ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th July 2017, 09:18 AM   #401
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Post 323

Want more? This thread is full 'em.
But do we know why they said it? Do we think they believe it or that they are merely lying to protect their I'll gotten gains? Thieves lie.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2017, 09:22 AM   #402
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Yes, it does. Which is why we do ourselves I disservice thinking about causes that way.
No, it doesn't. "About" does not mean "ultimately caused by". It means "concerned with."

If I say "What is this movie about?" I'm not asking what the directors influences were. I'm not asking for shop talk about the movie industry. I don't care about ultimate causes.

You have concocted an absurdly idiosyncratic definition for a well understood preposition for no other reason than to claim that the Civil War wasn't about slavery. Which is why you're coming across as an apologist.

Far from lending additional insight or doing yourself a service, this can only rob us of insight. The desire for wealth and status manifested itself in myriad ways in the antebellum South--what's notable about the manifestation that led to war is that it was called "slavery."

Last edited by mumblethrax; 9th July 2017 at 09:40 AM.
mumblethrax is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2017, 09:23 AM   #403
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Slavery is a social status, and the existence of slavery is about wealth )as well as relattive social status). Slaves were possessions, and were included in the inventory of wealth enumerated by their owners.

They also contributed to wealth by working without remuneration beyond their keep, and being unable to change their employers in search of better conditions of life. They could be sold, in the United States, because they were legally chattels.

The attempt to distinguish between wealth on one hand and slavery on the other is a distress signal, indicating intellectual desperation on the part of anyone ill-advised enough to embark on such a preposterous argument.
I don't know what you mean by distinguishing between wealth and slavery. However, I am parsing their motives.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2017, 09:25 AM   #404
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
No, it doesn't. "About" does not mean "ultimately caused by". It means "concerned with."

If I say "What is this movie about?" I'm not asking what the directors influences were. I'm not asking for shop talk about the movie industry. I don't care about ultimate causes.

You have concocted an absurdly idiosyncratic definition for a well understood preposition for no other reason than to claim that the Civil War isn't about slavery. Which is why you're coming across as an apologist.
I fully do expect a conversation of what a movie is about to be themes and not plot. "Slavery" is plot. "Greed" is theme.
Old 9th July 2017, 09:31 AM   #405
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

So either you disagree with what it means to be about something, or you think people Rob banks because they like money for looks and not purchasing power. What do you disagree with and why?

Note: there are bank robbers who limake the the thrill and not the money. But lets stick to the one who want money.
Wait a second here. I think you have just made the argument that A is not B except in the instances where it is. That's not the strongest argument I've ever seen.

Slavery is many things, and one of the things it can be called easily enough is a social status. Your position in society is radically changed if you are a slave. Slavery is many things, and one of them is what I would have thought is the abundantly obvious one of social status, since to be enslaved or enslaveable divides people socially so pervasively and radically. The poorest white trash could buy a black man and enslave him if he came into the money. The richest and most privileged black free man could not buy a white man and enslave him at any price. The poorest, worst miscreant of white blood, while he might get himself in any sort of trouble up to including execution for heinous crimes, would never need to fear that his behavior would result in enslavement. Any black person in a slave state had reason to fear that a mis-step, a mis-identification, or a lost document, would result in his enslavement. The poorest, barely literate, white man could vote. The richest, best educated, smartest black man could not. One of the aspects of this blatant and in-your-face difference is the social status that such a distinction imparts.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2017, 09:31 AM   #406
mumblethrax
Species traitor

I fully do expect a conversation of what a movie is about to be themes and not plot. "Slavery" is plot. "Greed" is theme.
Really? If you ask me "what is this movie about" you expect nothing about plot? No synopsis, just an immediate discussion of themes?

I get the very strong sense that you're just making this up as you go along.
mumblethrax is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2017, 09:33 AM   #407
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
Really? If you ask me "what is this movie about" you expect nothing about plot? No synopsis, just an immediate discussion of themes?

I get the very strong sense that you're just making this up as you go along.
Really.
Old 9th July 2017, 09:35 AM   #408
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

But do we know why they said it? Do we think they believe it or that they are merely lying to protect their I'll gotten gains? Thieves lie.
Occam's Razor.
Old 9th July 2017, 09:35 AM   #409
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Really.
Then you're just not pragmatically competent.

