ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 26th September 2020, 07:37 AM   #321
Leftus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by MMarco View Post
Please do not take it as a personal offence, not my intention.
But you guys post always the same comment, do not read the answer and report the same comment again.
This is really boring..
It's the same comment because you refuse to address it. Why can't you put a word count to the melody of the song? Or does it not count as part of the memorization? Also, why can't you identify your claim of big money for this mundane task? If you can't answer it when challenged on it, why repeat it?
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 08:05 AM   #322
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Here is an interesting video

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Why do you think it is interesting?
Old 26th September 2020, 05:13 PM   #323
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster

The verification process was broadcast live on CH9?
Learn to Read. The verification process is set out by the journalist's in her own words, in the original article.

I'm suspicious that you are not reading anything that doesn't support your religious claim.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 05:29 PM   #324
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster

I previously supplied evidence it takes 56 hours to read a million words, which is an average novel. If the Mingun Savdaw had to memorise 2 million words over five years that's 56 hours X 2 divided by 5 years or 22 hours of reading per year. That's not much verse to read over and over again to memorise.

Additionally, if the complete series of Harry Potter books is more than 2 million words we can chuck the Mingun Saydaw out the window and rename this thread the Becky Sharrock ,from Australia, and her excellent memory abilities

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Becky Sharrock.jpg (50.2 KB, 1 views)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 06:44 PM   #325
JimOfAllTrades
Muse

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
I previously supplied evidence it takes 56 hours to read a million words, which is an average novel. If the Mingun Savdaw had to memorise 2 million words over five years that's 56 hours X 2 divided by 5 years or 22 hours of reading per year. That's not much verse to read over and over again to memorise.

Additionally, if the complete series of Harry Potter books is more than 2 million words we can chuck the Mingun Saydaw out the window and rename this thread the Becky Sharrock ,from Australia, and her excellent memory abilities

Your numbers are little bit out. I think the average novel is more like a hundred thousand words rather than a million, and the total word count in the Harry Potter novels is just over a million words, not two million, according to these sites:
https://blog.fostergrant.co.uk/2017/...%2C253%20words
https://wordcounter.net/blog/2015/11...ry-potter.html
https://www.reddit.com/r/harrypotter..._each_hp_book/

The 56 hours per million words seems about right, that requires only about 300 words per minute. That's not really very fast.

And even with all that I do agree that Harry Potter claim is at least as impressive as the monk claim.
JimOfAllTrades is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 07:57 PM   #326
MMarco
Scholar

Learn to Read. The verification process is set out by the journalist's in her own words, in the original article.

I'm suspicious that you are not reading anything that doesn't support your religious claim.
I am not so sure my claim is "religious" in any ways.
And I think there is quite a difference between having a monk confronted and examined by 33 days or so by a panel of experts from the Government and a short interview with one (?) part of the text check by a journalist without any other person to confirm
If you do not appreciate this difference the only thing I can say is that we have different opinions.

Originally Posted by JimOfAllTrades View Post
And even with all that I do agree that Harry Potter claim is at least as impressive as the monk claim.
I do agree that, in fact the Harry Potter girl claim may indeed involve a larger amount of text than the monks examined in Myanmar.
The main issue I have with the Harry Potter girl is that the verification process that has been held on her seems to me to have been way less stringent than the verification process that has been held on the monks.
Infact, I would not call that one as "verification"

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Why do you think it is interesting?
If you do not think it is, why you keep writing here?
I am not trying to be rude, just wondering why people with no interest in the subject keep writing here

Last edited by MMarco; 26th September 2020 at 07:58 PM.
MMarco is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 09:28 PM   #327
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JimOfAllTrades View Post
Your numbers are little bit out. I think the average novel is more like a hundred thousand words rather than a million
As already quoted.....

"Typical documents that are 1,000,000 words or more include full-length novels."
https://capitalizemytitle.com/readin...erage%20reader
Old 26th September 2020, 09:34 PM   #328
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster

I am not so sure my claim is "religious" in any ways.
Buddhist repetitive verse sutras being remembered in a Buddhist exam, by a Buddhist monk, isn't religious?

I do agree that, in fact the Harry Potter girl claim may indeed involve a larger amount of text than the monks examined in Myanmar.
Harry Potter novels aren't in repetitive verse for easy memorising.
Old 26th September 2020, 11:03 PM   #329
MMarco
Scholar

Buddhist repetitive verse sutras being remembered in a Buddhist exam, by a Buddhist monk, isn't religious?
The claim in itself is not religious in nature

Harry Potter novels aren't in repetitive verse for easy memorising.
Waiting for evidence of proper verification.
MMarco is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:26 AM   #330
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster

It's in the article that we quoted and linked for you. You refuse to read it because it verifies the claim.

It's pretty obvious you can't do basic research.
"Researchers like Associate Professor Gail Robinson, a clinical neuropsychologist at the University of Queensland, have been working with Ms Sharrock to try to understand how her brain manages to encode such detailed memories."
https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/...emory/10255284

Tsk tsk tsk..... are there any other unverified claims you want to make about people doing rather ordinary things?
Old Yesterday, 03:41 AM   #331
MMarco
Scholar

It's in the article that we quoted and linked for you. You refuse to read it because it verifies the claim.

