ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigotry incidents , bigotry issues , India incidents , India issues

Old 26th September 2019, 02:39 AM   #81
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I'll just leave this here - words fail me: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-49835830
Old 26th September 2019, 03:05 AM   #82
Susheel
Graduate Poster

How about this:

https://www.timesnownews.com/india/a...missing/477288

The police in UP (Chief minister is another 'priest') refused to file a First Information Report on the complaint until the courts ordered them to. The accused in meanwhile in hospital because "he felt faint". Meanwhile, the accused has admitted to having received massages while nude. The girl was also arrested after this based on allegations of attempted extortion and the court has refused bail. The idea is to harass and intimidate the girl until she withdrws her case. No opposition party has spoken out about this.
Old 26th September 2019, 03:21 AM   #83
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I'll just leave this here - words fail me: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-49835830
While most urban/upper middle class will brush this off as an aberration mainly found among the poor and uneducated, this is not true. Casteist oppression and violence is pervasive among the the urban educated classes too.
Old 26th September 2019, 10:41 AM   #84
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
The idea is to harass and intimidate the girl until she withdrws her case.
Appears to be working fine.

At least the idea of targeting families is entirely biblical, so people like Trump can support it.
Old 26th September 2019, 04:04 PM   #85
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Now look like Modi and Donnie are best friends.
I may vomit.
How long until we read about a new Trump real estate project in India?

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 26th September 2019 at 04:05 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 04:06 PM   #86
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, India's once much valued image as a tolerant nation is now totally gone.
The sort of people who killed Gandhi are now running the country.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 04:34 PM   #87
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Birds of a feather.
Old 26th September 2019, 06:56 PM   #88
Susheel
Graduate Poster

I may vomit.
How long until we read about a new Trump real estate project in India?
The current joke in India since the HowdyModi circus and the news of the commencement of the impeachment enquiry is that Modi intends to join the BJP. The BJP is famous for inducting corrupt politicians and businessmen into the patty and getting the charges against them dropped.
Old 26th September 2019, 07:02 PM   #89
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Another story from the cess pool called UP.
http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3...y7HBz0gksykLd0

Last edited by Susheel; 26th September 2019 at 07:05 PM.
Susheel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 09:32 PM   #90
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Another story from the cess pool called UP.
Jesus. What the hell is wrong with people?
Old 28th September 2019, 07:19 PM   #91
Susheel
Graduate Poster

And as expected
government-decides-to-withdraw-rape-case-against-swami-chinmayananda-1209450-2018-04-11
Old 30th September 2019, 12:46 AM   #92
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Latest in the news...The Supreme Court has postponed hearings on Kashmir citing lack of time as they have to prioritize the Ayodhya issue (whether a mosque built by Emperor Babar in the 16th century was the actual site of the birth of a mythological figure).

Last edited by Susheel; 30th September 2019 at 12:53 AM.
Susheel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2019, 01:10 AM   #93
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Yeah, I can see the court having no pressure on it at all to delay Kashmir.

Modi's just going to take the Putin route of completely ignoring any criticism and bluster his way through.

It will probably work exactly as Crimea has.
Old 30th September 2019, 01:30 AM   #94
Susheel
Graduate Poster

I am wondering if this thread would be a good place to provide updates on the complex linguistic, cultural, religious and communal cauldron that is India. Warning though...it will have a pretty leftist bias...which by American standards would be pretty far left.
Old 30th September 2019, 11:11 AM   #95
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I am wondering if this thread would be a good place to provide updates on the complex linguistic, cultural, religious and communal cauldron that is India. Warning though...it will have a pretty leftist bias...which by American standards would be pretty far left.
Doesn't sound like any sort of a problem to me, and I'd be glad for your views - you're close to the action and giving pretty good info.

Don't forget the financial corruption, with another banking disaster happening, and one that will impact the lower levels of society rather than the higher.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/71373106.cms

If true - which it certainly appears - a co-operative bank having 90% of its assets tied up with one organisation should have those responsible tarred and feathered. That's a bloody disgrace.
Old 2nd October 2019, 11:04 PM   #96
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Yesterday, India celebrated Gandhi’s birth anniversary. A national holiday, statue garlanding by local politicians, school indoctrination sessions, and most ironically speeches on Gandhi’s greatness by members of the ruling party that identifies itself with the organisation that arranged for his murder. For many on the “left”, we have for the past few years been forced to defend Gandhi against the rightwing hindu groups who see Gandhi’s rather pitiful appeasement (towards the upper castes) filled attempts at egalitarianism as a threat to their divinely ordained birth-right entitlements.
The liberals comprising mostly the “woke” upper castes see Gandhi's soft liberalism as a counter to the hard-line hindutva brigade because they are uncomfortable with the radicalism of Ambedkar. Gandhi allowed them to display a sense of self righteous indignation without endangering their own privileged positions. Gandhi’s own prejudices are quite well known. He had quite strong racist opinions in Africa which to his credit he did drop during his later years, but he continued to believe that caste was an important cultural artefact and if “used” properly, it would contribute to the greatness of the nation.
Where Gandhi insisted that casteism should be reformed and preserved, Dr. Ambedkar wanted the destruction of Brahminism and quite rightly saw that as long as Hinduism existed, casteism would continue. This makes the entitled liberals in India uncomfortable as Hinduism’s existence is firmly rooted in the socio-economics of casteism.
This has also resulted in any real attempts at emancipation becoming diluted to appease upper caste interests.
Old 3rd October 2019, 10:08 AM   #97
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

And following on to that, Gandhi's ashes were stolen yesterday and the word "Traitor" painted on photos at his memorial.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-49922319

Given the Orwellian re-writing of Indian history, I'd give it no more than a decade until he's expunged completely.
Old 14th October 2019, 01:41 AM   #98
Susheel
Graduate Poster

After the head of the RSS, the ideological headquarters of the ruling party declares lynching as being a "western" concept drawn from the Bible Lynching is alien concept to defame India
...the Union Home Minister goes one step further, saying that wester concepts of human rights cannot be applied to India:
Human rights western
Old 14th October 2019, 05:05 PM   #99
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Please tell me this James Bond villain level act is from a satire or fake news site.
https://www.khaleejtimes.com/interna...emanding-wages
Old 14th October 2019, 07:39 PM   #100
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

You may be interested to know that Pakistan is a whole different country to India.
Old 15th October 2019, 03:53 AM   #101
Susheel
Graduate Poster

You may be interested to know that Pakistan is a whole different country to India.
True enough...however, the populace do tend to try and out do the other in sheer dickishness. One must remember that until the mid 20th century all the countries in South Asia shared a more or less common feudal legacy.

Last edited by Susheel; 15th October 2019 at 04:18 AM.
Old 23rd October 2019, 05:07 AM   #102
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Ilhan Omar rips into journalist of the Times of India during congressional hearing on the Kashmir Situation. The journalist was trying to play the FOX role for the Indian government. Considering that the "newspaper" she works for preferred to carry a front page pic of the Duchess of Cambridge's skirt being blown up by the wind during her visit to India, she and her paper deserve whatever derision anyone can spare.
ilhan-omar-slams-times-of-india-journalist-during-us-congressional-hearing-on-kashmir-term-her-claims-dubious
Old 30th September 2020, 02:46 AM   #103
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

And in a surprise to absolutely nobody, India's court system has exonerated a load of BJP members for their attacks on a mosque in 1993.

Corruption reigns supreme in Modi-land.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...emolition-case
Old 30th September 2020, 03:07 AM   #104
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

And in a surprise to absolutely nobody, India's court system has exonerated a load of BJP members for their attacks on a mosque in 1993.

Corruption reigns supreme in Modi-land.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...emolition-case
It's frightening the grip he seems to have over the entire Indian state. He's the same as Erdoğan.
Old 30th September 2020, 11:10 AM   #105
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Erdogan, Bolsonaro, Putin...

I don't quite understand the attraction of autocrats, but it sure helps to be their friend.
Old 30th September 2020, 09:10 PM   #106
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
India has periodic bouts of communal violence, such as the riots in Gujarat that left over 1000 people dead. Violence between castes also exists (10 deaths in 2018), albeit with a lower death toll. This sort of bigotry by politicians feeds into that, making such violence much more likely.

The U.S. has nothing on that scale. The worst of the riots in Furgeson were far less deadly than some of the riots in India that never even made the news over here.

The level of bigotry-related violence in India dwarfs that which the U.S. currently experiences. And their current political leadership encourages it.

The Indian Dalits attacked for wearing the wrong shoes

Caste hatred in India - what it looks like
I'm often shocked by news coming out of India with their very normalized vigilante violence, probably compounded by police corruption.

It's like the United States in the 1920s.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2020, 10:33 PM   #107
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

There are a lot pf parallels between the right wing dominance in governments across the globe.
They all have a favorite mackerel, called "Truth", they want to slap you with. This is all part of the age-old war between the rational and irrational. Absolute truths, on human faces, wear a death mask.
Old 1st October 2020, 12:04 AM   #108
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Latest from the cesspool that is UP. Currently being touted as the "best" state in India with the "best" Chief Minister (a temple priest, guess which party he belongs to.)
what-the-name-of-the-woman-raped-and-battered-in-hathras-says-about-the-crime

The police initially refused to file a First Information Report and only moved to arrest the perpetrators after public outrage. The moment the girl died after suffering in the hospital he body was siezed by the police and quickly burned. The members of the family were locked up in their houses and protestors beaten or arrested.
Hathras gang rape: India victim cremated 'without family's consent'
And no, it was not a cremation (that is not how a funeral pyer is laid out)...it was an incineration of the evidence.
There have been two other similar cases in the same state since then. In one, the perpetrators were muslims. However, the main difference is that the Muslim community did not take out processions in support of the rapists.
Old 1st October 2020, 11:33 AM   #109
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

The police initially refused to file a First Information Report and only moved to arrest the perpetrators after public outrage. The moment the girl died after suffering in the hospital he body was siezed by the police and quickly burned. The members of the family were locked up in their houses and protestors beaten or arrested.
I was just reading that story at BBC.

What a sick cult you have running the place there at the moment, and I can't see any means of changing it, so it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.
Old 1st October 2020, 03:43 PM   #110
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

At the risk of turning this into yet another USA politics thread, this is what those of us on the left fear could happen to the US if it continues the course it's been on for the last few years.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:30 AM   #111
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Yeah, India's once much valued image as a tolerant nation is now totally gone.
The sort of people who killed Gandhi are now running the country.
India's image as a tolerant nation was flushed down the toilet when they adopted the caste system.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:38 AM   #112
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
India's image as a tolerant nation was flushed down the toilet when they adopted the caste system.
I am sorry...they did not adopt the caste system. It is an inherent aspect of hinduism. Reform movements of the 19th and 20th centuries resulting from a more universal access to education primarily because of missionary activities and colonialism did somehow attach shame to the practice, so it was suppressed. Casteism has always been an inherent part of Indian socio-economy. The situation now is that it is being validated and normalized by the current government.
Old 2nd October 2020, 05:33 PM   #113
sackett
Philosopher

I am sorry...they did not adopt the caste system. It is an inherent aspect of hinduism. Reform movements of the 19th and 20th centuries resulting from a more universal access to education primarily because of missionary activities and colonialism did somehow attach shame to the practice, so it was suppressed. Casteism has always been an inherent part of Indian socio-economy. The situation now is that it is being validated and normalized by the current government.
I think captainhowdy is referring to a belief that the British solidified caste as a handy way of controlling the Indian population. Unsound, of course.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2020, 03:31 AM   #114
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Yogi Govt Enlists PR Firm to Push ‘Hathras Girl Was Not Raped’ Story Line With Foreign Media
Old 3rd October 2020, 07:20 AM   #115
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Oh good grief.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2020, 11:28 AM   #116
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

That's a very ugly place the country's being taken to. And probably no way to counter it.
Old 4th October 2020, 04:07 PM   #117
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Perhaps adopt isn't the right word. You're right that it is an inherent part of Hinduism. It's origins are murky but it is very old. It's importance varies from place to place and over time but it's always been there and will be very difficult to erase entirely. My point is that India has never been an equitable tolerant society and it never will be. It can't. The caste system makes that impossible.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events