If you ask what Brokeback Mountain is about, "Gay cowboys" is a perfectly serviceable answer.
Old 9th July 2017, 09:36 AM   #410
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Occam's Razor.
Im glad we can agree to apply that. They are lying.
Old 9th July 2017, 09:37 AM   #411
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know what you mean by distinguishing between wealth and slavery. However, I am parsing their motives.
If a society is a chattel slave society in which slaves are commodities it is impossible to say that such and such is about wealth, not slavery. Slaves couldn't be separated from the value attributed to them in the market. They could be bought, sold and used as security against loans. Just as for example motor cars or the like may be today.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2017, 09:39 AM   #412
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Im glad we can agree to apply that. They are lying.
You are being intellectually dishonest again.
Old 9th July 2017, 09:40 AM   #413
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

You are being intellectually dishonest again.
Another point we disagree on.
Old 9th July 2017, 09:44 AM   #414
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Bob do you have a point or are you just playing the contrarian because you want to argue?
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2017, 09:46 AM   #415
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Another point we disagree on.
You mean you didn't know you were misrepresenting my statement and position? You're going with stupidity over dishonesty?
Old 9th July 2017, 09:48 AM   #416
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

You mean you didn't know you were misrepresenting my statement and position? You're going with stupidity over dishonesty?
I'm saying we disagree with what Occam's razor leads us to conclude and we disagree won your assertion that I cannot reach my conclusion with intellectual honesty.
Old 9th July 2017, 09:49 AM   #417
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
Bob do you have a point or are you just playing the contrarian because you want to argue?
I told you repeatedly what my point is. I understand if you think it is or wrong or simply don't think it is a position worth distinguishing.
Old 9th July 2017, 09:52 AM   #418
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
If a society is a chattel slave society in which slaves are commodities it is impossible to say that such and such is about wealth, not slavery. Slaves couldn't be separated from the value attributed to them in the market. They could be bought, sold and used as security against loans. Just as for example motor cars or the like may be today.
It is possible to separate. It can be done by looking at the counter factual where the value of slave labor is zero. If the appetite for promoting slavery evaporates, then it wasn't because they thought slavery was the natural order, they just liked cheap labor.
Old 9th July 2017, 10:16 AM   #419
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I'm saying we disagree with what Occam's razor leads us to conclude and we disagree won your assertion that I cannot reach my conclusion with intellectual honesty.
It takes more assumptions to arrive at the conclusion that entire Confederacy was lying.
Old 9th July 2017, 10:36 AM   #420
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

It takes more assumptions to arrive at the conclusion that entire Confederacy was lying.
Most Southerners would never have to make arguments to justify their system.
Old 9th July 2017, 10:38 AM   #421
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Most Southerners would never have to make arguments to justify their system.
I have no idea how that, in any way, relates to the post you are responding to.
Old 9th July 2017, 10:43 AM   #422
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I have no idea how that, in any way, relates to the post you are responding to.
Most would have no need to lie, so it doesn't require the whole south to lie.
Old 9th July 2017, 10:45 AM   #423
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

It is possible to separate. It can be done by looking at the counter factual where the value of slave labor is zero. If the appetite for promoting slavery evaporates, then it wasn't because they thought slavery was the natural order, they just liked cheap labor.
They liked to think cheap labour was the natural order too.

Yes, by assuming counter factuals, as Southern apologists have already done in this discussion, it is possible to arrive at counter factual conclusions. That is no surprise.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2017, 10:48 AM   #424
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"If we make up the assumptions, the argument, and the conclusion we're obviously right."
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2017, 10:50 AM   #425
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Most would have no need to lie, so it doesn't require the whole south to lie.
I didn't say the whole South. I said the Confederacy.
Old 9th July 2017, 10:52 AM   #426
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I didn't say the whole South. I said the Confederacy.
I thought we were using them interchangeably. Feel free to make the switch in your head on what I wrote.
Old 9th July 2017, 10:57 AM   #427
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I thought we were using them interchangeably. Feel free to make the switch in your head on what I wrote.
Okay, still demonstrably false
Old 9th July 2017, 11:03 AM   #428
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Okay, still demonstrably false
That they were lying?
Old 9th July 2017, 11:33 AM   #429
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

That they were lying?
No, that you have fewer assumptions.
Old 9th July 2017, 11:34 AM   #430
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

No, that you have fewer assumptions.
Okay.bi see what you are getting at. Occam's razor would be that the statements made by the criminals is what they believe.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 9th July 2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 9th July 2017, 11:55 AM   #431
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Okay.bi see what you are getting at. Occam's razor would be that the statements made by the criminals is what they believe.
They did not see themselves as criminals. To assume that they would lie because of something they didn't believe in themselves is silly.

