ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th September 2018, 06:08 AM   #1
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Americans Are Shifting The Rest Of Their Identity To Match Their Politics

Quote:
We generally think of a person’s race or religion as being fixed — and that those parts of identity (being black, say, or evangelical Christian) drive political views. Most African-Americans vote Democratic. Most evangelical Christians vote Republican. But New York University political scientist Patrick Egan has written a new paper showing evidence that identity and politics operate in the opposite direction too — people shift the non-political parts of their identity, including ethnicity and religion, to align better with being a Democrat or a Republican.
Article at 538.com: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...heir-politics/

Dropbox Link to Full Study (Large PDF): https://www.dropbox.com/s/3tjpfg50hw....2018.pdf?dl=0
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 06:29 AM   #2
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

That's... strange. I would have thought that political affiliation isn't as central to someone's identity as ethnicity, religion or sexual preference.

I could see how people might choose to identify more closely with their heritage, or move towards or away from a certain religion, but I suppose that the Republicans who stop describing themselves as gay are still attracted to people of the same sex and don't plan on getting into a heterosexual relationship... How does that work?
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 06:32 AM   #3
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I always wonder what the implications of these is for us crazy third party voters. But we are probably just a bunch of bomb throwers.

...Bortles!!!
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 10:18 AM   #4
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

The evidence provided that Americans are shifting their identity to match the political positions of the political party they associate with is mildly convincing. What psychological factors do you attribute to this shift in behavior?
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 08:24 PM   #5
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Increasingly, the political party you belong to represents a big part of your identity and is not just a reflection of your political views. It may even be your most important identity.
Coming from a country where literally no one represents themselves by the political party they support, this just seems incredibly insane.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 14th September 2018 at 08:26 PM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 09:21 PM   #6
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Coming from a country where literally no one represents themselves by the political party they support, this just seems incredibly insane.
At a local level, I've seen Republicans and Democrats align themselves differently. In my old county a Democrat and 2 Republicans formed a coalition promoting a certain highway. Meanwhile a Republican member fought the highway. The alignments were for unbridled growth vs. controlled growth. But nationally, we do have a two-party system and maybe it's inevitable they ended up at each other's throat.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 10:40 PM   #7
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
That's... strange.
No, it makes perfect sense. A person's political leanings are not determined by the color of their skin or what religion they were brought up in. It's more fundamental than that...

Political Orientations Are Correlated with Brain Structure
Quote:
Substantial differences exist in the cognitive styles of liberals and conservatives on psychological measures. Variability in political attitudes reflects genetic influences and their interaction with environmental factors. Recent work has shown a correlation between liberalism and conflict-related activity measured by event-related potentials originating in the anterior cingulate cortex. Here we show that this functional correlate of political attitudes has a counterpart in brain structure.
Conservatives fear change, while liberals embrace it. And personality is fundamentally determined by genetics, independently of other traits such as race and sexual orientation.

When people say their skin color or who they have sex with doesn't define them, they are right. But their personality does. So when there is a conflict between political identity and other things (eg. a conservative being black and/or gay) the other things have to change. Logically impossible? Sure, but when there is conflict between logic and who you are, logic takes a back seat.
Old 14th September 2018, 10:46 PM   #8
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

If political preference is determined by brain structure, then it makes as little sense to hate conservatives for being conservative, as it does to hate homosexuals for being homosexual. I would appeal to your sense of human empathy, but your brain structure probably prevents such appeals from registering.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 11:14 PM   #9
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
If political preference is determined by brain structure, then it makes as little sense to hate conservatives for being conservative, as it does to hate homosexuals for being homosexual. I would appeal to your sense of human empathy, but your brain structure probably prevents such appeals from registering.
... or we could go with Eugenics...

just kidding.

or am I?

yes, yes I am.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 11:25 PM   #10
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
... or we could go with Eugenics...

just kidding.

or am I?

yes, yes I am.
I don't think you are kidding at all. I think that the moment you decided to believe that all politics is genetic, you decided that political genocide was the best survival strategy for you and yours.

One more reason for me to vote for Trump, no matter how bad he is, before I ever vote for your "rational" candidate.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 11:53 PM   #11
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I don't think you are kidding at all. I think that the moment you decided to believe that all politics is genetic, you decided that political genocide was the best survival strategy for you and yours.

One more reason for me to vote for Trump, no matter how bad he is, before I ever vote for your "rational" candidate.
I am making fun of people who think this way.
Show me one Twin Study that supports that political ideology is hardwired.
"Genopolitics" is a buzzword, and not much more. If you think that your party affiliation is determined before birth, you have to give up on democracy.

No, eugenics can never be the answer, since it reduces genetic diversity, which can only harm the species.
I am quite worried that you can entertain the idea that your political opponents want to purge people of a certain ideology from the gene-pool.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2018, 06:10 AM   #12
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

That is fantastically paranoid.
Old 16th September 2018, 06:18 AM   #13
Diablo
Muse

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
That's... strange. I would have thought that political affiliation isn't as central to someone's identity as ethnicity, religion or sexual preference.

I could see how people might choose to identify more closely with their heritage, or move towards or away from a certain religion, but I suppose that the Republicans who stop describing themselves as gay are still attracted to people of the same sex and don't plan on getting into a heterosexual relationship... How does that work?
I would imagine that there are plenty of people still in the closet, and maybe married, because of their position in society. There was a site I saw some time ago which outed such people.
Diablo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2018, 12:43 PM   #14
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
That is fantastically paranoid.
One more way for theprestige to justify his love for Trump.

"the other side is just so much worse they want political genocide"
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2018, 07:08 AM   #15
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

I don't believe that politics is/are getting more important to people's self-definitions.

I do believe that political labels are more often getting used to sum up who people are.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2018, 07:25 AM   #16
Belz...
Fiend God

What in the blue hell are you babbling about? Are you accusing him of planning for the extermination of his political opponents? That's the kind of stuff logger was arguing for.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2018, 09:17 AM   #17
Donal
Illuminator

I wonder if this has to do with the GOP going hard core with the religious language the last 40 years or so. I'd like to see just how many Republican politicians and pundits identify themselves as a Christian first.

Contrast this with how post-WW2 in the US became mostly about civil rights (or "identity politics)for disenfranchised groups and you can see where this started.

At least, that's what it looks like to me.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2018, 11:18 AM   #18
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Man, you REALLY like your strawman arguments, don't you?

LOL
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2018, 12:26 PM   #19
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Hey, I'd be all for this, if the conservatives would just stick to ******* other conservatives. Alas, unlike the homosexuals, they're keen to **** everybody.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics