ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags celebrity incidents , Mick Jagger , sexual assault incidents , sexual assault issues

Old 3rd February 2020, 08:42 PM   #121
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Get serious, that cannot be true.
Its Sweden, and yes, its true.

They call this philosophy "lagom" which loosely translates to "not to little, not too much", and they apply it across the board to all aspects of their lifestyle

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 08:47 PM   #122
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Its Sweden, and yes, its true.

They call this philosophy "lagom" which loosely translates to "not to little, not too much", and they apply it across the board to all aspects of their lifestyle
Interesting. I noticed when watching Norwegian and Danish television shows they sometimes allude to Sweden as if it were Sodom and Gomorrah, a hotbed of licentiousness and crime.
Old 3rd February 2020, 08:55 PM   #123
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Teenage girls mature faster than teenage boys. If there’s any question why a 15 year old would pursue an adult man, it’s probably because they know how to use deodorant, shower, have a 5 o’clock shadow, and confidence. Teenage boys are not arousing for a young lady.

But men should always ask for age if there’s any question that a woman is under 21. Mick didn’t ask, and maybe he didn’t want to know the answer. But without that information, neither did anything “wrong.”

Re: teenage groupies. This always troubled me, because the age of the women was often known by the men. But again, as a former teenage girl, and one who flirted desperately and hoped to bed an adult man and failed (a disappointment then, but respectable now), it doesn’t surprise me in the least to hear this gal wanted to bed Mick.

If there’s a desire to crucify a man for porking an underage woman, can we please, please please go after Roman Polanski?
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:00 PM   #124
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MoeFaux View Post
If there’s a desire to crucify a man for porking an underage woman, can we please, please please go after Roman Polanski?
Why? His alleged victim doesn't want him prosecuted just like Rae Dawn Chong doesn't want Jagger prosecuted.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:09 PM   #125
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
A 15 year old and a 16 year old is far less dreadful than a 15 year old and a 33 year old!
I was 15, she was 30 something and it wasn't dreadful in the least. It was glorious!
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:23 PM   #126
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
I was 15, she was 30 something and it wasn't dreadful in the least. It was glorious!
In keeping with the musical theme of this thread so far, I present...

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 3rd February 2020 at 09:24 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:44 PM   #127
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Why? His alleged victim doesn't want him prosecuted just like Rae Dawn Chong doesn't want Jagger prosecuted.
Chong and Jagger were engaged in consensual acts. Polanski drugged the girl. She did not consent.
Old 4th February 2020, 12:45 AM   #128
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
So, am I to understand that in Sweden it would be illegal for a parent of 15 year old to interfere in their childrens' personal lives unless the kid is in some sort of objectively abusive, negative or illegal relationship? 14 year olds, 13 year olds, 12 year olds?
I think the USA is the outlier in the modern world with its various forms of emmancipation of minors.
Old 4th February 2020, 01:05 AM   #129
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Look up "emancipation of minors" in the USA.

In general terms what Arcade22 describes is what happens in the UK. A 5 year trying to refuse medical treatment will have very little sway, a 15 year old can stop medical treatment even if the parents have given consent. Parents and legal guardians do not have rights in regards to "their" children, they are merely legally able to stand in to protect the rights of the kids. When parents themselves start to abuse the rights of children they can face legal challenge. Of course that is only in extreme situations and a parent isn't going to be took to court by their 10 year old because they wont let her play out with her best friend.
Old 4th February 2020, 02:27 AM   #130
Planigale
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Look up "emancipation of minors" in the USA.

In general terms what Arcade22 describes is what happens in the UK*. A 5 year trying to refuse medical treatment will have very little sway, a 15 year old can stop medical treatment even if the parents have given consent. Parents and legal guardians do not have rights in regards to "their" children, they are merely legally able to stand in to protect the rights of the kids. When parents themselves start to abuse the rights of children they can face legal challenge. Of course that is only in extreme situations and a parent isn't going to be took to court by their 10 year old because they wont let her play out with her best friend.
Sorry you have this the wrong way round. A fifteen year old can consent to treatment, they cannot refuse treatment, in that case the parent's consent would override the child's refusal. There have been cases where the child has gone to court, been made a ward of court which overrides the parental rights and the court has agreed with the child's desire not to be treated, but that is the court not the child refusing consent.

