ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th February 2020, 09:24 AM   #1
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

2 year old nearly drowns in crowded pool

I'm sharing this more for general safety awareness then for it's being interesting to discuss in and off itself, but it shows how even a crowded pool a child can easily be out of view.

At a hotel in Livonia, Michigan a 2 year old child slipped to the bottom of the pool and stayed there, underwater, for close to 4 minutes despite the pool being (best guesstimate from the video) no more then about 10 x 30, maybe 15 x 40, feet and having about a dozen people playing in it throughout the entire period of time. Eventually the child was noticed by a 9 year old girl and pulled from the water by his/her God Mother.

So please keep an extra eye on children around pools.

One stroke of luck, a nursing convention was happening at the hotel. The article is short on details but the child was described as having been giving CPR, taken to a hospital, and released.

Article with video of incident. The video might be hard to watch for some people. https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending/...MXSBOAHW3QGNU/

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 14th February 2020 at 09:25 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 04:44 AM   #2
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

4 minutes is a long time. I hope the kid fully recovers.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 05:27 AM   #3
sphenisc
Philosopher

Interesting to watch how the incident develops compared to how I'd imagine such things happen. Firstly in a pool full of people, the child is never out of sight. Three girls standing inches from the child lying on the bottom of the pool, seemingly unaware.
One girl wanders along the poolside, spots there's a problem and then slowly and hesitantly walks back to tell an adult.
Adult slowly walks to pool edge, and then takes time to respond to what she's seeing.
Just weird how different people really behave from how I think they would.
Old 16th February 2020, 07:32 AM   #4
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
Just weird how different people really behave from how I think they would.

“Silent drowning”! Notice that the rescuer in the second clip is a trained professional. He knows what’s happening and how to respond:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I guess we base our ideas of situations like these on movie dramatizations.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 16th February 2020 at 07:33 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 01:01 PM   #5
deadrose
Illuminator

The opacity of the water sure isn't helping. It's reminiscent of a case at a Seattle hotel seven years ago. The firefighters couldn't see the college student's body, so they left without ever physically checking the pool. I haven't been able to find any information on the results of the wrongful death lawsuit, so it may have been settled out of court quietly.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/hotel-poo...ing/246535803/

The pool owners may be liable if their maintenance is deemed to have caused the water conditions. Hope the kid is okay, but it sounds as if he is. Kids seem to have some traces of the mammalian diving reflex left.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2020, 12:08 AM   #6
Doghouse Reilly
Adrift on an uncharted sea

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
The opacity of the water sure isn't helping. It's reminiscent of a case at a Seattle hotel seven years ago. The firefighters couldn't see the college student's body, so they left without ever physically checking the pool. I haven't been able to find any information on the results of the wrongful death lawsuit, so it may have been settled out of court quietly.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/hotel-poo...ing/246535803/

The pool owners may be liable if their maintenance is deemed to have caused the water conditions. Hope the kid is okay, but it sounds as if he is. Kids seem to have some traces of the mammalian diving reflex left.
I find it absolutely insane that anyone would allow a young child in a pool without eyes on them at all times. It's just crazy. How ignorant can people be? Watching the video felt like something out of the Twilight Zone, I simply can't relate to the situation, that caretakers of a child wouldn't be hyper-attentive at a pool situation like that.

Last edited by Doghouse Reilly; 17th February 2020 at 12:09 AM.
Doghouse Reilly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2020, 12:55 AM   #7
lauwersw
Thinker

Originally Posted by Doghouse Reilly View Post
I find it absolutely insane that anyone would allow a young child in a pool without eyes on them at all times. It's just crazy. How ignorant can people be? Watching the video felt like something out of the Twilight Zone, I simply can't relate to the situation, that caretakers of a child wouldn't be hyper-attentive at a pool situation like that.
My thoughts exactly! You don't leave kids out of sight in a pool until they can reliably swim and are like 7 years old.
lauwersw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2020, 02:14 AM   #8
dann
Philosopher

I know that you wrote "like", but ...
https://www.wisn.com/article/autopsy...victim/5987039
https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...amily-reunion/
https://fox59.com/2019/08/09/7-year-...t-texas-beach/
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...e18328769.html
https://apnews.com/fd9bba7fc35b47d987fd4b9e2097945e
http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/sim/en/p...d-boy-drowning
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events