Last edited by Upchurch; 9th July 2017 at 11:57 AM.
Upchurch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2017, 11:56 AM   #432
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
I have a better idea: let's just say that the Civil War was fought because of slavery. Then, let's forget the South's motivation. They lost so who cares about them anyway?
Obviously a lot of people still care about them, which is why this thread exists - because there are monuments to the slavers that exist today that try to (literally) white-wash the slavery aspect, that many people wish to get rid of, that still others want to keep.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2017, 08:21 PM   #433
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

One of the problems of the whitewashing, though, is that it falls back on "heritage." But you know, some of the rest of us have heritage too. What's so retroactively special about the heritage of treason and loss? If my heritage whipped your heritage's ass and burned your heritage's plantations to the ground, why shouldn't my heritage now tell your heritage to stuff it again.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 01:02 AM   #434
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Bob's point seems to be that the south fought the civil war to protect it's wealth, which was in the form of slaves.

This seems somewhat reasonable to me, but it doesn't change the fact that they were fighting a war to protect the institution of slavery. Why they wanted to protect that institution might be an interesting question, and "because it increased their wealth and status" may certainly be part of the answer to that question. But it doesn't change the fact that they were fighting the war to maintain that institution.

The back robber analogy that he presented actually makes this very clear: if someone robs a bank to get money, that's true regardless of why they want that money. Maybe they want to spend it, maybe they want to give it to someone, maybe they want to throw it in a room and swim in it. All of those are consistent with the statement that they robbed the bank in order to get the money.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 01:32 AM   #435
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

They did not see themselves as criminals. To assume that they would lie because of something they didn't believe in themselves is silly.
Exactly.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 01:59 AM   #436
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
One of the problems of the whitewashing, though, is that it falls back on "heritage." But you know, some of the rest of us have heritage too. What's so retroactively special about the heritage of treason and loss? If my heritage whipped your heritage's ass and burned your heritage's plantations to the ground, why shouldn't my heritage now tell your heritage to stuff it again.
The most interesting part is that it presents itself, specifically and insultingly, as "Southern" heritage. This simply wipes out both the great majority of US history, but also regional variation - and blatantly erases non-white southerners as members of "the South." IOW, the defense itself is racist on it's face, as well as a clear demonstration of the "Lost Cause" mythology.

These have likely all been raised before - these weak-arsed apologetics get boring and repetitive very quickly, and it's simply not worth reading through the entire thread, so iuf I'm being repetitive, so be it .
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 02:07 AM   #437
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

You can't have a discussion about causes or what something is about without litigating what it means for something to be a cause.
You most certainly can and at ISF, it's generally confined to the R&P subforum. You may not understand this, but there are quite a few people who enjoy discussion of all kinds of topics which do not necessarily touch upon philosophy and who are most willing to agree to the definitions of words and concepts (foregoing your "causal litigation").

In fact, it seems that people were coming along just fine in this thread before you decided to turn it into a philosophical side-track.

I will not prove that, but I'm not actually required to agree to terms that we haven't arrived at before. You are free to do with that as you wish.
In light of this, can you point to the agreement we all have given to divert into the philosophical litigation of what it means for something to be a cause?
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 03:07 AM   #438
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
And here we have a prime example of smug Northerners of today pointing fingers at the uncivilized Southerners because slavery ended thirty or forty years earlier in the North than in the South.
Except for things like southerners living there and so on. It isn't like a state really had the right to outlaw slavery in its boarders.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 07:05 AM   #439
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post

In light of this, can you point to the agreement we all have given to divert into the philosophical litigation of what it means for something to be a cause?
You haven't. You are free to not respond to it. Your conversations will just be much more poor for it.
Old 10th July 2017, 09:56 AM   #440
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

I'm no expert on the topic, but why couldn't refugee slaves that escaped to the North just simply not have been returned without secession? Assuming all other things being equal, it would have accomplished the same thing.
Setting aside ethical arguments, think about it from the perspective of the southerns at the time. They viewed slaves as property. They were owned. Failure to return missing property is tantamount to theft.

Consider if a rancher's fence broke, and all of his cattle wandered into his neighbor's field. If that neighbor refused to return the cattle to the rightful owner, the owner would very likely consider it theft.

In the case of slavery, it was compounded by this 'theft' being backed by the government. Contrary to all existing property laws, the government of many states as well as the federal government all essentially said "It's okay to receive stolen goods, as long as you don't like the beliefs of the people from whom they were stolen".

Now, you and I and everyone else in this thread understands and accepts that human beings should not be considered property. Like I said, the ethics of the situation, especially from a 21st century perspective, are fairly irrelevant. At the time, slavery was legal. According to the rule of law in existence at that time, those slaves were the property of their owners. Within that context, it's a legitimate complaint, regardless of how much I disagree with the ethics of it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events