The cases around a child's consent to treatment arose from teenagers seeking contraception, they could consent if competent (Gillick competence) and parental consent was not required.

https://www.medicalprotection.org/uk...d-young-people

* Of course the UK does not have a unitary legal system I refer to the law in England and Wales, which is what I assume you meant. The law in Scotland is less clear but probably a Gillick competent child can refuse consent, but this would likely be tested in court.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 02:40 AM   #131
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
Sorry you have this the wrong way round. A fifteen year old can consent to treatment, they cannot refuse treatment, in that case the parent's consent would override the child's refusal. There have been cases where the child has gone to court, been made a ward of court which overrides the parental rights and the court has agreed with the child's desire not to be treated, but that is the court not the child refusing consent.

The cases around a child's consent to treatment arose from teenagers seeking contraception, they could consent if competent (Gillick competence) and parental consent was not required.

https://www.medicalprotection.org/uk...d-young-people

* Of course the UK does not have a unitary legal system I refer to the law in England and Wales, which is what I assume you meant. The law in Scotland is less clear but probably a Gillick competent child can refuse consent, but this would likely be tested in court.
You are saying the exact same as I was saying... I must have been unclear.

But you are mistaken about one thing, our human rights are at an individual level regardless of age, a child has the exact same rights as an adult.
Old 4th February 2020, 02:53 AM   #132
Planigale
Illuminator

You are saying the exact same as I was saying... I must have been unclear.

But you are mistaken about one thing, our human rights are at an individual level regardless of age, a child has the exact same rights as an adult.
No, you said a child (<16) has a right to refuse treatment (E&W) that is wrong. They have a positive right to consent that overrides the parent, they do NOT have a negative right to refuse treatment that overrides the parent's consent to treatment.

Human rights and the rights of a child are a different issue from the law around children and consent. Further discussion would be a derail.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 04:27 AM   #133
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
No, you said a child (<16) has a right to refuse treatment (E&W) that is wrong. They have a positive right to consent that overrides the parent, they do NOT have a negative right to refuse treatment that overrides the parent's consent to treatment.

Human rights and the rights of a child are a different issue from the law around children and consent. Further discussion would be a derail.
Nope. A child does have the right to not give consent. Whether that lack of consent can be overridden is based on the capacity of the child and its age.

And this is all about human rights, that is exactly what the age of consent is about. In the UK we do actually have the right to have sex and the government can only override that right in limited ways. The usual mechanism is in regards to age, but it is not age alone as capacity comes into it as well.
Old 4th February 2020, 06:52 AM   #134
Arcade22
Philosopher

From the Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare:

Quote:
The hallmark of honor-related violence
Honor-related violence is characterized by certain components that distinguish it from other violence by relatives.
Honorary thinking means that notions of innocence and chastity are the focus and that girls' and women's actual or
alleged behavior affects the reputation and reputation of the family and the family. Girls 'innocence must be preserved
in order to maintain family honor, and control of girls' and women's sexuality is central. Boys and men are also subjected to this type of violence.
Central to this is that the choice of partner is not the concern of the individual but of the family or a larger collective.

Violence of this type is, among other things, often planned and can be both practiced and sanctioned by several people.
For example, practitioners may be the closest family while relatives outside the immediate circle approve and operate on it.
In the context of honor-related norms, the rights of the individual are subordinate to what is considered best for the collective, that is, the family and the family.
The individual's desire is opposed to the damage that this desire could cause to the honor of the family and the family.

The honor is linked to the collective, so the family members have a common honor and everyone is interdependent. Rumors are enough for a family to lose their honor.
In short, the kind of restrictions that are evidently considered perfectly acceptable among Americans (restrictions on dating, sexual relationships and so forth) tend to fall under the label of honor-related oppression and are not acceptable. This doesn't mean that their parents or guardians aren't allowed to be concerned about those things, but they have to accept that their child is a individual with their own opinions and desires especially as they become older.