It's pretty obvious you can't do basic research.
"Researchers like Associate Professor Gail Robinson, a clinical neuropsychologist at the University of Queensland, have been working with Ms Sharrock to try to understand how her brain manages to encode such detailed memories."
https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/...emory/10255284

Tsk tsk tsk..... are there any other unverified claims you want to make about people doing rather ordinary things?
Is there any evidence that the researchers like Associate Professor Gail Robinson, a clinical neuropsychologist at the University of Queensland have verified the claims about memorization of the Harry Potter book by that girl?
If not, waht are we talking about ?
Old Yesterday, 03:55 AM   #332
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
I am not trying to be rude, just wondering why people with no interest in the subject keep writing here
It's a part of common courtesy here to provide some kind of a summary of the content of a video, rather than just linking to it.
Perhaps if you weren't so intent on taking offence at everything anyone says to you, you would have realised this yourself.
Old Yesterday, 06:46 AM   #333
Leftus
Master Poster

You accepted the monks claims without proper verification. And no, the Guinness book of world records doesn't count. Back then, they did not have proper verification protocols.

Now, can I get a word count value for the melody of a song? The TV shows and programs I can go on to make the big bucks? And an amount of the big bucks we are talking about?

Or can you make claims without support and we must take them at face value, and nobody else can?
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM   #334
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

I didn't say it wasn't interesting.

I asked why you thought it was.

Why are you posting a video if you do not have an opinion about it?

What about that video would lead us to believe there is something extraordinary about Mingun Sayadaw's memory?
Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM   #335
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

If it has been done it is de-facto within the limits of what is humanly possible.
So what is the point of your comment?
To make clear that I find the claim plausible even if nobody has yet proven to have done it.

Quote:
Well, there has been verification by a government commission on some of the claims so..

<snip extraneous material>

Not really as there has been exams done in front of a panel from the Myanmar Government, which is not something that happened for the Harry Potter' s girl, for UFOs and for the Lochness monster and for ESP as far as I know.
My bad. I was referring to your most recent summary, where you said:

the alleged feat by Ven. Mingun Sayadaw in 1954 has not been properly verified, apparently
But that's okay.

Do you think it can be done?

Do you think the Ven. Sayadaw did it?

Do you think it was verified that he did it?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM   #336
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
This is about the third time I have posted it. I have no idea if there has been any further verification of her claim.
Maybe Google does not work where he lives? I easily found the Wikipedia page for HyperthymesiaWP. Lots of documented cases. Research time < 5 minutes.
Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM   #337
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM   #338
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster

Is there any evidence that the researchers like Associate Professor Gail Robinson, a clinical neuropsychologist at the University of Queensland have verified the claims about memorization of the Harry Potter book by that girl?
Yes read the links. That's why the university confirms Becky Sharrock is one of sixty people in the world with (H-SAM).

Your turn. How is your research contacting the Myanmar Buddhist Centre going.......or have you lost interest again?
Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM   #339
MMarco
Scholar

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
You accepted the monks claims without proper verification.
Verification has been done.
Whether it had been proper or not, we can discuss about it.
The HP girl claim about HP memorization has not been verified by any panel AFAIK

Yes read the links. That's why the university confirms Becky Sharrock is one of sixty people in the world with (H-SAM).
I am new to H-SAM so I would like to know what has H-SAM to do with verifiably remembering of large parts of texts.

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Maybe Google does not work where he lives? I easily found the Wikipedia page for HyperthymesiaWP. Lots of documented cases. Research time < 5 minutes.
Google works well where I live and I have checked the WP link.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
It seems that Hyperthymesia has little to do with remembering large swaths of texts.
Which is what we should be talking about.
Except that, for some reason, instead of attracting people willing to discuss feats about remembering large swaths of texts, this thread seems to attract large swaths of trolls.

Last edited by MMarco; Yesterday at 04:45 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM   #340
MMarco
Scholar

I do not think we have got anything new to discuss.
As for me, I tried to contact the Department of Religious Affair at the Ministry in Myanmar but got no reply.
No reply from the GWR as well.
So this is what we have so far.
Unless some real news comes along, I think it is possible to wrap up the investigation here.
We have some evidence that Myanmar monks are able to remember and recall very large swaths of text with no other human being being able to come close to that in a verified way.
This does not mean such monks are achieving their feat in any paranormal or supernatural way.

I have not much to add at the moment so unless someone comes along with some real piece of info (lyrics of songs, Harry potter girls, melodies, H-SAM and Lochness monsters are not on-topic) I will consider my contribution to the thread as closed.
Old Yesterday, 05:14 PM   #341
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster

Rebecca Sharrock and H-SAM

The HP girl claim about HP memorization has not been verified by any panel AFAIK
It was done both by Australian and USA universities to allow research into H-SAM. You refuse to do research or read articles.

I am new to H-SAM so I would like to know what has H-SAM to do with verifiably remembering of large parts of texts.
So you do not even know the topic you are posting about and refuse to read any of the links we have given you that explain the H-SAM disorder.

Have you contacted the Myamar Buddhist Centre yet to ask what books monks had to remember over five years of exams? That would be "No" right?
Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM   #342
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster

We have some evidence that Myanmar monks are able to remember and recall very large swaths of text with no other human being being able to come close to that in a verified way.
Nope. You can't even tell us what books each of those normal 15 monks had to learn each year to pass the five years of exams.

Your claim has been debunked.

Religious Propaganda in Myanmar
Ethnic and religious nationalism has increasingly gripped Myanmar since intercommunal violence broke out between Burmese Buddhists and Rohingya Muslims in 2012. Viral disinformation, including videos of alleged terrorist attacks and anti-Rohingya propaganda linked to military accounts, has spread on Facebook, deepening divides along lines of ethnic and religious identity. With national elections looming in November, fake news and anti-Muslim hate speech inspired by militant Buddhist nationalism have the potential to incite further conflict.
https://www.lowyinstitute.org/the-in...nmar-elections

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal