766
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dipayan View Post
Making people walk over a flag does not achieve anything for the government.
The government obviously feels otherwise, or they wouldn't bother putting these flags on the ground for people to walk on.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 10:48 AM   #1767
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Making people walk over a flag does not achieve anything for the government. When they make people walk over a flag, takes a video of that and releases it to the world then it works as propaganda to demonstrate that the common man in Iran is with the government and against the US
You might want to contact the thugocracy as to why they went to the trouble of painting those flags in the first place.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 10:50 AM   #1768
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Making people walk over a flag does not achieve anything for the government.

It would reinforce anti-US sentiment in their population.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 10:58 AM   #1769
trustbutverify
Philosopher

No, I don't have an example of this specific type. But any research you do will show that the average Iranian has always been a huge supporter of all things American and the West. I am merely extending this feeling towards the US flag.

The Atlantic article from 2012
Iranian on Quora echoing my view
And yet, this is the first time (afaik) large numbers of Iranians have been videoed intentionally avoiding walking on the flags of both the great and little Satan as a form of protest, those flags having been positioned by the council of extraordinary Mullahs to make it as inconvenient as possible not to do so. Seems significant to me.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 05:07 AM   #1770
Dipayan
Muse

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
And yet, this is the first time (afaik) large numbers of Iranians have been videoed intentionally avoiding walking on the flags of both the great and little Satan as a form of protest, those flags having been positioned by the council of extraordinary Mullahs to make it as inconvenient as possible not to do so. Seems significant to me.
I mean I would suggest it's more a point of this being the first time it's been shown by mainstream media, probably because of the context. My Iranian colleagues informed me that this has happened before.
Old 28th January 2020, 05:13 AM   #1771
Dipayan
Muse

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
The government obviously feels otherwise, or they wouldn't bother putting these flags on the ground for people to walk on.
The government is not one unified body. There are numerous groups and authorities that are in a constant battle to get temporary supremacy. What I hear is that the flags at the Shahid Beheshti University were created by the local government leaders, probably to curry favour with their bosses. It's a common go-to activity apparently, to reiterate their support of the Ayatollah by showing their disdain for the enemy.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the objective of the flag-drawing was not to force people to walk over it (which was a side effect), but to gain favour from their superiors.
Old 28th January 2020, 01:34 PM   #1772
Planigale
Illuminator

Thumbs up

The government is not one unified body. There are numerous groups and authorities that are in a constant battle to get temporary supremacy. What I hear is that the flags at the Shahid Beheshti University were created by the local government leaders, probably to curry favour with their bosses. It's a common go-to activity apparently, to reiterate their support of the Ayatollah by showing their disdain for the enemy.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the objective of the flag-drawing was not to force people to walk over it (which was a side effect), but to gain favour from their superiors.

Good insight. Iran is not a monolithic state, despite authoritarian elements there are many people just like you and I, some even in government.
Planigale is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 10:55 PM   #1773
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
So if Iran has little press freedom this justifies the US acting to reduce press freedom for those outside of Iran (including in the US)? This does not restrict access to the news service within Iran only to those outside of Iran (including within the US).
Thats pretty much how sanctions work.
The US government has been its own and other country’s citizens of Iranian heritage for decades.

Oh, and it is only .com being blocked .ir work, e.g.,
https://e_visa.mfa.ir/en/ Iran gov visa applications
https://en.mfa.ir/ Iran gov news agency
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald

Last edited by EHocking; 28th January 2020 at 11:07 PM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2020, 07:09 PM   #1774
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Magnier's latest: How Iran decided to bomb US bases and how Trump avoided an all-out war
Old 3rd February 2020, 01:32 PM   #1775
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
And the censorship campaign continues: Facebook, Instagram Shut Down Pages of Famous Iranian Academic in Total Denial of Freedom of Expression

The details are especially ugly:
A quote from Seyed Mohammad Marandi on the sentiment in the US: "Intolerance is on the rise".

I agree.

It's at a level of hysteria out there in social media land.

Not so in Facebook/IG policy, but in some individuals' lives who work in IT for the companies.

So many younger people are still affected by the old conspiracy theories and cold war propaganda from all nations who hadn't adjusted to the global community we now live in.

I'm not sure Facebook's AI or all its content moderators are coping with the realisation that all nations' humans are all human. It takes them a while to work out a report from a scared person.

I can quite understand 75% of the world wanting to block a lot of US misinformation, which I classify as scared old people being scared of being wrong about being scared.

It's their fear that gives rise to the tensions between militaries.

Duterte of the Phillippines also said yesterday we need to end the xenophobia.

Last edited by Orphia Nay; 3rd February 2020 at 01:35 PM.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2020, 02:21 AM   #1776
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

NYT: Was U.S. Wrong About Attack That Nearly Started a War With Iran?

Originally Posted by Alissa J. Rubin
NEPTIS, Iraq — The white Kia pickup turned off the desert road and rumbled onto a dirt track, stopping near a marsh. Soon there was a flash and a ripping sound as the first of the rockets fired from the truck soared toward Iraq’s K-1 military base.

The rockets wounded six people and killed an American contractor, setting off a chain of events that brought the United States and Iran to the brink of war. [...]

The rockets were launched from a Sunni Muslim part of Kirkuk Province notorious for attacks by the Islamic State, a Sunni terrorist group, which would have made the area hostile territory for a Shiite militia like Khataib Hezbollah.

Khataib Hezbollah has not had a presence in Kirkuk Province since 2014.

The Islamic State, however, had carried out three attacks relatively close to the base in the 10 days before the attack on K-1. Iraqi intelligence officials sent reports to the Americans in November and December warning that ISIS intended to target K-1, an Iraqi air base in Kirkuk Province that is also used by American forces.

And the abandoned Kia pickup was found was less than 1,000 feet from the site of an ISIS execution in September of five Shiite buffalo herders.

These facts all point to the Islamic State, Iraqi officials say. [...]

American officials, however, said they had multiple strands of intelligence indicating that Khataib Hezbollah carried it out. [...]

The United States has not presented any of its intelligence publicly. Nor has it shared the intelligence with Iraq. [...]

That was the event that started the chain reaction leading to the murder of Soleimani. The whole article points to another false flag the US has taken the bait of. If like the Russians warn another "chemical attack" show is underway and gets used by al-Qaeda in Idlib, hopefully less people will fall for it.
Old 7th February 2020, 02:37 AM   #1777
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The fact that Trump lied about the casualties of the retaliation strike proves that even he thinks it was a mistake.
Old 8th February 2020, 09:06 PM   #1778
Allen773
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The fact that Trump lied about the casualties of the retaliation strike proves that even he thinks it was a mistake.
I can't help but suspect that military folks talked Trump into this decision - remember, many officers who served in Iraq at the height of the sectarian civil war war in the mid/late 2000s lost friends to Iran-backed militias, and it must have made them very mad indeed to see the guy most responsible (Suleimaini) openly travel around the Middle East, shore up the brutal Assad regime along with Hezbollah, serve as a kingmaker in Iraqi politics, etc. and not being allowed to do anything about it - until Trump came along, tore up the Iran nuclear agreement, and stacked his administration with hardliners on Iran like Pompeo and Bolton. Some of those officers are now flag officers (ie. generals/admirals) and so are in a much more powerful position to advocate their views, including directly to the President.

Also, Trump is old enough to remember the Iranian hostage crisis - one that undoubtedly helped sink the re-election of a US President - , so when the US Embassy was attacked in Iraq on New Year's Eve and there were reports of a hostage situation....
Allen773 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2020, 09:08 PM   #1779
Allen773
Graduate Poster

NYT: Was U.S. Wrong About Attack That Nearly Started a War With Iran?