Unless their concerns are based on reasonable threats to their welfare and well-being, and any restrictions are proportional to this threat, the child's autonomy and independence should be not be infringed. This is especially the case with those who are 15 years old or older, as they are above the age of consent and are free to engage in sexual relationships with others to (almost) the same degree of adults.

Last edited by Arcade22; 4th February 2020 at 06:53 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 07:13 AM   #135
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Interesting. I noticed when watching Norwegian and Danish television shows they sometimes allude to Sweden as if it were Sodom and Gomorrah, a hotbed of licentiousness and crime.
It is.
Old 4th February 2020, 07:36 AM   #136
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
From the Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare:

In short, the kind of restrictions that are evidently considered perfectly acceptable among Americans (restrictions on dating, sexual relationships and so forth) tend to fall under the label of honor-related oppression and are not acceptable. This doesn't mean that their parents or guardians aren't allowed to be concerned about those things, but they have to accept that their child is a individual with their own opinions and desires especially as they become older.

Unless their concerns are based on reasonable threats to their welfare and well-being, and any restrictions are proportional to this threat, the child's autonomy and independence should be not be infringed. This is especially the case with those who are 15 years old or older, as they are above the age of consent and are free to engage in sexual relationships with others to (almost) the same degree of adults.
I think you have a distorted view of American culture.
Old 4th February 2020, 07:38 AM   #137
ahhell
Illuminator

Based on Arcade22s description, Sweden doesn't really seem to have that big a different opinion on child welfare than most folks I've known, they just codified a slightly more permissive attitude and Arcade depicted it as the most extreme version he could. This has the benefit of supporting a fairly distorted view of American Culture that seems to be derived from the Beverly Hillbillies.

Last edited by ahhell; 4th February 2020 at 07:40 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 08:05 AM   #138
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Quote:
If there's a desire to crucify a man for porking an underage woman, can we please, please please go after Roman Polanski?
Quote:
Polanski was prosecuted and plead guilty 42 years ago. He fled the country to avoid prison time, but he was prosecuted regardless of what his victim thought. And obviously what she thinks today doesn't change what happened 42 years ago.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 4th February 2020 at 08:07 AM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 10:21 AM   #139
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Based on Arcade22s description, Sweden doesn't really seem to have that big a different opinion on child welfare than most folks I've known, they just codified a slightly more permissive attitude and Arcade depicted it as the most extreme version he could. This has the benefit of supporting a fairly distorted view of American Culture that seems to be derived from the Beverly Hillbillies.
I'm not saying that all American parent(s), or even most of them, act like that.

Yet it's the kind of parenting style that comes up regularly enough in American movies, TV shows and such that it can be dismissed as some fringe phenomenon that only exists out in the boondocks or bayou. Why do you think so many LGBT youth run away from home (or are evicted by their parents, even-though that's illegal)? It's not because their parents respect their sexual orientation, individual autonomy and freedom to choose their personal relationships.
Old 4th February 2020, 10:25 AM   #140
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I'm not saying that all American parent(s), or even most of them, act like that.

Yet it's the kind of parenting style that comes up regularly enough in American movies, TV shows and such that it can be dismissed as some fringe phenomenon that only exists out in the boondocks or bayou. Why do you think so many LGBT youth run away from home (or are evicted by their parents, even-though that's illegal)? It's not because their parents respect their sexual orientation, individual autonomy and freedom to choose their personal relationships.
Judging by American TV and movies most of us have an evil twin, have gotten temporary amnesia after a blow to the head, and sip from empty mugs.
Old 4th February 2020, 10:31 AM   #141
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Was this before, during, or after her alleged incestuous relationship with her father?
AFAIK, after.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 10:38 AM   #142
Arcade22
Philosopher

People should not be prosecuted for their alleged crimes just as a form of institutionalized and regularized revenge or a way to secure compensation for the victim(s), but rather because the criminal behavior has such a negative impact on either individuals or society that it should be repressed.

In that regard it should be completely irrelevant whether the victim wants them to be prosecuted or not. Certain kind of career criminals that operate under a code of silence, and refuse to cooperate with the judicial system, are a great example of the victims of crime that should still be protected by the law even when they prefer their own extra-legal form of revenge.
Old 4th February 2020, 11:12 AM   #143
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

Mick Jagger, graduate of the Fabian London School of Economics, establishment stooge and all-round fraud.

"Please allow me to introduce myself ..."
Old 4th February 2020, 11:59 AM   #144
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
Mick Jagger, graduate of the Fabian London School of Economics, establishment stooge and all-round fraud.

??
Old 4th February 2020, 12:26 PM   #145
ahhell
Illuminator

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post

??
So, the London School of Economics was founded by a bunch of Fabian Society members. IIRC, the Fabians were what Marx called utopian socialists as opposed to his scientific socialism. Again, IIRC, he had a soft spot for them but thought they had become obsolete by his time.

Anyrate, I think IsThisLife is probably some sort of marxist or anarchist so any graduate of a Fabian Society school must be suspect? Maybe its a far right thing instead, IDK. Still seems to be a "you can't trust fabians!" sort of idea, which is pretty funny because almost nobody knows what they are or were at this point.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 12:29 PM   #146
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Nit: I think Jagger quit LSE to do music before graduating.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 12:31 PM   #147
Belz...
Fiend God

Okay, maybe they don't necessarily threaten their daughters lover with a gun but apparently it's still deemed completely appropriate to basically lock them up inside their own home to "protect" them from themselves and their perfectly legal relationships.
It is? Where?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 04:34 PM   #148
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
It is? Where?
It feels like every single American movie or TV show depicting teenage relationships always show their parents objecting to it, because they know just how dangerous teenage love and sex is. At some point they become angry when their child (especially if they are female) comes home after they have been with their lover, which tends to imply that they need their parents permission to be in a relationship or even just be with someone (It's almost as if their parents have a say in who they can be partners with). So of course they impose a curfew upon them, because again their child can be kept at home at their parents leisure.

Oh and their parents are so concerned about their children's welfare that they absolutely demand that their lover have dinner with them. Just to make sure whether they consent to the relationship apparently. No doubt every teen is thrilled to be forced to have their boy/girlfriend judged and evaluated by their parents (as is their right).

Last edited by Arcade22; 4th February 2020 at 04:39 PM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 04:42 PM   #149
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

It feels like every single American movie or TV show depicting teenage relationships always show their parents objecting to it, because they know just how dangerous teenage love and sex is. At some point they become angry when their child (especially if they are female) comes home after they have been with their lover, which tends to imply that they need their parents permission to be in a relationship or even just be with someone (It's almost as if their parents have a say in who they can be partners with). So of course they impose a curfew upon them, because again their child can be kept at home at their parents leisure.

Oh and their parents are so concerned about their children's welfare that they absolutely demand that their lover have dinner with them. Just to make sure whether they consent to the relationship apparently. No doubt every teen is thrilled to be forced to have their boy/girlfriend judged and evaluated by their parents (as is their right).
Yes, that's definitely exactly what always happens in America. Then, just in time for Christmas, someone in the family Learns A Valuable Lesson. And sometimes we get calls from the killer, who is always Inside The House. We can talk it over with our Wacky Neighbor, the Sassy Ethnic Coworker, or any of the other TV Tropes that are definitely real things that inhabit our American universe.

Maybe you just need to watch better TV? I'd suggest BoJack Horseman but you might take away the idea that we have anthropomorphic animals living here. We do, actually, but they're nowhere near as funny as the TV ones.
Old 4th February 2020, 05:53 PM   #150
Joe Random
Master Poster

Well **** me. Having watched Lars von Trier's Riget a few times I guess I'm now in a position to tell Denmark everything they're doing wrong WRT health care. Thanks, ISF!