That was the event that started the chain reaction leading to the murder of Soleimani. The whole article points to another false flag the US has taken the bait of. If like the Russians warn another "chemical attack" show is underway and gets used by al-Qaeda in Idlib, hopefully less people will fall for it.
Assad used chemical weapons on civilians multiple times. Fact. What is this "false-flag" stuff about? Why is "chemical attack" in quotes?
Allen773 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2020, 08:41 AM   #1780
Planigale
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Allen773 View Post
Assad used chemical weapons on civilians multiple times. Fact. What is this "false-flag" stuff about? Why is "chemical attack" in quotes?
It is alleged that one attack was a false flag attack by Syrian rebels / terrorists to provoke a US strike on Assad. The basis for this claim is that this was the conclusion of an independant investigation by OPCW, this was then supressed by request of US / European powers. The reason for suppresion was that this might have required the US to cease co-operation with forces that used chemical weapons. (Although given that the US continued to co-operate with Iraq after it used chemical weapons against Iran this was unlikely.)
Old 10th February 2020, 10:40 AM   #1781
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
It is alleged that one attack was a false flag attack by Syrian rebels / terrorists to provoke a US strike on Assad. The basis for this claim is that this was the conclusion of an independant investigation by OPCW, this was then supressed by request of US / European powers. The reason for suppresion was that this might have required the US to cease co-operation with forces that used chemical weapons. (Although given that the US continued to co-operate with Iraq after it used chemical weapons against Iran this was unlikely.)
If it is the attack I'm recalling, it may not even have been a false flag. Just as likely it was improper storing or handling that resulted in a leak or conventional shelling by Syrian forces hit the stockpile and released it. This was during the phase of the war when Taliban-affiliated forces and old Baathists were fusing into what would eventually become ISIL. Our good old friend Prince Bandar, the House of Saud's perennial arms dealer-slash-jetsetting playboy, was possibly in the middle of this one.
Delphic Oracle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2020, 04:44 AM   #1782
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
If it is the attack I'm recalling, it may not even have been a false flag. Just as likely it was improper storing or handling that resulted in a leak or conventional shelling by Syrian forces hit the stockpile and released it. This was during the phase of the war when Taliban-affiliated forces and old Baathists were fusing into what would eventually become ISIL. Our good old friend Prince Bandar, the House of Saud's perennial arms dealer-slash-jetsetting playboy, was possibly in the middle of this one.

What you are remembering is the big one in the eastern Ghouta of 2013 which almost led to Obama bombing Syria, but he was talked out of it by some sane military people and then the Russians saved the day by bringing the Syrian government to giving up their chemical weapons stock they held as a deterrence against Israel.

As you say, the trace on this one leads to the Saudis and their puppet "Army of Islam" Jihadi gang that controlled the Ghouta at the time and had their fingerprints all over the crime scene.

Planigale is referring to the (hopefully) "last" big one in 2018, in Douma (also in the eastern Ghouta), that led to Trump bombing the Syrian desert for the second time. Over this - and its investigation by the OPCW -, a scandal is unfolding for the last half year that should be all over the news but is kept under the radar in a way that is fascinating to watch.

Just published today, there is now a (at least) third whistleblower from inside the organization. The article goes into the history of the development in quite some detail.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 11th February 2020 at 04:46 AM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2020, 10:38 AM   #1783
Planigale
Illuminator

What you are remembering is the big one in the eastern Ghouta of 2013 which almost led to Obama bombing Syria, but he was talked out of it by some sane military people and then the Russians saved the day by bringing the Syrian government to giving up their chemical weapons stock they held as a deterrence against Israel.

As you say, the trace on this one leads to the Saudis and their puppet "Army of Islam" Jihadi gang that controlled the Ghouta at the time and had their fingerprints all over the crime scene.

Planigale is referring to the (hopefully) "last" big one in 2018, in Douma (also in the eastern Ghouta), that led to Trump bombing the Syrian desert for the second time. Over this - and its investigation by the OPCW -, a scandal is unfolding for the last half year that should be all over the news but is kept under the radar in a way that is fascinating to watch.

Just published today, there is now a (at least) third whistleblower from inside the organization. The article goes into the history of the development in quite some detail.
I think that a little like the WMD claims that caused the second Iraqi war, the chemical weapon incidents in Syria and even the most recent attack that killed a US contractor that was attributed to Iranian militia even though it happened in an area where ISIL was active, all reflect a trend to interpret 'intelligence' in line with the needs of the executive. This tendency may get worse as Trump selects more partisan members of the NSA.

I think that the Iranians got a free pass on their retaliation may indeed indicate that the US got it wrong on who attacked them and there may have been a behind the scenes deal 'we wrongly targeted your guys so as long as you don't kill any US soldiers we aren't going to escalate if you respond.'

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events