P.s. Dear Denmark : please allow junior registrars to book CT scans. TIA, JR.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 06:16 PM   #151
Max_mang
Critical Thinker

It's so cliched and baked in to the culture it's used in commercials. This one is from last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H45-5Rga1B8

Back on topic, my personal feeling is this: Mick shouldn't have done it. Even if he was a caring, loving, generous, all-around great guy and she was mature for her age and completely capable of handling it (in other words the most ideal conditions imaginable), he shouldn't have done it.

He should have been the adult and decided there's still some variables that can't be known at the time. He also could've thought "You know, maybe other people will hear about this and see how easy it is to have sex with underage girls when you're in showbiz. This could lead to real perverts and predators getting in to showbiz just for that reason and make it so bad there has to be a giant #metoo movement someday to fight against it." (that last one's a stretch, I know)
Max_mang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 07:16 PM   #152
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Yes, that's definitely exactly what always happens in America. Then, just in time for Christmas, someone in the family Learns A Valuable Lesson. And sometimes we get calls from the killer, who is always Inside The House. We can talk it over with our Wacky Neighbor, the Sassy Ethnic Coworker, or any of the other TV Tropes that are definitely real things that inhabit our American universe.

Maybe you just need to watch better TV? I'd suggest BoJack Horseman but you might take away the idea that we have anthropomorphic animals living here. We do, actually, but they're nowhere near as funny as the TV ones.
Arcade22 didn't say it always happens, read what they said again.

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
Well **** me. Having watched Lars von Trier's Riget a few times I guess I'm now in a position to tell Denmark everything they're doing wrong WRT health care. Thanks, ISF!

P.s. Dear Denmark : please allow junior registrars to book CT scans. TIA, JR.
I think they were talking about Sweden, not Denmark......oh, are you American?

Last edited by p0lka; 4th February 2020 at 07:24 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 08:19 PM   #153
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Max_mang View Post
It's so cliched and baked in to the culture it's used in commercials. This one is from last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H45-5Rga1B8

Back on topic, my personal feeling is this: Mick shouldn't have done it. Even if he was a caring, loving, generous, all-around great guy and she was mature for her age and completely capable of handling it (in other words the most ideal conditions imaginable), he shouldn't have done it.

He should have been the adult and decided there's still some variables that can't be known at the time. He also could've thought "You know, maybe other people will hear about this and see how easy it is to have sex with underage girls when you're in showbiz. This could lead to real perverts and predators getting in to showbiz just for that reason and make it so bad there has to be a giant #metoo movement someday to fight against it." (that last one's a stretch, I know)

Oh, hindsight is so 20-20!! Especially, the hindsight of those who weren't even there!

Old 4th February 2020, 11:14 PM   #154
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
It is? Where?
Joe Biden frequently perpetuates this idea. He is big on the "lock up your daughters" train.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...e-warning.html

__________________________________________________ _________
"At a swearing-in ceremony in 2013, Biden told Emily [Sen. Orrin Hatch’s granddaughter] to take care of her grandfather and instructed her “no serious guys until you’re 30.” Two years later, Emily reintroduced herself to Biden. “Hi Emily, how are you?” Biden responded before immediately issuing the gag, apparently to Emily’s family members: “I hope you have a big fence around the house!”

This fence joke appeared to be Biden’s going line in 2015 while swearing in the 113th Congress as the president of the Senate. After meeting Alaska Sen. Dan Sullivan’s family, including Sullivan’s three teenage daughters, Biden first asked their ages, then asked Sullivan, “I want to know, do you have a big, big fence around your house?” A C-SPAN video from that swearing-in also showed Biden putting his arm around one girl’s waist. “Just remember, no serious guys until you’re 30,” he told her.

Here are just a few more past examples:

• In 2011, to various female relatives of Sens. Barbara Mikulski, Michael Bennet, Chuck Schumer, John Thune, and others: “Just remember, no dates till you’re 30.”

• In 2011, per a 12-year-old Pennsylvania girl: “He told me not to date boys until I’m 30!”

• In 2012, to the brother of a young North Carolina woman: “Know what my dad … used to say? You have one job: Keep boys away from your sister.”

• At the same campaign event, to a different girl: “No dates until you’re 30.”

• In 2012, to a preteen girl in Ohio: “I hope you’ve got a big fence around your house. … No serious dates until you’re 30.”

• In 2013, to Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill, in reference to her two daughters: “You gonna build a fence around the house? A lotta machine guns?”'
__________________________________________________ __________

So...lock up your daughters: it's still a big thing. At least with Joe Biden, who seems to be obsessed with them. He's no Mick Jagger, though, so he hasn't got a chance.
Old 4th February 2020, 11:34 PM   #155
xjx388
Philosopher

I think it just boils down to a sociocultural difference; the two countries just value different things in parenting -on so many levels.

Which is a small part of why “it works in the Nordic countries,” isn’t really a good argument for something working in the US.

As far as Mick Jagger goes, this just seems to be something that we tolerate and keep quiet about with Rock stars (and famous people in general). Jimmy Page had a 14 yo girlfriend. Elvis and Priscilla. Jerry Lee Lewis. On and on.

It’s weird to me that we know these things but it doesn’t seem to bother anyone. Like we give them a license to break laws, get away with it and we keep supporting them.
Old 5th February 2020, 05:40 AM   #156
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Joe Biden frequently perpetuates this idea. He is big on the "lock up your daughters" train.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...e-warning.html

__________________________________________________ _________
"At a swearing-in ceremony in 2013, Biden told Emily [Sen. Orrin Hatch’s granddaughter] to take care of her grandfather and instructed her “no serious guys until you’re 30.” Two years later, Emily reintroduced herself to Biden. “Hi Emily, how are you?” Biden responded before immediately issuing the gag, apparently to Emily’s family members: “I hope you have a big fence around the house!”

This fence joke appeared to be Biden’s going line in 2015 while swearing in the 113th Congress as the president of the Senate. After meeting Alaska Sen. Dan Sullivan’s family, including Sullivan’s three teenage daughters, Biden first asked their ages, then asked Sullivan, “I want to know, do you have a big, big fence around your house?” A C-SPAN video from that swearing-in also showed Biden putting his arm around one girl’s waist. “Just remember, no serious guys until you’re 30,” he told her.

Here are just a few more past examples:

• In 2011, to various female relatives of Sens. Barbara Mikulski, Michael Bennet, Chuck Schumer, John Thune, and others: “Just remember, no dates till you’re 30.”

• In 2011, per a 12-year-old Pennsylvania girl: “He told me not to date boys until I’m 30!”

• In 2012, to the brother of a young North Carolina woman: “Know what my dad … used to say? You have one job: Keep boys away from your sister.”

• At the same campaign event, to a different girl: “No dates until you’re 30.”

• In 2012, to a preteen girl in Ohio: “I hope you’ve got a big fence around your house. … No serious dates until you’re 30.”

• In 2013, to Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill, in reference to her two daughters: “You gonna build a fence around the house? A lotta machine guns?”'
__________________________________________________ __________

So...lock up your daughters: it's still a big thing. At least with Joe Biden, who seems to be obsessed with them. He's no Mick Jagger, though, so he hasn't got a chance.
Ugh. I find these kinds of remarks, repeated so often, sketchy as f. I hope it's just Biden being tonedeaf and stupid and from the 1910s.
Old 5th February 2020, 06:08 AM   #157
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Ugh. I find these kinds of remarks, repeated so often, sketchy as f. I hope it's just Biden being tonedeaf and stupid and from the 1910s.
Indeed, I hope he doesn't give a fence.

Think about it...
Old 5th February 2020, 06:15 AM   #158
Belz...
Fiend God

It feels like every single American movie or TV show depicting teenage relationships always show their parents objecting to it, because they know just how dangerous teenage love and sex is.
For pete's sake, I thought you were talking about reality.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 06:18 AM   #159
carlitos
"más divertido"

He's no Mick Jagger....
I’ll take “Joe Biden rejected campaign slogans” for $200, Alex.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 09:31 AM   #160
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Same. Was grossed out and angered to know it’s a regular occurrence and not a one-time gaffe. He’s an idiot grandpa; that he didn’t eliminate it from his go-to lines shows how out of touch he is.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events